Elevate

Let's talk about Chris Osgood

For how much crap he got during the regular season, he has been nothing short of stellar in the playoffs. I think Babcock just up and naming him the starter was the best thing he could have done. You can just see the confidence spilling out of him.

I don't care if nobody wants to talk about him. His performance hasn't surprised me at all. This is exactly the type of play I expected from Ozzie and I couldn't be more stoked for him.

We like to debate whether or not he is a HOF'er, but if he racks up enough clutch, playoff wins, I don't think there will be any question where he ranks amongst the playoff goaltending elite. I'm a little embarrassed that I even got caught up in his regular season struggles. When it's time to show up, Ozzie never fails.

Average goalie, surrounded by great talent.

No offense, but you are high.

He took the friggin Islanders to the playoffs for Pete's sake.

and all those great talent guys could not step up at times..didn't we lose the last one 2-1? nice offense..but then again, we had to play the refs too..I was wondering if we would talk about Ozzie, but average, he isn't.. he is not near the top, but a hell above average..he did step up during playoffs, just like he said before they started..

Ugh. I'm too tired to make a real argument, but this guy could go 16-0 in the playoffs with 16 shutouts and fans would still claim that he's just a product of the talent around him. Guys like Hasek (except in '02), Joseph, and Legace all failed with the same talent around them. He's taken two bottom-feeding teams to the playoffs during his stint away from the Wings. He's won two Stanley Cups as the starter, three total in his career. I won't claim that he's a Hall of Famer or anything, because I'm not sure either, but there aren't very many goalies I'd rather have manning the pipes May through July than Ozzie.

He's the product of a great system of players. But he performs when needed. Each needs the other. He's not the greatest ... not even close to the best ... but he's serviceable and capable and that's what we need. He's going to get 28 shots a night at him. It's a long and boring road he travels ... and he travels well ... as long as his compass is pointed in the right direction.

No one is claiming he is the best. But I will argue for a long time that he's closer to the best then he is "an average goalie".

No one is claiming he is the best. But I will argue for a long time that he's closer to the best then he is "an average goalie".

Agreed.

Hey, i was hard on the guy this past season. I felt and feel Conky is just as good but hasn't been given a chance ... that said ...

We don't win THIS series with Conky in net.

I'm big enough to admit that. No fat jokes, Morons.

He's easily the most under-rated goalie in my llifetime. Not even close. How many "average" goalies have won multiple Cups? How many Goalies with multiple Cups did so without great talent around them? Chris Osgood is a great goalie. Better than good, not elite, but absolutely great.

Flat out...the most under rated goalie in NHL history!

Great teams don't win cups without GREAT goaltending!!!!

Regardless of what anyone wants to say...Ozzy will always be an elite goallie to me.

He's easily the most under-rated goalie in my llifetime. Not even close. How many "average" goalies have won multiple Cups? How many Goalies with multiple Cups did so without great talent around them? Chris Osgood is a great goalie. Better than good, not elite, but absolutely great.

I need to type faster....+1

I'm too lazy to look it up but what other goalies have won stanley cups 10 years apart?

I'm too lazy to look it up but what other goalies have won stanley cups 10 years apart?

Off the top of my head, Roy did.

Honestly, I would feel very comfortable with Ozzie leading team Canada onto the ice for the gold medal game next February,

This strong game 7 effort by Ozzie is a nice bookend to his unjustly overlooked overtime effort against st louis in 1996 in an even more pressure-packed situation.

Oh, i don't know Ob, Roy ... 86 to 96 .... good try. He's not Roy.

What does that have to do with anything? Can you guys not admit he's had GREAT defense in front of him? I mean come on. I love that he's helping the team now (He sure the hell didn't in the regular season) ... but to compare him to Roy ... maybe i need to tap out of this convo, cuz it don't add up.

Hes good not great. But sense we won tonight, I am down with blowing smoke up his anus.

I completely disagree. Are his numbers inflated because of the teams around him? Of course, but thats hardly his fault. People underestimate how hard it is to stay sharp and be ready when you aren't seeing a ton of shots. He is mentally as good as any goalie in NHL history. He gets the most out of his talent, he is a great goaltender. As goat said, he isn't ELITE, but he is great.

Dennis, are you implying that Roy didn't have a first class defense in front of him as well?

Not at all. I'm implying that some forget that Ozzy DID and DOES have a first class defense in front of him. (although at times this season they've looked worse then usual - to be honest and fair).

Wasn't it amazing how Dryden and billy smith overcame weak habs and islanders defense respectively to steal their Stanley cups?