http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59408/20090527/surgeries_successful_for_chandler_posey/

Surgeries Successful For Chandler, Posey

The Hornets say that center Tyson Chandler and forward James Posey have both had successful surgeries, according to the Associated Press.

Chandler had a procedure on his left ankle to relieve inflammation and another on his left toe, while Posey's surgery was on his right knee.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090528/SPORTS03/905280488/1051/rss16

Walter Herrmann might leave the NBA

Free agent forward Walter Herrmann may return to Spain, according to a French-language Web site. The report said that the club Pamesa Valencia is rebuilding after losing three key players and that club president Manuel Llorente wants to bring Herrmann back.

Herrmann played four seasons in Spain after beginning his career in his native Argentina. The Pistons traded for Herrmann in December 2007 in a deal with Charlotte that helped clear the contract of center Nazr Mohammed, who had fallen into a limited role.

The Pistons hoped Herrmann could back up the forward spots, use his athleticism to break teams down, push the pace and make things happen.

At times he did, but he was inconsistent. Reports from the end of the season said the team was unlikely to bring him back. His scoring average was below four points in each of his two seasons with the Pistons.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59423/20090528/colangelo_to_meet_with_boshs_agent/

Colangelo To Meet With Bosh's Agent

Bryan Colangelo is scheduled to meet with a half-dozen agents, among them Henry Thomas, who represents Chris Bosh and Anthony Parker.

Bosh is eligible for a contract extension this summer and free agency next summer, and Parker is a free agent this summer.

Acording to Colangelo, all of the meetings will be preliminary.

“I think more emphasis has been put on us meeting than is necessary. I’m meeting with Henry, but Henry also represents Anthony Parker, and I’m meeting with five or six other agents. It’s very routine. It’s not like I’m going to be coming out of the weekend with plans to trade [bosh] or start drawing up an agreement for a contract extension. It’s early in the process.”

Bosh will be in Toronto next week. His website promises a “big announcement” on Monday.

This is more for 2010, but still interesting. I'm sure in the next few days I will posting an article where he apologizes to the fans of Phoenix and tells us how much he loves playing for them.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59456/20090529/amare_lobbying_for_knicks_gig_in_2010/

Amare Lobbying For Knicks Gig In 2010

Amare Stoudemire was on ESPN Radio in New York on Friday and lobbied for the Knicks to sign him instead of Chris Bosh. Stoudemire expressed a desire to play for Mike D'Antoni in 2010.

"No doubt about it, I'm better than Chris Bosh," said Stoudemire when posted with the question.

"How serious will you consider the Knicks in 2010," asked Brandon Tierney.

"I will be totally serious about that, I spent a lot of my childhood there, I have a connection with the state, and I also love the entire coaching staff."

"I think Coach D'Antoni's doing a phenomenal job with the Knicks, NY's a great city, I follow them closely."

Boozer says he's going to be a Piston or Net.

Apparently, rising free agent-of-choice Carlos Boozer is telling confidants he's either going to Detroit or New Jersey -- only way the capsized Nets pull that off is by doing a sign-and-trade. Word has it Jersey will have but three assistants next season and all must take pay cuts.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05312009/sports/moresports/gasol_is_getting_it_done_without_the_sho_171846.htm?page=2

Bosh on the block, possibly to the Pistons. Bosh for capspace, yea that's going to happen.

Although Carlos Boozer could be headed to Detroit in a free-agent deal in July, there's a chance he'll end up going to Toronto in a package for Chris Bosh. The Bulls remain interested in Bosh, but Luol Deng would have to be part of a package going to the Raptors. The Raptors, privately, are acknowledging for the first time that they might need to trade Bosh, rather than risk losing him to free agency in 2010.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2009/05/30/2009-05-30_these_lakers_ready_for_knockout.html

I know this doesn't involve this year, but oh well.

Why isn't Carmelo a FA in 2010? He was drafted along with Bosh, Wade, James, etc. Yet, he is a FA in 2011. Did the Nuggets wait 3 years after drafting him to extend him or what?

I know this doesn't involve this year, but oh well.

Why isn't Carmelo a FA in 2010? He was drafted along with Bosh, Wade, James, etc. Yet, he is a FA in 2011. Did the Nuggets wait 3 years after drafting him to extend him or what?

IIRC Carmelo signed for a year longer than the rest of them.

EDIT: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/13834818/

Please, please, please be a Net.

I will take him in Detroit but it better be for something like a 30 million, 4 year deal. And that is not happening.

I can't imagine Dumars would be dumb enough to sign this guy to big, long-term deal.

Del it's Peter Vescey, he's the Rob Parker of New York.

he had the Sheed deal before anyone else did.

Del it's Peter Vescey, he's the Rob Parker of New York.

Oh I didn't see that it was him. That definitely makes me feel better.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59510/20090601/varejao_will_opt_out/

Varejao Will Opt Out

A league source said on Sunday that Anderson Varejao intends to opt out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Varejao had a tempestuous negotiation with the Cavaliers as a restricted free agent, but they will also be able to go over the salary cap to keep him.

Yeah, I would like to get him as well. Cleveland is in a position where they almost have to match any offer for him. So it's unlikely we could get him. But we sure could Jon Koncak him.

Would love to get Varejao.
Yeah, I would like to get him as well.... Cleveland is in a position where they almost have to match any offer for him. So it's unlikely we could get him. But we sure could Jon Koncak him.

Count me in, too.

I would rather pay more and get Millsap than sign Varejao.

I'm with you on that. I'm not that high on Anderson for the Pistons.

I have said before I like Anderson and would love him in Detroit. I still would be excited if we signed him but I can see why he might not be a good fit for this team. We are not really a contender and he is not a young player by any means. Also, we still have Amir and Maxiell under contract, both high energy guys who serve similar roles as Anderson but just don't do it as well.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59526/20090602/bookies_still_think_lebron_will_remain_in_cleveland/

Bookies Still Think LeBron Will Remain In Cleveland

A sports gambling website is offering odds on which team LeBron James will play for to begin the 2010-11 season. The Cleveland Cavaliers remain the favorites with 1/1 odds, while the Knicks are listed at 2/1.

The Nets and Pistons trail those two clubs, with odds of 7/2 and 11/2 respectively.

I read a few weeks ago, a max contract free agent that leaves his team will lose $31 million over the life of his new contract. Teams signing their own free agents can offer an extra year on the contract and offer a bigger base salary (Or maybe it was bigger raise percentages). Long story short, its easy to see why a lot of max deal guys dont switch teams often. Or if they do, its via a sign and trade.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-2nd-3241

Detroit, Oklahoma City Talking Trade?

With the Detroit Pistons looking to get as far under the salary cap as they can this summer, and the Oklahoma City Thunder being one of the few teams who are able to help them shed salary, the two teams have emerged as natural trade partners, multiple NBA sources told DraftExpress this past weekend.

With very few teams projected to have cap space this summer (Oklahoma City, Memphis, Portland, Sacramento and Atlanta being the main ones), it appears that Detroit could be in great position to take advantage of the strength of this free agent class and nab a couple of pieces that would put them right back in the mix to compete for the Eastern conference finals. Detroit is currently slated to be around 20 million dollars underneath the cap, but could shed another five million or so by unloading the contracts of Amir Johnson and their first round pick (#15).

Enter the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are reportedly high on B.J. Mullens (as is Milwaukee), and likely would be able to nab him with the 15th pick. Considering how far under the cap they’ll be this summer, they would have no problem taking on Amir Johnson’s expiring 3.66 million dollar contract. They should be able to find a suitor for their late first round pick if they choose to do so, as teams like San Antonio, Houston, Toronto and Orlando are all in the market for a draft choice in that range.

With the money Detroit frees up, they could go after their top two free agent targets, rumored to be Paul Millsap and Ben Gordon.

Would Joe really sign Gordon if Rip was still here?

That's what I don't get D, I think Rip has to go if we are going after Gordon, or else we definitely don't take a pg at 15. (which if we trade the 15th is moot anyhow) If Joe wants Gordon, I see Rip traded which frees up the $ so the 15th doesn't need to be moved anyhow.

I wouldn't be against a trade with the OC Thunder. I think this would be the perfect year to move out of the 1st Round. There's a lot of guys there with equal talent levels, imo. Saw this linked on the new MTS Home Page.

Link

Report: Carlos Boozer going to either Pistons or Nets

POSTED BY KIRKLAND CRAWFORD • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • May 31, 2009

New York Post columnist Peter Vescey reports that Jazz forward Carlos Boozer is telling people he has his free-agent destination narrowed down to two teams.

Advertisement

"Apparently, rising free agent-of-choice Carlos Boozer is telling confidants he's either going to Detroit or New Jersey -- only way the capsized Nets pull that off is by doing a sign-and-trade," Vescey wrote in today's Post.

Boozer could opt out of this deal with the Jazz, due to pay him more than $12 million next season.

This past season, Boozer averaged 16.2 points and 10.4 rebounds in only 37 games because of a left knee injury.

The Thunder seem to be after a SG, maybe we can send them over Rip...just not sure what we'd get in return. Neither Collison nor Kristic really do it for me.

I like Milsap, but I guess I don't get signing both Milsap and Gordon. Are we trying to become the "All Undersized Team"? Who's playing Center for us next year? Stuckey + Gordon is a tiny backcourt, and Gordon's defense is horrible. Milsap is a solid player, but he's undersized at the PF and I don't see us having any cap left to find a Center if we sign those two. I guess if we traded Rip for a Center, but what takers do we have on that kind of offer?

The other issue is that Gordon does everything Stuckey does, but better and Milsap does everything Max does, but better. Basically we'd be going after the guys that we thought our players would become. If that's the case, then we need to move Stuckey and Max, who are the "light" version of the Gordon and Milsap, in order to fill other positions of need (Center, PG) instead of having redundancy.

Have we forgotten about Lee? Rebounding is a huge issue for this team and the guy is a board machine.

Trying to put myself in Joe's shoes, this is a tough off-season. There are just a ton of options between trade and FA considering the cap space we have, and there are just as many ways to mess this up. If I was Joe, one route I might try is this:

Step 1: Address the Center position. My answer is to get on the phone and move Rip + Filler (Max, Amir, pick) to get this done. I know you guys hate it, but I wouldn't mind going after Dalembert - the salaries match, he's a legite 7 footer that has averaged 9 rebounds, 2 blocks per game, and played all 82 games over the past 3 years. Another option is Chandler. My issue with him is whether or not he's a product of Chris Paul and if he can stay healthy for more than 1 week at a time. A third option is talking to the Clippers to get Kaman. Any of these 3 options (or others that I haven't thought of) solves your rebounding Center problem and then you can move on to your skill positions...

Step 2: Sign a PF who can score. This team's biggest problem has been the front line ever since Ben left and Sheed quit playing. With a Center signed, we now turn our attention to a PF using our cap money. Joe might go after Boozer, but there's also Milsap or Okur (funny that all the options are from Utah). The question is whether Milsap is a "go to" scorer or a hustle scorer. I think the latter is true though he could continue to develop, but this won't be a problem if you nabbed Kaman in step 1 because he can score as well. If not, maybe Boozer is the way to go depending on what he'll sign for, and if Kander approves it.

Step 3: Figure out the guard position. Is Stuckey the PG? If not, maybe that's where you need to go. If so, then you need a SG. I really think this team needs to be able to stretch the defense. The lack of 3 point shooting killed us last year because opponents could just settle back or play zone. You guys probably won't like this either, but I might choose to throw a little money (not a huge contract, because he's 31) at Bibby. The guy is a very good PG and he can really stretch the defense with the 3 ball. He's not a youngster - though he's still 2 years younger than Billups - but has a good 4 years left in him due to the type of game he plays. Then use the draft to get a young PG to bring up behind him. Another option is to go after Gordon and use stuckey as a combo-guard with Bynum in relief to cover the point. It seems like no matter where you go, you're left with an undersized backcourt that isn't that great defensively. Even more reason why we needed to fix the frontcourt issue first, or maybe even trade Stuckey while his stock is high (*ducks*).

There are a million other scenarios like this and everything gets tossed on its head if Bosh is actually available, because you absolutely have to go after him. We just have to figure out the PF/C position first, rather than making Gordon our top priority. You just don't win in this league without controlling the paint and the glass no matter how many flashy guards you have - Lebron, Wade, Mello, and others are sitting in their recliners right now thinking the same thing.

OK, sorry for thinking out loud so much.