Elevate

Let's talk about Chris Osgood

There have been very few goalies, and even less in the last 30 years, who have had the consistent success Osgood has had. He won 30+ games with the Islanders man. The Isle!

If you include Stanley Cups? Absolutely but there are a lot of goalies that have had consistent success around the same time of Osgood.

Yes you do.

Agreed. But he's about as solid as a guy can be.

So did Brodeur and Roy. How do we explain the years he played on shitty teams and led them to the playoffs. Then, immediately after leaving, those teams go back to complete suck?

I seriously don't hate him dude. Honest. Infact, i chant Ozzy whenever he makes a great save. Sure, i look stupid in a bar filled w/non hockey fans. But I Do want Ozzy to win ... to play great ... and I think he's a good goalie.

But he's Todd Jones to me. That's the only way I can explain it. Is that fair enough? Does that explain it better then the rest of the drunken drivel I've typed tonight?

I just don't TRUST him.

I seriously don't hate him dude. Honest. Infact, i chant Ozzy whenever he makes a great save. Sure, i look stupid in a bar filled w/non hockey fans. But I Do want Ozzy to win ... to play great ... and I think he's a good goalie.

But he's Todd Jones to me. That's the only way I can explain it. Is that fair enough? Does that explain it better then the rest of the drunken drivel I've typed tonight?

I just don't TRUST him.

Dennis...this is easily the most delusional thing you have ever typed.

What, exactly, has Osgood done to be considered Todd Jones?

I just don't TRUST him.

toughest job in sports....Goalie of the Wings...next is Quarterback for the Lions

Dennis...this is easily the most delusional thing you have ever typed.

What, exactly, has Osgood done to be considered Todd Jones?

I give up bro. Your set in your ways and aren't open to my thoughts, and I don't care to change yours. I just don't feel comfortable with him in the net.

Hence, that's where the Todd Jones comparison comes through. I know what Ozzie has done in the past. And it was great.BUT That was the past. It's an new year. And based on his play during the regular season, I'm just not comfortable with him.

He's played great this playoff season. I will not argue that fact, bro. But it doesn't mean he won't give up 8 in chi-town in a week. I'm uneasy with him in net.

And by the way, not even CLOSE to being the most delusional thing i've ever typed.

I'm done now. Make fun of me and my drinking and what not. It's cool bro.

Andre Ware disagrees Squid :)

Dennis...I would expect color for sarcasm.......

He had one bad season. Which followed his best season statistically. He was simply amazing in the playoffs last year, and has been one of the best in the playoffs this year.

IMO, you aren't comfortable with him because you don't like him. If he wasn't a Wing, you would blast him up and down. There is logically no other reason to NOT feel comfortable with him in net.

He will let in some he shouldn't. He will also stop some he shouldn't. See Christensen in game 5. But at the end of the day, he has been one of the most solid and consistent performers in Detroit sports in my generation. And I honestly believe that.

Osgood is no roy or brodeur. But is he at least a belfour, Turco, Joseph, richter? I would say definitely yes. Apart from brodeur , I would say there is no active goalie with a better resume than osgood

For me, Ozzie is the ottoman I can kick my feet up on.

I know he will be there and I'm not particularly worried about him blowing up. I think Ozzie is way closer to Mariano Rivera than The Rollercoaster. Sorry Denny.

It's the offense I'm shaky about...

Oh, i don't know Ob, Roy ... 86 to 96 .... good try. He's not Roy.

What does that have to do with anything? Can you guys not admit he's had GREAT defense in front of him? I mean come on. I love that he's helping the team now (He sure the hell didn't in the regular season) ... but to compare him to Roy ... maybe i need to tap out of this convo, cuz it don't add up.

When did I compare him to Roy?

So he's not as good as one of the greatest goalies of all time. That still doesn't mean he can't be very good or even great.

But I will go out on a limb and say he's much closer to Patrick Roy than he is to Todd Jones.

Osgood is no roy or brodeur. But is he at least a belfour, Turco, Joseph, richter? I would say definitely yes. Apart from brodeur , I would say there is no active goalie with a better resume than osgood

What about Fuhr?

I'm with DrWHO and Dubay on this one. Osgood is a better than average goalie with a great team in front of him, but He's not great. He has stepped up during the playoffs, though, especially in game 7. I'll give Osgood credit for giving the Red Wings a chance to win. Some bad calls by the Refs, and some determined play by the Ducks, made it a VERY close contest. Osgood played a very good game last night. No doubt. Without a couple of key saves at key moments, I think we'd be waking up today with a very BAD Hangover. Having said that though, Osgood is not great. Honestly, I'm surprised he's played as well as he did against the Ducks and in these playoffs. Go back a couple months in time. Even to the last few games before the start of the playoffs. How shakey was he? Alot of people were arguing HE was the weak link. I give him credit here, but he's not great.

so basically you are saying he's not great but he's played great and you don't know why.

so basically you are saying he's not great but he's played great and you don't know why.

Nope. He's good, not great, and he's had the benefit of very good teams in front of him. He did make a few key saves and key moments in Game 7. I'll give him credit for that. But he's not the story so far in the Red Wings success in this post season.

Ive always been a huge Chris Osgood fan. I have multiple jerseys with 30 on the back, and own an exact copy of his helmet that I actually wear for games occasionally. With that, I can still see his flaws and where he actually sits among goalies with high win totals and stanley cups.

Usually the most popular description says that he is a product of the system, which is pretty harsh. Its more like being the right goalie for the right team. Not every guy can get used to stopping 15-19 shots in late round playoff games, some need their usual 30-45 to get into a groove. Playing with Detroit for the last 15 years has given him the opportunity to climb into that upper class, and he has done an amazing job with it.

The Hall of Fame will be a longshot even if he gets his 400th win and 3rd cup (4th total... hopefully). But if you don't let Osgood in, do you let Joseph, Belfour, Richter, and those guys in? I say no. Better question, does #30 go upto the rafters in 10 years? Im going to assume a big YES on that one, and Ill fight hard to get tickets for that day.

Nope. He's good, not great, and he's had the benefit of very good teams in front of him. He did make a few key saves and key moments in Game 7. I'll give him credit for that. But he's not the story so far in the Red Wings success in this post season.

huh? everyone said is was the weak link going into the playoffs..some said, get Ty in there..if he is not the story, who is? Dats, Z, and Hossa have been almost invisible..yes, they have made some plays, but so has Ozzie. Story maybe the guys who play on the 3rd and 4th line. If not Ozzie, I give it to Helms, Cleary, Franzen, Abdelkader, and the refs..

With all due respect to those who claim Osgood deserves HoF recognition and who laud him as one of the all-time great goal tenders, I just can't bring myself to that way of thinking. Too many average/mediocre seasons with great teams and with great organizations. He brought his play off this post season and he did that last year on the way to the Cup. But, on the other hand, looking at his regular season stats this year, even last year, I am with quite a few others who were saying the Wings would be lucky to get to the WCF with Osgood in net. He just plain looked bad in too many games. Bottom line, he made some key saves at key moments, this series, especially in game 7 against a very good Anaheim team, but how many other goalies this post season did that and even more. Look at Hiller. How many key saves did he make? Quite few, probably more than Osgood. Osgood is expected to take his game up a notch in the playoffs. He has, and we're half way there. If HE and he alone steals a a couple games against Chicago and in the Finals, maybe I'll change my mind.

I would say ozzie is comparable to fuhr.

How many great teams did Fuhr play for? How about the Edmonton Oilers in the 80s. I think 4 straight Stanley Cups.

I think Osgood is a good goalie. The fact that the Wings constantly brought in other goalies and he wasnt even a full time starter most his career tells you something about him tho. Hasek, Vernon, Legace have all beaten him out for a job. In his 12 seasons with the wings he has only been a full time starter for 4 of them, split time for 6 (93-94 w/ Cheveldae, 94-95 w/ Vernon, 96-97 w/ Vernon, 00-01 w/ Legace, 07-08 w/ Hasek, 08-09 w/ Conklin) of them and was a backup for of 2 them(05-06 Legace, 06-07 Hasek). The only years you can say he was the full time starter were 95-96, 97-98, 98-99, 99-00. Im not trying to rip him because he has been a real good playoff performer and probably a top 10 or so goalie most years in the league, but I dont think he is an elite goalie. Im not putting his name near the Haseks, Roys, Brodeurs of the world. If he was in that group he would not have been competing for a job as much as he has.

Either way I am glad to have him because for his price he is very valuable. Maybe the best goalie for his salary in the NHL now that isnt still on a rookie contract.

Maybe the unfortunate thing for Osgood is the era he's played in. He has never been awarded the Vezina (best player at his position), only a couple of Jennings (lowest goals scored against). On the other hand, who's set the bar since he came into the NHL in '91. Hasek, Brodeur, Roy .... Hasek with 6 Vezinas, Brodeur with 4 or 5, Roy with 3 or 4. There's a reason Osgood is still trying to prove himself, and he may continue doing so for the rest of his career.

Of course he did. This is the fatal flaw in the Osgood-is-a-product-of-great-teams argument. So he's not as good as Roy, he's still great.

Read what I write instead of implying your thoughts on my words. YOU are the one that called him absolutely great - so we disagree. But don't put words in my mouth.

I didnt say he was a BAD goalie. I said he's a product of a TEAM. But you guys win. I'm wrong as usual. Back to my beer.

So what words was I putting into your mouth?

what is a shame is IF he does get into the HOF, fans will still pick him apart and he brought the cup to our team..

Osgood is most definitely an average goalie. An average hall of fame goalie. The only way he shouldn't make the hall of fame is if they remove half of the guys that are already in there.

No team wins the stanley cup without great defense in front of them.