Can anyone here with ESPN Insider confirm they are reporting Dallas is trading Josh Howard to the Wizards for the #5 pick?

Obviously Washington would have to send back some salary if true.

That is a rumor being discussed but it is not a done deal at all. The headline makes it sound like it's already been done. I hate when they do that.

Josh Howard to the Wizards, hrm, are they going to dump Butler then? Can we somehow get him for Hamilton and change?

That is a rumor being discussed but it is not a done deal at all. The headline makes it sound like it's already been done. I hate when they do that.

OK, thanks for the info.

I have said a few times I wouldn't mind trading up for the #5 pick. But I think after looking at the weak draft, I would agree with DrWho and prefer Butler over anything at #5.

Chances are they would just play Howard at the SG position and be big. Arenas, Howard, Butler, Jamison. Every one of those guys can go for 30 on any night. Problem is, every one of them could also give up 40 any night. Well, Howard isn't terrible on D, but I think he would be at the 2.

Edited by Deleterious

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bobcats Will Give Felton Qualifying Offer, Unlikely To May

Bobcats Will Give Felton Qualifying Offer, Unlikely To May

Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said Wednesday it's a foregone conclusion Raymond Felton will receive a qualifying offer (about $5.5 million for next season) from the club.

Higgins said the team is still deciding whether to tender a qualifier to Sean May ($3.6 million-plus).

If the Bobcats don't offer May that qualifier, he'd become an unrestricted free agent in July.

BULLS: Sam Smith: Armed with two first round picks, Bulls go to work

Okafor could be on the move. Bold is mine.

... Larry Brown told the Charlotte Observer last week he was concerned about a possible ownership change with the team apparently for sale. Michael Jordan, of course, is mentioned prominently. But franchise sales in this market are difficult, and rather than continuing to take losses, some executives believe Charlotte will follow the Memphis model and "gift" someone Emeka Okofor because of his big contract and maintain a payroll that can break even until a buyer is found. ...

As usual, I think other teams could offer better packages for him. Unless Charlotte only wants cap relief.

That is all Memphis wanted. But Okafor, for all of his pluses, is significantly overpaid.

Which should mean we could get him for less, but you never know.

I think if Okafor actually goes on the block, Detroit has little to no chance of getting him.

Someone like Oklahoma would step up, as they need a big just as bad as we do. And they could give Charlotte the same cap space as us, plus the #3 pick. Plus they have the cap space to take on Okafor without sending any players back, just like Detroit does.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090614#STORY_19536

Chris Bosh, Miami Interested in 2010 Trade?

The Heat's interest in Chris Bosh apparently is mutual. A friend of the Toronto power forward said Bosh has interest in playing for Miami, which would love to add him via trade this summer or free agency in 2010.

Bosh assuredly will dismiss any report linking him to another team because he doesn't want to upset the Raptors and doesn't need to decide his future for 13 months. But the friend said playing in Miami appeals to him.

With Bosh announcing he will test free agency in 2010, a competing executive who spoke to Raptors president Bryan Colangelo said Toronto appears open to considering offers for Bosh and likely would consider a package that includes Michael Beasley -- if the Heat overcomes reluctance to trade Beasley.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Friend: Bosh Has Interest In Miami

Friend: Bosh Has Interest In Miami

A friend of Chris Bosh says that the forward has interest in playing for the Heat.

Miami is known to have interest in Bosh, who is expected to test free agency in the summer of 2010.

A competing executive who spoke to president Bryan Colangelo claims that Toronto appears open to considering offers for Bosh, according to the Miami Herald.

Newspapers are making huge mistakes by hiring journalists to cover teams. They should hire this friend guy. He knows everything about everyone.

From an article talking about where Ariza and Odom might end up.

NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers could end up choosing between re-signing Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza - ESPN

A team with more options available than the midlevel is the Detroit Pistons, who will have approximately $18 million in salary cap room. One free agent supposedly being targeted by the Pistons is Chicago Bulls guard Ben Gordon, a scenario that would make even more sense if the rumors about their interest in trading Richard Hamilton are true. The Pistons have won with an unconventional power forward in Rasheed Wallace, so they might be agreeable to trying Odom at the 4 spot.

From an article talking about Hedo Turkoglu's free agent options this summer.

Orlando Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu has many free-agency options - ESPN

Signing with Detroit, or going to the Pistons in a sign-and-trade

Detroit has Allen Iverson ($21.9 million) and Rasheed Wallace ($13.7) coming off the cap, and would like to get as far as $23 million under the cap, which would give the Pistons the ability to acquire two high-level free agents. Impacting their financial equation will be Kwame Brown's decision this month on whether to pick up his player option of $4.1 million for next season, and Joe Dumars' efforts to move Amir Johnson's expiring $3.6 million deal without taking back an equal contract in return.

If the Pistons find themselves stuck with both of those players, their best option to make a pair of impact acquisitions would probably involve moving Tayshaun Prince (owed $21.5 million over the next two seasons) as part of a sign-and-trade deal for an unrestricted free agent, whether it is Turkoglu, Carlos Boozer, Lamar Odom or someone else.

Gortat's free agency

ORLANDO, Fla. -- His nickname is "The Polish Hammer," which is fitting, because Marcin Gortat is expected to nail down a fairly hefty deal this summer when he becomes a restricted free agent.

When the NBA Finals conclude, the Magic need to worry about retaining not only starting small forward Hedo Turkoglu but also Gortat, who has emerged as a better-than-serviceable backup center to Dwight Howard. In his biggest test, Gortat racked up 11 points and 15 rebounds in place of the suspended Howard when the Magic closed out the Philadelphia 76ers in the first round of the playoffs.

League sources say one or more teams will likely be willing to give Gortat a multiyear offer sheet for at least the midlevel exception, which was $5.6 million per season in 2008-09.

An NBA truism -- which has always bothered players at other positions -- is that centers tend to get overpaid. For evidence, see three centers who signed long-term contracts that run through 2010-11: Erick Dampier, still owed a total of $25.2 million by Dallas; Samuel Dalembert, owed $25 million by the 76ers; and Eddy Curry, owed $21.7 by the Knicks.

Though the 25-year-old Gortat's inability to shoot from outside will limit his market value, two factors work in his favor: his work ethic and his recent development. And that might just be enough to garner an offer that Orlando will be unwilling to match, perhaps from a contender like San Antonio.

From an article talking about Hedo Turkoglu's free agent options this summer.

If the Magic can't afford Turkoglu, does a sign and trade of Tayshaun for Turkoglu work? The Pistons would upgrade at the small foward position while the Magic wouldn't be left empty handed with Hedo signing elsewhere.

If the Magic can't afford Turkoglu, does a sign and trade of Tayshaun for Turkoglu work? The Pistons would upgrade at the small foward position while the Magic wouldn't be left empty handed with Hedo signing elsewhere.

I'm not sure a sign and trade saves Orlando any money. Prince is making $10 and $11 million the next two years. I can't see Turkoglu making a lot more than that.

I'm not sure a sign and trade saves Orlando any money. Prince is making $10 and $11 million the next two years. I can't see Turkoglu making a lot more than that.

From the Chris Sheridan ESPN article:

Staying in Orlando

How much space can the Magic clear and what do they consider a reasonable price for Turkoglu? Anything too far north of a $10 million starting salary might tilt the scales toward unreasonable for their situation. Furthermore, what remains to be seen is whether Turkoglu would stay in Orlando at a price below market value.

Before the playoffs, I would have considered Turkoglu lucky to get much more than 10 million. Now, I am not so sure. He has been the driving force for Orlando offensively in the playoffs and proved he can be a creator as well as a scorer. It is kind of ironic that Orlando's run to the finals may also cost them Turkoglu this summer.

Turkoglu is 30 years old so I am not sure he is the best fit for the Pistons at this point, unless Dumars is planning on contending next season. If I were Dumars, I would be looking at Ariza as a better fit. He is only 23 years, showed a lot of improvement with his shot this year, and I love the effort he has put in on the defensive end in the playoffs for the Lakers. He could be a defensive stopper for years to come with his athleticism. His upside is higher than Prince's IMO and he would be cheaper than Turkoglu.

From the Chris Sheridan ESPN article:

Staying in Orlando

How much space can the Magic clear and what do they consider a reasonable price for Turkoglu? Anything too far north of a $10 million starting salary might tilt the scales toward unreasonable for their situation. Furthermore, what remains to be seen is whether Turkoglu would stay in Orlando at a price below market value.

Before the playoffs, I would have considered Turkoglu lucky to get much more than 10 million. Now, I am not so sure. He has been the driving force for Orlando offensively in the playoffs and proved he can be a creator as well as a scorer. It is kind of ironic that Orlando's run to the finals may also cost them Turkoglu this summer.

Turkoglu is 30 years old so I am not sure he is the best fit for the Pistons at this point, unless Dumars is planning on contending next season. If I were Dumars, I would be looking at Ariza as a better fit. He is only 23 years, showed a lot of improvement with his shot this year, and I love the effort he has put in on the defensive end in the playoffs for the Lakers. He could be a defensive stopper for years to come with his athleticism. His upside is higher than Prince's IMO and he would be cheaper than Turkoglu.

I think $10 million is probably a fair number. Especially if the cap drops as expected. Magic management has come out in the past day or two saying they have no problem going over the luxury tax to keep Turkoglu. If that is a show or not, who knows.

I'm with you on Ariza. Would love to have him, but I look at him like I do Milsap in Utah. You will have to really over pay him to keep LA from matching your offer. Although with Bynum always hurt and not really playing all that great, maybe they think its more important to keep Odom.

It's going to be a fun summer.

I think $10 million is probably a fair number. Especially if the cap drops as expected. Magic management has come out in the past day or two saying they have no problem going over the luxury tax to keep Turkoglu. If that is a show or not, who knows.

I'm with you on Ariza. Would love to have him, but I look at him like I do Milsap in Utah. You will have to really over pay him to keep LA from matching your offer. Although with Bynum always hurt and not really playing all that great, maybe they think its more important to keep Odom.

It's going to be a fun summer.

Hoopsworld puts the Lakers guaranteed money next year at about 62 million.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9168

I am not sure what the expected cap next year will be but I have to imagine the Lakers are at it right now. So if they are going to sign a player without paying the tax, they will have to use the Mid level exception. I can't imagine Odom being back there next year. My guess is the Lakers will do everything in their power to keep Ariza but if the Pistons offered something like a 35 million, 5 year deal, that might be too much for the Lakers to match. I would even be willing to go up to 8 million a year for Ariza.

The situation with Utah is a little different. So much depends on what Boozer and Okur decide. I will say right now I think Boozer is going to end up deciding he is better off not opting out of his contract. Okur most likely will opt out no matter what. If Boozer stays, they will not be able to keep Millsap. If Boozer does opt out, then it is going to be very hard to steal Millsap away from them.

Hoopsworld puts the Lakers guaranteed money next year at about 62 million.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9168

I am not sure what the expected cap next year will be but I have to imagine the Lakers are at it right now. So if they are going to sign a player without paying the tax, they will have to use the Mid level exception. I can't imagine Odom being back there next year. My guess is the Lakers will do everything in their power to keep Ariza but if the Pistons offered something like a 35 million, 5 year deal, that might be too much for the Lakers to match. I would even be willing to go up to 8 million a year for Ariza.

The situation with Utah is a little different. So much depends on what Boozer and Okur decide. I will say right now I think Boozer is going to end up deciding he is better off not opting out of his contract. Okur most likely will opt out no matter what. If Boozer stays, they will not be able to keep Millsap. If Boozer does opt out, then it is going to be very hard to steal Millsap away from them.

That hoopsworld chart is a little off. They are not including Bynums extension, and its huge. He is set to make $12 million next year. But Adam Morisson has a team option (Which I am positive the Lakers wont pick up) so you can take off his $5 million. Leaving them at around $70-$71 million. And that is before they sign Ariza or Odom.

Say both get $8 million a year deals. Thats actually $32 million because they are over the luxury tax. Thats a payroll of over $100 million, and you still have spots on the roster to fill. The Lakers are a cash cow, but thats a ton even for them.

Now, Kobe has a lot of say in this. If he opts out of his $23 million deal and signs again for $15 million a year, that gives them some money to play with. That is a huge paycut to take just to keep a winning team together.

My take on Utah is a bit different then yours. I'm almost positive Boozer will opt out. One of the biggest knocks on him is durability. If he doesn't opt out and spends another half a season on the IR, he will never get a long term contract the following year. So he will opt out and probably even sign for less then he is set to make next year. But the tradeoff is, he will have a long term 5 year deal.

If Boozer doesn't opt out, I think Utah signs Milsap anyway and just bites the bullet and pays the tax for a year. Easy to say I guess when its not my money.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090615#STORY_19553

Lakers to Re-sign Both Odom, Ariza?

All the key guys will be back next season. Mark it down. Winning will make it happen.

Whenever the Lakers win this 2009 title – Game 5, 6 or 7, take your choice -- they will go into the summer prepared to start talking about a repeat.

Free agency doesn't scare them. Not when you're one of the richest franchises in the league, determined to keep this title run going. Not when they saw what happened to the Celtics, who let role-playing James Posey leave in free agency after they won a championship, only to regret his absence all season.

Forwards Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza are both free agents, but neither is expected to command huge money, actually costing the Lakers no more combined next year than they did this year.

Despite some speculation to the contrary, the Lakers are not looking at an either/or signing.

"I don't think that's the case at all,'' said Jackson. "That's not set in stone, that there will have to be a decision made between those two. Players will have decisions to make in free agency.''

Odom, the highest-paid sixth man in the league at $12 million, already has said he expects to take a significant pay cut to get a new multi-year deal. Ariza, who made just $3.1 million this season, may reach the $5.8 million mid-level range. Ariza essentially will get what they take away from Odom, and everyone will be happy.

I wouldn't mind offering Ariza some cash to pull him away from LA. He's young, can shoot the 3, play defense, and will only get better. Plus, anything that hurts LA makes me smile.

Daily Dime: Ariza vs. Turkoglu - NBA - ESPN

And that adds another interesting wrinkle as we head into the offseason. Turkoglu is going to opt out of his contract in the summer and there are mutterings that the Pistons are ready to offer him a big deal to come there.

But after watching tonight, isn't it fair to ask if Joe Dumars -- or any other team with cap money -- might be better off pursuing the 23-year-old Ariza rather than the 30-year-old Turkoglu? In addition to being seven years younger, Ariza had the better PER this season and is the better defender, so the lure of Turkoglu may be based more on reputation than reality.

Is Joe really interested in Turkoglu? I don't really see him as an impact player. I understand getting Ariza would be more difficult, but I would much rather take my shot at him.

Is Joe really interested in Turkoglu? I don't really see him as an impact player. I understand getting Ariza would be more difficult, but I would much rather take my shot at him.

I'm with you on Ariza. But, just to say a few words about Hedo - he was pretty amazing in the playoffs this year. He can really create offense, knock down the outside shot, and finish. His offensive game is solid. The problem is that he's 30, his defense is average at best, and he'll cost you a lot more than Ariza. Oh, and you'll have to trade Tay because Hedo can only play the SF.

The only way I'd go after Hedo is if I've already made the trade to move Tay in a deal for a big man. If we come out of this off-season having spent all our money on positions we already have (SG, SF) and don't trade the existing guys for bigs, we've failed. We can't walk into the season with Rip, Gordon, Tay, Hedo, and no front line.

I guess what I'm saying is, priority #1: Fix the PF/C position. You've got 20+ Mil in cap as well as trade options (Rip, Tay, Stuckey, Amir) to get that done. Once the frontline is solidified, it'll be much easier to plug in some perimeter guys.

RealGM: Agent: Turkoglu Will Opt Out

Hedo Turkoglu will opt out of his contract to become a free agent.

"It would make sense for him to opt out," Lon Babby, Turkoglu's agent said by phone. "I can't imagine a scenario in which he would not."

The Magic have wanted to avoid paying the punitive luxury tax, but team president Bob Vander Weide said recently that the club could change that stance to accommodate Turkoglu.