RedRamage

DRAFT 1.20 TE Brandon Pettigrew

The Lions gave up 53 sacks last year. Dan Orlovsky had half the snaps, and was only sacked 18 times. Stanton got himself sacked about 5 times in one quarter. Avoiding sacks has more to do with QB's and receivers getting open than the offensive line. Also, having a top notch TE will help with this. I'm warming up more and more to Pettigrew each day, the more I think about it.

<LT picture>

Serious question, did LT really have a drinking problem? I know he had drug addictions, which are much worse, but I don't recall alcohol problems. Maybe the drug abuse just overshadowed his boozing.

Either way, good point.

This pick almost didn't happen. Stupid Browns.

Giants Were Ready To Move Up For Maclin

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2009, 9:38 a.m.

Some (i.e., me) believed before the draft that the Eagles and the Giants were playing chicken with each other regarding possible trades for Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin and Browns receiver Braylon Edwards.

Neither seemed to be all that serious about trading for either player, but both likely were willing to feign interest in the hopes of getting the other to overspend, both via trade and contract.

As it turns out, a chess match unfolded between the Giants and the Eagles on draft day.

With Missouri receiver Jeremy Maclin plunging through the teens, the Giants had a deal in place to move from No. 29 to No. 20, according to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger.

The trade with the Lions would have allowed the Giants to land Maclin one spot before the Eagles could have gotten him, at No. 21.

But then the Eagles moved from No. 21 to No. 19 in a trade with the Browns, and snagged Maclin before the Giants could leapfrog Philly.

It’s unknown whether the Eagles knew that the Giants were poised to pounce. But it likely should have been obvious that one of the various receiver-needy teams picking in the last dozen spots of round one might have been talking to the Lions at No. 20.

What also isn’t known is whether the Browns dangled the 19th overall pick to the Giants or other teams.

To their credit, the Eagles haven’t crowed about their maneuver. If Brad Childress were still the team’s offensive coordinator, however, that might not be the case.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/29/giants-were-ready-to-move-up-for-maclin/

I like Pettigrew, but an extra 2nd/3rd rounder would have been really nice.

I wouldn't have done it for a 3rd rounder, but I probably would have for either second rounder -- and I'm skeptical NY would have offered that much.

No...drafting a TE for an 0-16 team is like buying a gift card for new floormats in the 2010 Mazerati you're TRYING to build. Just because you have to tool around in the POS for the next few years doesn't mean you're not aspiring to something greater.

I think this adequately summarized the debate. There are some folks who are prepared to suffer through more horrendous football if it means there's a better chance down the road of having a great team. Those are typically the guys who say things like, "they're not winning next year regardless." Other fans wanted some sort of immediate improvement, even if it means sacrificing long-term upside for a chance at a couple more wins the next few seasons and a few more closer/watchable football games.

You say potato, man. I'd add too that -- while I wasn't a big fan of the pick -- Pettigrew is probably more substantial than Mazerati floormates. At a minimum he's an ipod hook-up, possibly even cruise control.

-Tony

It all depends on ones personal philosophy concerning how to draft. Personally, when a team is 0-16 and has holes everywhere on the field, I come in to the draft with the outlook that my team will not win the next season. The season after either, though improvement needs to be evident. Im looking 3 or 4 years into the future as years that I can realistically contend.

So my draft philosophy has to be one of BPA over need. Every one of you guys thats saying that you would have gone a different route, would do so on the basis of need. Thats a philosophy to use when youre looking to next year, and thats simply not realistic for the Lions. Im looking at BPA and who has a chance to make pro bowls and help me over the top in the 2011 or 2012seasons. The guy that will be a stalwart for the next 10 or 12 seasons.

I dont see anyone else we could have picked in this slot that has much potential to be a consistent pro bowl player than Pettigrew. Damn the position need, we need talent. We need some top talent. Pettigrew fits the bill. Maualuga and Laurintis dont. Neither does Oher.

Offer me a defensive or OL alternative that has as much potential to be a game changer. There arent any. Theres just some solid guys in a weak defensive and tackle draft.

And the Larry Foote rumors make this pick look even better.

Serious question, did LT really have a drinking problem? I know he had drug addictions, which are much worse, but I don't recall alcohol problems. Maybe the drug abuse just overshadowed his boozing.

Either way, good point.

I don't know about alcohol with LT, but I still thought it kinda made my point.

I wouldn't have done it for a 3rd rounder, but I probably would have for either second rounder -- and I'm skeptical NY would have offered that much.

I think this adequately summarized the debate. There are some folks who are prepared to suffer through more horrendous football if it means there's a better chance down the road of having a great team. Those are typically the guys who say things like, "they're not winning next year regardless." Other fans wanted some sort of immediate improvement, even if it means sacrificing long-term upside for a chance at a couple more wins the next few seasons and a few more closer/watchable football games.

You say potato, man. I'd add too that -- while I wasn't a big fan of the pick -- Pettigrew is probably more substantial than Mazerati floormates. At a minimum he's an ipod hook-up, possibly even cruise control.

-Tony

I don't think you realize how good of a blocker Pettigrew is. He'll help the run game, be an insanely good checkdown, and is a top red zone target.

BTW I would have picked Jerry or even reach on Brace.

If Pettigrew is anything, he's a top of the line belt. The kind that is going to help keep the pants (o-line) from falling down and making the team fall on it's face (or *** depending on where you are pushing the person/team).

The Lions might have taken Beanie Wells if they made that trade.

You might be right. Pettigrew most likely would have been gone by then and they were interested in Wells. Of course I would have picked either either Hood or Delmas with that pick and take either Brace or Delmas with the 1st 2nd rounder in that case (depends on who they liked more for their system).

Cross post .... http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1848080&postcount=31

To make room for Brandon Pettigrew, Lions release Michael Gaines

by Tom Kowalski

Wednesday April 29, 2009, 5:18 PM

When the Detroit Lions drafted Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew with the 20th overall pick in the draft, it was clear that he was destined for a starting position. With the Lions also signing free agent Will Heller in the off-season, the position was getting crowded. The team thinned it out today by releasing veteran Michael Gaines.

Gaines started six games for the Lions last year, his only season in Detroit, and caugth 23 passes for 260 yards and one touchdown. He also had two fumbles, including a costly one late in the game against the Chicago Bears.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/to_make_room_for_brandon_petti.html

I was thinking the same thing.

If teams didn't have trades in principal like the Lions and Giants did for Pettigrew I would agree. However, I doubt this. I think someone would have jumped up to get him in the mid 20s.

Pettigrew may have fell to 29 actually. The biggest contender for Pettigrew was Baltimore - and I bet they would have still gone for Oher.

Why would Baltimore want Pettigrew? Don't they still have Heap?

He's the serpentine belt

Interesting way to put it. I agree, though. He'll make the engine run.

Leaving aside the wisdom of picking Stafford #1, once you make that pick, and stake the future of your franchise on the development of a young QB, you have to do everything you can to protect that investment. So you have the chance to pick a TE who is a devastating blocker and a big receiving target - it's a no brainer. You have to do it. He - and a competent offensive coaching staff - will do much more to protect Stafford than any OL would.

Why would Baltimore want Pettigrew? Don't they still have Heap?

Since I listen to Baltimore Sports Talk almost anytime i'm in a car, I heard it alot. They were hoping for Pettigrew, and then packaging Heap with a pick/other players for Boldin. Also they wanted to team him up with LJ Smith. At this point Baltimore is still looking for a WR, and will most likely end up with someone cut during training camp.

I love the Pettigrew pick. Him or Oher were the two guys I was hoping for all along at #20 if we took Stafford. I thought and still do think those two guys have the best chance of helping Stafford. The only reason I like Pettigrew more than Oher is because he is a very good blocker like Oher, but he can also go out and catch a ball. I never thought he'd be a Witten, Gates, Gonzalez type TE, but he's a guy who, like others have said already, be a good guy over the middle and a red zone guy.

Our red zone offense has been horrible for I don't know how long now. I'd love to have a warm happy feeling when we get in the red zone instead of the current feeling of dread I get just anticipating what the Lions are going to do to screw it up and come away with zero points.

in my opinion it is going to come down to how he gets used and then his production from that...

recieving: exactly what is the role of the te in this offense?...is he getting three looks and two catches a half?...or is he getting three and two in a single drive?...if it's the first this was overdrafting to the position...if it is the second, you need a reliable weapon here...

my evaluation would be: a)<40 catches, 5 or less td's this was a bad pick...b)40-65 catches and 8-10td's would grade as o.k....andc) >65 catches and double digit td's would make him a great pick at this spot.

blocking: what is the lions new running philosophy?...is it run first to set up the pass?...or is it the passing game that sets up the run?...what is the ratio?...and what type of running game is it?...between the tackle?...sprint wide?...counters and draws?...

my evaluation here would be (assuming he's paired with cherilus on the right side): a) running game still in bottom third of league = bad pick and b) number of attempts per game increase by ten and yards per carry increase by 0.5/carry = o.k. pick and c) team becomes top ten in rushing and/or ypc increase by 1.0 or more = great pick

lets face it, last year everybody in north american knew that on third down, no matter the distance, the only play this team had was chuck it towards cj and pray he could do something...that's not an offense...that was offensive...

if this team can use this player to develop a more balanced effective plan that is a good start...if he is used the same way te's have been used in detroit for the past 20 years, you could have gotten that from any 4th round pick and this was a bad choice...if he is used as a dynamic offensive cog (as some teams in the nfl do) that has to be accounted for by the defense on every single play, then this was a great pick...

i'm beginning to think that what they do with him may be as important as what they do with stafford in the broad terms of what is this teams "philosophy" of football on the offensive side of the equation.

I think the pick shouldn't be measured by just Pettigrew's numbers, since he can affect alot of coverages; such as outside help by the safeties on the receivers. This can open up the offense to alot of possibilities.

I'll echo the thoughts that his numbers shouldn't determine his value, especially in his rookie season.

I think the pick was made to "protect" the Lion's investment in Stafford as much as it was anything else. How?

1) IF Pettigrew is the amazing blocker that everyone is claiming, the running game will obviously benefit. Hopefully we see some nice examples of Pettigrew sealing off the corner well, and making it to the 2nd lvl. A more effective running game would, no doubt, make it easier for Stafford to be effective.

2) It gives Stafford another viable offensive threat. I know, that has been said almost every single time Petigrew has been mentioned, but it is important. A lot of attention has been given to Pettigrew's mediocre speed, and that he may not be able to stretch the defense like some TE stars, but he is a big target, and his numbers seem to show that he is tough to bring down after the catch. Most importantly, he seems to have sure hands. The emergence of Pettigew as a receiving threat will force other teams to account for him more than, say, michael gaines.

3) IF he shows himself as a force on the field, it could easily give Stafford more confidence. Not just confidence in Pettigrew, but confidence as a Quarterback. I don't see it as much of a stretch to think that it would only take a few 3rd and 10s where Stafford has to check down to Pettigrew for a 6 yard pass, just to see him break a few tackles for the first down, to help enforce his instincts as a football player. It is very important for a quarterback to trust in his teammates, and not simply trust his arm to fit the ball in the tiniest window to CJ everytime.

4) Goes along with the previous point. I also don't see it as too far off to think that having an upper tier TE could boost some of Stafford's stats, even if slightly. A few less forced throws for incompletions, a few more broken tackles for some YAC, could show up on the stat sheet at the end of the year. Big deal? That would not only give Stafford more confidence as a player, but also give sports freaks like us more ammo to be optimistic about Stafford (I think that aspect is a big deal, given the criticism of Detroit fans of Stafford already).

Why does Stafford need more confidence? What, is he a girly-man? He is the number 1 pick, but also an underclassman with the weight of a franchise on his shoulders. I don't see it as a statement that he can't handle it, but more as a statement that the head office wanted to put Stafford in the best position to succeed. Again, to protect their investment.

I think everyone can agree that the guys in charge think very highly of Pettigrew, and that is why they drafted him so highly. Whether or not they scouted well, is yet to be determined, but will certainly affect how I view this regimes ability to draft forever. We shall see.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090506/SPORTS0101/905060368/1126/sports0101/Brandon+Pettigrew+wants+to+be+great+TE

bilde?Site=C3&Date=20090506&Category=SPORTS0101&ArtNo=905060368&Ref=AR&Profile=1126&Q=100&MaxW=290&MaxH=290

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 .

Brandon Pettigrew wants to be great TE

Terry Foster / The Detroit News

Allen Park-- Brandon Pettigrew studies NFL tight ends.

He knows their every move. He knows what they enjoy doing and what they dislike.

It helps his game, because Pettigrew wants to be one of those versatile tight ends others talk about. He does not necessarily want to be the next Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, but if he sees something in their game, he will be certain to incorporate it.

The Lions are banking on Pettigrew to become a great slot receiver and blocker. They used the 20th pick of the first round to get him. Now he hopes to add a little of this and a little of that to complete his game.

Pettigrew, who grew up a Cowboys fans in Tyler, Texas, said his favorite tight end is Dallas Pro Bowler Jason Witten.

"He just plays hard," Pettigrew said. "I like people who play hard, whether it is blocking or running. He is not a blazer but he knows how to get open. He has great quickness and that quickness helps. I am not a blazer, either, but I try to use my quickness to my advantage."

Pettigrew, who was judged the most complete tight end in the draft, said he loves seeing what players do in the open field. He studies how guys get open. He watches how they set up linebackers and cornerbacks and makes mental notes for a time he is in that spot.

He is a low-key guy, but was not afraid to tell Oklahoma State coaches to run to his side because he believed he could open paths for the running game.

"If they are overloaded on the other side, why not?" Pettigrew said. "I am handling my guy. Why not? I am not a greedy player. I am a team player all the way."

Lions Hall of Fame tight end Charlie Sanders has taken a liking to Pettigrew. And Pettigrew has been put on notice Sanders plans to keep a close eye on him and make demands.

"(He) will not disrespect that position," Sanders said.

Pettigrew said he's looking forward to the challenge.

"I want to bring a light to that spot," Pettigrew said. "I want the position to shine. I don't want to be a one-way guy who just blocks or is just a receiver. I want to be that other big guy where people cannot just focus on Calvin Johnson. I want the defense to be like we got a receiver and a tight end to worry about."

terry.foster@detnews.com (313) 222-1494