That was the first thing I thought of too. I don't know though, he looks like he has a lot more power and athleticism than Max.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/58904/20090501/boozer_still_plans_to_opt_out/

Boozer Still Plans To Opt Out

Carlos Boozer will likely opt out of his contract, despite his recent PR recovery attempt in which he has continually stated his desire to remain with Utah.

“I don’t think so," said Boozer when asked if there is any chance of playing out his current contract. "Obviously, I’m gonna talk to them (the Jazz), talk to my agent. I’m sure I’ll be talking to you guys again soon, but I don’t think so.”

Crap.

Seeing that Boozer still plans to opt out doesn't surprise me. He's shown throughout his career that he's me-first, not a team guy. However, I think if he follows throught and does opt out, it'll end up costing him.

There are only 4 teams with the cap space to sign him away from Utah this offseason, not including a sign-and-trade. I really hope we don't sign him. I don't see Atlanta showing any interest. With Horford already at the 4 and Bibby and Williams free agents they'll have their own stuff to deal with this summer.

That leaves Memphis and Oklahoma City. If neither wins Blake Griffin in the lottery, would either of them try to lure Boozer? I don't see him as a guy who cares if he plays for a contender or not, as long as he gets his touches. Memphis has little at PF. Neither does OKC if Green slides to SF. I don't think that Memphis will want to spend the money. And I wouldn't let Boozer within 200 feet of Durant, Green, and Westbrook if I'm GM Sam Presti.

Outside of those teams, I think only Minnesota and Portland, both of whom are set at PF, can offer him more than the mid-level exception.

Seeing that Boozer still plans to opt out doesn't surprise me. He's shown throughout his career that he's me-first, not a team guy. However, I think if he follows throught and does opt out, it'll end up costing him.

There are only 4 teams with the cap space to sign him away from Utah this offseason, not including a sign-and-trade. I really hope we don't sign him. I don't see Atlanta showing any interest. With Horford already at the 4 and Bibby and Williams free agents they'll have their own stuff to deal with this summer.

That leaves Memphis and Oklahoma City. If neither wins Blake Griffin in the lottery, would either of them try to lure Boozer? I don't see him as a guy who cares if he plays for a contender or not, as long as he gets his touches. Memphis has little at PF. Neither does OKC if Green slides to SF. I don't think that Memphis will want to spend the money. And I wouldn't let Boozer within 200 feet of Durant, Green, and Westbrook if I'm GM Sam Presti.

Outside of those teams, I think only Minnesota and Portland, both of whom are set at PF, can offer him more than the mid-level exception.

Why do you say Atlanta wouldn't have any interest? Horford plays the 5 now, so why not next to Boozer?

I'd like to have Paul Millsap. I think he's a real tough guy who's only going to get better. You'll never see him taking nights off. Several of those Lakers blowouts, Millsap was working his butt off trying to get Utah back into the games. If Utah keeps Boozer, I doubt they will be willing to match an offer for Millsap. I still think Utah will choose to keep Millsap over Boozer though. Just a hunch....

I'd like to have Paul Millsap. I think he's a real tough guy who's only going to get better. You'll never see him taking nights off. Several of those Lakers blowouts, Millsap was working his butt off trying to get Utah back into the games. If Utah keeps Boozer, I doubt they will be willing to match an offer for Millsap. I still think Utah will choose to keep Millsap over Boozer though. Just a hunch....

Agreed. I'd love to get Millsap. However, if Boozer opts out, the Jazz should be able to keep him.

Why do you say Atlanta wouldn't have any interest? Horford plays the 5 now, so why not next to Boozer?

I didn't realize he was mostly playing the 5 now. But I still think Atlanta would rather spend $10 million apiece on Williams and Bibby than give Boozer $15mil or more a year.

Agreed. I'd love to get Millsap. However, if Boozer opts out, the Jazz should be able to keep him.

Yeah, I don't see any way that Utah would allow both to leave.

I didn't realize he was mostly playing the 5 now. But I still think Atlanta would rather spend $10 million apiece on Williams and Bibby than give Boozer $15mil or more a year.

Fair enough and you are probably right.

The more I look at this list the more depressed I get. This off-season was supposed to be what it was all about, the reason Joe worked so hard to free up so much money - but why? Outside of a couple guys who may not even opt out, there's nobody in this list who's more than an "also starring" type of player. No real superstar to become the new face of the franchise and build a team around.

I guess he could sign a couple of guys and try to rebuild the team in the same mold (no true stars). Just seems like a lot of money to have at a time when nobody else has money, yet we have no clear and obvious targets.

This is why I've been saying that if Dumars reported to me he'd have a lot of explaining to do. It seems he guessed wrong on a lot of key outcomes. Curry has been horrible, Stuckey hasn't developed as promised, Johnson's future is completely in doubt despite force feeding him into the starting lineup and the team isn't going to interest any top FA (even if there were some) given their southward direction.

Really mystifying.

Between Rip & Tayshaun I'd rather keep Rip, but if they move him I'd like to see them nab Ellington from UNC in the 1st Round. It may be a bit high for him & I know they need some bigger bodies desperately, but I think Ellington's gonna be real good.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread on the topic, but I really think the death of Bill Davidson will impact this team & what Joe Dumars does in the off-season. While he wasn't Jerry Jones or Al Davis involved, Davidson's fingerprints were always on this team, dating back to the `70s. He gave people a lot of rope, but was not really a forgive & forget kind of owner. He was known to hold a grudge, particularly against Isiah, Carlisle & Larry Brown. I gotta believe that being free from those kinds of restrictions will free up Dumars to do some more unconventional things. (No I'm not suggesting he bring any of the 3 mentioned above back.)

Time to dump more salary. Max and Rip to San Antonio for Manu and Oberto.

Manu's deal is done after next season as is Oberto's.

Pipe dream I know. Let me have some fun.

Time to dump more salary. Max and Rip to San Antonio for Manu and Oberto.

Manu's deal is done after next season as is Oberto's.

Pipe dream I know. Let me have some fun.

If SA tossed in a 1st round pick I would even let it slip I am buying Manu out. So he would be free to sign back with SA in 30 days.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090503/COL08/905030451/1051/rss16

Hornets, Pistons win in Chris Paul trade

Joe Dumars should go after New Orleans point guard Chris Paul.

Advertisement

It's not as outrageous as you might think.

New Orleans remains in worse economic shape than Detroit. The Hornets announced recently that they'll tap into the $175-million line of credit the NBA established to assist teams through these turbulent fiscal waters.

Overall league revenues are falling and the salary cap might drop to the neighborhood of $57 million come July 1. The Hornets are currently $20 million over that figure for next season, according to Hoopshype.com, pushing them beyond the luxury tax threshold unless they pare significant payroll while receiving minimal in return.

Paul is the game's best point guard. He has a four-year, $63.6-million contract extension kicking in next season that the Hornets cannot afford unless they part with most of his high-priced supporting cast -- center Tyson Chandler, perimeter bomber Peja Stojakovic, power forward David West and valuable sixth man James Posey.

But should they part with some of those players for the sake of keeping Paul long-term, then there's no support for a legitimate championship run and the Hornets are dead in the nest.

The Pistons stand in perfect position this summer, with nearly $20 million of salary-cap space, for inheriting another team's contractual millstone through a trade.

It's understandably a longshot for Paul, but why not shoot for the ultimate?

New Orleans was in trouble before Hurricane Katrina blasted it four years ago. Corporate funding remains the life blood of professional sports because it helps keep those stadium and arena luxury suites filled at premium rates. New Orleans was home to only one Fortune 500 corporation before the levees collapsed.

Detroit was home to 15 Fortune 500 corporations in 2005, more than two-thirds directly connected to the domestic automobile industry, explaining why Detroit is currently one of only two cities with four professional teams in four separate facilities.

The Hornets' embarrassing five-game exit from the first round of the playoffs, including an unheard-of 58-point home loss in Game 4, only accentuated the panic within the franchise. They aren't as close to reaching the NBA elite as they thought a year ago, and they're looking at as radical a personnel transformation as the Pistons because the Hornets must cut costs.

Paul and New Orleans might provide Detroit with a basketball bailout.

He is right that they cant afford him, but who would you rather keep? A bunch of scrubs who wont sell tickets or Chris Paul who will sell some?

I think they would have to be on the brink of folding to trade Paul. I heard tapping into those loans isn't that big of a deal. Teams are doing it because that loans interest rate is lower than their current debt. So they are borrowing that to pay off past debt that was loaned at a higher interest rate.

He is right that they cant afford him, but who would you rather keep? A bunch of scrubs who wont sell tickets or Chris Paul who will sell some?

I've wondered the same thing about the rumors of a Paul trade. I'd trade every guy on that team for 10 cents on the dollar before even beginning to thinks about trading away one of the top 5 guys in the league. Paul even had the #3 selling jersey this year, so he's way up there in terms of fan popularity, too.

I'd think NO could get some combination of cap relief and young talent for Chandler and/or West.

Between Rip & Tayshaun I'd rather keep Rip, but if they move him I'd like to see them nab Ellington from UNC in the 1st Round. It may be a bit high for him & I know they need some bigger bodies desperately, but I think Ellington's gonna be real good.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread on the topic, but I really think the death of Bill Davidson will impact this team & what Joe Dumars does in the off-season. While he wasn't Jerry Jones or Al Davis involved, Davidson's fingerprints were always on this team, dating back to the `70s. He gave people a lot of rope, but was not really a forgive & forget kind of owner. He was known to hold a grudge, particularly against Isiah, Carlisle & Larry Brown. I gotta believe that being free from those kinds of restrictions will free up Dumars to do some more unconventional things. (No I'm not suggesting he bring any of the 3 mentioned above back.)

I really don't understand how a man who built an incredibly successful franchise and brought 3 championships to Detroit, more than any of his counterparts in the 3 major sports here, is held up as an impediment or excuse for Dumars.

First, he cleared the air with Thomas so he did forgive. But what was that dispute allegedly about? Thomas' post-playing career in management. Given Isiah's track record, Davidson should be applauded for the split. I don't know about Carlisle, but Carlisle did have nice things to say about Davidson when he passed away so I'm not sure about any ongoing feud. Regardless, Carlisle has yet to accomplish what Detroit did after he left, I don't see a reason for regret. And if it was Davidson that had Carlisle fired, how much more unconventional do you want? Firing a winning coach that had taken the team from the ashes to the ECFs is pretty unconventional.

An unrestricted Dumars scares the heck out of me. When you take Davidson and Hammond away from him I'm not sure what's there. Time will tell but given the hand he had when he made his comments at the end of last season, I can't think of a single play he's gotten obvioulsy right.

I really don't understand how a man who built an incredibly successful franchise and brought 3 championships to Detroit, more than any of his counterparts in the 3 major sports here, is held up as an impediment or excuse for Dumars.

First, he cleared the air with Thomas so he did forgive. But what was that dispute allegedly about? Thomas' post-playing career in management. Given Isiah's track record, Davidson should be applauded for the split. I don't know about Carlisle, but Carlisle did have nice things to say about Davidson when he passed away so I'm not sure about any ongoing feud. Regardless, Carlisle has yet to accomplish what Detroit did after he left, I don't see a reason for regret. And if it was Davidson that had Carlisle fired, how much more unconventional do you want? Firing a winning coach that had taken the team from the ashes to the ECFs is pretty unconventional.

An unrestricted Dumars scares the heck out of me. When you take Davidson and Hammond away from him I'm not sure what's there. Time will tell but given the hand he had when he made his comments at the end of last season, I can't think of a single play he's gotten obvioulsy right.

Couldn't agree more..I was alarmed that Joe never stepped up to the plate and pointed the finger at himself in his recent press conference. Mr. D was a success in everything he touched..go check the facts..how does a track record like that prove to be an impediment..what Mr. D didn't spend like a drunken sailor..check the facts..the Pistons have a paid for arena, cap room and the capacity to retool..not bad huh..

Joe hasn't made a shrewd move in almost 5 years..he waited too long..he has never been shrewdly decisive..and when he tried this fall it was a mini disaster, costing a competitive season. His lack of vision in prior years saddled him with an imoveable roster..what about his coaching carousel..Curry was an act of brilliance..not..

Joe needs to step up..own up and man up..now or never.

I don't think the New Orleans franchise would survive if they traded Chris Paul, not that it deserves to anyway, the owner is a read drip.

So if Joe doesn't deliver in 2010, is he fired?

So if Joe doesn't deliver in 2010, is he fired?

Isn't that the reason why Billups was traded? clear cap to bring in the BIG FA of 2010..Sheed and AI gone, he better step up..if not, I would fire him, but what happens if these BIG FAs don't want to play for the Pistons? holy crap.

Isn't that the reason why Billups was traded? clear cap to bring in the BIG FA of 2010..Sheed and AI gone, he better step up..if not, I would fire him, but what happens if these BIG FAs don't want to play for the Pistons? holy crap.

I agree with you Chaz, but when the AI trade was made I suggested he better deliver in 2010 or his job should be on the line. Almost everyone here laughed at that suggestion and said it was crazy to even think of firing Dumars.

I think Bil Davidson provided a good environment for the Pistons to win, but lets not go overboard. The guy bought the Pistons in 1974. They were a laughingstock until Isiah got there and didn't win anything until Daly came around. Then they went back to being horrible until he hired Joe Dumars.

I don't think Davidson's absence will make Dumars any better or worse, he'll be the exact same guy making the exact same moves he would have made.

I don't expect Dumars to be fired. Unlike other teams, the Pistons don't really have a player that is the face of the franchise, Dumars is the face of the franchise. He's almost one of the most powerful GM's in Basketball, he is free to take chances that could payoff that other GM's can't consider precisely because it could cost them their job.

Dumars has made mistakes, but he's also had some gambles pay off, even if you don't think the Pistons won as many championships as they should have, they did win one, which is something only 4 other teams have done since his tenure began. I'm pretty sure they are right there on top for most victories, and playoff victories as well.

This was the transition year, many here commented at the time, the Iverson trade was merely for cap room, the Pistons took a step back to have some flexibility into the future. I believe Dumars has a plan in mind, and is ready to execute it.

I really think Dumars is a smart character, and that he has a great desire to put the Pistons back on top as well as the power within the organization to do so. I think the team will look a lot different next year.

It's been five years since Joe has made a significant addition to the team other than Stuckey, and if by 2010-2011 season this team isn't on it's way back up, firing Joe should at least be considered.