LineCrosser

Birkett says it's nearly a done deal...

I could live with a Stafford/Pettigrew/Brace/Robinson/Brinkley draft.

If we took Stafford I could live with that. I love Pettigrew. Oher is the only other guy that if he was there at #20 I'd want to take. If we take Stafford #1, #20 almost has to be either Pettigrew or a LT, to me.

I have also basically heard Stafford is the #1 guy. Mayhew told Rachel Nichols that negotiations are going well with Stafford. To me that means he's their #1 with Curry as the fall back.

I think if Stafford doesn't sign by tomorrow at some point during the day, they'll sign Curry. Like others have said, Stafford would be dumb to not sign with the Lions even if it's for the same or slightly more than Ryan last year. The reason why is Ryan was able to come in day 1 and contribute. Stafford won't. He has to accept that as part of getting the money he's going to.

I think Detroit is going to try to keep Stafford in the $35 million range or less or they're just going to go with Curry. Just my gut feeling from a business standpoint.

But if you don't address the offense surrounding him this year, then how is he any better next year? He's still that QB with a year of experience still waiting for the pieces around him to develop.

Free agency and the draft next year, where we'll probably still have a pick better than the 20th we'll have as our second pick this year.

Free agency and the draft next year, where we'll probably still have a pick better than the 20th we'll have as our second pick this year.

Also, the Lions have alot of talent at WR, and at RB which will help the process.

Don't forget we get the first choice of players coming off the waiver wire too.

If we took Stafford I could live with that. I love Pettigrew. Oher is the only other guy that if he was there at #20 I'd want to take. If we take Stafford #1, #20 almost has to be either Pettigrew or a LT, to me.

Taking an OT at 20 -- who may or may not an upgrade over Backus and Cherilus -- even though we had one of the worst defenses in the history of football last season seems suicidal. Reaching for a guy like Britton or Beatty there would make absolutely no sense when we still have no MLBs on the roster and have a huge need at DT. I get that we won't be able to fill all our needs in one draft. But we need to be able to fill enough to play competitive football games this year. Our defense is not able to do that at this point.

-Tony

What I do like is how the Lions have targeted the two guys they want and have apparently set it up in a way they will get one of the two before the official start of the draft.

I can't believe I am saying this but, I absolutely love the way the Lions are handling this.

Me too.

Curry or Stafford at a better price.

Taking an OT at 20 -- who may or may not an upgrade over Backus and Cherilus -- even though we had one of the worst defenses in the history of football last season seems suicidal. Reaching for a guy like Britton or Beatty there would make absolutely no sense when we still have no MLBs on the roster and have a huge need at DT. I get that we won't be able to fill all our needs in one draft. But we need to be able to fill enough to play competitive football games this year. Our defense is not able to do that at this point.

-Tony

The reason I like Pettigrew or Oher at #20 is we can still get Laurinaitis at #33 most likely still. I like him more than I like Maualuga.

I know we'd need a DT still. There are a few guys that I liked that seem like they're supposed to be there come the third round. DT is probably the position I know the absolute least about and what makes a good prospect vs. an OK one. I know we need a big guy. I've read Scott and Taylor should both be there come the third round. They both had poor Senior seasons, but prior to that, they both were rated quite highly as far as I know. I'm not sure if DT is considered weaker in this class than MLB.

-Tony

I agree. I don't see the point in Britten or Beatty at #20. The only way I would take an OT at #20 is if one of Oher or Smith fall that far. And even if that were the case, it might be better for the Lions to trade down at that point because someone will probably want to get one of those two.

Britten looks like another Backus to me; ok, but not great. They have other, more pressing needs.

I can't believe I am saying this but, I absolutely love the way the Lions are handling this.

I do too. I like that they're pretty such said publically we have a deal done with Curry. If you cannot agree to what we want by Friday Stafford/Condon, we're more than prepared to go with Curry.

For the first time in a long time, even if you don't like the possible direction it seems you can at least respect the decision. How the Lions got to a point where you just hoped the decision seemed to make sense for about a five-year period is a mystery, but already I can say I have a better feel about this front office than the past one. But, like I already hinted at, having Cruzer, Buddha, me and you in the same front office probably could've done that as well. :classic:.

But it certainly is a step in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see with the rest of this offseason we are able to see a well thought plan that they tried to incorporate for it. There seems to be one. We may not all end up agreeing with it, but I don't think it'll be to the levels of bewilderment that you could disagree with as with the recent past. At the time there were so many moves that didn't make any sense - and looking back at them they look even worse. It's too early to say it's a great front office or even just a capable one, but I do see signs that this could be the case - and that's refreshing.

Britten looks like another Backus to me; ok, but not great. They have other, more pressing needs.

I don't think Britton is an option. I believe he's been projected as a RT due to slow feet. I wouldn't want to reach for Beatty at #20 either. We did that with Gosder last year when Otah was still out there. Still think Detroit was an idiot for not taking that guy. I know I had Otah far ahead of Gosder.

I just hope our fans have more class than philly fans and we dont have a mcnabb type reaction when they cut to our draft party on tv

I hope they just wait and draft an OT next year.

Do you know if the OT's are supposedly better next year? Is it going to be like the last couple of years where there has been at least 1-2 truely elite LT prospects? I'm honestly asking as I certainly don't start looking that far ahead at lineman. Usually only look at skill positions that far ahead.

I just hope our fans have more class than philly fans and we dont have a mcnabb type reaction when they cut to our draft party on tv

Doubtful. I wouldn't be booing. Wouldn't be excited if it's Stafford, but I'll give him a fair shot to prove me wrong before I start booing him.

Doubtful. I wouldn't be booing. Wouldn't be excited if it's Stafford, but I'll give him a fair shot to prove me wrong before I start booing him.

Stafford will get booed if he's picked. A large portion of the Lions' fan base does not want him.

Do you know if the OT's are supposedly better next year? Is it going to be like the last couple of years where there has been at least 1-2 truely elite LT prospects? I'm honestly asking as I certainly don't start looking that far ahead at lineman. Usually only look at skill positions that far ahead.

I don't have the slightest clue. But the impression I get is that this year's crop isn't all that good, relatively speaking. Jason Smith is no Jake Long (or even Joe Thomas) from what I hear. There are always going to be a couple solid OTs in any draft, and I imagine the Lions will have another top 5 pick next year so I think they can maximize the talent that they draft this year and next by going with Curry/Stafford at #1 and BPA (some front 7 defensive player) with picks 20 and 33. Then next year, with their high pick, they can get an OT that isn't a reach. It seems like drafting an OT at 20 this year would be a reach, and at 33 there would be little left. I guess it all depends on the team has the players rated. I just don't think they have any of the OTs expected to be available at 20 as deserving of being picked that high.

Stafford will get booed if he's picked. A large portion of the Lions' fan base does not want him.

But at that point he is a Lion, why start out booing your player? The last 2 extremely pissed off fan bases I remember were philly and houston, hope this one turns out with similar results

I don't think Britton is an option. I believe he's been projected as a RT due to slow feet. I wouldn't want to reach for Beatty at #20 either. We did that with Gosder last year when Otah was still out there. Still think Detroit was an idiot for not taking that guy. I know I had Otah far ahead of Gosder.

I wouldn't say he's got slow feet...he's more big legged. He's got shorter arms, so I think he'd be ideal at LG, which to me is the 2nd most vital position on the OL. They have to go against 3-technique dt's, which is no small chore.

I'm a Lions fan, and if they really believe he'll be a star, then I'll trust them[/

I'm a fan too but let's not go that far! :wink:

Personally I think Curry is the best player in this draft but I don't think the Lions can afford to pass on Stafford. They should be able to pick up a solid OT and LB with their 2nd and 3rd picks.

If Stafford inks...

How would we set up our draft board ONLY for the #20 and #33 picks? I'm taking this as those players that have a CHANCE to fall to those spots, and then ranking them according to BPA/ need.

At #20, I'm guessing my board would be like:

Maualuga

Pettigrew

Butler

Oher

Hood

Mack

At #33, I'm guessing my board would be like:

Mack

Beatty

Alphonso Smith

Moala

Brace

??? (I won't have Laurinaitus on my board if Schwartz thinks he is a bad fit for his 4-3. If Schwartz likes him, I would have him just above/ or below... Mack, I think? Obviously I don't have a clue what Schwartz thinks of him fitting our defense... although I DO know he has stated several times that he likes "versatile" players... which I believe Laurinaitus is NOT...)

as it now stands i think a large portion of the lions fan base (those few that are still calling themselves that in public) will boo any selction that the lions make...

for many it is now better to be angry first than disappointed later...

i don't agree with that position myself...

but i can see why some might...

to be anything but negative in many circles leads to the derision of being called a homer and a kool-aid drinker...

others would say that they that "they won't get fooled again"...

and if you aren't with us in hating them, then you are one of them...

(you could say it is similar to some circles in politics right now, but i won't go there <ditto>...lol)

but i do believe mr stafford (or mr curry) should be aware of what they are getting into...it's going to be a very tough crowd...

If Stafford inks...

How would we set up our draft board ONLY for the #20 and #33 picks? I'm taking this as those players that have a CHANCE to fall to those spots, and then ranking them according to BPA/ need.

At #20, I'm guessing my board would be like:

Maualuga

Pettigrew

Butler

Oher

Hood

Mack

At #33, I'm guessing my board would be like:

Mack

Beatty

Alphonso Smith

Moala

Brace

??? (I won't have Laurinaitus on my board if Schwartz thinks he is a bad fit for his 4-3. If Schwartz likes him, I would have him just above/ or below... Mack, I think? Obviously I don't have a clue what Schwartz thinks of him fitting our defense... although I DO know he has stated several times that he likes "versatile" players... which I believe Laurinaitus is NOT...)

Trading down would be the first option on #20 & #33.After saying that I'll guess that at 20 our board would look like:

1) Jerry

2) Pettigrew

3) Maualuga

4) Laurinitis

Jerry may be taken by TB right before that. In that case I'd go with Pettigrew. If the two MLB's are still on the board there is a good chance that one with slip to us at 33 as well as Hood, Brace and Moala.

At that point I'd take the DT and take a MLB in the third.

Most mocks have us taking a TE in the third. It all depends upon the scouting - if they think a 3rd round MLB and Pettigrew offer better value than Maualuga and a third round TE.