I like having all the 2nd round picks. Thats where guys like Rajon Rondo were found. It's only a 2 round draft, so there should be some talent out there.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59054/20090508/sources_uks_patterson_will_withdraw_from_draft/

Bummer if he was predicted to go ahead of the Pistons. One less player from the pool to pick from now.

Actaully he was a power player the Pistons would have considered..not a bad idea to go back to school..in Calipari's scheme he could move into the top 10 next year..

I like having all the 2nd round picks. Thats where guys like Rajon Rondo were found. It's only a 2 round draft, so there should be some talent out there.

Rajon Rondo was selected 21st overall by the Suns and then sold off because their owner is cheap.

I don't think the Pistons will trade out of the first round, but I wouldn't necessarily be mad if they did. With the economic situation as it is I think there might be nothing more valuable to other teams than the ability to trade salary commitment for nothing. Even more valuable than young draft picks. So, if they want the maximum amount of available salary space available i won't complain.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/5605

By Aran_Smith

Sun, 05/10/2009 - 10:00am

Curry to the Knicks?

A rumor that has been gaining steam is that the Knicks will select Stephen Curry with their 8th pick. We've received word that there could be truth to this from inside sources claiming that Curry chose to put his name into the draft this year based on the Knicks assuring Curry that they would use their lottery selection to draft him.

Obviously a lot could happen between now and the draft. The Knicks could always win the lottery (they're not using a top 3 pick on him) or trade their pick.

But it appears to be a legitimate possibility that if the Knicks have the 8th pick on draft night they will use it on Curry. Curry's game would fit extremely well in Mike D'Antoni's wide open style and his scoring ability would be enhanced.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090511/SPORTS03/905110352/1051/rss16

Badgers' Marcus Landry to work out for Pistons

With next month's NBA draft approaching, this is the time when you start hearing about college prospects visiting the Pistons for a predraft workout.

Advertisement

The Racine (Wis.) Journal-Times reported that Wisconsin senior forward Marcus Landry will work out for the Pistons next month.

Landry, a 6-foot-7, 230-pounder, led the Badgers with 12.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season.

The Pistons have the 15th pick in the first round of the June 25 draft, but Landry is considered a prospect for the second round, where the Pistons have three picks (Nos. 36, 39 and 44).

Landry was scheduled to work out for the Houston Rockets last weekend and also has workouts scheduled with the Bulls, Kings, Timberwolves and Grizzlies.

Landry is considered more of an inside player, but he showed some perimeter skills at the Portsmouth (Va.) Invitational, a showcase for college seniors, in early April.

But Landry lacks the size to be a major inside threat and the all-around skills to play small forward.

His older brother, Carl, is a reserve forward for the Rockets.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/05/memphis_tyreke_evans_a_possibl.html

Memphis' Tyreke Evans a possible target for Detroit Pistons

by A. Sherrod Blakely

Tuesday May 12, 2009, 12:21 PM

The Detroit Pistons have plenty of needs during this offseason, such as a guard who can score in bunches, or who is athletic enough to create shot opportunities for himself or his teammates. There are few in this year's draft that are better in those areas than Memphis' Tyreke Evans.

Once considered ready for the NBA as a sophomore - that's high school, not college - Evans has shown flashes of being a dominant player at the next level. But like most basketball prodigies, Evans hasn't lived up to the larger-than-life expectations.

Still, he showed enough potential in his one season at Memphis to be a player that's high on the draft boards of most NBA teams.

Here's the skinny on Evans.

Height: 6-6

Weight: 219

College: Memphis

Last season's stats: 17.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.9 assists.

Strengths: An excellent scorer who can beat you off the dribble or blow past you while driving into the lane. Has a 7-foot-3 wingspan, which helps explain why he's such a good rebounder for a guard. A flashy player who can deliver highlight-worthy plays either scoring or passing the ball.

Weaknesses: Because the game has come to so easy to him, his work ethic has been questioned. Streaky shooter who relies too much on his athleticism to be effective. He played the point at Memphis, but averaged almost as many assists (3.9) as turnovers (3.6).

Projected draft position: Middle of first round.

Rajon Rondo was selected 21st overall by the Suns and then sold off because their owner is cheap.

I don't think the Pistons will trade out of the first round, but I wouldn't necessarily be mad if they did. With the economic situation as it is I think there might be nothing more valuable to other teams than the ability to trade salary commitment for nothing. Even more valuable than young draft picks. So, if they want the maximum amount of available salary space available i won't complain.

Shoot, I forgot about that. The Suns have been so weird with the draft.

BJ Mullens...?

I was checking out that link. Now, keep in mind that I watch almost no college ball. So, can someone enlighten me as to how a 7' center with this description:

Bigman with a smooth offensive repertoire, including drop steps , face the basket skills and good touch … Elite level fluidity and agility plus a top shelf NBA center body … Runs the floor very light on his feet … Has a big frame with strong shoulders and long arms … Should be able to put on another 20 pounds without losing much mobility … Enjoys contact and fights for boards and position under the basket … Athletic, good explosiveness … Has a good feel for the game … Very good post skills with the ability to face the basket and hit shots out to the perimeter … Creates a big target inside Solid rebounder, understands how to box out … Uses the glass well a là Tim Duncan …

Can fall to 16th on the draft board. Is it just white Center syndrome? I mean, having had Darko here, I get it, but wouldn't that be a no brainer pick for a team so desperately in need of a rebounding center that score in the paint?

BJ Mullens...?

I was checking out that link. Now, keep in mind that I watch almost no college ball. So, can someone enlighten me as to how a 7' center with this description:

Can fall to 16th on the draft board. Is it just white Center syndrome? I mean, having had Darko here, I get it, but wouldn't that be a no brainer pick for a team so desperately in need of a rebounding center that score in the paint?

That bio you are reading is from August 2007, before he played a college game. Here is his bio from April 2009.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/B.J.-Mullens-1107/

• B.J. Mullens can catch and finish as well as anyone, but he has an extremely hard time creating his own shot.

The third one-and-done center from Ohio State in as many years, B.J. Mullens did not have the type of year some expected him to have. Operating under the shadow of last year’s outrageously talented freshman class, Mullens made some strides as the season went on. Before we talk about what held him back, lets to a look at what he already does well. His 1.41 PPP as a finisher was amongst the best in our entire database, which backs up the perception that Mullens is an unusually gifted athlete with very solid hands. Unfortunately, he only got 3.6 opportunities to finish each game, which was far below the average for big men we looked at. Possessing nice speed for a player his size, Mullens is also capable of getting up and finishing in transition according to his situational stats, but he didn’t get all that many opportunities to do so, going 12/14 on the year.

On the block, Mullens scored .85 PPP on 2.8 possessions per game, which is not very impressive. His post game obviously lacks polish, and he clearly has a tendency to force the issue, which you can see in his incredibly poor passing rate, which rival only Hasheem Thabeet in this draft. Still, you would expect to see him get a few more touches in the post considering how few other offensive options Ohio State had this season.

Despite the lack of touches, Mullens had a relatively efficient year with the possessions he did receive, scoring %59.7 of his possessions, good for second amongst all centers. Blessed with awesome athleticism and possessing great hands, Mullens has some unique tools. However, he’s going to need a lot of help to achieve his potential. He has more going for him than Thabeet did at that point in his career, but is nowhere near the defensive presence, and thus may very well have to develop his game while riding the pine, since he’s not likely to get a lot of playing time right away. Mullens will have to put in the work in on his own if he’s to earn playing time, and thus will have to develop a good deal of self-discipline with his work ethic if he’s to reach his potential.

BJ Mullens...?

I have watched most of the games that BJ has played in. He is a very good prospect who probably would be a #1 overall if he had stayed at Ohio State a couple of more years. He just lacks experience and body maturation. My question is will the NBA ruin him since he will now be a pro with coaches that will treat him like ever other pro. I just don't think he is ready at this point and is 50% -50% if he develops. Just my opinion..... he does have offensive skills and needs to develop strength.

I have watched most of the games that BJ has played in. He is a very good prospect who probably would be a #1 overall if he had stayed at Ohio State a couple of more years. He just lacks experience and body maturation. My question is will the NBA ruin him since he will now be a pro with coaches that will treat him like ever other pro. I just don't think he is ready at this point and is 50% -50% if he develops. Just my opinion..... he does have offensive skills and needs to develop strength.

He lacks sense..because if your premise was true..the monetary rewards are huge..check the guaranteed salary differential between #15 and #1.

I watched him in person once and play numerous times on TV..he lacks any court sense whatsoever..has zero defensive presence for an supposed athletic 7 footer, he fouled, far more than rebounded or blocked shots..had zero idea how to post..pass out of double teams or bang..

He made Kosta Koufous look like Blake Griffin..

Great hoopers have alot more going for them than height an some athleticism..it takes heart, will, smarts and the ablility to improve..

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090518#STORY_18881

Pistons Add Twist to Pre-Draft Workouts

(Arnie) Kander, who has worked for the Pistons since 1992, will conduct the workouts that emphasize a prospect's strength, speed and jumping ability -- with a twist.

Instead of just having a player jump, Kander will have him run around obstacles and then jump -- kind of simulating an actual game situation when going for a rebound.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090518#STORY_18892

Could Blake Griffin, Top Pick be Traded?

If hoping, wishing, praying and keeping your fingers crossed isn’t enough to bring Oklahoma City the No. 1 overall pick Tuesday night during the NBA Draft Lottery, there is one last possibility that could put Blake Griffin in a Thunder uniform.

A trade.

It’s the unlikeliest of possibilities. Only twice in NBA history has a team with the first pick traded the selection. But, hey, it could happen, especially since there seems to be a few teams in lottery land in position to part with Griffin should they land the top spot.

But any hope of the Thunder brokering a trade is contingent on Oklahoma City jumping to the second overall pick and selecting Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, the consensus No. 2 prospect if he stays in the draft.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59244/20090518/executive_this_could_be_worst_draft_ever/

Executive: This Could Be 'Worst Draft Ever'

With Blake Griffin considered the only sure-fire top pick, many regard this year's draft class as one of the worst in recent memory.

One Eastern Conference president took the assessment one step further.

"This could be one of the worst drafts ever," said the president. "Of course, we're coming off two pretty good drafts."

Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio and Connecticut's Hasheem Thabeet are considered by many to be the best options after Griffin.

Is it just me, or does it seem we get comments like this for most drafts?

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59244/20090518/executive_this_could_be_worst_draft_ever/

Is it just me, or does it seem we get comments like this for most drafts?

I don't believe so. It is fair to say this years draft lacks top notch talent and to say it has depth is just stupid. Every year there is similar depth. If you look at past drafts, they all have similar numbers of 2nd rounds picks becoming solid contributors with the one or two who come forth as all-stars. For comparison sakes, Blake Griffin would probably have fallen out of top 5 last year but is hands down the BPA this year.

If they draft BJ Mullens, I will probably cry. He will be horrible and I will be very surprised if he ever becomes more than a big body at the end of the bench.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59256/20090519/colangelo_we_might_want_another_pick/

Colangelo: We Might Want Another Pick

The Raptors find themselves back in the lottery for the first time since 2006 when they landed the top overall pick.

"Overall I think the draft is a bit watered down, but at this stage of the evaluation process there are at least 10 to 12 players that we like and feel can come in and help address a need," said Bryan Colangelo. "Therefore, regardless of Tuesday's result, we will be content with the pick."

The Raptors have a very small chance, just 1.7 percent of landing the No. 1 pick. They could also drop as low as 12th, but if all goes according to plan they will draft ninth.

"Picking on position alone is dangerous because you might be passing up a better talent that's available," Colangelo said. "What you hope to find is a player that satisfies both talent and need."

Colangelo hasn't been shy about making moves on draft day, and could do the same this year.

"After the obvious top four or five picks, it's pretty wide open so a couple of our targeted players might even be on the board later in the round," Colangelo said. "Thus we might consider obtaining another pick if one becomes available."

If they draft BJ Mullens, I will probably cry. He will be horrible and I will be very surprised if he ever becomes more than a big body at the end of the bench.

+1

I guess it depends on who is left at 15. If they are just going to take another undersized PF like Blair, I would prefer to take a chance on Mullens. If a 7 footer has any upside at all, I would take a shot at him. I will be the first to admit I know nothing about Mullens though.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/05/pistons_turn_attention_to_nba.html

Pistons turn attention to NBA draft lottery results

by A. Sherrod Blakely

Tuesday May 19, 2009, 2:45 AM

AUBURN HILLS -- It is too soon to tell who the Detroit Pistons will select with the No. 15 pick in next month's NBA draft.

But Detroit will have a better idea who might be available after tonight's NBA draft lottery, which will determine the selection order for the teams that did not make the playoffs this season.

Regardless of the lottery results, the Pistons had to cast a wide scouting net due to having four draft picks, three of which are in the second round.

"Every year, we make sure we know everybody from No. 1 (overall pick) to 60 and beyond," said George David, Detroit's director of player personnel. "But when you come into the draft and you have four picks, it only strengthens that need to know everybody."

Detroit also has the No. 36 overall pick (from Minnesota), No. 39 (from Toronto) and their own pick at No. 44.

David said the Pistons would bring in 15 to 20 players for workouts this week.

While it remains unclear what the Pistons will look for in next month's draft, there is a good chance they will select an experienced college player.

Oklahoma's Blake Griffin, the consensus National Player of the Year who is expected to be the first player selected, highlights a long list of college standouts who would have been among the top players selected had they entered last year's draft.

"With this draft," David said, "you're looking at players who are more of a finished product, what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of players, where in some more recent drafts, teams were drafting players based more on their upside and potential."

Some of the players expected to work out for Detroit before next month's draft include Arizona's Chase Budinger, North Carolina's Danny Green, Texas' Damion James, Georgia Tech's Gani Lawal, Ohio State's B.J. Mullens, Louisville's Terrence Williams and Pittsburgh's Sam Young.

The draft lottery is tonight. Not sure, but I believe its before the game. Wonder if OKC will jump up to #1 or maybe the league will give the Knicks a head start on landing James by giving them Griffin. The lottery is such a scam.

I don't believe so. It is fair to say this years draft lacks top notch talent and to say it has depth is just stupid. Every year there is similar depth. If you look at past drafts, they all have similar numbers of 2nd rounds picks becoming solid contributors with the one or two who come forth as all-stars. For comparison sakes, Blake Griffin would probably have fallen out of top 5 last year but is hands down the BPA this year.

The '09 version of Griffin would almost certainly have gone above Love. I'm guessing he would have gone 3rd, but you never know. A GM could have become enamored with him and selected him ahead of Beasley or Rose.