RedRamage

DRAFT 1.1 QB Matthew Stafford

In the interest of consolidating discussion of each player, please use this thread to discuss the draft pick of the title.

Well, I'm not sure I'm for this pick... I think Curry could have made more of an immediate impact, but I hope, for all out sakes, that he ends up being a successful QB.

I will say this much: I've VERY happy that we have the deal done with before the Draft started. I'm glad we don't have to worry about any holding out.

Well, I'm not sure I'm for this pick... I think Curry could have made more of an immediate impact, but I hope, for all out sakes, that he ends up being a successful QB.

I will say this much: I've VERY happy that we have the deal done with before the Draft started. I'm glad we don't have to worry about any holding out.

Why do we need a player with immediate impact? This team is not going to compete next year.

Adding to this, I did want Curry, but still think Stafford was the way to go.

Why do we need a player with immediate impact? This team is not going to compete next year.

Don't need to get immediate impact... But given a 0-16 team, fans as a rule are gonna want to see progress. Stafford is more of a long term project.

I have a feeling we'll see immediate impact with Stafford's future weapon, and Kevin Smith's new best friend in Pettigrew.

Don't need to get immediate impact... But given a 0-16 team, fans as a rule are gonna want to see progress. Stafford is more of a long term project.

would you rather have them improve a little bit next year or improve a lot in the future?

I think they picked the right guy, though I'm not thrilled with the guaranteed money either. Still if you're gonna spend it I'd rather spend it on a QB than a LB.

Had to pick Stafford. I loved Curry but ya cant take an OLB whose strength is speed on the edge make him a MLB asking him to cover the deep middle and pay him 30 million. And the tackles just werent 1 overall tackles. My biggest regret with this selection is that we had 1 overall this season and not last year or next year or just about any year but this one.

I'm for it, and I'd go with the Troy Aikman rebuilding plan 10 out of 10 times and our oline and supporting cast will be better than his first year was, next year.

from ESPN:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-10-150/Explaining-the-Lions--infatuation.html

Lions coach Jim Schwartz called Stafford's throwing motion "classic," which we've heard from many people. Schwartz noted Stafford's ability to step in as a freshman starter at an SEC school. General manager Martin Mayhew said Stafford convinced him by "the way he carried himself" and "how smart he was about the game."

But the most telling explanation I heard came when Schwartz related how Stafford performed during a spring film session. Here's how Schwartz put it:

"We said, 'Before we start watching this game and you start talking us through it, why don't you tell us a little about the game?' He started saying, 'Oh I remember this. The first play of the game we wanted to take a shot. We went 'Twins right demon' and threw an 18-yard pass over the right side.'

"And he started talking through the whole game extemporaneously. We didn't tell him we were going to watch that game. It reminded me of golfers who can tell you every shot they made in a game. We actually had high school film of him when he was here for his visit. He could tell me everything that was getting ready to happen in those games. That kind of recall, that kind of intelligence, was the thing that was most interesting."

would you rather have them improve a little bit next year or improve a lot in the future?

Anything to avoid having a #1 pick again next year and having another cap hit.

I'm for it, and I'd go with the Troy Aikman rebuilding plan 10 out of 10 times and our oline and supporting cast will be better than his first year was, next year.

The first three rds of the Aikman draft for the Cowboys:

1 1 Troy Aikman QB UCLA

2 29 Steve Wisniewski G Penn State

2 39 Daryl Johnston RB Syracuse

3 57 Mark Stepnoski C Pittsburgh

3 68 Rhondy Weston DE Florida

not saying that's what the Lions needed to do.

I've been sold on Stafford since February and I am very pleased with his selection. The money was kind of ridiciculous, but that's just the nature of the business at this point.

But, we have a big guy with a big arm who played in a pro offense and is very cerebral and intelligent by all accounts. I'm sold that he is going to be a very good quarterback for us. Hopefully, we'll continue to surround him with talent on the offensive line to make his job a little easier.

I hope there is a stub OL in the top 10 for us next year, I wasn't totally sold on Oher, since a lot of people were pegging him as a better RT.

I hope there is a stub OL in the top 10 for us next year, I wasn't totally sold on Oher, since a lot of people were pegging him as a better RT.

Russell Okung out of Oklahoma State looks like he's going to be a good one.

Russell Okung out of Oklahoma State looks like he's going to be a good one.

There we go!

Again out of Ok. St! I'm liking the orange cowboys!

We haven't had problems drafting a guy from that college yet! (although lets hope Pettigrew doesn't jinx it.)

Not an OT, but I really like Brandon Spikes out of Florida for next year's draft too. He's going to be a very good ILB for some NFL team.

Jay Cutler 2.0?

That seems to be the most common comparison and it seems pretty accurate. They had comparable college careers in the SEC, similar size, both are regarded as very intelligent, and they both have cannons for arms. If Stafford can take care of the ball better than Cutler (Cutler averages an INT per game), he will be a top-ten QB. Can't really complain about that.

I'm okay with the player. I hate the cap hit of taking a QB #1.

Yeah, maybe we can get someone that can throw to the 500 WR we have drafted.biggrin.gif

I don't get the "Diva" feeling from Stafford I get from Cutler.

To be fair, Cutler didn't seem like a "diva" coming into the draft either. He was from Vanderbilt and had the "good ol' boy" reputation. It wasn't until this offseason that Cutler got that reputation.

To be fair, Cutler didn't seem like a "diva" coming into the draft either. He was from Vanderbilt and had the "good ol' boy" reputation. It wasn't until this offseason that Cutler got that reputation.

I have always heard about his diva tendencies.