MotownWebGuy

New MotownSports.com Website!

Motownsports is one of my favorite sites on the Web and one that I visit most often. And I commend MWG for the new design. I like having all the news items on one page.

I too do miss a page from the old site that I had bookmarked and that others had mentioned. As I am here primarily for the Forums, more so than an RSS Feeder of news. The one where it shows all posts - across all forums except the Lounge and Politics - from most recent to oldest. This is different I believe than clicking on "Visit Forums", unless I am missing something, as clicking Visit Forums brings up a page that provides a section-by-section list. In other words, I would need to click on 10 or so different section headings to read all new posts on the board. MWG is right, the bottom of the new page, Active Threads, is similar to the old cross-forums page but I do feel that at the moment there are some important differences. Active Threads:

1. Only lists a dozen or so threads. With the old page, you could access 25 or so a page, for several pages. If you were gone for a weekend for example.

2. Seems to only draw from a couple of the main sections, like Tigers and Wings. I haven't seen anything from General Sports or Major League Baseball appear on there, for example.

3. Doesn't seem to be in real time. For example, the thread "I Keep Reading On Other Sites" has been 2nd on the Active Threads list for awhile even though there hasn't been a new post on it for a few hours.

4. Doesn't include helpful information such as number of posts, time of latest post, username of latest poster to a thread, all of which helped me determine whether there was anything new to read since my last visit.

So if feasible I would love to see that old main page added back somewhere. It saves time and, more importantly, I can anticipate some non-core sections becoming less active if they're not included in that broad cross-forums page. But again, only if feasible. The loss of this old page can be overcome by people like me with just a few keystrokes and clicks, and there is much to like about this new design. Plus, my name isn't even in yellow anymore so I don't want anyone to think that I feel that I'm in a position to criticize or "demand" or even request - I'm just constructively "suggesting".

Have you checked the "New Posts" in the blue line at the top of the page...

Maybe that will help???

I'd just like to add a plus one to lordstanley's post. It was the page I used 95% of the time and has been the first page I click on everyday for over four years so its hard to adjust to not having it.

I used to use the same page. The New Posts option that people keep mentioning is fairly similar but it includes the Bar & Grill and Political Forums.

The New Posts option that people keep mentioning is fairly similar but it includes the Bar & Grill and Political Forums.

Right, and it only lists the 20 most recent threads (unless there's an option that I don't know about to increase the length of the list it returns) that have been posted on. With typically half of those being Bar & Grill or Political, that means you can only access 10 or so recent sports threads from "New Posts". On the old MTS main page you could easily go back a few days. For now, I've made the "Visit Forums" page my new default bookmark, but that kinduv defeats the purpose of the new homepage and doesn't include some of the features from the old homepage that I listed above. In a perfect world, the new homepage would include at the bottom something similar to the old homepage, instead of how Active Threads is now there.

I like the "last visitors" on each and every profile. I think that might become interesting. I know my own personal creeping around might have to be minimized.

Where do you find this? Perhaps I don't see this because I haven't had a visitor since all the changes.

Where do you find this? Perhaps I don't see this because I haven't had a visitor since all the changes.

It's on your profile page.

Edit: I visited your profile.

Edited by wingedwheel

I'm curious about the Top Infractions found under the Top 5 Stats. If they are what I think they are, is there a reason they need to be displayed? It just seems like it should be something private between MWG and the offending party.

I'm curious about the Top Infractions found under the Top 5 Stats. If they are what I think they are, is there a reason they need to be displayed? It just seems like it should be something private between MWG and the offending party.
This was fixed.

Ok, by clicking "Today's Posts" before logging in or "New Posts" after logging in, I pretty much get what I'm looking for. Thanks all.

I have to agree with those that miss the old listing of threads across sports forums.

I used to just click the motownsports logo in the upper left to get a refreshed look at the threads. Now, I have to click on "visit the forums" and then on detroit tigers. I don't spend any time in the other forums because it is just too tedious. Based on the frequency of posting in the other forums recently, it appears that I am not the only one.

The "new posts" link is an ok alternative, but half of the threads listed are political/general forum threads and there are far fewer overall threads listed.

It would be nice to have a link to new threads that was limited to the sports forums.

Bookmark www.motowntigers.com and it will take you directly to the Tigers forum.

Going directly to the tigers forum is not the issue.

I just miss the old composite list that included all of the sports forums.

I just miss the old composite list that included all of the sports forums.
The list on the bottom of the new homepage is taken from all 4 major sports forums (Tigers, Lions, Pistons, Wings). This is really no different then it was previously.

The list on the bottom of the new homepage is taken from all 4 major sports forums (Tigers, Lions, Pistons, Wings). This is really no different then it was previously.

Please don't take this as complaining, but as merely pointing out the differences.

The list at the bottom of the main page includes far less threads.

It doesn't list threads from general sports.

It doesn't list "last post by" or the time of the last post.

It doesn't list the number of posts in each thread.

It doesn't update with each new post, but appears to be on some sort of periodic updating schedule.

The new homepages is designed for someone who's using the site to find a collaboration of sports news. Many people (including myself) come here for sports discussion - not necessarily news - and the new format is not as friendly when it comes to finding out which sports topics are active. I would like to see the old homepage accessible in some manner, as it would likely satisfy those who prefer an overall active discussion layout, while those who prefer the news layout could continue to use the new homepage as-is.

I would like to see the old homepage accessible in some manner...
Sorry, the old homepage and the portal system that created it has been removed. The portal system that was used to create the former "website" for MotownSports.com has reached the end of it's development and support cycle and needed to be replaced. Sorry this disappoints some of you.

It's something new to get used to, but I can and will live with an extra click. Not a big deal really. I will just change my bookmark to the forums page.

Please keep in mind, the development of the new site and message board is still on-going. If I can make tweaks to things to improve user experience, I will. Until then, please be patient while I continue to fine tune things.

I am not a fan of the new smaller posts now, so that we can have that few stuff up in the corner. Not sure that needs to be shown when you open a thread. just my opinion.

I am not a fan of the new smaller posts now, so that we can have that few stuff up in the corner. Not sure that needs to be shown when you open a thread. just my opinion.
I need this space for various things, like an additional ad source or two.

I have to agree with those that miss the old listing of threads across sports forums.

I used to just click the motownsports logo in the upper left to get a refreshed look at the threads. Now, I have to click on "visit the forums" and then on detroit tigers. I don't spend any time in the other forums because it is just too tedious. Based on the frequency of posting in the other forums recently, it appears that I am not the only one.

The "new posts" link is an ok alternative, but half of the threads listed are political/general forum threads and there are far fewer overall threads listed.

It would be nice to have a link to new threads that was limited to the sports forums.

I agree. While not a long time user of this site, I do miss the single page where the most current topics are being discussed. The "new posts" page is not as user friendly, considering the mix of non-sports items. Hopefully they will make adjustments to provide the current topics page again in a similar format to how it used to be. I find myself browsing Motownsports less frequently since the change because it is more tedious to view recent posts.

I find myself browsing Motownsports less frequently since the change because it is more tedious to view recent posts.

Agreed.

I must view this website differently than you guys. It takes me one extra click to get to the same spot I was before. But like I said, you guys must use a different page to view the threads.

I'd just like to see an ignore thread feature. Could make things a lot cleaner getting rid of some of the political threads I have no interest in or the "post-upping" threads.

I must view this website differently than you guys. It takes me one extra click to get to the same spot I was before. But like I said, you guys must use a different page to view the threads.

Agreed