Rooster

Right Down Woodward

I find it overused and very annoying.

Beckman tries too hard.

He is better than Paciorek who is THE most annoying announcer I've ever heard. He's too up, too positive and knows way too much. I'd rather listen to silence than him - and he NEVER SHUTS UP!

Originally posted by eastside billee

I find it overused and very annoying.

Beckman tries too hard.

He is better than Paciorek who is THE most annoying announcer I've ever heard. He's too up, too positive and knows way too much. I'd rather listen to silence than him - and he NEVER SHUTS UP!

Totally agree on Beckman. He actually seems to have gotten worse than when he started behind the Tigers Mic. That "right down Woodward" line has not aged well at all. Probably because he uses it at least four times per game and doesn't have anything else to mix in with it.

I kinda like Paciorek, though. He's basically a slap-dick and knows it. He's knowledgable without being totally serious and arrogant about having "played the game" like many ex-jock announcers. He can get annoying, especially when reading the copyright message, but all in all he's okay in my book.

I do think Beckmann does a good job with Michigan Football, though...

I am beginning to like Mario Impemba more. I think he does a solid job.

Beckman's a moron and a horrible announcer for baseball. I hate Michigan football so I don't listen to those games.

I think he was instrumental in getting Rizzs and Rathbun here because he knew they wouldn't stick and then Beckman could come in and save the day.

I like Paciorek for the reason's holygoat stated. He doesn't take himself too seriously. I like announcers who talk about things other than that particular game or even baseball. It's on TV, folks. I can see what's happening. I don't need Beckman saying "Fastball down woodward" when I can see the umpire make the "Strike" call myself.

He [beckman] is better than Paciorek who is THE most annoying announcer I've ever heard. He's too up, too positive and knows way too much. I'd rather listen to silence than him - and he NEVER SHUTS UP!

I generally find Paciorek entertaining, but I do find his repeated use of "Hello!" annoying.

Gibby's still better to listen too. I love when he points out the finer points of baseball:

* The path an outfielder should take when going after a ground ball.

* How and why a runner should be taking a secondary lead.

* The little things a player can do to improve his hitting.

All of these things and the many others he explains really make me get into the games and look for them myself. I appreciate the knowledge he brings to the game and it makes me wonder if he'd someday make a great manager if he ever decided to try his hand at it.

that's funny, those are the things I find annoying about Gibson. Enough with the secondary lead talk. He's the first person I've ever heard use that term. I've never had a coach call it a secondary lead.

I also don't like the fact that he makes excuses for Higginson all the time.

I hate Beckman. In fact he's reason enough to listen to the game instead of watching it on TV quite often for me.

And I have said before I really like Tom Paciorek. He is knowledgeable and is entertaining and he doesn't take himself seriously. He has an understanding about team history, about baseball history back to at least the 60s and I'd rather him be overly positive than negative. That said he does criticize occasionally. I think him and Gibson (I think I've heard them together twice) makes a great combo. I would love to see that become the main combo on FSD.

I'm still unwavering in my Paciorek support (and it looks like he's getting a little more than he had a few years ago)

Originally posted by Oblong

I think he was instrumental in getting Rizzs and Rathbun here because he knew they wouldn't stick and then Beckman could come in and save the day.

What is your basis for this? Do you have some "behind the scenes" info for us? I'm trying to recall back to that period, but R&R were on radio and I may have forgotten but Beckman didn't replace them did he? Was he there before Price? I'd say Ernie came in to save the day.

I think Gibby has grown into a very good announcer. I like Mario so much better than Josh, he doesn't play the nerd to Gibbson's jock like Josh did.

Paciorek's a good guy, but he's only half as funny as he thinks he is.

And one last thing Obby, GO BLUE!

Gibby is perhaps the most condescending presence on this planet. He's just terrible.

As for Impemba, I'm waiting for this guy to prove to me that he has a personality. Good voice, nice delivery, totally bland. I actually miss Josh.

Gibby is not condescending.... He's one of the best color guys I've heard.

Gibby and Lewin will go down as my all time favorite duo to call a game.

I'm also a Paciorek fan... I like him 1000x better than Beckman and 10x better than Mario.

What would Gibson know about "the fundamentals" ??

Gibson, of course was one of the worst fundamental players in decades:

1) Huge number of strikeouts

2) Mediocre-to-poor defensive player, world-renowned for throwing poorly and often to the wrong base;

3) Overaggressive and foolhardy baserunner, often thrown out when he shouldn't have been.

4) Hothead, prone to blowing his cork in pressurized situations

Now, Alan Trammell talking about the fundamentals ... THAT I would take seriously.

Kirk Gibson, a football player who ended up playing baseball... that's like Madonna giving a lecture on the benefits of virginity.

Originally posted by TJ

What would Gibson know about "the fundamentals" ??

Gibson, of course was one of the worst fundamental players in decades:

1) Huge number of strikeouts

2) Mediocre-to-poor defensive player, world-renowned for throwing poorly and often to the wrong base;

3) Overaggressive and foolhardy baserunner, often thrown out when he shouldn't have been.

4) Hothead, prone to blowing his cork in pressurized situations

Now, Alan Trammell talking about the fundamentals ... THAT I would take seriously.

Kirk Gibson, a football player who ended up playing baseball... that's like Madonna giving a lecture on the benefits of virginity.

Using that as the measuring stick one could assume that scouts don't know anything about what to look for. Most scouts never played professionally and therefore aren't able to have in mind what they should be looking for.

I would think that just because Gibby wasn't a good physically fundamental player (in your view) doesn't mean he doesn't have the head knowledge.

Just my two cents......take it for what it is worth.

Biff (who misses Josh also)

Paciorek graduated from the Rizzs Rathbun school of

broadcasting. Thats the main reason I can't stand him.

Lewis and Gibson were great.

Impemba is growing on me, I can take him in small doses.

I still say that Milt Wilcox would be a great color guy.

Here are my rankings for current Tigers announcers on both TV and radio.

Play-By-Play:

1.Ernie Harwell (of course)

2.Dan Dickerson (very professional, fun to listen too, he gets excited)

3.Mario Impemba (almost the same as above, but needs more time)

4.Ray Lane (classic voice from the past, but losing it)

5.Howling Dogs (he's a new guy)

6.Frank Beckmann (whines too much, stupid stories, not much insight offered in the broadcast, talks too much)

Color Guys:

1.Jim Price (Not afraid to rip the players for making stupid mistakes, I think he has good insight, but can be childish at times)

2.Tom Paciorek (Relaxed in the booth, easy to listen too IMHO)

3.Kirk Gibson (Too X's and O's for me, but not bad)

4.the sound of white noise (not the Anthrax album)

4.Lance Parrish (I feel sorry for him because he is terrible, but dosen't have much of a partner. Hopefully he'll get better)

one of my favorite play by play guys that no one every talks about was Bruce Martin doing the wings games i can still hear this voice even though hes been off the games for over 5 years now

Paciorek graduated from the Rizzs Rathbun school of

broadcasting. Thats the main reason I can't stand him.

I don't see that in any way, shape or form or any concievable context. He's just a silly ex-ballplayer having fun in the booth. Rizzs and Rathbun both have those pro broadcaster "Ron Radio" voices, and Wimpy's just being himself.

What is your basis for this? Do you have some "behind the scenes" info for us? I'm trying to recall back to that period, but R&R were on radio and I may have forgotten but Beckman didn't replace them did he? Was he there before Price? I'd say Ernie came in to save the day

I don't have any behind the scenes info but it's just a hunch. Here's the timeline:

1992) Rizzs and Rathbun's first year in the booth.

1993) Ilitch brings Ernie back in the booth to do some middle games. I do know for a fact that Rathbun wasn't happy about this because he got squeezed to pre and postgame duties. R&R shunned Ernie. How do I know this? Because Ernie said so and he won't lie. He would invite them out for lunch on the road and they would decline.

Winter of 1994, R&R are fired and WJR and the Tigers make this big fuss about Beckmann being named play by play guy and how it was his lifelong dream, blah blah blah.

You mean to tell me if the sports director of WJR's lifelong dream was to be play by play guy for the Tigers and the spot opened up in 1991, he wouldn't jump all over it? No, he let someone else take the heat of following Ernie.