LineCrosser

Birkett says it's nearly a done deal...

I think there's a very good chance that Pettigrew will be the BPA on their board if the Lions pick at 20. I'm starting to think that they won't being picking at 20 though. I see them trading down a few spots and picking up more picks later. Maybe even my pipe dream of trading up to 8 to pick up either Curry or Raji but that seems very far fetched.

I'm not that excited about the two USC guys, so I disagree. I understand that you need to build a defense, but we're going to be back here next year, might as well take the best player available with every pick. How often does a TE come along that can block/protect/catch, and do them well?

I have always looked at TEs as a position you get when you have "something" on each side of the ball already, then you can address it. It's more of the complimentary piece. I don't like the idea of taking a TE after a team went 0-16 with what may have been the worst defense in NFL history - especially if the first selection wasn't used to improve that defense.

But this is exactly what I am talking about. The pick does make sense if you want to help put Stafford in the best possible situation to succeed. This first pick, makes you mentally think in this direction.

About anyone flat out being the best player available that deep in the first round - you should be able to make the argument at least 10 guys could be the best player for any pick by that time of the draft. I just can't buy the "this guy is the best player" argument beyond the first handful of picks. I have a hard time thinking there won't be a single defensive player or offensive lineman that can't be labeled as "the best player left in the draft" by the time the Lions have to select again.

Why do people keep acting as if we won't be right back here again next year, with yet another top five pick? What, there won't be any good defensive players coming out next year? We can only fix a little at a time through the draft, so lets just get the best pieces every year and hope for the best!

Passing on an offensive player that's the best player available in order to take a defensive player, because "we need defense" ... that's not smart.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/lions_say_reports_of_imminent.html

The Detroit Lions say that reports of an imminent signing of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford are "untrue.'' Both the NFLDraftBible.com and The Oakland Press have reported that a deal is close to being struck that would pay Stafford $40 million in guaranteed money.

"That report is absolutely untrue,'' said Lions spokesman Bill Keenist.

The Lions have gone on the record as saying they wanted to have their first-round draft choice signed prior to the start of the draft, which begins at 4 p.m. Saturday. The Lions are believed to be negotiating with at least three players -- Stafford, Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and Baylor left tackle Jason Smith.

What if the BPA is a RB?

What if the BPA is a kicker? Seriously, that's your argument on that?

The best teams year in and year out simply take the BPA, and not reach for any need whatsoever. Maybe the Lions should finally follow that path.

My biggest fear is that with a Stafford pick at No. 1, now you need to get additional pieces to compliment that selection - particularly on the offensive line. And as bad as the offense (and the quarterbacks) were last year, the defense clearly was the worst part of this team a year ago.

Which is why I think the Lion's Free Agency has been very good. They added several starters in Grady, Henry and Buchanan and a Pro Bowler in Peterson.

They do need to pick up an offensive lineman, I like William Beatty, but that's the only MUST HAVE as far as the offense goes the rest of the draft. A TE would be nice, but it's not a huge need. Bringing in Curry and that Kansas City guy made WR not necessity. Adding Morris makes the RB position secure. They added a FB. Add an offensive lineman (either a LT at 2-1 or a Guard at 3-1) and you are golden.

The Lions must find a way to make this a draft that is defense-intensive. That has been made more difficult if this news is actually true.

The Lions better be right about Stafford. I hope they are.

Has a rookie QB ever failed with a freak weapon like Calvin Johnson? I ask not to be cheeky, but because I am curious. I think the fact Detroit has a great WR and a great RB GREATLY improves Stafford's chances.

I have seen Brandon Pettigrew on some big boards as being a top 15 talent overall, so how would him slipping to 20 be a reach for the Lions?

It's not that he would be a reach per say - it's simply a question of whether he would make a great impact on the field than any other play we can get at 20.

What if the BPA is a kicker? What? Seriously, that's your argument on that?

Really?

You said:

Passing on an offensive player that's the best player available in order to take a defensive player, because "we need defense" ... that's not smart.

I asked you the RB question.

It's a valid question. If you don't understand, ignore it.

I saw a draft that gave Detroit Stafford and Knowshon.

Okay. Could the Lions trade Kevin Smith for a pick or two?

What if the BPA is a kicker? What? Seriously, that's your argument on that?

Really?

Selecting best player available is a viable strategy that's used by many teams. Let's not treat it like its something that I just pulled out of my ***.

One of the reasons the strategy makes sense is that the BPA will never be a kicker. That's a stupid argument against the Best Plater Available draft strategy.

Chances are that RB's aren't high on the Lions draft board which they've tweaked their board slightly to reflect team needs.

Why do people keep acting as if we won't be right back here again next year, with yet another top five pick? What, there won't be any good defensive players coming out next year? We can only fix a little at a time through the draft, so lets just get the best pieces every year and hope for the best!

The problem with what you are saying is that the Lions need about 5 defensive players, not just one. At some point they have to use first round draft picks on elite defensive talent. If they start next year they will still have a crappy defense for at least a couple of years.

It's a valid question. If you don't understand, ignore it.

I understand it pretty well, I just thought it was pretty dumb. What if Josh Freeman is there at #20, and he's the BPA .. wow, ugh .. do you take him?

The good thing about getting the qb now is you give him a year to sit to learn the offense, you will probably be bad next year two, which gives you two years of high picks in each round to build up the positions of needs around him. OT and LB can come in and play right away, draft one of them next year in the first and in two years hopefully everything comes together. If we did it the opposite and took the qb next year we would still have to wait a year most likely for him to develop and it puts us another year behind.

First off, you can wait until later in the draft. If the QB isn't going to play this year, then that makes the pick a tougher sell in my mind. If the Lions don't think Stafford will be ready to play by the season's midpoint this year, then this pick shouldn't be made. If you want to wait a year to develop a QB, that's what the rest of the draft is used for. We've see too many QBs in recent seasons, come in and produce early. Consequently, I think that needs to be the Lions' mindset as well if they use a high pick on a QB, which apparently they are going to do. But if you are going to select him and USE him this year, you don't want to set up a Harrington situation. You want the guy to have the pieces around him so he can be successful. You have to now change your direction from defense to offense to get that done. And this is why I would've rather used a lesser pick on a prospect or waited until next year to either see what gets on the market or what is available in the draft.

What I would've liked done in the ideal world is get a piece - maybe two - this year that would help create a better situation for your eventual QB. Then next year when you get him, add another piece or two then as well. If you worked your draft right the first year, you'll already have a few experienced pieces as that QB comes in.

If you don't give him those other pieces and he plays, now he's in a situation that only hurts his possible progress. The list of high drafted QBs that come on a team with a miserable offense but eventually makes it above average is not very large. Quite often it takes a change of environment for that player to eventually produce.

If the Lions think Stafford is truly the best player in this draft, they have to play him ASAP. They are an 0-16 team with many immediate pressing needs. It's hard to justify making this selection and saying he's sitting the bench for a year when you have so many players out there that can address pressing needs immediately. And that means more emphasis on offense in this draft and the offseason. That bothers me.

I understand it pretty well, I just thought it was pretty dumb. What if Josh Freeman is there at #20, and he's the BPA .. wow, ugh .. do you take him?

Nope. And I don't take a RB/WR/TE either.

Hongbit, I was completely joking about the kicker. I said that .. really, because he likes to quote me and goat at me... I don't know why though.

I understand that we need to take premium defensive players, but waiting till next year to take that won't set this team back. This team isn't anywhere near an Atlanta Falcons/Miami Dolphins like rise, it's going to take time and patience. We need to put together a few good drafts in a row, not just one.

Has a rookie QB ever failed with a freak weapon like Calvin Johnson? I ask not to be cheeky' date=' but because I am curious. I think the fact Detroit has a great WR and a great RB GREATLY improves Stafford's chances. [/quote']

How many rookie QBs have a "freak weapon" like Calvin Johnson?

Detroit has a great RB? Who?

Stafford's not being drafted to sit out the year....he'll be your starter and rushed out of the pocket on a consistent basis by game 6.