vannzee

DAY ONE *** Draft Day Discussion *** DAY ONE

Id go 4 the San Jose DT, S. Carolina OT, ILB from S. Carolina, or CB from Vandy with the 1st pick of the 3rd round, and try to get those other guys @ the 18th pick in the 3rd...

Priority is OT,DT, ILB, CB imo

I think a dude named Jasper is frickin fantastic, and I hope we draft him so I can say his name with a couuuuuuntry twang..lol

Id go 4 the San Jose DT, S. Carolina OT, or CB from Vandy with the 1st pick of the 3rd round, and try to get those other guys @ the 18th pick in the 3rd...

Priority is OT,DT,CB imo

What about MLB? You're cool with Dizon or God forbid... Paris Lenon?

Top remaining players=

Michael Johnson DE GA TECH

I saw a lot of mock drafts with him going around the top 10. It looks like he's got the prototypical pass rusher's physical tools, but not necessarily the motivation to dominate. Still, if you count sacks, tackles for loss, forced fumbles, and blocked kicks as game changing plays, he had 22 game changing plays in his senior season over 11 games; 13 in his junior season over 13 games; and 14 in his sophomore season over 12 games. That seems like pretty good production from someone whose motor has been questioned.

His college statistics are as follows:

Freshman: Played in 11 games played with none started and had five solo tackles with one assist. Johnson had one tackle for a loss and one sack with one forced fumble.

Sophomore: Played in 12 games starting one. He had 25 solo tackles with nine assists. He had six tackles for a loss, five sacks, three fumbles forced and two pass breakups.

Junior: Played in 13 games starting one and had 21 total tackles with 11 solo and ten assisted. Johnson had six tackles for a loss four sacks, three forced fumbles, one recovered fumble and two pass breakups.

Senior: 11 games played with 36 total tackles, 23 solo and 13 assisted. He has 13 tackles for a loss, six sacks, six passes broken up and six defended with one fumble recovered, two forced and one kick blocked.

In terms of injury, Johnson has missed some time due to injury which has raised some questions about his toughness and ability to play with pain. Johnson will have to prove he can do this when the scouts come calling before the draft. If he can prove his durability and have great workouts, it’s very possible that he could go in the first round somewhere between ten and 32 or even higher with great workouts.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/michael_johnson.htm

I give the Dolphins draft an A-.

Awesome! One thing about Parcells. He knows how to draft well, and he has proven that with the Patriots and the Jets when he was there.

Awesome! One thing about Parcells. He knows how to draft well, and he has proven that with the Patriots and the Jets when he was there.

Part of me wonders if he took Pat WHite just cause everyone KNEW the Cowboys wanted him.

I wish Mike Martz ran the Vikings offense.

Could you imagine what he can do with Harvin, Berrian, Adrian Peterson, and Tarvaris Jackson?

Could you imagine what he can do with Harvin, Berrian, Adrian Peterson, and Tarvaris Jackson?

He could watch Tavaris Jackson throw interceptions, just like the current offensive coordinator does.

Tavaris is keeping the Vikings out of the Super Bowl.

I wish Mike Martz ran the vikings offense too. Then they could waste Peterson's talent and the QB would get knocked down more than a bowling pin on league night

Maybe you are right, Buddha. Thing is Martz has gotten everything out of guys like Warner, Bulger, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jon Kitna, Shaun Hill, and all. He gets quarterbacks to overachieve. As a Vikings fan, I really wanted him to run the Vikings' offense this year. Maybe he would have failed with Jackson, but he may have done alright with Sage Rosenfels.

Martz's offense can't be worse than Childress' kick-*** offense.

Maybe you are right, Buddha. Thing is Martz has gotten everything out of guys like Warner, Bulger, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jon Kitna, Shaun Hill, and all. He gets quarterbacks to overachieve. As a Vikings fan, I really wanted him to run the Vikings' offense this year. Maybe he would have failed with Jackson, but he may have done alright with Sage Rosenfels.

Martz's offense can't be worse than Childress' kick-*** offense.

It's hard to get worse than Brad Childress.

So what do you think of the draft so far Cruzer? I'm trying to like it but the thought of Paris Lenon or Jordon Dizon starting @ MLB next year has me a bit perplexed.

Do you think Brinkley or Mckillop could be effective starters?

Absolutely, Brinkley and McKillop could be run stoppers the Lions need in the middle; as effective as Maualuga or Laurinaitis. It will only be a two down gig, so it's not a huge job to cover. I can also see the Lions drafting T.J. Lang of EMU; they had him in, and like him for LG I bet.

Of course, I love the Stafford pick, especially the fact they signed him. I wish Pettigrew was a little faster, but I think he'll be effective enough, and hopefully will be on the field during all downs. The game I saw Delmas play (vs. Central) I wasn't crazy about how deep they were playing him, so I didn't have a chance to give him a fair evaluation.

Keith Bullock.

Quick, who was the titans best defensive player last year? Albert Haynesworth? what position does he play?

I would say it was Finnegan

Id go 4 the San Jose DT, S. Carolina OT, ILB from S. Carolina, or CB from Vandy with the 1st pick of the 3rd round, and try to get those other guys @ the 18th pick in the 3rd...

Priority is OT,DT, ILB, CB imo

I think a dude named Jasper is frickin fantastic, and I hope we draft him so I can say his name with a couuuuuuntry twang..lol

Its even better because he has a twin brother named Casper, I think he made the panthers last year

From Don Banks at SI.com:

• The jury may still be a long way out on Stafford, but the Lions just got a whole lot better with Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew and Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas coming on board with Detroit's picks at No. 20 and 33. Lions head coach Jim Schwartz has told anyone who will listen that his team needs to get bigger and more physical. Pettigrew and Delmas are great steps in that direction.

I respect Don Banks and his snap judgements more than anyone else on the web.

On the plus side:

The Lions drafted the consensus best player at three different positions: QB, TE and S. The TE can help in the running game and the S can help in stopping the run.

On the negative side:

They didn't do anything to address glaring needs on along the offensive and defensive lines or at middle linebacker.

On the plus side:

The Lions drafted the consensus best player at three different positions: QB, TE and S. The TE can help in the running game and the S can help in stopping the run.

On the negative side:

They didn't do anything to address glaring needs on along the offensive and defensive lines or at middle linebacker.

perfectly said. Nothing more or less than that

On the plus side:

On the negative side:

Pretty much what I thought. I love Stafford, Pettigrew, and Delmas as players and am going to enjoy them on the Lions. However, we still don't have a MLB or a lineman and I am wondering who the hell are going to be playing those positions for us.

Though this is a better feeling than in the Millen era when I hated most of the picks if not all of them. Though, I will say I liked 2008's draft sans Dizon.

Pretty nice day for the Lions. I dont like Matt Stafford, but understand why they did it. Love the Pettigrew and Delmas picks.

Schwartz also said that QB is the most important position on the field and the team needed to replace Bobby Layne. Stafford gives the team the best prospect in this year's draft (and possibly next year's draft as well) of replacing Bobby Layne.

Had the Lions drafted Curry and Peria Jerry, for instance, there's a good chance they'd still lose 16 games, just by scores like 22-17 instead of 32-17 (which was the team's actual average PA-PF last season). Stafford gives you a possible franchise QB; a healthy Culpepper reunited with Scott Linehan gives you a bridge to the future and the hope of an effective deep passing game with Calvin Johnson; Brandon Pettigrew gives you a dangerous target on 3rd and 7 and a dominating blocker for 3rd and 3; and like Schwartz said in his press conference this evening of Delmas: "He's a vacuum cleaner, he vacuums up all those runs that break the line of scrimmage.'' (And given the sad state of the front seven there will be lots of runs that break the line of scrimmage.)

And one guy on defense moves us from 32 to maybe 31. Face it,they blew another one.

After taking stafford they should've gotten a left tackle to protect him. Then gotten an lb instead of a safety. That would've made sense. The potential for this to be a good draft ended at pettigrew. May as well had millen picking...the song remains the same.

And one guy on defense moves us from 32 to maybe 31. Face it' date='they blew another one.

After taking stafford they should've gotten a left tackle to protect him. Then gotten an lb instead of a safety. That would've made sense. The potential for this to be a good draft ended at pettigrew. May as well had millen picking...the song remains the same.[/quote']

Well Oher was thought of as a guy that is probably a RT and Pettigrew is a TE which means he will be blocking for Stafford.

What I wanted to see the Lions do was all thrown out the window with the first selection of the draft. I wanted defense and I wanted to see the potential of getting three quality starting defensive players with our first four picks. That's not going to happen. And right now it looks like only one of those starters can even be on the line, at MLB or at a corner spot. That doesn't thrill me. But at least at 5:46 a.m. this morning, I can look at these selections and see what this team was thinking when it made those picks. If you go back 365 days at this time or 2 years or three years back at this time, my posts expressed a clearly different impression. I was more confused than excited about most of what the Lions had done, wondering if they had much of a clue. Today, while upset with the direction they went, I can see they made reasonable picks at reasonable times in the draft in terms of their talent and where they were selected. There are no Alma-Francis "we picked this guy way too early" selections here. Conversely, all three of these guys were very high on their position draft boards.

When it became apparent Stafford was going to be the first selection, it forced the team's hand to have to give him a supporting cast around him. And that was going to mean another high pick on Saturday on the offense. The Lions couldn't justify making the Stafford pick, knowing he's probably going to start by the season's midpoint, without doing making such a move. Otherwise they are sending him to the wolves and increasing his chance of failure. You can't do that to someone that you have invested what they have in him. To their credit the Lions' organization realized that (something they wouldn't have in the past). I would've liked a lineman, but they get a tight end that's apparently the best in the draft and loves blocking. So he should do the trick in two respects.

Again, I still think defense was the way to go in this draft and I think the direction they've gone with this draft has neglected that unit once again. I say this seemingly every year and last season the team had one of the three worst defenses in NFL history. Entering the second day of the draft, I fear for it again this year.

What I wanted to see the Lions do was all thrown out the window with the first selection of the draft. I wanted defense and I wanted to see the potential of getting three quality starting defensive players with our first four picks. That's not going to happen. And right now it looks like only one of those starters can even be on the line, at MLB or at a corner spot. That doesn't thrill me. But at least at 5:46 a.m. this morning, I can look at these selections and see what this team was thinking when it made those picks. If you go back 365 days at this time or 2 years or three years back at this time, my posts expressed a clearly different impression. I was more confused than excited about most of what the Lions had done, wondering if they had much of a clue. Today, while upset with the direction they went, I can see they made reasonable picks at reasonable times in the draft in terms of their talent and where they were selected. There are no Alma-Francis "we picked this guy way too early" selections here. Conversely, all three of these guys were very high on their position draft boards.

When it became apparent Stafford was going to be the first selection, it forced the team's hand to have to give him a supporting cast around him. And that was going to mean another high pick on Saturday on the offense. The Lions couldn't justify making the Stafford pick, knowing he's probably going to start by the season's midpoint, without doing making such a move. Otherwise they are sending him to the wolves and increasing his chance of failure. You can't do that to someone that you have invested what they have in him. To their credit the Lions' organization realized that (something they wouldn't have in the past). I would've liked a lineman, but they get a tight end that's apparently the best in the draft and loves blocking. So he should do the trick in two respects.

Again, I still think defense was the way to go in this draft and I think the direction they've gone with this draft has neglected that unit once again. I say this seemingly every year and last season the team had one of the three worst defenses in NFL history. Entering the second day of the draft, I fear for it again this year.

Good analysis. You can at least see their thought process. Good point. I made comments yesterday that I can't believe with this team that we drafted a QB, TE, and a safety. It's laughable to me. This team needs girth and toughness. We have to go d-line or o-line with the first pick today. We better not go DJ Moore. The guy is small and soft. We have to make move that will allow us to stop a basic running play at some point.