Two totally different situations. Kwame has 1 year left at a set price. He wouldn't be leaving because he doesn't like it here. He would be leaving because he could get more money or a longer term contract. Do you really want Detroit to start toying with the idea of giving him a long term deat at $6-$7 million per? I know I don't, and I like the kid.

Oh, I absolutely do not want to pay him $6 million. However, the article does suggest that his leaving has more to do with other things than it does money (playing time, rollercoaster season, etc).

Mostly I just found it funny that there are scrubs in the league who don't have their pick of places to go and are still luke warm about coming/staying here, yet Joe thought it was a good idea to free up 24 Mil to try to lure a couple of stars that can pick the city of their choice.

Oh, I absolutely do not want to pay him $6 million. However, the article does suggest that his leaving has more to do with other things than it does money (playing time, rollercoaster season, etc).

Mostly I just found it funny that there are scrubs in the league who don't have their pick of places to go and are still luke warm about coming/staying here, yet Joe thought it was a good idea to free up 24 Mil to try to lure a couple of stars that can pick the city of their choice.

You are discounting a huge point, the cap space can be used to ACQUIRE players from other teams aside from just luring them to Motown as FA.

You are discounting a huge point, the cap space can be used to ACQUIRE players from other teams aside from just luring them to Motown as FA.

Why do people continue to ignore that point? Hell, its probably a more important point than the actual shot at free agents.

Why do people continue to ignore that point? Hell, its probably a more important point than the actual shot at free agents.

I thought all trades had to be within something like 25% salary. Is that only true during the regular season? Or, are you saying that we could trade a first rounder for a player under contract for 15 mil just because we have the space (if a team was willing/dumb-enough to do that)?

I thought all trades had to be within something like 25% salary. Is that only true during the regular season? Or, are you saying that we could trade a first rounder for a player under contract for 15 mil just because we have the space (if a team was willing/dumb-enough to do that)?

Yep, thats exactly what we can do with our cap space. Last year Marcus Camby was traded for a 2nd round pick because the Clippers had $15 million in cap space to take on his contract. You only have to be within 25% if the teams dont have the cap space for the contracts they are receiving.

If you like Chandler and New Orleans wants to cut salary, we could send them just a 2nd round pick (Or even just cash) for him.

If you are under the cap..you can do anything you want.

Yep, thats exactly what we can do with our cap space. Last year Marcus Camby was traded for a 2nd round pick because the Clippers had $15 million in cap space to take on his contract. You only have to be within 25% if the teams dont have the cap space for the contracts they are receiving.

If you like Chandler and New Orleans wants to cut salary, we could send them just a 2nd round pick (Or even just cash) for him.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Let's hope Joe can make that happen.

Here is a list from the Dallas Morning News:

FREE AGENTS OF NOTE

Only unrestricted free agents listed

Cream of the crop

Ron Artest; Houston

Ben Gordon; Chicago

Allen Iverson; Detroit

Shawn Marion; Toronto

Andre Miller; Philadelphia

Lamar Odom; LA Lakers

Rasheed Wallace; Detroit

Best of the rest

Chris Andersen; Denver

Trevor Ariza; LA Lakers

Luther Head; Miami

Grant Hill; Phoenix

Eddie House; Boston

ZaZa Pachulia; Atlanta

Anderson Varejao; Cleveland

Darkhorses

Rodney Carney; Minnesota

Anthony Carter; Denver

Marquis Daniels; Indiana

Flip Murray; Atlanta

Anthony Parker; Toronto

Wally Szczerbiak; Cleveland

Von Wafer; Houston

I generally don't like to post things without a link, but here goes. Total rumor and speculation that I can't provide a link for. In fact, I didn't even see/hear the interview in question. I nicked this off of a Raptor message board. Thats my full disclosure.

Ric Bucher was on a radio show this past week. He reported that NBA sources have told him Toronto will offer Bosh a big extension this summer. If he rejects it (Which Bucher said he expects Bosh will), he will be traded this summer.

I generally don't like to post things without a link, but here goes. Total rumor and speculation that I can't provide a link for. In fact, I didn't even see/hear the interview in question. I nicked this off of a Raptor message board. Thats my full disclosure.

Ric Bucher was on a radio show this past week. He reported that NBA sources have told him Toronto will offer Bosh a big extension this summer. If he rejects it (Which Bucher said he expects Bosh will), he will be traded this summer.

Bet that is true..but unless he is going to sign an extension to where he is traded, he won't bring much.

Bet that is true..but unless he is going to sign an extension to where he is traded, he won't bring much.

I think that is untrue.

Regardless of whether he signs an extension or not, I think a team will take a chance on him, and trade a boatload to the Raptors. Whether it is "fair value" or not... I couldn't say. But Prince + (2) 1st rounders + more...? Just to start the conversation.

That seems true and I don't think the Pistons can even get a seat at the table with what they have to offer in exchange.

That seems true and I don't think the Pistons can even get a seat at the table with what they have to offer in exchange.

I don't think Toronto is going to be able to get fair value for Bosh so I wouldn't rule out the Pistons making some competitive offers.

I don't think Toronto is going to be able to get fair value for Bosh so I wouldn't rule out the Pistons making some competitive offers.

I don't know what fair value is for him but I have read that the Heat would offer Beasley + and the Bulls have younger more attractive options as well. I'd expect both to make a run at him. And I think both of those teams would look like better long term homes to Bosh than the Pistons when it comes to a new contract. The Heat with Wade and the Bulls with a young roster look like teams that can compete right now, unlike the Pistons.

And who knows, if the Lakers fall short again I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to move one of their bigs.

I think that is untrue.

Regardless of whether he signs an extension or not, I think a team will take a chance on him, and trade a boatload to the Raptors. Whether it is "fair value" or not... I couldn't say. But Prince + (2) 1st rounders + more...? Just to start the conversation.

You dont gut your franchise for "I hope I can sign this guy".

Sportz4life is right. Nobody is going to gut their team for a shot at signing Bosh. You are talking about two very different trade packages if is or isn't signed to an extension.

Without an extension you are looking at getting back expiring contracts and maybe a #1 pick. That pick would almost certainly be lottery protected, top 5 protected, etc. A team like Detroit would give up Prince or Rip in a heartbeat, but why would Toronto want them? If they lose Bosh, they are in rebuild mode. Old players with fat contracts wont interest them, unless its an expiring deal.

With an extension signed you are looking at getting back a young player with star potential, probably another 1 or 2 players who are or have the potential to be pretty good (fringe starters or 6th or 7th men off the bench), plus a unprotected #1 pick. Also toss in some expiring contracts to match salary. A good example is what Minnesota got for KG with Boston. Young stud player in Jefferson. Minnesota got back a #1 pick they owed Boston (Which was a high pick because Minnesota is bad), and some cap space in expiring contracts.

Easier said than done. I don't really see any Ben Wallace types available and that was really the guy who set the tone for the old Pistons.

Hrm, well that Gorac guy in Orlando is interesting.

Ha...that is friggin' typical of what's wrong with Kwame's basketball career. He finally finds a team that wants him, that has a role for him and he's gonna start looking elsewhere. This kid has no desire to play basketball, just trying to make as much money as possible before the flame blows out.

Here is a link to the Raps board, looks like this guy isn't making it up.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=905078

Hey guys,

ESPN NBA analyst Ric Bucher was interviewed today on The Bill Watters Show on AM640.

Here is what he had to say regarding Chris Bosh's future in Toronto.

NBA sources have told Ric Bucher that:

- The Toronto Raptors have either made or will make Chris Bosh a presumptuous contract offer this summer. It is basically a take it or leave it contract proposal. If Chris Bosh rejects the Raptors long-term contract extension offer (99% chance of occurring) this summer, he will definitely get traded this summer.

- The Raptors are not convinced that Chris Bosh wants to be in Toronto for the long-term.

- It seems as though, Chris Bosh is envious and jealous of the playoff success that has been achieved by some of his fellow Team USA teammates such as Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, and LeBron James.

- Unnamed NBA GM's think that Chris Bosh isn't a franchise player since players such as LeBron james and Dwyane Wade wouldn't allow their respective teams to lose as many games that the Raptors did during the 2008-09 NBA season, even if they were not playing 100% healthy.

Here is a link to the Raps board, looks like this guy isn't making it up:

...Unnamed NBA GM's think that Chris Bosh isn't a franchise player

I would allow Chris Bosh to play on the Detroit Pistons team.

I would also trade Prince, and this year's and an additional later-year 1st rounder, and probably toss in one of Amir Johnson or Maxiell as well, for Chris Bosh. Even if we haven't signed him long-term yet.

You might call this another Juan Gonzalez trade... but I'd give this a shot to try and convince him to sign long-term. Joe would also have to build a stronger team around Stuckey-Rip-Bosh, which would include getting Chandler somehow, making an RFA offer to Marvin Williams, etc...

But I'd be OK with Joe taking a shot like this.

Beasley is the only guy I have seen suggested that would give the Raptors close to equal value for Bosh but I see no reason for Miami to make that trade without getting an extension done with Bosh first.

I am not so sure Colangelo only wants developmental players in a deal for Bosh. All that would lead to is Toronto developing those players for another team, as they did with Bosh and VC. I don't know if Rip or Tayshaun is the right fit for them either but I think Toronto should try to get more than just young players and draft picks for Bosh.

Beasley is the only guy I have seen suggested that would give the Raptors close to equal value for Bosh but I see no reason for Miami to make that trade without getting an extension done with Bosh first.

I am not so sure Colangelo only wants developmental players in a deal for Bosh. All that would lead to is Toronto developing those players for another team, as they did with Bosh and VC. I don't know if Rip or Tayshaun is the right fit for them either but I think Toronto should try to get more than just young players and draft picks for Bosh.

Now if we could only get you installed as the Toronto GM...

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59227/20090517/can_hawks_afford_to_keep_core_their_intact/

Can Hawks Afford To Keep Core Their Intact?

The Hawks have just $40.8 million committed for next season, but have free agents in Mike Bibby, Marvin Williams and Zaza Pachulia.

Atlanta has made tremendous strides in the last two years, with consecutive playoff appearances, but a number of decisions will have to be made.

There have been rumors that the Hawks could dangle Williams in a sign-and-trade.

"I love the guys. I love the coaching staff. I love the city," said Bibby, who made $14.9 million this season. "So we'll see what happens."

I know its not much info and not Piston related, but a few people around have mentioned their desire to obtain Williams. So I figured I would post it here instead of the general NBA thread. No freakin clue what the Pistons could trade them though. Bold is mine.

Bosh even twittered that he's sick of watching the playoffs, not much, but it adds credence to his being envious of fellow Olympians.

You don't even have to know the game to see that Bosh doesn't want to be in Toronto.

What about the fact that Marion and Anthony Parker are gone though -- the Raptors can make a big signing, but, who the hell is going to sign in Toronto?????? I LOVE Toronto, but there seems to be a stigma about Toronto where pro sports is concerned.

Bosh even twittered that he's sick of watching the playoffs, not much, but it adds credence to his being envious of fellow Olympians.

You don't even have to know the game to see that Bosh doesn't want to be in Toronto.

What about the fact that Marion and Anthony Parker are gone though -- the Raptors can make a big signing, but, who the hell is going to sign in Toronto?????? I LOVE Toronto, but there seems to be a stigma about Toronto where pro sports is concerned.

The stigma..it not the USA..they suck..