Motor City Sonics

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Detroit Red Wings ROUND 2

I'll wait for the injury report to come out before making a prediction.

I can't see the Wings winning this series without Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Draper, and Ericsson.

This blows, I'll be in Ohio on Saturday and Sunday.

Oh well sucks to be my Columbus family for those games.

Crosby is calmer

Malkin hit the switch finally in the Capitals series

Guerin had added leadership.

Fleury is more confidant.

They all have more experience.

Its going to be much tougher on the Wings this time. If the Wings don't have Lidstrom or Pavel Datsuyk at or near 100%, its gonna be awfully tough. I thought the Wings defense was pretty sloppy tonight, they left Ozzie out to dry too much for comfort. He stepped up and saved their arse. Stuart, Rafalski and Kronwall were good, but the other 3 made some big defensive mistakes. Lebda's saving grace was that he was in on both goals......but he had a hard time clearing the puck at times tonight.

They do have Satan on their side, that could be good or bad.

The Wings are modeled somewhat after those 90s Wings team Crosby (Yzerman) Malkin (Fedorov) Guein (Shanahan), they've learned they have to play defense in the playoffs. They learned a lot from losing last year. It really all depends on the health of Lidstrom and Datsyuk.....if those guys are healty, it gives them a chance

Edited by Motor City Sonics

This blows, I'll be in Ohio on Saturday and Sunday.

Oh well sucks to be my Columbus family for those games.

Disown them. They're from Columbus, what could they do for you anyway.

Disown them. They're from Columbus, what could they do for you anyway.

Well, they are all OSU grads....spose they could get me a job at walmart....:paranoid:

Crosby is calmer

Malkin hit the switch finally in the Capitals series

Guerin had added leadership.

Fleury is more confidant.

They all have more experience.

Its going to be much tougher on the Wings this time. If the Wings don't have Lidstrom or Pavel Datsuyk at or near 100%, its gonna be awfully tough. I thought the Wings defense was pretty sloppy tonight, they left Ozzie out to dry too much for comfort. He stepped up and saved their arse. Stuart, Rafalski and Kronwall were good, but the other 3 made some big defensive mistakes. Lebda's saving grace was that he was in on both goals......but he had a hard time clearing the puck at times tonight.

They do have Satan on their side, that could be good or bad.

The Wings are modeled somewhat after those 90s Wings team Crosby (Yzerman) Malkin (Fedorov) Guein (Shanahan), they've learned they have to play defense in the playoffs. They learned a lot from losing last year. It really all depends on the health of Lidstrom and Datsyuk.....if those guys are healty, it gives them a chance

So basicly this post is saying it is a 2 on 2 matchup and Detroit's 2, Lindstron and Datsyuk, are out. Really?....REALLY??

No offense but the Ducks where the best team by far in the playoffs and we offed them. (dont throw the whole 8th seed bs at me either, they were above and beyond an 8th seed they just played like crap regular season)

If Detroit can down a stacked team like the Ducks they can down the Pens. The same reason Detroit made Chicago look like a bunch of OHL players is the same reason Detroit is a serious favorite to win this cup. When it is 4 lines vs 2 players the 4 lines will win almost every time

Gonchar Lidstrom

Gill Rafalski

Scuderi Stuart

Orpik Kronwall

Eaton Ericsson

Letang Lebda

This won't be a long series, the defensive depth just isn't there for the penguins

Is it just me or does it seem like the NHL is really wanting the Penguins to win? Next Saturday was when it was originally supposed to start, which would help the injured Wings, but now it starts Saturday with back to back games? Seems a bit odd.... This is why I love hockey, but hate the NHL at times.

The problem is TV. NBC gets games 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and Versus gets to carry games 3 and 4. NBC's wants the series to start on the weekend, and versus gets 2 weekday games. If it didn't start this Friday or Saturday, then the series couldn't start until next Friday.

Personally I hate that sports bend their schedule for TV. The idea of TV timeouts pisses me off. There's plenty of time between periods/quarters/halfs to get to the advertising. TV shouldn't be allowed to mess with the natural flow of a sporting event.

when they pay for it then they can do what they want. Or the NHL can buy the time from NBC and make it an infomerical, which is essentially what the Pistons do on non FSD games.

Detroit really has to have Lidstrom and Datsyuk back to win this series. Even if they play, there's no guarantee that they'll be at full power. I can see the Pens winning this series even if those two play, but without them -- and Ericsson, too, although it sounds like he'll definitely be back -- I don't think Detroit has a chance. I like to bag on Crosby as much as anyone else, but he's been phenomenal this year, and Malkin is a better all around player, IMO. This series will come down to which team plays better defense, and Crosby and Malkin are playing so good right now, that it might not even matter if Detroit plays slightly better D than Pitt.

Is it just me or does it seem like the NHL is really wanting the Penguins to win? Next Saturday was when it was originally supposed to start, which would help the injured Wings, but now it starts Saturday with back to back games? Seems a bit odd.... This is why I love hockey, but hate the NHL at times.

I think way too much of an issue is being made of this. This isn't against you; I've heard dozens railing about it so you're not alone.

A 9 day layoff would have been nuts. A 2 day layoff between series is not unreasonably short. In the past, series would often start after just one day off. Back to back is unusual for the playoffs, but there is no travel involved and it's common in the regular season. This wouldn't be a big deal if a) the Wings didn't have a couple of key injuries, which is a variable that always makes the Cup such a big deal to win; or b) the Wings had swept Chicago and finished this past Sunday, the way the Penguins swept Carolina, giving them 5 days off.

Also, other than Versus and NBC working out a deal to change the game numbers that each are carrying, what could be done there. I'm even surprised NBC is giving the NHL Sunday and Tuesday (Game 6) prime time slots, given the NHL's ratings. And while people say the NBC shouldn't dictate the schedule, the same people would be griping if the NHL said screw NBC and put those games on harder-to-find Versus instead.

Gonchar Lidstrom

Gill Rafalski

Scuderi Stuart

Orpik Kronwall

Eaton Ericsson

Letang Lebda

This won't be a long series, the defensive depth just isn't there for the penguins

This is truth. People talk about how the Pens have learned and are ready to take the next step, but the D is not very good and should get eaten up in the slot and down low.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/05/red_wings_nicklas_lidstrom_exp_1.html

Red Wings' Nicklas Lidstrom expected to play in Game 1 of finals; Pavel Datsyuk game-day decision

by Ansar Khan

Thursday May 28, 2009, 1:11 PM

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Thursday that defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom should be ready to play in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals on Saturday. He said the status of Pavel Datsyuk, Jonathan Ericsson and Kris Draper will be determined on game day. Of the three, Draper seems the least likely to be ready for Game 1.

Lidstrom, who has missed two games with a lower-body injury, skated on his own the last two days. Datsyuk (bruised foot) skated again on Thursday. Ericsson, who had an appendectomy on Wednesday, might skate Friday.

"I certainly expect Lidstrom to play,'' Holland said. "He hold me he's planning on playing Saturday.''

Holland said Datsyuk, who missed the last three games of the Chicago series, is getting better every day.

"He wants to know when he makes that push that he has that explosiveness,'' Holland said.

Lidstrom and Datsyuk are expected to practice on Friday. Holland isn't sure if Draper will practice. He has missed the last two games with a strained groin, which Holland said is not significant.

Holland said they won't know Ericsson's status until Saturday. He noted that defenseman Andreas Lilja had the same operation on a Wednesday in October and played on Saturday, after missing only two games.

This will be a tough series but the Wings should win it. Those who say the Penguins are a year better and have a year more experience I have one question. Did the Wings forget how to play? They have experience too so why does that matter. Detroit has more depth even with the injuries. Detroit will rough up Crosby and Malkin like last year. Hossa is playing out of his mind the past few games and I really expect him to show him up against the Pens for obvious reasons.

In my opinion we desperately need a healthy Lidstrom to beat these Pens.

That is why he had two games off. Im not sure but by game 1 I think he will have had a week to heal.

Johnny Mac, I wonder if her playoff beard is as scraggly as Crosby's.

Uh-oh, Wings might as well give up. Rob Parker, based on his "gut feeling", says the Wings won't beat the Penguins. Knowing Parker, he probably says so gleefully.

Rob Parker, based on his "gut feeling", says the Wings won't beat the Penguins. Knowing Parker, he probably says so gleefully.

that makes me feel better about the series :cheeky:

From Sports Media Watch:

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pens/Wings Game 2 start time reportedly depends on NBA.

The start time of Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals is apparently dependent on whether the Denver Nuggets win their game on Friday night.

The schedule for the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals was released yesterday, and while Game 1 and Games 3-7 are set for a start time of 8 PM ET, the start time for Sunday night's Game 2 on NBC has not been decided yet.

Multiple reports have the NHL waiting to see if the Nuggets force a Game 7 of the highly-rated NBA Western Conference Finals, which would also take place on Sunday night, before announcing the start time for Game 2.

If there is a Game 7 between the Nuggets and Lakers, which would air on ABC at 8:30 PM ET, the NHL would reportedly move the start of Game 2 to 7 PM ET, to avoid as much competition with the NBA as possible. If there is no NBA game, Game 2 would begin at 8 PM ET, like the other games in the series.

The Detroit Red Wings website recommends that "fans should plan on an evening faceoff at either 7 or 8 p.m. EDT."

This will be a tough series but the Wings should win it. Those who say the Penguins are a year better and have a year more experience I have one question. Did the Wings forget how to play?

No, but the Pens best players are a year older and wiser. I think the Wings will win, but I think it will be a difficult series -- 6 or 7 games. It would not be surprising to me if the Pens won, though.