boss78

Do you think Larry Foote will sign with the lions?

I think its a very strong possibility he'll be a Lion.

A lot of people were saying we drafted like a 3-4 team... well with Larry Foote and Deandre' Levy inside and Peterson/Sims on the outside thats a possibility.

It probably won't be a strict-anything. The Lions have a lot of flexibility on the roster and a bunch of defensive coaches who are awfully flexible too. Right now its not about determining scheme, its about giving the 2009 Lions a good chance to play respectably while increasing the level of talent.

Larry Foote will be not only a HUGE upgrade over any other MLB on the roster (including Levy) but adds another defensive leader to go with veterans like Julian Peterson, Anthony Henry and DeWayne White as guys who have won elsewhere and hopefully can bring a winning attitude here as well.

With Marinelli, it was about system, now it seems to be about talent.

2 rings in Pittsburgh, I'm sure I read something during the season where he said he'd love to come back and play in Detroit. It'd be a great move.

2 rings in Pittsburgh, I'm sure I read something during the season where he said he'd love to come back and play in Detroit. It'd be a great move.

He did say that after the super bowl. I would imagine it's his #1 choice right now.

this is the kind of fa signing they need to be doing...he might not be an everydown guy anymore, but he's still a solid first and second down guy...he's also a proven winner...and a locker room leader...two very important things that this team needs if it is going to change it's "culture"...if this can be done, this should be done...asap

He did say that after the super bowl. I would imagine it's his #1 choice right now.

He didn't say that.....one of his "close friends" said that.

His buddy started a rumor about how Foote wanted to come back & play in Detroit & end his career here, and IIRC, Foote later refuted while still being a member of the Steelers, and to some extent made an "are you crazy?" type comment, due to our stellar 0-16 record.

All that being said, I'm still hoping that not only do the Lions pursue him, but he ends up in a Lions uniform.

Foote Wants To Play For The Lions

Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 2:54 p.m.

Perhaps far bigger than the news that former Steelers linebacker Larry Foote wants to play for the Detroit Lions is that anyone wants to play for the Detroit Lions.

But, indeed, Foote wants to continue his career in the state he calls “home,” with the team everyone calls “really, really sucky.”

“Detroit is always No. 1,” Foote told the Detroit News. “I mean, my agent is talking to them about me coming home, and we’ll go from there. But no question about it, that’s my first choice.”

Foote also revealed that he had been pushing the team to cut him, and that at one point he thought he’d be traded.

“I’ve been forcing [this] the whole offseason,” Foote said. “I’ve been asking for it all offseason, asking for a trade, and I guess they finally did something. I wish they’d have done it a little earlier. Technically, I’m a free man now, but a lot of the money [in free agency] has been spent. . . .

“I don’t know what the Steelers were doing in the whole process. They kept saying they were trying to get a trade. I know they were in talks with the Lions. But I don’t know how it’s gonna work. My agent [Ken Kremer] said the Lions tried to get me, but I still don’t know how bad they want me.”

On one hand, it’s arguably a tad douchey for the Steelers to squat on Foote through the first two months of free agency and then cut him three days after picking a total of, um, zero linebackers in the draft. On the other hand, Foote’s agent could have avoided the situation by simply shifting $1 million of Foote’s $2.885 million base salary into a roster bonus due on the first day of the 2009 league year.

If the Lions aren’t interested in bringing to the franchise a guy who got two Super Bowl rings without buying either of them on eBay, then maybe the Cardinals will be inclined to consider Foote, given his connection to former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Niiice

according to PFT.com Foote has been trying all off season to get Pittsburgh to release him or trade him to the Lions. He has said multiple times that he wants to come and finish his career here. The Lions would be beyond stupid not to bring him in to play LB for us. He even said he would take a very reasonable pay rate.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/foote-wants-to-play-for-the-lions/

Sounds like Detroit and Pittsburgh played chicken on draft day and Detroit won. Now, instead of giving away draft picks, the Lions can sign him free of charge.

So happy with this news. Foote might not be the man he once was, but he's a vast improvement and makes our draft strategy really worth it since he'll fill the hole in MLB.

On one hand, it’s arguably a tad douchey for the Steelers to squat on Foote through the first two months of free agency and then cut him three days after picking a total of, um, zero linebackers in the draft.

Really...? What a quote! That was on the freep.com? Thats funny to me...

I really hope we sign this guy! Fingers crossed, knock wood etc...

Is it possible for Floria to write one "article" mentioning Detroit without being a total douchebag? Doesn't seem like it.

Cody Spencer and Chris Graham shared the middle position at the last mini camp. Foote is a upgrade over them and even over Levy. Id like to see him signed. I think they will sign either him or re-sign Lenon. I think the fact that they were almost willing to give up a pick for him tells you that theres a intrest there.

Not so fast my friends....Florio updates

Steelers Will Keep Foote For The Next Week

Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 3:07 p.m.

In his Tuesday comments to the Detroit News, linebacker Larry Foote said that the Steelers tried to trade him before deciding to cut him.

It appears that those efforts might be ongoing.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms our report (thanks, Ed — you are a true gentleman, despite that French-sounding surname), but Bouchette writes that the Steelers will keep him on the roster through the coming weekend, during which a mandatory minicamp will be held.

Our guess is that the Steelers are still hoping to get a phone call from a team that might want to trade for Foote, and that with so many minicamps coming up this weekend, the Steelers might be thinking that a market for Foote could emerge quickly if a linebacker on another team suffers a serious injury during the coming surge of non-contact (eyeroll) helmets-and-underwear practices.

It’s also safe to assume that the Steelers dangled Foote during draft weekend, and that they likewise found no takers.

They might find a taker for Foote as quickly as the Fins did last summer for defensive end Jason Taylor, when a blown Achilles’ tendon in D.C. instantly became the second-round draft pick with which the Fins finagled Pat White.

ESPN has him reported as released...

Steelers to release Foote

Comment Email Print Share

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Archive

Rumors became reality Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers informed starting inside linebacker Larry Foote that he will be released.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

It had been rumored for much of the offseason that Foote, made extraneous by the emergence of two-year veteran and former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, would either be traded or released. It is believed the Steelers attempted to trade Foote during the NFL draft last weekend.

In a strange and puzzling twist, however, team sources said that Foote will not be released until after the club's upcoming minicamp, a stance first reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Tuesday afternoon and subsequently confirmed by ESPN.com. Yet Foote continues to believe he has been released already and is now a free agent. It is not certain, sources close to Foote said, if the linebacker will attend the minicamp, should the Steelers not officially release him until next week.

A player is not technically released until his name appears on the league's internal transactions report, which is issued daily.

He seems to be a good "fit" for the Lions. He's a quality experienced NFL player that isn't in his 30-somethings as of yet. My guess is he'd be a good character guy that could help build the defense the next year or so. He's not a true answer to youthful talent, but he's certainly more of a bridge than others we have gotten this off-season in terms of his age. So while he's here, you can work someone into his position.

It seems to me this is a move I could embrace. And suddenly, you have a decent linebacking group - certainly something you can work with for the season.

Isn't it tampering if his agent has been talking to other teams, such as Detroit, if he hasn't been officially released? From Foote's quotes, it seems as though he's already in discussions with the Lions...

Or maybe they gave him permission to seek a trade, but that's not what it sounds like from Foote's comments.

He seems to be a good "fit" for the Lions. He's a quality experienced NFL player that isn't in his 30-somethings as of yet. My guess is he'd be a good character guy that could help build the defense the next year or so. He's not a true answer to youthful talent, but he's certainly more of a bridge than others we have gotten this off-season in terms of his age. So while he's here, you can work someone into his position.

It seems to me this is a move I could embrace. And suddenly, you have a decent linebacking group - certainly something you can work with for the season.

According to 97.1.... Foote's Agent is in Allen Park talking to the Lions today. No update on how the talks are going...