What: The 2009 NBA Draft

Where: The Theatre at Madison Square Garden in New York City

When: June 25, 2009

Time: 7 PM EDT

TV: ESPN

Here is the draft order. I will reorder the top 14 after they hold the draft lottery. Here are the odds for each seed to get specific picks in the 2009 lottery (rounded to 3 decimal places) from Wikipedia:

[B][U][SIZE="2"]Seed Chances 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th[/SIZE][/U][/B]
Kings 250 .250 .215 .177 .358
Wizards 178 .178 .174 .164 .347 .137
Clippers 177 .177 .173 .164 .195 .250 .040
Thunder 119 .119 .126 .132 .100 .350 .161 .013
Timberwolves 76 .076 .084 .095 .263 .385 .093 .004
Grizzlies 75 .075 .083 .094 .414 .294 .039 .001
Warriors 43 .043 .049 .058 .600 .232 .018 .000
Knicks 28 .028 .033 .039 .725 .168 .008 .000
Raptors 17 .017 .020 .024 .813 .122 .004 .000
Bucks 10 .010 .012 .014 .870 .092 .002 .000
Nets 9 .009 .011 .013 .904 .063 .001 .000
Bobcats 7 .007 .008 .010 .935 .039 .000
Pacers 6 .006 .007 .009 .960 .018
Suns 5 .005 .006 .007 .982

And the rest of the draft order:

15. Detroit
16. Chicago
17. Philadelphia
18. Minnesota (From Miami)
19. Atlanta
20. Utah
21. New Orleans
22. Dallas
23. Sacramento (From Houston)
24. Portland
25. Oklahoma City (From San Antonio)
26. Chicago (From Denver and then from Oklahoma City)
27. Memphis (From Orlando)
28. Minnesota (From Boston)
29. LA Lakers
30. Cleveland

Detroits Picks

Round 1: Pick #15

Round 2: Pick #6 (36th overall)

Round 2: Pick #9 (39th overall)

Round 2: Pick #14 (44th overall)

Here are some mock drafts. I will include the top 5 picks, and then the Pistons picks. I will try to link to video of the Pistons picks when I can. If multiple mock drafts list the same guy, I will just link the video once. These mock drafts just use the current draft order. Obviously this will change after the lottery is held.

Real GM Mock Draft 4.0

Full mock here.

1. Sacremento - PF Blake Griffin - Unlike the Oden/Durant showdown and last year's Rose/Beasley debate, Griffin has no peer at the top of this draft. He is the undisputed best player in the pool and his combination of athleticism and a very high skill level will almost immediately make him one of the NBA's best power forwards.

2. Washington - PG Ricky Rubio - Whether or not Rubio will even be in this draft has been a back and forth unknown, but it looks extremely likely that he will now stay in it. He is a transcendent point guard offensively, a very good defensive player and has a huge wealth of big game experience.

3. Clippers - PF Jordan Hill - For the 2008 draft, I really liked Hill as a selection early in the second half of the first round and he came back to Tucson for his junior season with a vastly improved skill set. He has improved his raw offensive game with more refinement and control, which matches his athleticism.

4. Oklahoma - C Hasheem Thabeet - Thabeet has undoubtedly improved his game on the offensive end, but his only difference-making contributions in the NBA will be on defense. In terms of All-Star potential, you would like a lot more out of the fourth overall pick, but he gives the Thunder exactly what they need.

5. Minnesota - SG James Harden - In recent years, there haven't been too many pure shooting guards that are more sophisticated scorers as a sophomore than James Harden.

15. Detroit - SF/PF Austin Daye - His lack of athleticism and slow physical maturity will hurt him in the NBA initially and is why he should stay at Gonzaga for his junior season, but he has all of the natural skills and instincts to become everything Jared Jeffries couldn't at the next level. He has an excellent inside/outside game, both in the post and shooting off the dribble. Youtube

35. Detroit - PG A.J. Price - Youtube

39. Detroit - SG Wesley Matthews -

45. Detroit - PF Leo Lyons -

Some possible picks at 15 IMO

Patrick Patterson 6'8" 235 20yr SF/PF from Kentucky

Tyreke Evans 6'6" 219 19yr SG from Memphis

James Johnson 6'8" 235 22yr SF/PF from Wake Forest

Gani Lawal 6'9" 233 19yr PF from Georgia Tech

Any of these guys would be immediate, significant contributors. I especially like Patterson and Lawal.

NBADraft.net Mock Draft

Full mock here.

I'm actually only going to list Piston picks from now on.

15. PG Eric Maynor VCU - Bio

36. SG Dionte Christmas - Bio

39. SG Marcus Thornton

44. SF Vladimir Dasic

NBADraft.net Mock Draft

Full mock here.

I'm actually only going to list Piston picks from now on.

15. PG Eric Maynor VCU - Bio

36. SG Dionte Christmas - Bio

39. SG Marcus Thornton

44. SF Vladimir Dasic

Not a Maynor fan..the 3 times I watched him..they easily funneled him away from the lane..and he appeared to have no jump shot..I would prefer Patty Mills..quicker, stronger better shooter, more dynamic player.

Thorton reminds me of Sam Cassell..same style same school.

I am hoping Joe gets creative and figures out how to swindle the Wizards before someone else does.

I'm hoping for either Jonny Flynn or Jrue Holiday at the 15th pick. Ideally, there would be a PF or a C there, but I don't think either DeJuan Blair or Patrick Patterson are the much different than Jason Maxiell. Holiday and Flynn are the best talent available there. And I'd personally like a true PG to come in and allow Stuckey to play the SG.

For the 2nd round I want either athletic SF or paint-clogging PF/C. Therefore, I like DaJuan Summers, Danny Green, Leo Lyons & Michael Washington in the 2nd round.

Not a Maynor fan..the 3 times I watched him..they easily funneled him away from the lane..and he appeared to have no jump shot..I would prefer Patty Mills..quicker, stronger better shooter, more dynamic player.

Thorton reminds me of Sam Cassell..same style same school.

I am hoping Joe gets creative and figures out how to swindle the Wizards before someone else does.

I admit I haven't seen Mills play, but his stats look atrocious. He has a 1.34:1 assist to turnover ratio. That is pretty awful, and that is being generous. And he doesn't even average 4 assist per game in 32 minutes per game.

Also, why do you think Mills is a better shooter than Maynor? Mills has shot 42.9% and 40.2% in his two years. While Maynor has shot 43%, 42%, 45.9%, and 46.3%. Mills shoots 32.3 and 33.8% from the three point line, while Maynor shot 20%, 39%, 39.4%, and 36.1%. Maynor pretty much outshoots him in every category.

He looks like a guy you could bring in as an undrafted free agent or at best, take him in the second round. But like I said, I am strictly going off of stats.

Is there any team in the lottery that would not take Griffin with the first pick or would consider trading the pick if they won the lottery? I would give up a boatload to get Blake Griffin. That would give us somebody to build around.

I do think Holiday will make it to #15 after workouts. He might be a good fit to pair with Stuckey though. I also like Maynor more than most of the other point guards and he would be a solid pick at fifteen. If we do draft a point guard, then I think we are committed to play Stuckey more at the two next year.

Brook Lopez?

I don't know why I said Lopez. I meant to say Blake Griffin.

I figured, but thought maybe I was missing something.

I don't think its far fetched that a team like Minnesota could pass on Griffin. Love and Jefferson provide a pretty decent tandem at PF/C already. They really need a PG pretty bad. Problem is, they would probably want Rubio so they would only be willing to trade down to #2 or else they wouldn't get Rubio.

Any chance the Pistons can package some of those seconds along with cash to move up?

They could probably package some to get into the bottom quarter of the first. Didn't the Pistons take 2 second rounders last year for the 1st? I think it was 27th or 28th.

I would like to see them target someone above them and purchase their pick. Then maybe package it with our original pick to move up more. Phoenix is a team who has sold picks in the past I believe. Problem is, they are just one slot above us, so it doesn't help much.

Any chance the Pistons can package some of those seconds along with cash to move up?

thats what Im hoping. Those 2 (2nd's) might move you into the late 1st.

Id love to see Jonny Flynn at #15. Good Leader, Emotional, Vocal, Great Vision

Im not so sure Eric Maynor gives you anything more at the point than Stuckey. Maynor see's the floor well...but he was more a scorer at VCU. I want a PURE point, Maynor does have solid size though. Something Id worry about with Flynn. Flynn is 6'0 170 with Maynor being 6'2/6'3 at 175. Obviously both will gain some weight, but those 2-3 inches are a plus.

I don't think its far fetched that a team like Minnesota could pass on Griffin. Love and Jefferson provide a pretty decent tandem at PF/C already. They really need a PG pretty bad. Problem is, they would probably want Rubio so they would only be willing to trade down to #2 or else they wouldn't get Rubio.

What if we included Stuckey or the #15 pick in the deal? There will still be some decent point guards at 15. I know we would have to include Hamilton or Prince or both in the deal as well. I would even be willing to take a bad contract back in return but Minnesota doesn't really have any of those right now. I know this is all far fetched but getting Griffin is the only way I see we get a frachise player this offseason.

What if we included Stuckey or the #15 pick in the deal? There will still be some decent point guards at 15. I know we would have to include Hamilton or Prince or both in the deal as well. I would even be willing to take a bad contract back in return but Minnesota doesn't really have any of those right now. I know this is all far fetched but getting Griffin is the only way I see we get a frachise player this offseason.

I wouldn't do it personally. The only way I pass on Griffin is if I end up with Rubio.

thats what Im hoping. Those 2 (2nd's) might move you into the late 1st.

Id love to see Jonny Flynn at #15. Good Leader, Emotional, Vocal, Great Vision

Im not so sure Eric Maynor gives you anything more at the point than Stuckey. Maynor see's the floor well...but he was more a scorer at VCU. I want a PURE point, Maynor does have solid size though. Something Id worry about with Flynn. Flynn is 6'0 170 with Maynor being 6'2/6'3 at 175. Obviously both will gain some weight, but those 2-3 inches are a plus.

I'm with you on wanting the pure PG.

For the Pistons. They are much weaker at the 4 and 5 than elsewhere.

Oh you mean if we draft a PG? Yeah, I agree we are thin at the 4/5 spots. I assume our cap space would address that a little bit.

I think we are in full blown rebuild mode now. So we are looking at multiple drafts to fix our problems. Drafting as low as 15, I would probably go with the BPA strategy.

I agree with you about the BPA, especially since seems like a weak draft. I am confident that the BPA will not be a big men at #15. Because there darth of big men in this draft, the teams that really want one will have to reach for them.

I like Flynn and if we didn't have Bynum, I would take him. But I am not sure I want another midget point guard with Bynum on the bench. If he was clearly the BPA, then I would still take him. If I had to chose between Maynor and Flynn, then it is close but I believe I would go with Maynor. Maynor is just as much of a true point guard as Flynn in my mind but has more size. Maynor is the better defender, Flynn is the best shooter. Ultimately, I would be happy with either.