Motor City Sonics

Its Wings Vs. Ducks......

The Game 3 and Game 4 starting times allow for TV doubleheaders following Chicago-Vancouver. Even if it wasn't for that, I'm sure Ducks ticket-holders would have been as upset by an early start time as Canuck fans are about Thursday night's 6pm local time start to the Chicago series in Vancouver.

I'm sure it wouldn't be great for the 20,000 Ducks ticket holders, but what about the millions of Red Wings fans on the East Coast who want to follow their team?

As for the TV situation. I'm sure they could work out something creatively out with a 9:00 start time. They would lose some viewership with the overlap, but asking your fanbase on the east coast to tune in past 1:00 in the morning isn't a great solution either.

Quick Rant: Games 3 & 4 are 10:30 starts. Thanks a lot NHL!

I'm sure they considered for about 2 seconds how inconvienient this is for Red Wings fans, the majority of whom will be up past 1:00 in the morning if they want to follow their team.

I don't know why the Wings and their fans are constantly **** on by the league. Maybe it's because they take us for granted that we'll always be here.

Sorry, the NHL just isn't going to start an NHL game at 6. No matter what timezone one of the teams is from.

It would be the same if it were Vancouver.

Can you imagine the reverse? A 6:00 Detroit start time. It would be 3:00 in California, and draw absolutely zero viewership there.

Sorry, the NHL just isn't going to start an NHL game at 6. No matter what timezone one of the teams is from.

Game 1 tomorrow night in Vancouver starts at 6pm Vancouver time. Fans here aren't happy. Although the city is in a festive mood and the work day ends earlier here anyways, so 6pm on a weeknight is doable for most - not easily though, unless you're an office worker just walking over from the business district. People from the suburbs are inconvenienced and at the very least will miss the pre-game warmups and related activity that you like to experience when you're paying $200 per ticket.

Game 1 tomorrow night in Vancouver starts at 6pm Vancouver time. Fans here aren't happy. Although the city is in a festive mood and the work day ends earlier here anyways, so 6pm on a weeknight is doable for most - not easily though, unless you're an office worker just walking over from the business district. People from the suburbs are inconvenienced and at the very least will miss the pre-game warmups and related activity that you like to experience when you're paying $200 per ticket.

And they have every right to be pissed.

It would be the same if it were Vancouver.

Can you imagine the reverse? A 6:00 Detroit start time. It would be 3:00 in California, and draw absolutely zero viewership there.

Why not start games at 6:00 or 6:30? It's not like that precludes the fans from watching or going to the game. Games start all the time at 7:00 on the east coast. This is not the impossible concept it's being made out to be.

I would agree with you that a 6:00 (EST) start time would be ridiculous for the same reasons I'm arguing a 10:30 (EST) start time is ridiculous; it's unfair for the other fan base.

In other words, east coast and midwest hockey fans are more important than Cali hockey fans.

Nope: Not what I'm saying at all.

My point is the NHL needs to factor in start times for both set of fan bases. 7:00 (EST) start times aren't fair either. In situations where an East Coast and West Coast team are facing each other, the best way to handle this is to have the games (all of them) in the 9:00 to 9:30 slot.

I believe this is exactly what they did in the Calgary/Chicago series.

Nope: Not what I'm saying at all.

My point is the NHL needs to factor in start times for both set of fan bases. 7:00 (EST) start times aren't fair either. In situations where an East Coast and West Coast team are facing each other, the best way to handle this is to have the games (all of them) in the 9:00 to 9:30 slot.

I believe this is exactly what they did in the Calgary/Chicago series.

Glad you acknowledged the difficulty of 7pm ET starting times as well.

I think Calgary and Chicago was easier to manage because one team is in the Mountain time zone and the other was in the Central, so not the extremes that a Pacific vs Eastern timezone matchup is.

In other words, east coast and midwest hockey fans are more important than Cali hockey fans.

nope, but they are far more of them. Over half the NHL teams play in the eastern time zone.

I think if the NHL isn't willing to move the Red Wings to the Eastern Conference, the only other logical option would be for during playoff time to have Michigan switch to the Mountain or Pacific time zones.

The pre-series talk in the media is unfolding nicely, with Canadian outlets at least split or in Anaheim's favor. Good. Just like how many picked Colorado last year.

Man, I can't see Vancouver or Chicago playing at the level Anaheim played against San Jose. Hope the Ducks will feel a letdown and then Homer & Mule & Cleary can crash the net and introduce Hiller to real playoff hockey.

After tonight, I am worried about the Hawks. They have impressed me whether I like it or not. It seems they are playing even better than they did in the Calgary series. I think Chicago is going to embrace playing Detroit or Anaheim, and they know they can beat either of them.

I'm just hoping for a Wings Vs. Blackhawks Western Conference Finals.

I'd love to see a new revamped rivalry with the Blackhawks, like we had with Colorado back in the day. Plus, with Chicago being in our division, I think it would make it that much better.

That series is going to be very good if that materializes, and it's going to be ugly with the brawls and all coming up from both sides. That series is going to be on.

I'm just hoping for a Wings Vs. Blackhawks Western Conference Finals.

I'd love to see a new revamped rivalry with the Blackhawks, like we had with Colorado back in the day. Plus, with Chicago being in our division, I think it would make it that much better.

I agree, I think both teams have a great quality of talent and are very good all around, I think a renewed rivalry with Detroit would be the bee's knee's. This season the Blackhawks finished 8 points behind the Wings (which is similar to being 4 games back in baseball IMO) you have to think had the Blackhawks not had been injured back in February and parts of March that the division title could of gone down to the last two games, which I'm sure with the Central title on the line, the two games outcome could of been very diffrent, but hey, 1 win away from the WCF, I'm not complaining where the Hawks finished in the regular season.