RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Cavaliers Sign Moon To Offer Sheet

Cavaliers Sign Moon To Offer Sheet

The Cavaliers have signed restricted free agent Jamario Moon to an offer sheet.

The full details of the offer sheet weren't yet known, but sources told ESPN that the deal was signed on Friday and spans two guaranteed years.

The Heat will have seven days to match the offer, but it appears as though Cleveland has a good shot to land Moon given Miami's desire to preserve cap space for 2010.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the Cavaliers have $3.2 million left of their $5.9 million mid-level exception, which could be used to sign Moon.

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry usually avoids restricted free agents. This is the first offer sheet he has extended in four years running the team's front office.

Big man Trent Plaisted likely to head overseas | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Big man Trent Plaisted likely to head overseas

During summer-league play, Pistons big man Trent Plaisted was kind of overlooked in all the attention given to the team's 2009 draft picks.

Advertisement

But if nothing else, the 6-foot-11, 245-pounder from BYU proved that he was healthy.

Plaisted was taken in the second round of the 2008 draft and the plan was for the Pistons to evaluate his progress overseas for a year. He signed with a team in Italy, but after two games he suffered a season-ending back injury. So Las Vegas provided his first taste of organized basketball since then.

He was in shape, but he didn't get much playing time as the Pistons wanted to get good looks at rookies Austin Daye, DaJuan Summers and Jonas Jerebko in the frontcourt. Plaisted, 22, did start three games and played in all five. He averaged three points and 2.8 rebounds in 11 minutes per game.

Since he missed most of last season, the Pistons would like to evaluate him over a full year, so it's safe to assume he'll be heading overseas for another season.

I've never been in favor of acquiring Davis for Maxiell. Based on nearly every advanced statistic, Davis was one of the worst big men in basketball last year and was an inferior player to Maxiell. Maxiell had a superior true shooting percentage (TS %), rebound percentage (both offensive and defensive rebounding), PER (15.8 to 10.7), win shares and WARP (3.5 to -0.3). As of today, it is not even close. Maxiell is a vastly superior player.

I've never been in favor of acquiring Davis for Maxiell. Based on nearly every advanced statistic, Davis was one of the worst big men in basketball last year and was an inferior player to Maxiell. Maxiell had a superior true shooting percentage (TS %), rebound percentage (both offensive and defensive rebounding), PER (15.8 to 10.7), win shares and WARP (3.5 to -0.3). As of today, it is not even close. Maxiell is a vastly superior player.

As long as you don't want to count the playoffs.

I'll take the much larger sample size.

Normally, so would I. But I put a lot of stock in playoff numbers over regular season numbers. Some night in February against the Clippers doesn't impress me as much as a 2nd round game against the Magic.

Max had his numbers drop each year come playoff time. Davis had his drop last year, but he didn't play in every playoff game and when he did, it was just for 8 mins per game. But this year his numbers are up a lot. Of course, playing 35+ minutes a night helps. But that is another problem with Max. He could never play 35 minutes a night at his size. The knock on him is, he tires out to fast from having to go against bigger players.

Normally, so would I. But I put a lot of stock in playoff numbers over regular season numbers. Some night in February against the Clippers doesn't impress me as much as a 2nd round game against the Magic.

Max had his numbers drop each year come playoff time. Davis had his drop last year, but he didn't play in every playoff game and when he did, it was just for 8 mins per game. But this year his numbers are up a lot. Of course, playing 35+ minutes a night helps. But that is another problem with Max. He could never play 35 minutes a night at his size. The knock on him is, he tires out to fast from having to go against bigger players.

Fair point. I do agree that Davis could handle spot minutes as a starter better than Max could. But, simply as a bench player (which is what both players ideally would be) Max has been superior. Unless we were bringing in Davis to be a starter, the move would not make sense, imo.

Fair point. I do agree that Davis could handle spot minutes as a starter better than Max could. But, simply as a bench player (which is what both players ideally would be) Max has been superior. Unless we were bringing in Davis to be a starter, the move would not make sense, imo.

Especially ALSO costing a 1st rounder. That seems like a steep price to pay to upgrade from Maxiell to Davis. Are the guards they offered worth anything? Or nothing but trade filler? If they're worthless, then it is Maxiell + 1st rounder for Big Baby...

Like I said...

Especially ALSO costing a 1st rounder. That seems like a steep price to pay to upgrade from Maxiell to Davis. Are the guards they offered worth anything? Or nothing but trade filler? If they're worthless, then it is Maxiell + 1st rounder for Big Baby...

Like I said...

Well, when you throw in the first round pick, it is a completely unfair trade imo. I was just arguing the Max vs. Davis debate. And I'm going to go off on a tangent... if people listen to Mike Valenti, you would think Glen Davis is one of the best players in the game and that Max is worth a stick of gum. You could make the argument that Davis has better potential than Max and I would agree with that. But, in terms of overall value as of today, Davis is not the vastly superior player that Valenti paints him as and his listeners probably do not realize that. In fact, the stats suggest the opposite. That is what irks me. I just hate talk radio.

Why is Davis a bench player? You don't think his play last year in the playoffs might suggest he can become a starter? Remember, that was just his second year in the league. He is still growing and improving as a player.

Statistically, his second year numbers were better than Maxiells second year numbers (Max wins on shooting % as you said). He has out performed him by a wide margin in the playoffs. And he has the size to be a regular player.

Why is Davis a bench player? You don't think his play last year in the playoffs might suggest he can become a starter? Remember, that was just his second year in the league. He is still growing and improving as a player.

Statistically, his second year numbers were better than Maxiells second year numbers (Max wins on shooting % as you said). He has out performed him by a wide margin in the playoffs. And he has the size to be a regular player.

His numbers were not necessarily better. Davis would win in win shares. But, Max would have a superior PER, TS%, TRB%, B% and defensive rating. Also, his playoff numbers in the 2008 playoffs are arguably superior to what Davis had this year. PER is basically identical (15.1 to 15.2), but TS%, TRB%, B%, Stl%, offensive and defensive rating all favor Max and win shares is nearly identical (1.1 to 1.3). If those numbers suggest that Davis could be a starter, then does Max have the potential to be a starter?

His numbers were not necessarily better. Davis would win in win shares. But, Max would have a superior PER, TS%, TRB%, B% and defensive rating. Also, his playoff numbers in the 2008 playoffs are arguably superior to what Davis had this year. PER is basically identical (15.1 to 15.2), but TS%, TRB%, B%, Stl%, offensive and defensive rating all favor Max and win shares is nearly identical (1.1 to 1.3). If those numbers suggest that Davis could be a starter, then does Max have the potential to be a starter?

No, he doesn't have any potential as a starter. To be a starter you need to play 30-35 minutes per game. Max cant play that many minutes a game against big players. He gets tired and loses his legs. That is why Flip use to play him in the first half, and he would play somewhat good and you wouldn't see him in the second half.

I like how you use stats, and I mean that. I read your blog and enjoy how you break players down statistically. But you have to be careful not to get to carried away with them. If things were based just on PER, Amir Johnson would be a top 10 player in the league.

Just so we are clear on this. I wouldn't give up the first round pick either. Not because I think Max is good/bad or Davis is good/bad. But because I think the Pistons have a good shot at ending up in the lottery this year.

No, he doesn't have any potential as a starter. To be a starter you need to play 30-35 minutes per game. Max cant play that many minutes a game against big players. He gets tired and loses his legs. That is why Flip use to play him in the first half, and he would play somewhat good and you wouldn't see him in the second half.

I like how you use stats, and I mean that. I read your blog and enjoy how you break players down statistically. But you have to be careful not to get to carried away with them. If things were based just on PER, Amir Johnson would be a top 10 player in the league.

I never meant to imply that Max should be in the starting lineup. I think I mentioned above that he is at best a good bench player. However, you asked me why Davis could not be a starter based on his numbers in the playoffs, and stated that he had better numbers than Max in his second season. So, I provided the stats to suggest otherwise. Maxiell is not a starter. Heck no.

And, I also understand that not all numbers correlate and you have to be careful when assuming a player can handle larger minutes. But, again, I never suggested that Max should get more minutes and I did admit that Davis had better potential as a starter b/c he had at least proven that he could be competent in that role.

I never meant to imply that Max should be in the starting lineup. I think I mentioned above that he is at best a good bench player. However, you asked me why Davis could not be a starter based on his numbers in the playoffs, and stated that he had better numbers than Max in his second season. So, I provided the stats to suggest otherwise. Maxiell is not a starter. Heck no.

And, I also understand that not all numbers correlate and you have to be careful when assuming a player can handle larger minutes. But, again, I never suggested that Max should get more minutes and I did admit that Davis had better potential as a starter b/c he had at least proven that he could be competent in that role.

Well you asked me a direct question if Max had potential to be a starter or not.

So if one person can be a starter, and the other cant. Why do you say Max is the superior player?

Also, I don't agree with your stats at all. I said Davis had the better second season. I think you are using career totals and that isn't fair, because Max has had 2 more years to mature and refine his game. If you go back and compare just their second season stats, you will see they don't favor Max at all. Shooting%, ORB%, and Block% is all he leads in if you just compare second years.

Well you asked me a direct question if Max had potential to be a starter or not.

So if one person can be a starter, and the other cant. Why do you say Max is the superior player?

Also, I don't agree with your stats at all. I said Davis had the better second season. I think you are using career totals and that isn't fair, because Max has had 2 more years to mature and refine his game. If you go back and compare just their second season stats, you will see they don't favor Max at all. Shooting%, ORB%, and Block% is all he leads in if you just compare second years.

Nope. I used numbers from Max's second regular season and second postseason like you told me too. Look at the numbers again. Max leads in a lot more areas than you think. PER, defensive rating, etc. I listed them above.

And, Max is the better player b/c they are both bench players at this point in their careers, and Max is a better bench player. Davis cannot be a starter and will be exposed if he is.

Nope. I used numbers from Max's second regular season and second postseason like you told me too. Look at the numbers again. Max leads in a lot more areas than you think. PER, defensive rating, etc. I listed them above.

And, Max is the better player b/c they are both bench players at this point in their careers, and Max is a better bench player. Davis cannot be a starter and will be exposed if he is.

Yeah, your numbers are real off. Steal% both are 1.7, Max isn't better as you claimed.

Defensive rating, Max wins by 1. But you also say Max wins offensive rating. Truth is, Davis beats him by a pretty hefty 5 points. 106 to 101.

You also say Max wins on WS and Davis blows him away. Davis is 3.6 while Max is just 1.7.

Jason Maxiell Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

Glen Davis Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

Maybe you were looking at the wrong ones or something? Am I looking at the wrong ones? I don't really know what happened.

You can also go here to compare both players first two years.

Player Comparison Finder - Basketball-Reference.com