The stigma..it not the USA..they suck..

probably why Colangelo is just signing foreign players....They'll trade Bosh and sign Gortec (sp?), draft Ricky Rubio and be the first team without an American on the team before too long

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12677

Chris Bosh: There has been a lot of speculation about how Bryan would handle Chris Bosh and his pending free agency next summer. Colangelo was very honest about the situation saying he and Bosh have had a great dialogue all season, and that both parties are interested in seeing what the 2009-2010 season will be, considering how strongly they finished the 2008-2009 season. The notion that Bryan was going to issue a "take it or leave it" extension to Bosh couldn't be further from the truth. Bryan was clear that he would sit with Chris and his agent and explore an extension, but that trading Bosh is not in the plan at all under any circumstance. Colangelo was clear that he wants Chris in Toronto long term and that if the two parties could not reach a deal this summer or next, he would gladly facilitate a sign and trade and get Chris "as much money as possible." When asked specifically about the "temptation" to trade Chris, his response was simple – "we have nothing to lose, Chris' best deal comes through us." The vibe of the discussion was simply that both sides have agreed to see this through for one more year and evaluate the situation then.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090519#STORY_18912

Jazz to 'Do Whatever it Takes" to Keep Millsap

The Jazz, (Greg) Miller said in a reiteration of comments made previously from within the organization, will do whatever it takes to retain restricted free agent Paul Millsap — even if their player payroll was pushed beyond $71 million and into tax territory because starting power forward Carlos Boozer, starting center Mehmet Okur and backup shooting guard Kyle Korver all were to decide against becoming free agents this offseason.

"If we need to," Miller told KSL-TV Ch. 5's Tom Kirkland, "we would not rule out paying luxury-tax money in order to keep him on the team.

"I just love what I see in him. I love his aggression; I love his hustle. He always just seems to be in the right place in the right time."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090519#STORY_18913

Jazz Question Boozer's Defense, Leadership

Other comments from (Greg) Miller on the weekend TV circuit:

Regarding (Carlos) Boozer, who has both vowed to opt out of his current deal and suggested he sees himself as a franchise cornerstone:

"We'd love to have Carlos here," he told KSL. "Carlos is a very talented player. I think he would be one who would be considered a marquee player. But I do have concerns about Carlos' defense, and I have some concerns about his ability to lead the team.

"I would just like to see Carlos step up and play more of a leadership role."

Makes sense to pay the luxury tax for Millsap. He is their starting PF for the next 10 years. No sense in letting him walk over what is probably only one year of luxury tax.

So the Clippers already have a crowded front court. They get the #1 pick which will obviously be Griffin. If I was Joe, I would be putting the full court press on to get Kaman from them.

So the Clippers already have a crowded front court. They get the #1 pick which will obviously be Griffin. If I was Joe, I would be putting the full court press on to get Kaman from them.

What kind of defender is he?

Decision time is coming for Pistons center Kwame Brown, but his camp is in no rush to decide if he will return next season.

Advertisement

Brown's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Thursday that Brown will take his time to decide whether to exercise his $4.1-million player option or hit the open market when free agency begins July 1.

"We'll do it sometime in the next month and a half," Bartelstein said. "When the season's over I think it's good to get away for a while and clear your head before making a decision.

"The season was kind of a roller coaster for him, but we'll make a decision in the coming weeks."

Brown, 27, has until 24 hours before the June 25 NBA draft to inform the Pistons of his decision.

Brown, a former No. 1 overall pick whose star-crossed career had seen him wearing three different uniforms before arriving in the Detroit, is coming off an up-and-down season.

His playing time was uneven, but he did show promise as a post defender and the team performed better on the boards when he was a consistent part of the lineup.

He averaged 4.2 points and 5.0 rebounds per game in an average of 17.2 minutes per game. He appeared in 58 games with 30 starts.

As far as factors in his decision, Bartelstein admitted the dour economy could play a role -- why risk making less than $4.1 million as a free agent?

"The economy affects everything and you have to be cognizant of what goes on in the world," Bartelstein said. "We'll evaluate everything, but the most important thing is for Kwame to grow as a player.

"We'll weigh it all and come to a decision."

http://www.freep.com/article/20090515/SPORTS03/905150328/1051/

Here's an update on two players -- Utah's Carlos Boozer and Chicago's Ben Gordon -- who are possible targets of the Pistons this summer when they attempt to overhaul their roster.

Advertisement

Boozer, although he expressed to the Salt Lake Tribune his desire to return, is expected to opt out of the last season of a deal that would pay him more than $12 million next season and become a free agent because of his desire for a long-term deal.

According to the Tribune, Boozer's best option might be to hang around for a season because few teams (such as the Pistons) would have the cap space to sign him outright as a free agent this summer.

If he decided to stay put, he becomes prime trade bait as the Jazz may try to get something for him before he leaves.

As for Gordon, the unrestricted free agent probably helped himself by averaging 24.3 points per game for the Bulls in their seven-game series loss to the Celtics.

It seems doubtful the Bulls would be able to keep Gordon since they already have $63 million in salary commitments for next season with the salary cap expected to be around $57 million.

"I really don't know (what will happen)," Gordon told Bulls.com after Chicago was eliminated Saturday night. "I'm just going to have to wait and see what my options are. See what the Bulls want to do and go from there. I'd like to be here. ... So you never know."

http://www.freep.com/article/20090505/SPORTS03/905050350/1051/Potential%20Pistons%20targets%20%20Boozer%20wants%20to%20stay%20%20Gordon%20noncommittal

What kind of defender is he?

He wont win DPOY anytime soon, but he is a pretty good defender. I would say above average.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090520/SPORTS03/905200365/1051/rss16

Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur free-agent possibilities for Pistons

The Pistons will monitor the situation in Utah closely this off-season.

Advertisement

The Utah Jazz roster is in a state of flux, with free agency possible for forward Carlos Boozer, center Mehmet Okur and shooting guard Kyle Korver, and the restricted free-agent status of power forward Paul Millsap.

The thinking is the Pistons might be able to acquire a player from the Jazz if it is dead-set against paying the NBA's luxury tax.

Greg Miller, who heads the family that owns the Jazz, was emphatic to KSL-TV in Salt Lake City last weekend that the team will pay the tax if it means keeping Millsap. There's still uncertainty about whether Boozer, Okur and Korver will return or opt out of their deals and become free agents.

The Pistons expect to be about $20 million under the salary cap this summer.

The salary cap is expected to drop to about $57 million next season, but more important, the luxury-tax threshold is expected to fall to $68 million, which kicks in a penalty for every dollar over the threshold.

It's expected the Pistons would have little interest in Korver, who had surgery Monday to remove scar tissue from his right wrist, but with a serious need to upgrade the frontcourt, a case could be made for Boozer, Okur and Millsap.

Speculation has centered on the Pistons' interest in Boozer when free agency begins July 1. If he returns to Utah, he and his $12.6-million salary might be trade bait. And Miller didn't seem as committed to Boozer.

"We'd love to have Carlos here," Miller said. "Carlos is a very talented player. I think he would be one who would be considered a marquee player. But I do have concerns about Carlos' defense, and I have some concerns about his ability to lead the team."

Okur, a part of the Pistons' 2004 championship, could be a target if he opts out, since 7-footers who can shoot are rare.

If the Pistons make Millsap an offer, the Jazz would have the right of first refusal.

Posting here because it involves some players the Pistons have been rumored to be interested in.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59278/20090520/clippers_could_send_a_surplus_big_to_chicago_for_hinrich/

Clippers Could Send A Surplus Big To Chicago For Hinrich

The Clippers reportedly have shown interest in Kirk Hinrich and Tuesday's lottery can eventually lead to trade discussions with the Bulls.

Mike Dunleavy will be motivated to trade Zach Randolph, Marcus Camby or Chris Kaman in order to make room for Blake Griffin. The Bulls have shown interest in Camby and Kaman in the past.

If something like that happened, that would pretty much guarantee the Bulls re-sign Gordon.

If the Pistons decide to go after Boozer... would Kaman be a good pairing with him? Defensive-wise I mean?

Or would it be better to pair Boozer with a Chandler-type (all defense, occasional offense...)?

I think that was one of the points I was making earlier in the season... that getting a new Center should be first priority... and would determine what type of PF we should target after that (strong defensive PF, to match up with an "Okur" if Dumars were to get him or someone like him/ or an offensive PF that might not be as strong defensively... if Dumars were able to obtain a Center such as Chandler or Thabeet...). Although I guess it could be reverse: Get the PF and then find the Center that best matches up...

If the Pistons decide to go after Boozer... would Kaman be a good pairing with him? Defensive-wise I mean?

Or would it be better to pair Boozer with a Chandler-type (all defense, occasional offense...)?

I think that was one of the points I was making earlier in the season... that getting a new Center should be first priority... and would determine what type of PF we should target after that (strong defensive PF, to match up with an "Okur" if Dumars were to get him or someone like him/ or an offensive PF that might not be as strong defensively... if Dumars were able to obtain a Center such as Chandler or Thabeet...). Although I guess it could be reverse: Get the PF and then find the Center that best matches up...

Is Chandler that good on defense? I don't see Chandler as a great one on one defender, and he doesn't block a lot of shots (Kaman is equal or better number wise). If you compare both players defensive ratings, Kaman has been right there with Chandler the past 3-4 years. Chandler had 2 great defensive years in Chicago, and hasn't really repeated it since. Even if Chandler is a little better on defense, Kaman is much better on offense. Just the fact he can score without the best PG in the league spoon feeding him is a good sign. Problem with both is, they are hurt a lot.

Nobody should be paired with Boozer though :wink:

Is Chandler that good on defense? ...

I'm probably going by reputation...

As for Boozer...

I don't know what our best PF option is at this point...?

PS: Anyone wanna answer my question on if Washington offers us James Harden (if picked with their #5) straight up for Rip... do we do that?

As for Boozer...

PS: Anyone wanna answer my question on if Washington offers us James Harden (if picked with their #5) straight up for Rip... do we do that?

I wasn't saying you were wrong about Chandler defensively. I guess I was asking a question.

I don't see any good options at PF. A trade is probably the best option.

As for Boozer...

That's interesting, although It couldn't be done straight up, Washington's got Cap issues, the Pistons would have to take back a couple of their bad contracts. Would take more then #5 in this draft to get that done.

Antonio Daniels and Brendan Haywood plus #5 for Rip. They both make just over $6 million next year and both are expiring. Let Washington know both will be instantly cut so they could re-sign both if wanted.

Antonio Daniels and Brendan Haywood plus #5 for Rip. They both make just over $6 million next year and both are expiring. Let Washington know both will be instantly cut so they could re-sign both if wanted.

Just curious, what would a top 5 pick eat up in cap space?

http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_12414251

Carlos Boozer is expected to opt out of Utah Jazz contract

BA »Team not likely to let All-Star go easily; he has said he wants to stay.

By Ross Siler

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 05/21/2009 12:43:38 AM MDT

The Jazz's season might have come to an end in the first round of the playoffs against Kobe Bryant and Co., but Carlos Boozer was back at Staples Center on Sunday to watch Game 7 of the Lakers-Rockets series alongside agent Rob Pelinka.

No decisions have been made, but all indications are that Boozer will opt out of the final year of his contract with the Jazz and become a free agent, with Boozer and Pelinka possibly waiting until the June 30 deadline to officially do so.

Boozer would be opting out of $12.7 million he is set to make in 2009-10, but is said to want the security of a long-term deal. He also is believed to have received assurances from Jazz CEO Greg Miller that the team wants him back in Utah.

The Jazz have operated on the assumption that Boozer will opt out, because of his December comments stating as much. Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor declined to comment on what assurances the franchise had given Boozer.

Should he opt out, Boozer first would turn around and look to re-sign with the Jazz. Gilbert Arenas did the same last summer in Washington, opting out to become a free agent and then re-signing with the Wizards for six years and $111 million.

As turbulent as Boozer's time in Utah has been, the belief is the Jazz will refuse to let go of a two-time All-Star and franchise cornerstone in Boozer, who voiced his desire to return after the Jazz were eliminated from the playoffs.

Despite their early exit against the Lakers, the perception is that the Jazz remain a young team on the rise, making it more important to keep Boozer, instead of aging with a roster in need of reconstruction.

Even amid a recession, Boozer would be banking on interest from other teams as arguably the headliner of a 2009 free-agent class that will include Allen Iverson, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom and Ron Artest.

Although there are a handful of teams with the salary-cap space to sign him outright -- Detroit, Memphis and Oklahoma City -- Boozer could draw interest from other teams in sign-and-trade possibilities with the Jazz.

There are conflicting accounts in NBA circles as to Detroit's interest in Boozer, but the Pistons are expected to spend this summer. Memphis and Oklahoma City also might be more inclined to do so after coming out winners in Tuesday's draft lottery.

As bad as the economy was this winter, it was noted that Mark Teixeira and CC Sabathia still signed nine-figure contracts with the Yankees. The NBA might be in for a similar summer as their baseball counterparts, but Boozer still is expected to command interest.

He missed 44 games last season with an injured left knee that ultimately required surgery, but Boozer is said to be healthy and working out in Miami.

Boozer wouldn't be the first player to sign a mega-money contract amid injury concerns, with Amare Stoudemire, Nene and Arenas having done so. He might have boosted his stock in the playoffs, averaging 20.6 points and 13.2 rebounds.

The worst-case scenario would be what happened with Arenas, who underwent knee surgery and played in only two games for Washington last season after signing his new contract, while making $14.7 million.

Boozer is expected to gather information through the draft and into late June before making his decision official. Corey Maggette, another player represented by Pelinka, waited until June 30 to opt out with the L.A. Clippers last year.

Mehmet Okur's opt-out decision, meanwhile, likely will depend on how he views the 2010 free-agent summer.

Not only could the NBA's salary-cap and luxury-tax numbers continue to decline with the economy, Okur might be in less demand in a class that could include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and a host of perennial All-Stars.

Although there are some around the league who believe the Jazz will look to trade Andrei Kirilenko this summer, Kirilenko is said to be happy in Utah, where he has settled into life with his wife and sons and is looking forward to returning to the Jazz.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59303/20090521/bulls_want_to_keep_gordon/

Bulls Want To Keep Gordon

New Chicago GM Gar Forman was asked about the future of unrestricted free agent Ben Gordon.

"We like Ben," Forman said. "He's our kind of guy. He's got great makeup and character, a great work ethic. Our goal is to re-sign Ben Gordon. In the conversations we've had, I think Ben wants to stay here in Chicago."

I am really intrigued by all this Rip for the #5 pick talk. Not only does it seem very feasible, it also seems beneficial to both teams. And I don't think it is a big deal for the Pistons to take some back some salary this year to make it happen as long as we maintain are cap room to make a run at Bosh next summer. James Harden would definitely be the guy I take at #5 if he is available.

I have always been a Kaman advocate on these boards. He is a top ten center when healthy. He is a little overpaid but I don't think his contract is awful for the production he gives you. I would think the Clippers would exchange Kaman for Prince in a heartbeat. Seems like a good trade for both teams.

Well Washington could accommodate us on the cap space. They have guys with expiring contracts to trade. Personally, I would wait till draft day for the trade. See if Jordan Hill is still around and if so, make the trade and take Hill. Start Stuckey and Bynum all year, move Prince if possible and get in the John Wall sweepstakes. Ed Reed or Cole Aldrich would be nice runner up prizes. Or maybe Donatas Motiejunas! We have had good luck with 18 year European 7 footers in the past...

http://www.freep.com/article/20090524/SPORTS03/905240473/1051/rss16

Chris Kaman would add needed size up front

The Pistons are expected to cast a net far and wide this summer in an effort to return to the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference, testing the free-agent market and eying possible trade partners.

Names like those of Toronto forward Chris Bosh, Utah forward Carlos Boozer and Chicago shooter Ben Gordon have been tossed out as Pistons targets, but the results of Tuesday night's NBA draft lottery may lead to one of the top centers in the league becoming available.

The L.A. Clippers have the No. 1 pick and could trade it, but if they go through with the obvious choice of selecting Oklahoma power forward Blake Griffin, big man Chris Kaman could be moved.

Griffin would be added to a collection of front-line players Marcus Camby, Zach Randolph (MSU) and Kaman.

Randolph is owed more than $33 million over the next two seasons, so it's hard to figure anyone would take on that contract for basically an undersized power forward who can score.

But Kaman, a former Central Michigan standout, is owed a relatively modest $33 million over the next three seasons.

With the Pistons' glaring needs up front, Kaman (if healthy) would add skilled size.

A legitimate 7-footer, he boasts career averages of 10.4 points and 8.3 rebounds per game.

Yet he has failed to play 60 games the last two seasons and was plagued by a strained arch in his left foot last season.

It would be interesting to know how much pull/influence Arnie Kander has in a situation where the Pistons are thinking about going after a guy with injury problems.

Well Washington could accommodate us on the cap space. They have guys with expiring contracts to trade. Personally, I would wait till draft day for the trade. See if Jordan Hill is still around and if so, make the trade and take Hill. Start Stuckey and Bynum all year, move Prince if possible and get in the John Wall sweepstakes. Ed Reed or Cole Aldrich would be nice runner up prizes. Or maybe Donatas Motiejunas! We have had good luck with 18 year European 7 footers in the past...

Hill's upside makes him very attractive and has the advantage of being a big man. I think I would still favor Harden over him however. Chad Ford compares him to a less athletic Brandon Roy and I think that is a fair comparison. I would take either of those guys over anybody else in the draft except Rubio and Griffin.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090524/SPORTS03/905240473/1051/rss16

It would be interesting to know how much pull/influence Arnie Kander has in a situation where the Pistons are thinking about going after a guy with injury problems.

In a decison on Kaman, Kander would be consulted heavily. The good new is before a trade the Pistons would have ample access to all the medical records, I promise it would be a condition of the trade as would a physical.