Elevate

Let's talk about Chris Osgood

what is a shame is IF he does get into the HOF, fans will still pick him apart and he brought the cup to our team..

1. I am pretty sure 22 other guys had a part in bringing the cup to our team

and

2. All these people keep talking about Ozzie getting picked apart, I dont know anyone who says he sucks. Some people think he is average to above average, which isnt picking him apart. Its some of his big time supporters who think because you dont say he is one of the best means you are knocking him.

Osgood was my favorite player in the late 90s cups, and I've still got his jersey hanging up in my closet (although I have since grown out of it, and it's collecting dust :( )

I'll buy that Osgood was somewhere between good and average early in his career. The last couple years, he's been real good, and that's saying a lot since he's been in the league a long time.

He's not a guy that can necessarily stop 39 of 40 shots a game like 'great' goalies, but a lot of 'great' goalies wouldn't necessarily be better than Osgood at stopping 18 of 20 shots when playing for a team like the Wings.

Average goalie, surrounded by great talent.

Upgrade it a little. He's a very good goalie surrounded by great talent.

There does seem to be a bit of a "If you don't think Osgood is HOF material, then you must think he sucks" attitude out there. I'm not saying there are 20 goalies I'd rather have than Osgood, but over the course of his career you can probably name 4-5 that you'd rather have. That means he's very good and a solid guy. And he has been for a very long time. But I don't see how that makes him a HOF guy.

If the Wings win the Cup this year and he plays a large role in it (he's been fine so far this year), he'll probably get in for being on so many Stanley Cup teams.

I look at this year. When the defense wasn't solid in front of Osgood, he really struggled. He wasn't winning games or overcoming those issues. He struggled as well. And, for the most part, he's always had that type of cast surrounding him. The guy has had a great career. I wanted him to start in the playoffs. I trust him. But I am not going to say he's one of the greatest the game has ever seen.

1. I am pretty sure 22 other guys had a part in bringing the cup to our team

you hit it on the head..yes, there are 22 other guys on the team. so why is it that when Ozzie gives up a goal, it is all his fault? (oh crap, he is standing between the goal post) our great defense? we are ranked 25th in power play kills and 20th in goals against..it is a team effort and when the defense breaks down, it seems no one notices..

and

2. All these people keep talking about Ozzie getting picked apart, I don't know anyone who says he sucks. Some people think he is average to above average, which isn't picking him apart. Its some of his big time supporters who think because you don't say he is one of the best means you are knocking him.

you don't know anyone who says he sucks and I don't know anyone that thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread..look at all the responses and I don't think you will find one person who think he is in the "elite" level..IMO, he is higher then average, but not even close to elite..he does make mistakes, just like any other player on the team.. my comment about picking apart is IF he ever got into the HoF, there will still be people that will say, how in the hell did he get in? look at his numbers and worse is, it will be from Wing's fans. Now since he is just above average, we won't have to worry about him getting into the HoF.

you don't know anyone who says he sucks and I don't know anyone that thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread..look at all the responses and I don't think you will find one person who think he is in the "elite" level..IMO, he is higher then average, but not even close to elite..he does make mistakes, just like any other player on the team.. my comment about picking apart is IF he ever got into the HoF, there will still be people that will say, how in the hell did he get in? look at his numbers and worse is, it will be from Wing's fans. Now since he is just above average, we won't have to worry about him getting into the HoF.

I get both sides of the arguments. My 2 main points however on why maybe he isnt HOF worthy are these two things

1. If he was a hall of fame goalie, why were the Wings looking to upgrade him throughout his career, and why did he lose his job 3 times?

2. If he played for the Islanders his whole career and had similar numbers but never played in the cup finals, would people say he was a hall of fame goalie?

Like I said, it is hard to judge him just because he has been surrounded by amazing talent almost his whole career. He will make the HOF imo because he won so much throughout his career.

I was one of the people calling for Conklin all season, and going into the playoffs. Chris Osgood, my apologies.

He's been nothing short of great this post season. Another cup and he's for sure HoF material (if he's not already), and if he were to keep it up and win a 4th one next year, then you have to start talking about putting #30 in the rafters, but I'll keep quiet about next year until mid June.

Osgood is like fine wine.

He is even better as he gets older.

He is a HOF goaltender. I thought his playoff performances overall this season validates that.

He is a HOF goaltender. I thought his playoff performances overall this season validates that.

When are you going to change your avatar?

I'm with everyone who said Ozzie is a good goalie, but certainly not great. He has stepped up in the playoffs & he certainly has the playoff experience, but I've said it before....I just think he is a goalie who is better when he splits time, but in the playoffs, his game goes to another level.

When are you going to change your avatar?

For once, I'm not going to want to shoot myself everytime I hear him bashing Chicago, because in this case, they'll be playing us. :cheeky:

Osgood outplayed Hiller in game 7. Detroit loses game 7 without that effort from Osgood.

I would say the Wings outplayed the Ducks. I think Hiller and Ozzie were about even, I mean Hiller did face 13 more shots.

If he does make it there, its probably only because he's played so long on a very good team, not that he's an extraordinary goalie. The guy has never won a Vezina or Hart Memorial, only a couple of Jennings, along the way and a couple of Cups. To me that says something. Seems people on this board want to keep hammering Osgood deserves something extraordinary for maybe better than average numbers over the years. To his credit I'll say it again. He's been good, but not great. Probably the thing that's worked against Osgood over his 17-18 year career is that a few others set the bar so high ---- Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Belfour to name a few. Osgood, IMO, comes in a distant 5th or 6th behind them. Now, if Osgood, himself, in his own right, were to steal a couple of games on the Red Wings way to another Cup, I might change my mind.

I would say the Wings outplayed the Ducks. I think Hiller and Ozzie were about even, I mean Hiller did face 13 more shots.

Hiller faced 13 more shots but Osgood made several huge stops. Like on Wisnewski early, and that sequence of like 3 shots in front of the net. Hiller stopped more pucks but Osgood made more key saves.

Hats off to Chris Osgood,,under appreciated..

I agree. People want to call it great or elite but those are just meaningless words to me. Does he get the job done? Yes. Does he elevate his game in the playoffs? Yes. The bigger the game, the better he plays. He does have some bad games but he is human. I'll take Osgood in goal and like my chances with winning a Cup again this year.

Pierre Lebrun column for ESPN.com entitled "Still Doubting Chris Osgood?". Starts:

DETROIT -- Perhaps one day, about five years after Chris Osgood is done with his NHL career, we'll all wake up and realize he was a better goalie than anyone ever gave him credit for.

Perhaps it will be the day he goes into the Hockey Hall of Fame with 400-plus wins and a few Stanley Cup rings.

But, until then, it seems Osgood will have to live with the fact no matter what he does, people will second-guess him.

"It doesn't really bother me to be honest," Osgood told ESPN.com during an interview over lunch Monday. "I know I have respect from the guys in the room and they know what I can do."

Yes, Osgood's biggest fans are the 20 players making millions of dollars wearing the Red Wings' jersey, who can't figure out why most of the outside world continues to doubt the 36-year-old netminder. He has 389 career regular-season wins, tied for 10th all time in the NHL with Dominik Hasek. Next up on the list is none other than Grant Fuhr (403), the goalie Osgood idolized growing up in Edmonton. Impressive company.

I liked the part in which Osgood described what it was like during his "mental break":

One day in February, Holland called Osgood into his office. It's a meeting that changed everything.

"I expected our entire team to have a struggle mentally," recalled Holland. "But enough was enough. So I called Ozzie into the office and said, 'Let's have a minimum week's breather.' And I reamed him out. I thought it was important that he get back to what makes him successful."

"He gave it to me a little bit, and rightfully so," said Osgood. "That gave me a wake-up call, which everybody needs."

"Physically, I was there, but mentally, I wasn't. The playoffs were so long. I was sitting there thinking, 'We were at the top of the mountain, now we're at the bottom and we have to go all the way back up again and there's a long way to go.'

So for 10 days in mid-February, Osgood got a break from the team. It allowed him to recharge his batteries. But being the close-knit team the Wings are, it didn't go without some ribbing from teammates.

"Guys were calling me Kovy," said Osgood with a chuckle.

That would be Alexei Kovalev, who was also sent away for a mental break by the Montreal Canadiens around the same time. Mind you, it was a much bigger story in that city given everything that happened there this season.

One night during the break, Osgood stayed behind while the Wings played in frigid Minnesota. Again, the guys wouldn't let go.

"The guys were calling me and texting me, 'Hey, what are you and Kovy doing?'" laughed Osgood. "So even when things seem as bad as they can be, they're really not that bad."

Osgood used the time away to his advantage, working on his game every day with Wings goalie coach Jim Bedard.

"We worked on little things, just position-wise. I think I was moving a bit too much," said Osgood. "Just little things that I got away from. I've had slumps before, but this was like two months and I got frustrated. I got pissed off that it was still going on. I tried a bunch of different things and nothing would work. I had to refocus myself mentally and get ready for the playoff drive.

"Since then, my game has progressively been getting back to where I need it to get. But do I want to go through that again? No, not a chance, it was terrible."

L.S.: Thanks for the touching articles. I really wish Osgood and the Wings success.

But Osgood is not HoF material. If he stands up and steals a series, on his own, in his own right, I may change my mind.

I didn't think Osgood was a HoF caliber goaltender after last season, and this season really doesn't change my mind (if anything, it helps confirm my thinking). At no point in time was Chris the best goaltender in hockey, and was only a finalist for the Vezina once. Further, it is hard to argue he was a top 5 goalie in the league for a season more than a few times.

Don't get me wrong - Chris has had an excellent career, the Wings are lucky to have him, and I personally like him. But adding a poor regular season and a nice play-off run on top of his resume after last season is not enough to push him into solid HoF territory to my way of thinking.

Who are the HOF deserving goalies that started their career in 1980 or after?

Who are the HOF deserving goalies that started their career in 1980 or after?

To my thinking, Roy, Broduer, and Hasek are absolute locks.

Fuhr shouldn't be in the HoF by my reckoning, but he got in because he had excellent taste in teammates.

Then there is a whole slew of guys who have great careers but didn't separate themselves from the herd. I do not think they are HoF goaltenders, but they were really solid. Included in this group are:

Ed Belfour, Mike Vernon, Jon Vanbeisbrouck, Chris Osgood, Curtis Joseph, Tom Barraso, Mike Richter, and Andy Moog.

Completely forgot Hasek. LOL

I agree with Bigglesworth. But I put Osgood at a level between those top 3 and all the rest.