Elevate

Let's talk about Chris Osgood

And Sky, I think you'll agree that Jacques Demers knows what playoff hockey in Detroit is like, and having won a Cup as head coach with a pretty good goalie in the net in '93 adds to his credibility. Here's what Demers said today in USA Today:

I think it's about time we started recognizing how good Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood is in the playoffs. No goaltender in the NHL has played better in the last two postseasons. After two games, he is a serious contender for the Conn Smythe Trophy, given to the league's playoff MVP.

During the regular season, you don't hear his name mentioned with the All-Star goalies such as Martin Brodeur of New Jersey or Roberto Luongo of Vancouver. But neither is in the Stanley Cup Finals for the second year in a row.

He's not as flashy as some goalies. But if I were putting together a hypothetical championship team out of active players, I'd have to consider Osgood.

Detroit has so much talent it doesn't need the goalie to be a star; it needs him to be steady.

No goalie with three Stanley Cup rings (1997, 1998, 2008) has gotten so much criticism, and perhaps that's because he's surrounded by good players. But he is humble and professional and makes the big save. Just look at the receiving line that surrounds Osgood after each win — it's easy to see his teammates love him.

He's respected by his coach, too. After Game 1, Mike Babcock said Osgood covered up some of the Red Wings' defensive mistakes with his 31 saves.

Osgood, 36, has 28 wins and a .930 save percentage in the last two postseasons and the endorsement of his teammates, coach and general manager, Ken Holland.

Holland was a stellar goalie in the AHL in the 1970s and 1980s. So if he didn't think Osgood was good enough to help Detroit win the Cup, he would have made a move at the trade deadline.

I can hear Pittsburgh Penguins fans saying, "The games would have been different if we hadn't hit the posts." But every Cup-winning goalie has had the benefit of good-looking shots bouncing off the posts.

So if you think he's just sitting back and getting lucky, consider the breakaway save he made on Evgeni Malkin in Game 2. If Osgood gave up a goal there, the momentum of the game might have changed and we could be talking about the Penguins being in great shape for Game 3, heading home with the series tied.

But we're not, and Osgood deserves plenty of credit.

I think this is a key sentence in what was written in the last post:

Detroit has so much talent it doesn't need the goalie to be a star; it needs him to be steady.

During the regular season ... ozzie wasn't steady ... he was subpar and it concerned me.

During the past 18 games however he's been the best goalie in the NHL.

So you go from Steady to Great in 18 and that's why we WILL win the Stanley Cup.

And Ozzie gets the Conn Smythe. Only the 14th time a Goalie wins it; last being Mike Vernon.

2 to 12

1 of 14.

I think this is a key sentence in what was written in the last post:

During the regular season ... ozzie wasn't steady ... he was subpar and it concerned me.

During the past 18 games however he's been the best goalie in the NHL.

So you go from Steady to Great in 18 and that's why we WILL win the Stanley Cup.

And Ozzie gets the Conn Smythe. Only the 14th time a Goalie wins it; last being Mike Vernon.

2 to 12

1 of 14.

I agree with that but if you look at the games lately Osgood has had to be more that just steady. Detroit hasn't played as well on defense, we tend to turn the puck over in our own zone more and havn't been playing as much of a puck possension game. With that being said, the Red Wings are a very talented team, and I fully expect them to finish this series with a Stanley Cup.

I agree with that but if you look at the games lately Osgood has had to be more that just steady. Detroit hasn't played as well on defense, we tend to turn the puck over in our own zone more and havn't been playing as much of a puck possension game. With that being said, the Red Wings are a very talented team, and I fully expect them to finish this series with a Stanley Cup.

Sorry, i guess i wasn't clear.

I'm saying Ozzie has been SPECTACULAR compared to the regular season. That's why we WILL win the cup. To many pops for me tonight. :0

Patrick Roy, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, and Cam Ward have all won the Conn Smythe Trophy since Mike Vernon did.

I want to see how the Pens do with the last line change at home before giving the Wings the Cup or Ozzie the Conn Smythe. Headed in the right direction though.

I want to see how the Pens do with the last line change at home before giving the Wings the Cup or Ozzie the Conn Smythe. Headed in the right direction though.

I agree. Truthfully, I would just like to see us get a split in Pittsburgh and try to clinch at the Joe.

Ray Ferraro was just on Rome and gushing over Osgood's play. He said if they win the Cup that Osgood will be the Conn Smythe winner and that will be enough to put him in the HOF. About the issue of him being a good goalie on a great team he asked "How many great goalies were on bad teams?" Good question.

Patrick Roy, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, and Cam Ward have all won the Conn Smythe Trophy since Mike Vernon did.

Whoops. My bad.

I agree. Truthfully, I would just like to see us get a split in Pittsburgh and try to clinch at the Joe.

+1 with the series going this way, I see the Wings maybe tanking game 4 just to win it in Detroit this time!:ponder:

nah, they're going to win when they can. They were like a minute away last year from winning and Pitt tied it up.

I think they will lose tonight and win game 4. Sweeps are really rare, and I don't know how long Detroit can ride the Griffins to victory. The Pens have carried the play for long stretches in both games, and that pressure is likely to pay off at some point..

I think many, if not most, posters who argued in favor of Chris Osgood's candidacy was predicated on the idea that Osgood would lead the Wings to another Stanley Cup in 2009. This did not happen, and I suspect at least some feel Chris isn't the candidate they once argued he was.

This is just my view, and take it for what it is worth, which admittedly isn't much, but I do not think one should let the outcome of last night's game influence their thinking on whether or not Chris belongs in the Hall. Despite the Wings being outplayed, had a few things gone differently - none of which had to do with Chris' play - the Wings could have won. I don't see why Kronwall hitting a cross-bar or Stuart turning the puck over in a frankly inexcusable manner, or giving up a 2 on 1 break has anything to do with Chris Osgood and the quality of his play.

This series loss, to me, is an excellent example why I don't like to focus too much on Stanley Cups in evaluating goaltenders for Hall of Fame induction. Cup wins are a nice indicator - I am not saying don't consider them - but they don't tell the whole story, or even most of the story, in my view.

He's still a HOF goalie to me. He was awesome the whole post season. They Wings lost because they didn't score enough goals, not because Chris Osgood let in too many. If Detroit had scored enough goals to win game 6 or 7, Ozzy is you Conn Smythe winner, period. Chris Osgood isn't counted on to score goals -- those who are failed him, not the other way around. In my opinion, of course.