Here is a list, what changes do you see? Who are likely targets? Man it sucks starting this thread 90 days earlier than normal.

fa1t.jpg

fa2.jpg

fa3.jpg

fa4.jpg

fa5g.jpg

fa6.jpg

fa7o.jpg

Rodney Carney and Matt Barnes would be nice pickups for the bench. The Pistons are in trouble next year regardless. Unless somehow they make an amazing trade or two.

Just listing their needs right now.

1) Big, space eating, defensive type center.

2) Stud PF.

3) True 3 point shooter.

4) True PG.

5) Another guy who can create his own shot.

The names that jump out to me are Carlos Boozer, Ben Gordon, Anderson Varejao & Damon Jones. Some would be bigger cogs than others obviously. I think Varejao would come here if he feels his highness is leaving Cleveland. & his highness IS leaving Cleveland.

The Pistons should probably just stay young and focus on trying to steal some other teams younger players, unfortunately that means trying to sign some RFAs.

A couple or already solid players to go after would be Marvin Williams, Ramon Sessions and Glen Davis. After pursuing those guys look to try and find some talented players that either haven't gotten a chance or have underachieved, try and get them on the cheap. Guys like Kyrylo Fesenko, Johan Petro, Gerald Green, and Rashad McCants. It doesn't help us compete immediately, but I don't think this team really can. Maybe that means trading guys like Prince and Rip, I'm not sure.

I am not too impressed with the free agent list at all. I wouldn't pay any of the big name free agents (Okur, Boozer, Marvin Williams) the money they are going to ask for. One guy that is interesting to me is Ron Artest. I did not know he was a free agent. I have always loved his game but given that we are going into rebuilding mode, he is not worth the headaches. If we were just looking to add a piece to a championship team, then he would be my guy. Two other guys that intrigue me are Lamar Odom and Varejao. Not sure what their asking price would be but I would at least check.

I think the biggest thing for us this offseason is going to be our trades. A couple guys I would consider that might be available are Tyson Chandler, Kirk Hinrich, and Marcus Camby.

That's a nice first post for the thread.

I think they need a dominant presence in the post and someone that wants to bang in the post to work to get his shot. It doesn't have to be the same person. Probably not the same person. Probably a power forward for the second.

That's a start for now.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090428#STORY_18403

A few league sources whom I respect have said that the Hornets may try to take advantage of Detroit's possible housecleaning this off-season, with their eyes focused on Richard Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince (or both). West could be part of one of those deals, but it's all speculation at this point. Still, you can't help but wonder if it's time to start over in New Orleans. That's pretty sad when you think about how close the Hornets were to contending last year.

I love crazy and wild off season speculation.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/58832/20090428/boozer_hints_at_remaining_in_utah/

Boozer Hints At Remaining In Utah

Back in December it looked like Carlos Boozer would definitely leave Utah this summer, but his position has seemed to change following their Game 5 exit.

"Absolutely, love to be in a Jazz uniform," he said. "(I) feel like one of those cornerstone people that brought this team back to prominence and back to the playoffs. I'd love to continue to move forward and have a chance to win a championship in the future."

If Boozer is talking about returning next year, it pretty much guarantees he will be playing for a different team next year.

M. Williams, Gordon, Varejao, Odom.

Those are the only names on that list I'd really like to see in a Pistons' uniform, with Gordon being my least favorite- he is too much of a one-dimensional player. I do like Okur, but I have a feeling he would end up looking too much like Sheed in about 2 seasons.

NO is in desperate need of a SG like Rip. A backcourt of Paul & Rip would be pretty scary. I'd like to get Chandler, (if he isn't given away for a 2nd rounder a la Camby) David West or Julian Wright out of them in that deal.

There isn't much foundation to build on, but there is plenty bricks & mortar to go around.

Speaking of wild speculation...

How about moving Tayshaun or someone to Portland for LaMarcus Aldridge? Portland's going to have some massive salary cap problems in the future and might be willing to move one of their young pieces. Just a thought.

On that list, how about Felton and Boozer? Then trade Stuckey and Tayshaun and a #1 for Bosh and move on...

Speaking of wild speculation...

How about moving Tayshaun or someone to Portland for LaMarcus Aldridge? Portland's going to have some massive salary cap problems in the future and might be willing to move one of their young pieces. Just a thought.

The problem is, Paul Allen runs his teams like a toy and not a business. So as long as they were winning/competing, I don't see him really being upset with paying luxury tax. Plus, Aldridge is pretty good and I doubt they want to move him.

Don't laugh, but I think you would have an easier time getting Oden from them. Underachieving, hurt quite a bit, and lots of rumors about him and the Portland night life since he turned 21. I think they would be willing to move him.

The problem is, Paul Allen runs his teams like a toy and not a business. So as long as they were winning/competing, I don't see him really being upset with paying luxury tax. Plus, Aldridge is pretty good and I doubt they want to move him.

Don't laugh, but I think you would have an easier time getting Oden from them. Underachieving, hurt quite a bit, and lots of rumors about him and the Portland night life since he turned 21. I think they would be willing to move him.

If they had to choose between Aldridge & Oden, I agree, they'd probably keep Aldridge. He's been more consistent & less injury prone, just like you said.

On a different note, I was kind of intrigued by you mentioning Pachulia as a guy we could possibly go after in the Playoffs thread.....

On that list, how about Felton and Boozer? Then trade Stuckey and Tayshaun and a #1 for Bosh and move on...

I like the idea of building around Felton, I think he is right on the verge of a huge breakout.

I don't know why you'd want both Bosh & Boozer though. Don't they play the same position, with similar games and similar defensive deficiencies?

1) I don't see much in the way of Unrestricted FA's, and the most enticing ones have to opt out (Boozer/ Okur/ Varejao)... so we may be restricted from getting those guys (unless the team wants to trade the guy if he takes his option... unlikely with Okur/ Varejao; possible with one of Boozer/ Millsap?). Pachulia is interesting... but I wouldn't wanna build around him.

2) That leaves, as the better options: (A) Trades, and (B) RFA's.

A) One of Boozer/ Millsap, Brand and most likely Chandler and/ or West may be available by trade. Bosh too (more on that later...). My priority list would be: Chandler and then one of Boozer or Brand. Trading for any of these guys most likely requires moving Prince, Rip, Amir, (plus possibly Kwame for cap/ cap relief (other team...) purposes?), and draft picks. Not certain what is exactly possible, or what the cost would be... but I think that is Joe's STARTING POINT. Those are the most talented front court players available, or at least it seems that way at this point. I don't know if a Bosh trade is realistic... but he would go to the top of this list if Dumars actually has a chance/ possibility of swinging a trade for him.

B) RFA's I would target: Ramon Sessions, and then Marvin Williams (if Prince is traded...). Childress, Felton, Villanueva, Moon, Lee, and Millsap are also names to consider. But (1) Joe would need to move players first in trades to be in the best position to make RFA offers... and (2) If Joe swings a trade for Boozer or Brand, for example, it negates the need to make RFA offers for Lee, Villanueva, or Millsap. And personally, I prefer Boozer or Brand over those three. (And Bosh more than any of 'em...).

My Christmas "FAT CHANCE" wish list: Joe swings trades for Bosh and Chandler, and then makes RFA offers to Sessions and Williams. Bynum gets traded to Milwaukee in a sign & trade. If Rip is involved in one of these trades (most likely), then a swing guard may additionally be needed.

MASSIVE changeover for the team... but I would just love to MORE than imagine a Sessions-Stuckey-Williams-Bosh-Chandler starting five.

Now, 4 things on the draft:

1) I hope Joe buys some draft picks with money. If it's time to rebuild... load up.

2) We might need 1st round draft picks, ours or purchased, to swing some of these trades. If no 1st roundres are left to us after all is said & done... c'est la vie.

3) If we still have 1 or more 1st rounders... I'd like to see another frontcourt player added... If we assume we are still in the #15 range, my wish list is one (or more) of Patrick Patterson, BJ Mullens, James Johnson, Gani Lawal.

4) I would use the 2nd rounders on backcourt swing players (PG/SG, or SF/SG) that can shoot 3's and handle the ball, or trade up into the 1st for same...

That's my 2 cents.

I gotta admit, if 84 Lives was the GM, things sure wouldn't be boring.

Haha, I had to take a break halfway through reading that post.....started to get dizzy seeing all those moves/theories. :knocked:

The more I look at this list the more depressed I get. This off-season was supposed to be what it was all about, the reason Joe worked so hard to free up so much money - but why? Outside of a couple guys who may not even opt out, there's nobody in this list who's more than an "also starring" type of player. No real superstar to become the new face of the franchise and build a team around.

I guess he could sign a couple of guys and try to rebuild the team in the same mold (no true stars). Just seems like a lot of money to have at a time when nobody else has money, yet we have no clear and obvious targets.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090429/SPORTS0102/904290418/1127/rss13

Pistons pick up option for Will Bynum

The Detroit News

The Pistons have picked up the team option on guard Will Bynum for the 2009-10 season.

Bynum averaged 7.2 points, 2.8 assists, 1.3 rebounds and 14.1 minutes over 57 games this season. He scored 22, his playoff career-high, in Game 4 of the Pistons' first-round loss to Cleveland.

Obviously not a shock. Good value for the money. Article doesn't mention it, but I believe the option was for $825k.

I've read a few articles here and there about this off-season, and I keep seeing the 17 Million dollar figure thrown around. Is that right? When I add it up, I get a lot more than that:

Expiring

Hermann - 2 mil

Iverson - 20.8 Mil

Mcdyess - .6 Mil

Sheed - 13.9 Mil

Sub-Total: 37.3 Mil

Current Cap Situation: -11.9

Total Cap Space: 25.4 Million

Do I fail at math, or is there something I'm missing. I haven't even counted Kwame, because he has a player option.

I've read a few articles here and there about this off-season, and I keep seeing the 17 Million dollar figure thrown around. Is that right? When I add it up, I get a lot more than that:

Expiring

Hermann - 2 mil

Iverson - 20.8 Mil

Mcdyess - .6 Mil

Sheed - 13.9 Mil

Sub-Total: 37.3 Mil

Current Cap Situation: -11.9

Total Cap Space: 25.4 Million

Do I fail at math, or is there something I'm missing. I haven't even counted Kwame, because he has a player option.

I keep hearing $17 million as well, but the way I see it you are right. Here is what Draftexpress says:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-player-salaries/team/Pistons/

$30.3 million committed next year. Add another million or two to bring us up to the 12 man roster limit and thats still over $20 million, even with the cap going down.

We must be missing something.