MotownWebGuy

New MotownSports.com Website!

I like the addition of the blogs. I think it provides a way for us to stay up on each other without cluttering the message board. I also like the new homepage, because it has links to a lot of other articles. I find myself checking them out, then coming to see what everyone thinks of it.

What I can't figure out is the "Tags" section. Still don't know what that's for.

When I go to today's post, how can I screen out non-sports forums, like with the old view, is it possible?

I used to use the same page. The New Posts option that people keep mentioning is fairly similar but it includes the Bar & Grill and Political Forums.

Exactly, I only want to see the Latest Posts in sports forums. I don't see any options in the CP to limit the selection of forums, I think it has to be done in the backend.

What I can't figure out is the "Tags" section. Still don't know what that's for.

Tagging threads allows them to be searched for using a search term - at least in theory. It seems like every user can add 2 (??) tags to a thread. So a thread which got diverted into, I dunno, a discussion of fly fishing, could be tagged with fly fishing so that someone could find it.

I guess.

Kinda like tags in flickr photos.

Maybe :-)

I just looked at stuff. It'll take some getting used to but it seems OK I reckon.

Now, where's that ignore thread option????? :-)

I love the new set up. Lots of fun stuff added to the site. For those who can't stand that one extra click, bookmark this link:

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew

That will get you to EVERYTHING that has been posted since your last visit.

I think I've found a way for me to get a satisfactory best of both worlds.

I have set motownsports.com as one of my homepage tabs when I start up Firefox. That gives me a chance to see the new homepage and scan headlines and links across all sports at least once a day, depending on how often I start up Firefox.

I have bookmarked your link and that's what I return to several times per day, as apart from the addition of Politics and the Grill it seems virtually identical to the old homepage.

glad i could be of some help, lordstanley.

MWG, you owe me $5.00.

:)

I think I've found a way for me to get a satisfactory best of both worlds.

I have set motownsports.com as one of my homepage tabs when I start up Firefox. That gives me a chance to see the new homepage and scan headlines and links across all sports at least once a day, depending on how often I start up Firefox.

I have bookmarked your link and that's what I return to several times per day, as apart from the addition of Politics and the Grill it seems virtually identical to the old homepage.

Talk to sagnam, he's hiring. ;)

can't you just restrict him from being in the politics forum so he can't see it?

Fixed!

I_Want_My_Money_Man_by_LeeRoberts.png

I want my money man! :)

Still looking to pay someone to remove the Political threads.

There aren't that many of them. Just ignore them - I do that with all that Ice Hockey abd Basketball stuff all the time. Of the 63 new threads I have to look at just now I'm probably interested in like 10 of them. That's about standard for me. It's three pages I have to browse through - sometimes I just click straight on the first political forum link and go straight in there anyways.

I always just used the main page of the message board, where all the posts are put into one forum, and I can't find that anymore...
That's the page I use the most.. the forum-looking page with all the most recent threads from the different forums.
I too do miss a page from the old site that I had bookmarked and that others had mentioned.
I'd just like to add a plus one to lordstanley's post. It was the page I used 95% of the time and has been the first page I click on everyday for over four years so its hard to adjust to not having it.
I used to use the same page. The New Posts option that people keep mentioning is fairly similar but it includes the Bar & Grill and Political Forums.
I have to agree with those that miss the old listing of threads across sports forums.

The "new posts" link is an ok alternative, but half of the threads listed are political/general forum threads and there are far fewer overall threads listed.

It would be nice to have a link to new threads that was limited to the sports forums.

I would like to see the old homepage accessible in some manner, as it would likely satisfy those who prefer an overall active discussion layout, while those who prefer the news layout could continue to use the new homepage as-is.
I agree. While not a long time user of this site, I do miss the single page where the most current topics are being discussed. The "new posts" page is not as user friendly, considering the mix of non-sports items.
When I go to today's post, how can I screen out non-sports forums, like with the old view, is it possible?

This evening I found a solution to the above problem that should please most, if not all of you. While I can not bring back the old homepage, I found a new hack for the message board that will allow you to filter out specific forums from the "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" options. So if you want to use these options and not see posts from forums like the Bar and Grill or Political forum, you can now exclude those forums.

To do this, click on the "User CP" option from the top navbar, and under the Settings & Options section, click on "Edit Options." At the bottom of all the editbale options will be the section where you can pick and choose which forums you would like to be excluded from the listings.

Give this a try and see if it will help to improve your experience.

Still looking to pay someone to remove the Political threads.
That would be me. :grin:

This evening I found a solution to the above problem that should please most, if not all of you. While I can not bring back the old homepage, I found a new hack for the message board that will allow you to filter out specific forums from the "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" options. So if you want to use these options and not see posts from forums like the Bar and Grill or Political forum, you can now exclude those forums.

To do this, click on the "User CP" option from the top navbar, and under the Settings & Options section, click on "Edit Options." At the bottom of all the editable options will be the section where you can pick and choose which forums you would like to be excluded from the listings.

Give this a try and see if it will help to improve your experience.

That would be me. :grin:

This works great! Thanks MWG!

Actually I have become a more politically enlightened sports geek becuase of the new home page..

That might not be a good thing. Bad things come from watching and paying attention to those crooks! Tread softly, Sportz.

vBSEO was just purchased and installed on the site. This new product produces search friendly URLs and will help improve our search engine rankings.

Suddenly I no longer had the advertizing banner across the top of the page and had the thread title in hugh letters. Then lock out. Glad to have my family back.

Anyone else having issues with Firefox? Ever since vBSEO was installed, I have been missing a lot of different things. A lot of icons have gone missing basically. I no longer have anything to click to view a threads newest post. I can not quote any posts, and the only way to reply is for me to scroll all the way down to the quick reply box. Everyones avatar is missing too. I tried deleting cookies, logging off and back on, and all that stuff. It's odd, because before when I would search for a thread and click on it in the search results, it would do the exact same thing. Just wondering if it was just me or a problem with everyone.

Fake Edit: Things are fine in IE and Chrome. Problem is only with FF.

Anyone else having issues with Firefox? Ever since vBSEO was installed, I have been missing a lot of different things. A lot of icons have gone missing basically. I no longer have anything to click to view a threads newest post. I can not quote any posts, and the only way to reply is for me to scroll all the way down to the quick reply box. Everyones avatar is missing too. I tried deleting cookies, logging off and back on, and all that stuff. It's odd, because before when I would search for a thread and click on it in the search results, it would do the exact same thing. Just wondering if it was just me or a problem with everyone.

Fake Edit: Things are fine in IE and Chrome. Problem is only with FF.

FF works great for me. :confused:

FF works great for me. :confused:

OK, thanks Corky. I thought maybe I had a bad extension or something, so I tried running without any of them on. Same result. Back to the drawing board.