Elevate

Let's talk about Chris Osgood

Dennis, are you implying that Roy didn't have a first class defense in front of him as well?

Les, can i ask you a question and you be TOTALLY honest. Is it even close to fair to compare Roy to Osgood, seriously? I mean, I hate Roy .... but .... i don't know man.

Oh, i don't know Ob, Roy ... 86 to 96 .... good try. He's not Roy.

What does that have to do with anything? Can you guys not admit he's had GREAT defense in front of him? I mean come on.

Wings are ranked 25th in power play killing during the season..hmmmmm great defense

Not at all. I'm implying that some forget that Ozzy DID and DOES have a first class defense in front of him. (although at times this season they've looked worse then usual - to be honest and fair).

So did Roy.

Honestly, put Roy on Winnipeg and the Islanders instead of Montreal and Colorado and everyone's tune would change.

Les, can i ask you a question and you be TOTALLY honest. Is it even close to fair to compare Roy to Osgood, seriously? I mean, I hate Roy .... but .... i don't know man.

Roy was a great goalie on good teams.

Osgood is/was a very good goalie on good teams.

The difference isn't as much as you make it out to be.

Dennis, are you implying that Roy didn't have a first class defense in front of him as well?

Of course he did. This is the fatal flaw in the Osgood-is-a-product-of-great-teams argument. So he's not as good as Roy, he's still great.

Oh, i don't know Ob, Roy ... 86 to 96 .... good try. He's not Roy.

What does that have to do with anything? Can you guys not admit he's had GREAT defense in front of him? I mean come on.

Wings are ranked 25th in power play killing during the season..hmmmmm great defense

Your best penalty killer is your goalie. Next?

Of course he did. This is the fatal flaw in the Osgood-is-a-product-of-great-teams argument. So he's not as good as Roy, he's still great.

Read what I write instead of implying your thoughts on my words. YOU are the one that called him absolutely great - so we disagree. But don't put words in my mouth.

As much as I hate on Osgood with my buddy's during the season, come playoff time I don't think there's anybody else better. Some of the saves he makes are unreal. He steps up come playoff time. Of course, come January 2nd 2010, I'll probably be seen somewhere calling him a bum.

There have been very few goalies, and even less in the last 30 years, who have had the consistent success Osgood has had. He won 30+ games with the Islanders man. The Isle!

There have been very few goalies, and even less in the last 30 years, who have had the consistent success Osgood has had. He won 30+ games with the Islanders man. The Isle!

I didnt say he was a BAD goalie. I said he's a product of a TEAM. But you guys win. I'm wrong as usual. Back to my beer.

What was his GAA this year. Next.

2.06 in the playoffs. Good for #2 in the league.

Now you bring up regular season stats...

I didnt say he was a BAD goalie. I said he's a product of a TEAM. But you guys win. I'm wrong as usual. Back to my beer.

And I argue that most, if not all, good goalies are products of their teams.

I don't think Osgood is a hall of fame goalie. He is a good goalie. He picks his game up in the playoffs. There's no doubt about that, but there are too many mediocre regular seasons, too many soft goals in the early part of his career. I complained all season long about him until the playoffs. Now I love him. I can't say I wouldnt want any other goalie, there isn't a goalie left that isnt good obviously. To make a long story short, Osgood is a good, not great, goalie. Closer to great though than average.

Your best penalty killer is your goalie. Next?

if your defense is so great, it should not get to that point..now should it?

25th rank power play killing defense..next

if your defense is so great, it should not get to that point..now should it?

But if we have such an elite goalie, maybe we can relax a bit .. right?

But if we have such an elite goalie, maybe we can relax a bit .. right?

Elite goalies...

Luongo...home

Thomas....home

Mason...home

Brodeur...home

Osgood...home...but playing this weekend.

You always stick up for everyone else.

When we go to that game in Peoria, your paying beeotch. :)

Elite goalies...

Luongo...home

Thomas....home

Mason...home

Brodeur...home

Osgood...home...but playing this weekend.

Face it folks (won't call you haters) Ozzie is an elite goalie.

Face it folks (won't call you haters) Ozzie is an elite goalie.

I don't hate Ozzie.

But he ain't elite.

He plays on an Elite team.

Roy was a great goalie on good teams.

Osgood is/was a very good goalie on good teams.

The difference isn't as much as you make it out to be.

Some of those teams Roy was on in Montreal weren't that good.

85/86 rookie year for Roy the Habs win a Stanley Cup and the Habs were a 5 seed in the Wales Conference

92/93 Habs were a 4 seed in the Eastern Conference

Roy is a generational goalie, Brodeur followed Roy and it's possible Luongo or maybe Ward if Carolina wins a cup is the next in line.

I don't hate Ozzie.

But he ain't elite.

He plays on an Elite team.

Yes you do.

Agreed. But he's about as solid as a guy can be.

So did Brodeur and Roy. How do we explain the years he played on shitty teams and led them to the playoffs. Then, immediately after leaving, those teams go back to complete suck?