MotownWebGuy

New MotownSports.com Website!

I'll be honest...I don't like it. I always just used the main page of the message board, where all the posts are put into one forum, and I can't find that anymore...I never visited each section of the board separately. Takes too much time.

Good job MWG! I like having the news right on the main page. Between that and Twitter updates, it's a great way to keep up with sports.

Just a little issue I had: When I logged in to the message board, the rectangle bar with the username/password prompt at the top of the page appeared twice.

Just a little issue I had: When I logged in to the message board, the rectangle bar with the username/password prompt at the top of the page appeared twice.
Yes, I'm aware of that happening. Something I'll try and fix this evening if time allows.

I'll be honest...I don't like it. I always just used the main page of the message board, where all the posts are put into one forum, and I can't find that anymore...I never visited each section of the board separately. Takes too much time.
The most current posts from each of the main team forums is still found on the homepage of MotownSports.com. Just look at the bottom of the page. This is really no different than the way it was with the old site.

http://www.motownsports.com

Good job MWG! I like having the news right on the main page. Between that and Twitter updates, it's a great way to keep up with sports.
Regarding the Twitter updates... I haven't done much with the @MotownSports Twitter account as of yet, but will be working on this soon.

Right now if you want to follow thread updates from this forum, you can follow these indivdual Twitter accounts:

@MotownTigers - http://www.twitter.com/MotownTigers

@MotownLions - http://www.twitter.com/MotownLions

@MotownPistons - http://www.twitter.com/MotownPistons

@MotownRedWings - http://www.twitter.com/MotownRedWings

Each of the above accounts are active and pulling in thread updates from their respective forums. Both the Tigers and Red Wings Twitter accounts have a decent following so far and continue to grow daily.

I think you mean the "latest threads" page? Yeah, it's what my bookmark directed to -- I'm sure MWG will re-implement it.

I think you mean the "latest threads" page? Yeah, it's what my bookmark directed to -- I'm sure MWG will re-implement it.

I hope so! That's the page I use the most.. the forum-looking page with all the most recent threads from the different forums.

My browsing experience feels naked without it, but as I said I have full confidence it will be restored.

Initial thought is that I like it. I see one thing that I could see causing some contention, right at the top of the page, any guesses?

Yea exactly. I liked being able to see just what the most recent discussions were and seeing how many replies they had and whatnot...I don't wanna have to go through each forum separately to find out what's going on...

I like the "last visitors" on each and every profile. I think that might become interesting. I know my own personal creeping around might have to be minimized.

Regardless, I like it all.

I am reserving judgment until I have had more time to adjust to the changes...but one small thing I miss is being able to click the motownsports logo in the top left corner to bring me back to the main page. If it isn't too much trouble, could this be fixed?

I am reserving judgment until I have had more time to adjust to the changes...but one small thing I miss is being able to click the motownsports logo in the top left corner to bring me back to the main page. If it isn't too much trouble, could this be fixed?
Done. I'm still working on tweaking many things...

Yea exactly. I liked being able to see just what the most recent discussions were and seeing how many replies they had and whatnot...I don't wanna have to go through each forum separately to find out what's going on...

Click new posts..works in a similar way.

When you visit the homepage, look on the right hand side near the top. There's a link that says "Visit Forums". Click on that & your MTS experience will be essentially the same as it was before.

FYI, I cannot get the main page to open in Firefox but it opens fine in IE.

I'm using Firefox and the page views normally...

Are you using the most recent version of Firefox?

FYI, I cannot get the main page to open in Firefox but it opens fine in IE.

It is working well for me in FF. I am using the latest version so perhaps that is the issue.

I'm using the latest version. I am going to make sure my flashblock isn't messing with it.

Edit: Yup, it was flashblock. We're all cool now.

BTW, MWG, the site looks fantastic.

Where is the tOSU stuff? :happy:

Motownsports is one of my favorite sites on the Web and one that I visit most often. And I commend MWG for the new design. I like having all the news items on one page.

I too do miss a page from the old site that I had bookmarked and that others had mentioned. As I am here primarily for the Forums, more so than an RSS Feeder of news. The one where it shows all posts - across all forums except the Lounge and Politics - from most recent to oldest. This is different I believe than clicking on "Visit Forums", unless I am missing something, as clicking Visit Forums brings up a page that provides a section-by-section list. In other words, I would need to click on 10 or so different section headings to read all new posts on the board. MWG is right, the bottom of the new page, Active Threads, is similar to the old cross-forums page but I do feel that at the moment there are some important differences. Active Threads:

1. Only lists a dozen or so threads. With the old page, you could access 25 or so a page, for several pages. If you were gone for a weekend for example.

2. Seems to only draw from a couple of the main sections, like Tigers and Wings. I haven't seen anything from General Sports or Major League Baseball appear on there, for example.

3. Doesn't seem to be in real time. For example, the thread "I Keep Reading On Other Sites" has been 2nd on the Active Threads list for awhile even though there hasn't been a new post on it for a few hours.

4. Doesn't include helpful information such as number of posts, time of latest post, username of latest poster to a thread, all of which helped me determine whether there was anything new to read since my last visit.

So if feasible I would love to see that old main page added back somewhere. It saves time and, more importantly, I can anticipate some non-core sections becoming less active if they're not included in that broad cross-forums page. But again, only if feasible. The loss of this old page can be overcome by people like me with just a few keystrokes and clicks, and there is much to like about this new design. Plus, my name isn't even in yellow anymore so I don't want anyone to think that I feel that I'm in a position to criticize or "demand" or even request - I'm just constructively "suggesting".

Edited by lordstanley

I'd just like to add a plus one to lordstanley's post. It was the page I used 95% of the time and has been the first page I click on everyday for over four years so its hard to adjust to not having it.