Sign in to follow this  
dt35456884

Bluhm DTHOF Annual Elections - Ballot Restrictions

How many votes should be alloted for the regular spring elections?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many votes should be alloted for the regular spring elections?

• 5 votes (Continue with the current format indefinitely)
    • 4 votes
    • 4 votes in 2010, 3 votes thereafter
    • 3 votes
    • Other (explain)

This poll is meant for Blum Memorial DTHOF voters (or those who are interested in joining the project) only.

With annual elections (as opposed to 5-year elections) now in full swing, I think it is time to change the number of available votes for player candidates. In my mind it no longer makes sense to allow for five player votes in our annual regular elections; in fact, no one used all five votes in this past election.

I would like to carry on with a 3-vote limit for our spring elections starting next year, but due to popular demand I thought I would put it to a poll.

For those who participate in our Hall of Fame project, please let your feelings be known.

I went with the three-vote limit in the spring elections beginning now.

With the real possiblity of 2 or more legit HOF candidates in any given future class, to go along with a carryover class that is still fairly strong, I think it strikes the perfect balance between project integrity and project interest.

I went with the three-vote limit in the spring elections beginning now.

With the real possiblity of 2 or more legit HOF candidates in any given future class, to go along with a carryover class that is still fairly strong, I think it strikes the perfect balance between project integrity and project interest.

GFT! What I would have written if I had gotten home earlier.

3 is plenty now that things have been picked over so many times. Not a ton of meat left on these bones.

In my mind it no longer makes sense to allow for five player votes in our annual regular elections; in fact, no one used all five votes in this past election.

I think that if there had been a large percentage of voters using all five votes in this past election just because they could, then that would be a signal that maybe it's time for a change. Since nobody did, I don't think there's really anything to worry about.

I voted four votes just in case we have a year that has several good candidates. I likely will not use 4 in any elections, just don't want to limit it just in case. But I would have no problem with a 3 vote limit.

I think that if there had been a large percentage of voters using all five votes in this past election just because they could, then that would be a signal that maybe it's time for a change. Since nobody did, I don't think there's really anything to worry about.

But the problem is that in the past, there would be elections where there are 6-9 worthy players on the ballot and we only had room for five. The guys currently on the ballot don't have that kind of competition and are getting the straight up/down vote that those in the past didn't get.

But the problem is that in the past, there would be elections where there are 6-9 worthy players on the ballot and we only had room for five. The guys currently on the ballot don't have that kind of competition and are getting the straight up/down vote that those in the past didn't get.

Exactly. The need to ration votes added to the urgency of previous elections. That's gone now.

To say nobody used all five so there's no need to change; well, we might as well have unlimited votes then.

Eventual Hall of Fame players on Ballots...

1915: 1

1920: 4

1925: 5

1930: 5

1935: 2

1940: 4

1945: 6

1950: 4

1955: 7

1960: 6

1965: 7

1970: 4

1975: 7

1980: 7

1985: 4

1990: 5

1995: 5

2000: 6

2005: 4

2008: 3

2009: 0

There were several times during the five year phases where I would have voted for as many as 8-10 players, especially during that stretch from 1945-2000 when you typically had at least 1 and as many as 5 automatics in addition to several strong carryovers. I always felt that 5 was too small of a limit, but a smaller one is needed now to allow for today's players to have the same disadvantages that some that have been banished to the Veteran's Committee have had.

On another note, how is VC eligibility adjusting to the annual ballot?

One more suggestion...

As a verification that votes are being counted correctly, how possible would it be to have a public Google spreadsheet that unanimously shows the ballots. When sending out the "Thank you for voting" message, we could get a number that matches up with an entry in the spreadsheet. This would ensure our ballot is counted correctly, and using a spreadsheet formula would also be more accurate than a tally system.

I went with four votes, thinking we could try that and then move it down later if it seems necessary.

One more suggestion...

As a verification that votes are being counted correctly, how possible would it be to have a public Google spreadsheet that unanimously shows the ballots. When sending out the "Thank you for voting" message, we could get a number that matches up with an entry in the spreadsheet. This would ensure our ballot is counted correctly, and using a spreadsheet formula would also be more accurate than a tally system.

We could do a spreadsheet of some sort. We could post everyone's votes on the message board as well, if people wouldn't be opposed to it. I have no issues with people knowing who I voted for. I don't know if that's the case for others.

We could do a spreadsheet of some sort. We could post everyone's votes on the message board as well, if people wouldn't be opposed to it. I have no issues with people knowing who I voted for. I don't know if that's the case for others.

The spreadsheet idea could allow ballots to remain secret. It's up to you guys.

The spreadsheet idea could allow ballots to remain secret. It's up to you guys.

That's 100 percent true and some may like that. Some people really have never been part of the discussion too much and may want it to remain that way. Secret ballot is probably the best way to go. The people that want their selections known already do that on the message board.

To clarify, my idea is just for the vote counters to assign a random code to each person and enter them into this spreadsheet. This would just allow the person, after the tallying of the votes, to ensure that their ballot was done correctly.

Since Google Spreadsheets are fairly new, that's why I'm suggesting this now.

To clarify, my idea is just for the vote counters to assign a random code to each person and enter them into this spreadsheet. This would just allow the person, after the tallying of the votes, to ensure that their ballot was done correctly.

Since Google Spreadsheets are fairly new, that's why I'm suggesting this now.

I'm sure we can all be brought up to speed. It sounds like a good idea. The biggest issue is making sure 1) people follow the procedures and use only X number of votes on players (I think that's been an issue about twice in the history of voting) and 2) having an idea who is going to have a shot at winning near the end so the bios can be made.

If it's going to be closed balloting, I like the idea of NO ONE knowing anyone else's votes if people don't want to know them. I always try to blank slate my mind once an election is over, but even I start memorizing who votes for who. And that's not overly fair if I know something over everyone else.

I really like the idea.