vannzee

DAY ONE *** Draft Day Discussion *** DAY ONE

With so many draft threads, I think that today and tomorrow, this will be helpful to discuss the draft. Maybe not just the Lions picks but the other happenings.

Mark Sanchez has a plane ticket to St. Louis, will they take him number 2?

Anquan Boldin doesnt look to be traded by the end of the draft, but Brady Quinn and Glenn Dorsey may be.

Whose the faller of the draft? I say Percy Harvin.

One hour until it begins.

I read that the Chiefs offered the 3rd pick for the Lions' 20 + second rounder and the Lions shot it down. I just read that the Lions offered that same trade and the Chiefs turned it down.

Any idea what's going down with this?

I read that the Chiefs offered the 3rd pick for the Lions' 20 + second rounder and the Lions shot it down. I just read that the Lions offered that same trade and the Chiefs turned it down.

Utterly ridiculous if they indeed shot that initial offer down. Let's hope it's BS simply so my blood pressure remains normal.

Havent heard this, either way it was turned down. Boy, that would be very tempting to do if the Cheifs did offer it. Yeah, your losing picks but you would be getting another top five pick and the chance to get Curry. 2 of the top 5 players isnt bad.

If Glenn Dorsey is on the block, he could fill a need.

ugh! Two top 5 picks? lets just blow up the salary cap!

It doesn't make a lot of sense from the Lions perspective. One top five pick is salary cap purgatory, wouldn't two make it salary cap hell? Two rookies making more than anyone else on the team.

That being said, Curry and Stafford should would be awesome cornerstones to build each unit on.

I got it from the PFT twitter (the one about the Lions offering the trade), but they just re-tweeted and said it was wrong and that the Chiefs were the ones to offer it. Saw that on rotoworld too.

Nicely put regarding the salary cap. That perspective certainly wasn't on my mind.

Utterly ridiculous if they indeed shot that initial offer down. Let's hope it's BS simply so my blood pressure remains normal.

Too much money would probably be why they declined. If they drafted Curry he would demand same amount of money in the deal they had in place for #1. He would simply say you wwere willing to give me $60million then so why not now. They can't afford that with economy. To have 130+ wrapped up for two players is stupid

Ya, everything I've read is that Detroit can't do it financially.

I still think its worth the risk to get two of the guys you were considering with the number one overall pick. Theres been grumblings that for the next CBA that the players association will demand that the salary cap be removed.

Too much money would probably be why they declined. If they drafted Curry he would demand same amount of money in the deal they had in place for #1. He would simply say you wwere willing to give me $60million then so why not now. They can't afford that with economy. To have 130+ wrapped up for two players is stupid

Curry was willing to sign for rest and doesnt seem to want top dollar, but I do get your point.

Had the Lions made that trade however, they would not have cash tied up in the second first rounder at 20 or in a second round player.

Curry was willing to sign for rest and doesnt seem to want top dollar, but I do get your point.

Had the Lions made that trade however, they would not have cash tied up in the second first rounder at 20 or in a second round player.

the players they draft at #20 and #333 salaries combined wont even come close to a player at #3.

Last year Ryan got $72million. Obviously more than what they would pay for Cuury at three though beacuse he is a QB.

Agib Talib CB got $20 million at #20 last yr

Dont care enough to find pick 33 but last pick of first round last yr at 31 got 11.15 million total.

Bottomline, #3 is more than double the money than #20 and #33 combined.

http://proathletesonly.com/news/front-office/2008-nfl-draft-first-round-selections-contract-terms/

My brother just texted me so I don't have a link. I think he said Pro Sports.com or something or another. The Chiefs and Lions apparently have dragged the Jets into things. From what he said we would give KC our #20 and #33, they would give us their 3rd overall and a 4th rounder and we give the Jet's the #3 for #17 overall and David Harris. Don't know if there is any validity to it though. I'd jump on it:classic:

Based on 2,500 votes thus far on ESPN, it is expected that Mark Sanchez will have the better pro career than Matt Stafford. 58% to 42%.

Bold. When did this line of thinking begin? I never even put Sanchez in the same category.

17th and David Harris coming out of that? 17th and 20th arnt huge differences but Id love to have Harris.

Based on 2,500 votes thus far on ESPN, it is expected that Mark Sanchez will have the better pro career than Matt Stafford. 58% to 42%.

Bold. When did this line of thinking begin? I never even put Sanchez in the same category.

Alot of it could be the recent media hype that has been over Sanchez or the fact that USC has such a large fan base.

I love JETS fans. The are going over the 1983 draft and when the announcement of Ken O'Brian there is a clear "NOOOO!" when he said the JETS were talking a quarterback.

I love JETS fans. The are going over the 1983 draft and when the announcement of Ken O'Brian there is a clear "NOOOO!" when he said the JETS were talking a quarterback.

The greatest video ever

Well I thought both quarterbacks were about equal in general. It's just that each works better in a different offense. Sanchez is a WCO type of quarterback and Stafford is the vertical passer.

That said, ever since Stafford has been the leading pick for the Lions there is only one "elite" QB prospect. It's a supply and demand hype machine.

I think Crabtee falls the furthest...if you accept the premise that he was a top five guy to begin with

I think Crabtee falls the furthest...if you accept the premise that he was a top five guy to begin with

I dont know, theres too many teams needing wideouts. But I saw that both the Browns and Rams said he acted like too much of a diva.

It will be intresting to see if Wells or Moreno fall.