vannzee

DAY ONE *** Draft Day Discussion *** DAY ONE

I was surprised with every pick after 1 from Detroit, but I really like what they did in hindsight. I thought for certain that we would take Rey or Oher at 20. We now know that Rey apparently has huge red flags due to the way he was treated by quality franchises. I think Schwartz simply kept to his word and really did drafted the best player.

I am interested to see how tomorrow goes.

When Oher and Curry have 20 combined pro-bowls under their belts and we have an average TE without a QB to throw him the ball I think we'll be mad we paid any attention to the draft today.

1st pick in the 3rd round wishlist:

-Jarron Gilbert

-Michael Johnson

-Jasper Brinkley

-Scott Mckillop

I don't think Delmas was the best player available when we took him but I do think he is the best player for the Lions.

I don't normally put too much stock into the second day of the draft because the Lions typically do nothing with their picks anyways but I do think they have a chance to get two contributors in the third round tomorrow and those picks are huge for us tomorrow. Based on what they did today, I am really excited about the potential for tomorrow.

When Oher and Curry have 2 combined pro-bowls under their belts and we have a 6 Pro-Bowl TE with a monster QB throwing TD's to him and CJ by the boatloads, I think we'll be ecstatic we paid so much attention to the draft today.

Fixed that for ya.

Seattle better hope that Curry ends up better then Peterson, because as it looks now that's not the case.

Josh McDaniels does not look confident at all.

is that supposed to be confident or competent?

Fixed that for ya.

Thanks 84 lives! Sometimes the negativity gets to be a lot to deal with. It seems that no matter what the Detroit Pro teams do... it is all wrong and going to blowup for some folks.....

ESPN Sportsnation polling, to get a pulse for what the nation is thinking (I bolded my selections):

Question #1:

"Which player were you most surprised to see go undrafted in the first round?"

Total votes: 22,951

70% --- Rey Maualuga, LB

15% --- James Laurinaitis, LB

10% --- Everette Brown, DE

3% --- Eben Britton, OT

2% --- Louis Delmas, S

All 50 states + international agreed on this. In Michigan, Maualuga got 78% of the vote. In Ohio, Laurinaitis got 29% of the vote.

Question #2:

"Which was the better pick?"

Total votes: 29,782

65% --- Michael Crabtree to 49ers at #10

35% --- Mark Sanchez to Jets at #5

All 50 states + international agreed on this. In Michigan, Crabtree got 67% of the vote. In California, he got 70%. In New York, he got 51%. In New Jersey, he got 53%. In Texas, he got 73%.

Question #3:

"Which was the more head scratching pick for the Raiders?"

Total votes: 642

66% --- Derrius Howard-Bey in 2009

34% --- Sebastian Janikowski in 2000

There haven't been alot of votes here and Alaska has had no votes at all. Michigan had the 2009 pick at 62%. Cali had him at 71%. Maryland at 75%. Idaho, AZ, NM, and MS all had Janikowski as the worst pick.

Question #4:

"Did the Jets give up too much to get Mark Sanchez?"

Total votes: 11,199

51% --- Yes

49% --- No

Most states are "yes" or neutral. MI is neutral, split 50/50. NY is 58% no, and NJ is 59% no. OH is 57% yes. CA is 53% no. Other states voting no were NV, WY, ND, Arkansas, IN, KY, TN, NC, and SC.

Question #5:

"In five years, Matthew Stafford will be........"

Total votes: 26,070

54% --- An established Starter

23% --- A struggling Starter

13% --- A Pro Bowl Quarterback

10% --- Backing up the Starter

All 50 states + international agreed on this. MI voted in the same order but with different percentages (44/24/17/15). GA voted 49 for established, 26 for Pro Bowl, 17 for struggling, and 9 for back-up.

Question #6:

"How does OT Jason Smith compare to last year's #1, Jake Long?"

Total votes: 14,921

47% --- As good

31% --- Worse

21% --- Better

48 states + international agreed on this. The two dissenting states were Michigan and Vermont, which each voted "worse". MI voted 61 worse, 31 as good, 7 better. MO voted 48 as good, 31 better, 21 worse. TX voted 49 as good, 30 better, 21 worse.

Question #7:

"Do you believe Michael Oher when he says he will play in the NFL for 10 years?"

Total votes: 9,720

77% --- Yes

23% --- No

All 50 states + international agreed on this. MI voted 79% yes. MS voted 78% yes. MD voted 83% yes.

Question #8:

"Which Super Bowl Team made the better first round pick?"

Total votes: 1,081

68% --- Beanie Wells to Steelers

32% --- Ziggy Hood to Cardinals

Again, not alot of votes here, but most of the nation agrees that its the Steelers. AZ, UT, NE, IA, and AL are the dissenting states, with KY, MS, NV, ID, and WY neutral. MI voted 68% Steelers. OH voted 71% Steelers. PA voted 72% Steelers. AZ voted 63% Cardinals. MO voted 56% Steelers.

I think there might be a reasonable chance to make a trade or two in the third round with any of the teams looking to pickup the second teir of TE's.

For us, I like Duke Robinson G, Jarron Gilbert DE and DJ Moore CB.

Not necessarily in that order

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtk1210

When Oher and Curry have 2 combined pro-bowls under their belts and we have a 6 Pro-Bowl TE with a monster QB throwing TD's to him and CJ by the boatloads, I think we'll be ecstatic we paid so much attention to the draft today.

Fixed that for ya.

My bad. Thanks.

What happened to all the talk about getting strong on defense and running the ball?

This draft is another in the long series of busts that the lie-ons deliver.

0-32 anyone?

As for tomorrow, and the 65th pick, that's usually a great spot to trade down from. As far as best players available, T.J. Lang of EMU, Jesper Brinkley, Jarron Gilbert, Scott McKillop, and Jason Phillips are all candidates for the Lions. Also, many are wondering why they didn't select a MLB in the first two rounds. Value is the reason. Rey and Laurinaitis fell since they are just run stoppers, and leave the field on third down. That's not getting alot for such a high pick, when the Lions need players on all downs. That's why Pettigrew/Delmas make sense.

As for tomorrow, and the 65th pick, that's usually a great spot to trade down from. As far as best players available, T.J. Lang of EMU, Jesper Brinkley, Jarron Gilbert, Scott McKillop, and Jason Phillips are all candidates for the Lions. Also, many are wondering why they didn't select a MLB in the first two rounds. Value is the reason. Rey and Laurinaitis fell since they are just run stoppers, and leave the field on third down. That's not getting alot for such a high pick, when the Lions need players on all downs. That's why Pettigrew/Delmas make sense.

So what do you think of the draft so far Cruzer? I'm trying to like it but the thought of Paris Lenon or Jordon Dizon starting @ MLB next year has me a bit perplexed.

Do you think Brinkley or Mckillop could be effective starters?

What a crazy draft, I can't say I'm shocked by any of our picks, but they were unexpected that's for sure. I like the fact that we got the 3 best players at their respective positions. Best QB, best TE, best S...makes sense to me.

I'd like to see interior line help and a MLB in round three.

Also, many are wondering why they didn't select a MLB in the first two rounds. Value is the reason. Rey and Laurinaitis fell since they are just run stoppers, and leave the field on third down. That's not getting alot for such a high pick, when the Lions need players on all downs. That's why Pettigrew/Delmas make sense.

Excellent point.

I'm sure no one is still reading these but I LOVED the Pettigrew Pick, been asking for it for months now.

Never had a Tight end in my life time. Swartz comes from a team that uses Tight Ends a lot. And I think the las time we drafted an Oklahoma St Player in the first round he was pretty good.

Top remaining players=

Name Position School

D.J. Moore CB VANDERBILT

Rashad Johnson S ALABAMA

Cornelius Ingram TE FLORIDA

Lawrence Sidbury DE RICHMOND

Shawn Nelson TE SO MISS

Jared Cook TE S CAROLINA

Michael Johnson DE GA TECH

Jarron Gilbert DT SAN JOSE ST

Shonn Greene RB IOWA

Jamon Meredith OT S CAROLINA

Had a wedding to go to today, so I'm here catching up. Love the Stafford pick. Like the Delmas pick. Not a big fan of the Pettigrew pick, mostly because I think he would have fallen into Round 2. Would have liked to have seen us get Jerry, Maualuga or Oher - even Laurinitis would've been okay. Oh well - on to Day 2.

What happened to all the talk about getting strong on defense and running the ball?

This draft is another in the long series of busts that the lie-ons deliver.

0-32 anyone?

Schwartz also said that QB is the most important position on the field and the team needed to replace Bobby Layne. Stafford gives the team the best prospect in this year's draft (and possibly next year's draft as well) of replacing Bobby Layne.

Had the Lions drafted Curry and Peria Jerry' date=' for instance, there's a good chance they'd still lose 16 games, just by scores like 22-17 instead of 32-17 (which was the team's actual average PA-PF last season). Stafford gives you a possible franchise QB; a healthy Culpepper reunited with Scott Linehan gives you a bridge to the future and the hope of an effective deep passing game with Calvin Johnson; Brandon Pettigrew gives you a dangerous target on 3rd and 7 and a dominating blocker for 3rd and 3; and like Schwartz said in his press conference this evening of Delmas: "He's a vacuum cleaner, he vacuums up all those runs that break the line of scrimmage.'' (And given the sad state of the front seven there will be lots of runs that break the line of scrimmage.)