boss78

Do you think Larry Foote will sign with the lions?

The Lions pick for sure. Steelers are being annoying. Just give us the guy and be done with it.

Maybe it's the Lions who are being annoying by only offering a 7th rounder when he's clearly worth more than a 7th round pick to the Lions. Just raise the offer to a 5th and be done with it.

Maybe it's the Lions who are being annoying by only offering a 7th rounder when he's clearly worth more than a 7th round pick to the Lions. Just raise the offer to a 5th and be done with it.

Agreed, why goof around with this? I know that the Lions will be horrible next year anyway but at least get Lenon off the field.

The Lions should give them a 5th for him. We have two 5th round picks next year anyway. It's not like we will draft someone better than Foote in the 5th next year.

I have a feeling that the contract amount is a bigger sticking point than whatever draft pick is offered. The Lions already talked to him at Allen Park, right? The Lions probably won't trade for him unless he will re-do his contract for a smaller amount. I know he said that he would play for a discounted rate, but his idea of a discounted rate and the Lions idea of fair value may not be a match yet.

I can't find this story on the Free Press site..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8100d006&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

According to Foote, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert told him Tuesday that the team was trying to trade him but would release him if that didn't work out. However, Colbert called reports that Foote would be traded or released "erroneous," according to mlive.com.

Foote told the Detroit Free Press that his first choice would be to play for his hometown team, the Detroit Lions. But Foote said it's unclear if the Lions want him.

Until he's released the Lions can't talk to him directly. Doing so would be tampering.

Unless they have permission from the Steelers.

Unless they have permission from the Steelers.

True, but why would the Steelers give Detroit permission to discuss a free agent contract with Foote while he's under contract with Pittsburgh? That doesn't make sense.

I think teams have been found guilty of tampering for smaller infractions that what is going on with Foote... but you never know what is happening behind the scenes. Maybe they do have permission to talk FA contract with other teams.

The Lions should give them a 5th for him. We have two 5th round picks next year anyway. It's not like we will draft someone better than Foote in the 5th next year.

Having two fifth rounders give the Lions a little bit of leverage. The Lions won't be fixed with players like Foote. They must be fixed through the draft. Also, Foote isn't all that great.

True, but why would the Steelers give Detroit permission to discuss a free agent contract with Foote while he's under contract with Pittsburgh? That doesn't make sense.

Who says it's a free agent contract? Speculation is that the Lions want Foote to sign a cheaper deal before they trade for him.

Having two fifth rounders give the Lions a little bit of leverage. The Lions won't be fixed with players like Foote. They must be fixed through the draft. Also, Foote isn't all that great.

Foote is an upgrade over nothing, which is what we have in terms of players that have played in this league at MLB. If we drafted a 5th rounder that turned out to be what Foote is at 28, it wouldn't be a bad pick either.

In terms of doing this for all of our holes, long term we'd be in allot of trouble. But a player here or there, it'll improve us and I doubt would hurt us long term.

Foote is an upgrade over nothing, which is what we have in terms of players that have played in this league at MLB. If we drafted a 5th rounder that turned out to be what Foote is at 28, it wouldn't be a bad pick either.

In terms of doing this for all of our holes, long term we'd be in allot of trouble. But a player here or there, it'll improve us and I doubt would hurt us long term.

Why trade it, when the strong odds are that the Steelers will cut him anyways? The Lions could then use their top level waiver priority if need be.

I disagree. Foote is a very solid ILB. He's only 28 so he could be a solid contributor for a number of years, filling one of the many holes on this team. It's very doubtful that a fifth round draft pick would do the same.

Why trade it, when the strong odds are that the Steelers will cut him anyways? The Lions could then use their top level waiver priority if need be.

obviously this is the best option, but what if pittsburgh calls the bluff and we have enough information to indicate we'll have to trade a 5th for him?

Why not offer a conditional pick that is based on his preformance? Thats pretty common in the NFL. If he excells then we give up a fifth, but if not its a 6th or 7th. I dont see a real harm in that.

Unless the Lions dont see a way hes worth a fifth, and if thats the case we should just offer a 6th/7th and see if Pittsburgh says deal or calls our bluff. Hes not going to get us to the playoffs but he can makes us a better team.

Really, I think if the Steelers had a better deal on the table they would of done the deal on draft day.

I'd offer them Drew Stanton. Lord knows we aren't going to do anything with him.

It's unlikely the Steelers will trade Foote. Foote is on the roster through minicamp simply so they have insurance in case a linebacker goes down with injury. He will be a Lion at the end of it.

One of the best things signing Foote would bring is changing the team's mindset. Bringing in an established veteran from a winning organization, who can still play at a high level, can be nothing but positive for the Lions. Get it done, Mayhew and Lewand.

Any news yet?

sounds like Pittsburgh is still holding out hoping he gets traded and we are holding out waiting for him to get cut

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09124/967522-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Steelers Notebook: Farrior sad to see Foote leave

Monday, May 04, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Minicamp is over, and so is the Steelers career of linebacker Larry Foote. The Steelers are likely to release Foote this week, unless they can convince some team such as Detroit to throw them a bone of a seventh-round draft choice.

"I'm sad to see him go," said linebacker James Farrior, captain of the defense and one of Foote's closest teammates. "I don't know what's going to happen with him in the future but it's probably not too likely that he's going to be here."

Farrior said he talks to Foote often and that "he wants to be a starter, he wants to be the guy.

"I don't think his opportunity has really been that way here. It's a decision he has to make. I wish him well. I hope everything works out for him. We all still love him in this locker room, and all the coaches still love him. He has to do what's best for him."

Foote has one year left on his contract that would pay him $2,885,000. Although he has not missed a start in the past five seasons, he rarely played on passing downs.

The Steelers did not ask him to take a pay cut, but Foote believed that Lawrence Timmons, entering his third season, would start in his place. He also said last week that he wanted to play where he would not come off the field on third downs.

Asked if he thought Timmons was ready to play every down, Farrior said, "He has to be ready, he doesn't really have a choice.

"But I think he's coming around, he's really learning the defenses a lot more. The coaches have done a good job teaching him what he needs to know. It's just got to be a situation with me feeling comfortable with him and us with communication on the field. We just have to go through practice with that."

Coach Mike Tomlin provided no more insight yesterday on the team's plans for Foote after the two sides mutually agreed for him to not attend the mandatory minicamp that ended yesterday.

If we lose a chance to get a player like Foote based on keeping a SEVENTH round draft pick, I'm going to be pissed. I'm all for developing through the draft but at some point you have to get some real NFL players on this team.

If we lose a chance to get a player like Foote based on keeping a SEVENTH round draft pick, I'm going to be pissed. I'm all for developing through the draft but at some point you have to get some real NFL players on this team.

This makes no sense to me. Why spend it, when he's obviously going to be released? He's obviously said he wants to play for the Lions. He might not be a good fit for the Lions. He's played in a 3-4 all his life, and only made 63 tackles last year. Why is he a better fit than Levy? I think he takes away from developing Levy.