Disclaimer: I only follow NBA, not college or Euro. But I've done some reading on Rubio and I just don't get the love.

He's built like a stick and doesn't have that athletic jumping ability you'd like. His stats don't look all that great for someone who supposed to be such a huge talent, especially playing in a weaker league.

I don't watch European basketball, but this is basically what I have learned from reading up on Rubio.

Rubio plays for DKV Joventut. That team plays in two leagues. The first is the Spanish league named ACB. It is generally regarded as one of the best single nation leagues in the world. Obviously this is debatable, but the league is in the discussion. The second league they play in is called Euroleague. Euroleague is a multi nation league made up of teams from 12 different countries and is considered the second best league in the world behind the NBA, and its not really debatable on that one. And yes, it is better then anything the NCAA has. So not only does he play in two of the better leagues in the world, he started playing in them at the age of 14.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/05/22/draftx.rubio/index.html?rss=true

His debut in the strongest league in Europe came at age 14.

He's a transition PG that isn't great in the half court or with the outside shot. He can't produce in a one-on-one situation against his current competition, how's he going to provide any sort of dribble penetration at the NBA level?

He is good in transition no doubt, and his jump shot is awful but that is something you can work on. I have read conflicting reports on his ability to get to the hoop. But the real reason you want Rubio, he is often considered one of the best in the world at running the pick and roll. With the NBA basically becoming a pick and roll league now, getting a PG who can run this well is huge, and Rubio is it.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ricky-Rubio-1155/

Rubio is one of the best pick and roll players you'll find in basketball today, NBA or not. According to Synergy Sports Technology's quantified report, an astounding 62% of his offensive possessions come in this fashion. His ability to deliver crisp, perfectly timed passes directly into the hands of a cutting teammate for an easy basket is uncanny, as he makes the game so incredibly simple, doing everything but put the ball into the net for them. It's exactly this type of court vision and feel for the game that has produced comparisons to Steve Nash, even if their perimeter shooting and defensive skills couldn't be any more different. He has a similar ability to change speeds with the ball and simultaneously see every inch of the court, not hesitating for an instant to deliver a bullet pass underneath the rim for an easy layup.

This just smells of Darko to me. I don't want to move up to the second pick and take another young Euro project with all kinds of hype. Someone else can have him.

Low blow with the Darko comparison! :classic:

Darko's greatness was a myth. Nobody liked him before his big workout with Detroit. The year before he was drafted, he could only manage to play 10 minutes per game.

Rubio on the other hand was playing in some of the best leagues in the world since he was 14, and contributing to his teams. Yeah a lot of the times he was a backup, but thats because Rudy Fernandez was playing in front of him. Here are some of his awards he has won:

* Won 3 Catalan National Leagues (2005, 2007, 2008)

* Won the FIBA EuroCup Championship (2006)

* Led the Spanish ACB League in steals (2007)

* Won the Spanish ACB League Rising Star Award (2007)

* 2 times FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year (2007, 2008)

* Won the Spanish King's Cup (2008)

* Won the ULEB Cup Championship (2008)

* All-Spanish ACB League Team (2008)

* Voted the Spanish ACB League's Best Point Guard (2008)

* Mr. Europa Award (2008)

* Spanish ACB League Defensive Player of the Year (2009)

The ones that stand out to me are, defensive player of the year, All-Spanish ACB league team, ACB best point guard, and Mr. Europa - which is an award given to the best european basketball player that year, no matter where he is playing, so even NBA players are eligible.

Yes his stats look bad this year, but he has been playing the whole season with a broken wrist or damaged ligament, something like that. I know he has been playing with one hand all year. Also remember, the kid just turned 18 years old. And he did pretty good going up against Paul and Williams in the Olympics this past summer.

Rubio is probably never going to be Chris Paul or Deron Williams when it comes to scoring. But he will come in and play great defense and run your team like a PG should. He will absolutely kill teams on the pick and roll and get the ball in the right guys hands on the right spot on the floor. Any scoring you get will just be a bonus.

If I move up to #2, I take Thabeet. At least I know the kid can rebound, block shots, and clog the paint. Pair him up with a scoring PF (Boozer or Bosh) and you're in business. Good luck finding a 7'3" shot blocking Center anywhere else if you waste a #2 pick on a Euro prospect at PG.

Thabeet is terrible. All you need to know about his is 6'7" DeJuan Blair absolutely destroying him this year. If you get physical with Thabeet, he is done. In the Final Four against MSU he had it going a little bit. MSU put him on his butt and he disappeared after that. To me he looks awkward and not very athletic or quick. I think he has a long road ahead of him in the NBA, as teams will bring his man out on the perimeter to pick and roll him to death.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090522/SPORTS0102/905220425/1127/rss13

Pistons work out draft possibilities

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Auburn Hills -- The Pistons completed their first week of workouts for draft-eligible players.

George David, director of player personnel for the team, said 20 players worked out, and most were players the Pistons would consider with their three second-round picks.

The workouts were closed to the media, and David would only release 10 names. Of those, only two would be considered for the first-round pick (15th) -- Arizona small forward Chase Budinger and Kentucky shooting guard Jodie Meeks.

The others: Temple shooting guard Dionte Christmas, Miami (Ohio) and Grosse Pointe South graduate Michael Bramos (small forward-shooting guard), Alabama-Birmingham shooting guard Robert Vaden, North Carolina small forward Danny Green, Marquette small forward Wes Matthews, French point guard Nando De Colo, Gonzaga point guard Jeremy Pargo, and Miami point guard Jack McClinton.

Besides the 15th pick, the Pistons also select 36th, 39th and 44th in the June 25 draft.

...He is good in transition no doubt, and his jump shot is awful but that is something you can work on. I have read conflicting reports on his ability to get to the hoop. But the real reason you want Rubio, he is often considered one of the best in the world at running the pick and roll. With the NBA basically becoming a pick and roll league now, getting a PG who can run this well is huge, and Rubio is it... The ones that stand out to me are, defensive player of the year, All-Spanish ACB league team, ACB best point guard, and Mr. Europa - which is an award given to the best european basketball player that year, no matter where he is playing, so even NBA players are eligible... And he did pretty good going up against Paul and Williams in the Olympics this past summer... Rubio is probably never going to be Chris Paul or Deron Williams when it comes to scoring. But he will come in and play great defense and run your team like a PG should. He will absolutely kill teams on the pick and roll and get the ball in the right guys hands on the right spot on the floor. Any scoring you get will just be a bonus.

Rubio sounds like Jason Kidd.

Decent comp? Or way too high?

Rubio sounds like Jason Kidd.

Decent comp? Or way too high?

Sounds about right to me. The ability to create and being a bad shooter at least. People keep comparing him to Nash so I get the feeling he kind of plays out of control a bit like Nash does.

Thabeet is terrible. All you need to know about his is 6'7" DeJuan Blair absolutely destroying him this year. If you get physical with Thabeet, he is done. In the Final Four against MSU he had it going a little bit. MSU put him on his butt and he disappeared after that. To me he looks awkward and not very athletic or quick. I think he has a long road ahead of him in the NBA, as teams will bring his man out on the perimeter to pick and roll him to death.

I'm glad somebody finally brought this up. Thabeet gets absolutely abused when he has to match up against a power player in the post. He's a great weak-side shot blocker, but that alone will not make him a decent NBA player.

It makes me cringe when I see people saying they hope we trade up to get him. I don't see him ever getting close to the Mutumbo comparisons.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/23/rubios-agent-doesnt-rule-out-grizzlies/

Ricky Rubio's agent doesn't rule out Grizzlies

By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said Friday there was cordial talk -- and no threats -- when he met with the agent for Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio.

"We had a productive and wide-ranging discussion. It was a good meeting," Wallace said from Los Angeles before he boarded a plane for Spain to watch the 18-year-old Rubio, who according to an Internet report might not want to play in Memphis.

Despite the report by Draftexpress.com, the Griz, who have the No. 2 pick in the June 25 draft, have yet to receive a similar vibe directly from Rubio's camp.

Wallace said he had a "cordial meeting" with Rubio agent Dan Fegan.

"I also talked to him about some of his other clients," Wallace said. "We're very early in this process."

After Oklahoma's Blake Griffin, Rubio is widely considered the draft's second-best prospect.

Citing unnamed sources, Draftexpress.com reported this week that Fegan would rather steer Rubio to Los Angeles -- where the Clippers have the No. 1 pick.

Fegan unsuccessfully attempted to bully the Milwaukee Bucks into passing on Yi Jianlian in the 2007 draft. The Bucks took Yi anyway.

Wallace and Griz coach Lionel Hollins will watch Rubio play in an ACB playoff game today in Madrid. They will then visit with Rubio and his family near Barcelona.

"We'll meet with him and go from there," Wallace said.

Wallace acknowledged that the Griz are high on Rubio's abilities but pointed out that the team has just begun to explore a number of options.

Memphis will explore trying to trade up and swap picks with the Clippers so it can land Griffin. The Griz will also listen to offers to move down in the draft, possibly acquiring an established NBA talent, or staying at No. 2 and possibly grabbing Rubio.

"We've got a long way to go," said Wallace, who also met with Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet and his agent, Bill Duffy, Thursday in Los Angeles.

While Thabeet is considered among the draft's top three prospects, the general consensus is the Griz would select Rubio at No.2.

I

Darko's greatness was a myth. Nobody liked him before his big workout with Detroit. The year before he was drafted, he could only manage to play 10 minutes per game.

This has nothing to do with Rubio, but Darko's star was shining very brightly before Detroit worked him out. He wasn't a star. He was a young big who could run the court, pass and shoot. I was in my car the night the order was picked and I still remember the ESPN guys gushing about him, one even said if James wasn't in the draft or the Cavs weren't picking first, Darko was a potential number 1 pick.

This has nothing to do with Rubio, but Darko's star was shining very brightly before Detroit worked him out. He wasn't a star. He was a young big who could run the court, pass and shoot. I was in my car the night the order was picked and I still remember the ESPN guys gushing about him, one even said if James wasn't in the draft or the Cavs weren't picking first, Darko was a potential number 1 pick.

Yeah, and what happened just before the draft order was set? Darko was worked out by the Pistons and everyone fell in love with him. That is just what I said. Until that workout, nobody was talking about Darko.

My original point was that all the hype about Darko was just that, hype. He had done nothing to earn it other then be 7 foot and somewhat ahtletic, oh and have a good workout. He wasn't a starter on his pro team and hell, he never even averaged double digits in points. That is the future hall of fame player?

Rubio has done it, and has the awards and stats to prove it. Does that mean he wont be a huge bust too? Of course not, but at least you have a lot more to go off of then some closed door workout.

Edited by Deleterious

I get a lot of my information from Chad Ford on ESPN.com. He wrote an article saying two very interesting things.

1. The Thunder might looking to shop the #3 pick because Memphis really likes Thabeet at #2 and they don't really need another point guard (Rubio) with Westbrook already there. Ford makes the point, and I think it is a good one, that Westbrook strengths play better at the point than the two guard position. If the Thunder use the #3 pick as the Ricky Rubio sweepstakes, would the Pistons get involved?

2. The second point is scary for me. He suggests the Pistons may trade their first round pick in order to get further under the cap and sign two premier free agents (Gordon and Millsap/Boozer) this summer. I think this would be a huge mistake as I don't believe there are two free agents on the market who would make us a championship team anytime in the near future.

That kid that they mention, Michael Bramos was a year or two younger than me & went to the same high school as me, GP North, not South.

That would be absolutely wild if he made it into the NBA.....

Dont hold your breath

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59373/20090525/bucks_could_replace_sessions_with_flynn/

Bucks Could Replace Sessions With Flynn

The Bucks, who have the tenth overall pick, are showing interest in Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn, according to DraftExpress.com.

It is appearing more and more unlikely that Milwaukee will be able to retain point guard Ramon Sessions due to his contract demands.

RealGM Note: Christopher Reina, the Executive Editor of RealGM, has projected that the Bucks will select point guard Brandon Jennings with the tenth selection.

Reina has Flynn going fourteenth to the Suns in his latest mock draft.

Here is the complete list of players participating in the draft combine:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090526/SPORTS03/90526071/1051/rss16

PLAYER, COLLEGE/CLUB

Jeff Adrien, Connecticut

Rodrigue Beaubois, Cholet (France)

DeJuan Blair, Pittsburgh

Jon Brockman, Washington

Derrick Brown, Xavier

Chase Budinger, Arizona

Nick Calathes, Florida

DeMarre Carroll, Missouri

Omri Casspi, Maccabi Elite (Israel)

Dionte Christmas, Temple

Earl Clark, Louisville

Darren Collison, UCLA

Dante Cunningham, Villanova

Stephen Curry, Davidson

Austin Daye, Gonzaga

DeMar DeRozan, Southern California

Toney Douglas, Florida State

Wayne Ellington, North Carolina

Tyreke Evans, Memphis

Jonny Flynn, Syracuse

Taj Gibson, Southern California

Danny Green, North Carolina

Blake Griffin, Oklahoma

Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina

Luke Harangody, Notre Dame

James Harden, Arizona State

Gerald Henderson, Duke

Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga

Jordan Hill, Arizona

Jrue Holiday, UCLA

Joe Ingles, Melbourne South Dragons (Australia)

Damion James, Texas

James Johnson, Wake Forest

Gani Lawal, Georgia Tech

Ty Lawson, North Carolina

Eric Maynor, Virginia Commonwealth

Jack McClinton, Miami (Fla.)

Jerel McNeal, Marquette

Jodie Meeks, Kentucky

Patrick Mills, Saint Mary's

B.J. Mullens, Ohio State

Jeff Pendergraph, Arizona State

A.J. Price, Connecticut

Tyler Smith, Tennessee

DaJuan Summers, Georgetown

Jermaine Taylor, Central Florida

Jeff Teague, Wake Forest

Hasheem Thabeet, Connecticut

Marcus Thornton, Louisiana State

Greivis Vasquez, Maryland

Terrence Williams, Louisville

Sam Young, Pittsburgh

http://www.freep.com/article/20090527/SPORTS03/905270302/1051/rss16

Top college prospects will put best foot forward at predraft showcase

The NBA conducts its annual predraft combine starting today at Attack Athletics Gym in Chicago. Fifty-two players are scheduled to work out and conduct interviews with NBA personnel over the next five days in the hope of hearing their names called in the June 25 draft. Free Press sports writer Vince Ellis provides more details.

The Big Three

By all accounts the top three draft prospects are Oklahoma power forward Blake Griffin, Spain point guard Ricky Rubio and Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet.

Griffin is the consensus No. 1 pick and likely will be selected by the Clippers, unless they trade the pick. Thabeet and Rubio appear to be jockeying to go No. 2 to the Grizzlies. Griffin and Thabeet are scheduled to be in Chicago.

From Chicago to Detroit

It's hard to see a scenario in which the Pistons' pick at No. 15 wouldn't be among the 52 prospects at the combine.

Various mock drafts have the Pistons taking Virginia Commonwealth point guard Eric Maynor, Gonzaga small forward Austin Daye, Ohio State center B.J. Mullens, Louisville small forward Terrence Williams or Wake Forest small forward James Johnson. All five will be in Chicago.

Mullens, by the way, will be the lone Big Ten player there. No players from Michigan schools will be at the combine.

No more 5-on-5 scrimmages

There will not be five-on-five scrimmages as in years past at the camp, according to ESPN.com hoops guru Chad Ford. Still on the agenda: vertical jumps, bench pressing, other light drills, medical exams and one-on-one player interviews by NBA teams.

Point guards rule

While the big-men prospects are scarce, there are many point-guard prospects along with Maynor. There could be 10 selected in the first round.

What's next?

The annual Reebok Eurocamp will be June 6-8 in Treviso, Italy. Point guard Brandon Jennings, who caused a stir when he jumped overseas from high school last summer, is scheduled to be there.

On June 15, the draft-eligible list will be complete with the deadline for underclassmen returning to school who haven't signed with an agent. Then teams will conduct individual workouts to get ready for June 25.

The following players will be brought in to be worked out by the Pistons. I doubt this is a complete list, but its all I could find right now. Click on their name for their bio.

June 8, 2009

Leo Lyons PF - 6'9" 225 Lbs. Missouri.

DeJuan Blair PF - 6'6" 287 Lbs. Pittsburgh.

June 9, 2009

Robert Dozier PF - 6'10" 205 Lbs. Memphis.

June 10, 2009

Marcus Thornton SG - 6'4" 198 Lbs. LSU.

Lyons, Dozier and Thornton are all possibilities for the 2nd round.

The more I see Blair, the more I hope Dumars stays far away. This guy will be about 0.7 blocks per game different than Maxiell.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/05/pistons_mulling_over_bj_mullen.html

Pistons mulling over Ohio State's B.J. Mullens

by A. Sherrod Blakely

Thursday May 28, 2009, 11:55 AM

The Detroit Pistons are in Chicago for the NBA pre-draft camp continuing their evaluation of several prospects, with at least one likely to be donning a Detroit Pistons jersey next season.

Although much attention has been paid to Detroit's need for added firepower/athleticism on the perimeter, the Pistons have some pretty big holes to fill in the frontcourt as well.

Rasheed Wallace is a free agent, and isn't expected back next season. Antonio McDyess will become a free agent, and there's a very good chance he'll latch on with another team closer to winning a championship than Detroit.

That leaves a huge void upfront, one that Detroit may look to address via the draft with B.J. Mullens.

Although he only played one year of college basketball, Mullens is widely considered the second-best center in this draft behind UConn's Hasheem Thabeet.

That inexperience, coupled with a questionable work ethic, have raised some concerns about how he will fare at the next level.

But as one NBA scout told me earlier this week, "he's a 7-footer, everyday. That, and the fact that the kid does have some good basketball skills offensively, will give him a shot at being in the league for a long time."

Darko#2..awesome...can't wait for the sequel..I will renounce my fandom if they draft this stiff. If tthey draft Mullens I will know until Dumars is replaced the rebulding is hopeless.

This really shocks me. I figured if a 7 footer had any talent at all, people would love to have him. But you are about the 4th or 5th person I have seen react this way. He must be horrible.

Toughness is the first trait Dumars looks for and Mullens ain't got it. This is what you call a smokescreen.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090528/SPORTS03/90528074/1051/SPORTS03/Point+guard+draft+prospect+Eric+Maynor+likes+Pistons

Point guard draft prospect Eric Maynor likes Pistons

CHICAGO -- Count point guard prospect Eric Maynor as an admirer of the Pistons franchise.

And while he has workouts and interviews scheduled with Golden State, Minnesota and Toronto, he said today during interviews at the NBA predraft combine that he will definitely fit in a trip to Detroit before June 25 -- the date of the draft.

“I saw (Pistons coach) Mike Curry (Wednesday) and he asked was I coming up there,” said Maynor, who is projected to go in the first round. “I know I’m going up there, but I don’t know the exact date, though.”

Maynor stands 6-feet-3 and during a four-year career at Virginia Commonwealth he was known for making big shots -- including the winner in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Duke his sophomore season.

The draft is loaded with point guards so if the Pistons want to go that route with the 15th pick of the first round, Maynor would appear to be a candidate.

And he broke down the situation in Detroit for me.

“Honestly, it’ll all boil down to what trades are going to happen,” Maynor said. “I think there’s going to be a lot of change in there.

“Mike Curry is a great guy, a great coach, but he just needs guys that are going to be committed to winning.”

I'd be pretty happy if the Pistons ended up with Maynor, he seems to fit the Pistons mold well, and being from a small school might be underdrafted. I just don't want them to overdraft a big man, this is a PG draft, so I suppose they need to just get the best value at #15 they can.