Motor City Sonics

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Detroit Red Wings ROUND 2

Lidstrom has confirmed that he'll play Game 1

From Chris Johnston of Canadian Press' Twitter: "Reading between the lines, I wouldn't be surprised if Datsyuk was out of the redwings lineup until Game 3 on Tuesday. Just a guess though."

Yeah, I'm afraid that might be the case and he might have a serious foot injury. And, unfortunately, games one and two are on consecutive days so if he's out for game one, good chance they won't stick him in for game two. This is the SCF so you're not sitting unless there is something seriously wrong. Stevie Y showed the lengths players are willing to go to play. I suppose that 'C' on his jersey added even more encouragement to that willingness.

Since the Finals usually comes down to defense and goalies, if MAF, Evegni and Crosby, especially MAF, have another series like he did against Carolina, I really hate saying this, but I'm thinking the Wings are going have a lot to handle. The Red Wings certainly stack up nicely offensively, in Franzen, Zetterberg and secondary scoring from the likes of Cleary, Sammy and Hudler, but much will depend on how consistent Osgood is, and how banged up (if indeed they are), the Wings defense.

Since the Finals usually comes down to defense and goalies, if MAF, Evegni and Crosby, especially MAF, have another series like he did against Carolina, I really hate saying this, but I'm thinking the Wings are going have a lot to handle. The Red Wings certainly stack up nicely offensively, in Franzen, Zetterberg and secondary scoring from the likes of Cleary, Sammy and Hudler, but much will depend on how consistent Osgood is, and how banged up (if indeed they are), the Wings defense.

You're basically comparing The Red Wings to the Hurricanes.

You're basically comparing The Red Wings to the Hurricanes.

Well, IMO the Hurricanes were/are a solid team. I wasn't necessarily comparing the Red Wings with anyone. But Carolina, as good as they are, and I don't think anyone can deny that, given their wins in the fist and second rounds (NJD and Boston) just ran into a Penguin squad clicking on all cylinders, including a goalie in MAF who was also superb. What I'm saying is the Red Wings, as capable as they are, will be challenged, if Pittsburgh has another series like they had against Carolina.

I think the Red Wings are far superior to the Hurricanes in every category. Not even close, really. I think this is going to be a tough series, probably 6 games -- and I think the Pens can with it -- but their play against the Hurricanes means nothing to me, just as Detroit's stomping of Chicago in 5 should mean nothing to Penguins fans.

And I would add to my previous post, that out of any other team in the East, Carolina, IMO, was the best equipped and capable of knocking off Pittsburgh. Didn't happen though. Lots of variables at work now. So I guess we'll just have see if Detroit will re-peat. Not saying they can't but it will be a contested series.

Marian Hossa has got to be wondering what it would be like to lose again. He may be DRWs ace in the hole. I hope so anyway.

And I would add to my previous post, that out of any other team in the East, Carolina, IMO, was the best equipped and capable of knocking off Pittsburgh. Didn't happen though. Lots of variables at work now. So I guess we'll just have see if Detroit will re-peat. Not saying they can't but it will be a contested series.

Washington was by far the best equipped to knock off the Pens, and they almost did. Carolina was the most overrated team in the Conference Finals.

Marian Hossa has got to be wondering what it would be like to lose again. He may be DRWs ace in the hole. I hope so anyway.

Image removed due to language content. You should really know better.

Everyone that plays the Wings has to deal with their seemingly neverending depth and skill. Teams have to respond to them and not the other way around. The big question for me is can the Pens take advantage of the one glaring weakness on this Wings team. The PK has been horrible and even with some nice looking kills against the Hawks they were still at only 75% over the series. If the Wings can stay out of the box they are almost unbeatable. If not, they could be in deep trouble this time around.

I'm also interested to see how the Wings handle a team with more than one big line. The Ducks had great defense but really only 1 strong scoring line. The Hawks without Havlat quickly became the same. The Pens have 3 lines with guy capable of finding the back of the net.

This looks to be a great series.

Edited by Hongbit

Because I care, a PG version:

hossa.jpg

hossa.jpg

He gave up $49.5 mill over 6 years (or so) with Pit, for a one year with about $7.5 mill with DRW. I have to think he'll turn it into a Stanley Cup. The Last couple of games against Chicago were only a start. Hope he keeps it going. Has a way yet to catch up with his former team mates.:happy:

hossa.jpg

for people wondering the original one said

"(word that rhymes with Puck) This

I am going to play for the other team"

I guess the Wings' weren't good last night, only lucky. At least according to some. Such as Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in his article "No Worries ... Penguins Still Better".

Better than last year? Better losing 3-1 in the opener than 4-0? Maybe.

Better than the Wings? We'll see, but I haven't seen anything close to proof of that yet.