LineCrosser

Birkett says it's nearly a done deal...

Lions close to a deal with Stafford

The Lions are close to agreeing on a deal with Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford to be the No. 1 overall pick.

Lions president Tom Lewand met with owner William Clay Ford for final approval earlier today, and the two sides could finalize a contract as soon as today. One source said a “catastrophe” would have to happen for the Lions not to draft Stafford at this point.

Phone calls to Lewand, general manager Martin Mayhew and senior vice president of communications Bill Keenist were not immediately returned. Neither Stafford nor his agent Tom Condon returned phone calls, either.

The Lions have five of the first 82 picks in this weekend's draft, including two first-rounders. Stafford passed for 3,459 yards last year with 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He likely will start next season behind Daunte Culpepper.

http://davebirkett.blogspot.com/

One source said a “catastrophe” would have to happen for the Lions not to draft Stafford at this point.

Quick, someone drive to Allen Park and cause a catastrophe!

Just kidding. I did prefer Curry, but I'm a Lions fan, and if they really believe he'll be a star, then I'll trust them, and hope he is.

GO LIONS!!!

For the sake of the board, all of your families and the state of Michigan in general, I sure hope Stafford works out. I don't think some of you guys could live through another Joey Harrington situation, all while watching the next LT play for the Chiefs.

I would love it if Curry falls to 8+ for whatever reasons (Chiefs pass on him, etc...), and by extension that pushes Maualuga down to us (not looking likely, at least per the mocks so far...).

Actually, I shouldn't wish bad on a prospect...

Fair enough. Let's move on shall we?

Exactly. I think, with the draft finally here and a deal in place, that we need to stop bickering and get on board with the pick our team made.

However, we can start bickering over who the Lions should take with the 20th pick. I'm sticking with Brandon Pettigrew, TE .. Oklahoma State.

I agree Norman. If one of the MLB's is there, they HAVE to take them. If not, they need to look at DT. If it's too much of a reach, fine take the TE. If not, defense is the name of the game.

Pettigrew at 20 would be my worst case scenario.

I simply don't put that much value at TE.

Yeah, but one that can pass protect, block, and catch the ball with decent ability after the catch. That covers a few glaring needs that this team has.

Oh well.

I, for one, welcome our new Matt Stafford overlords.

Go Stafford!

Yeah, but one that can pass protect, block, and catch the ball with decent ability after the catch. That covers a few glaring needs that this team has.

I can understand the value of Pettigrew on this team. I would LOVE for him to be in Detroit. I just think at 1-20 we have bigger needs. If we can trade down, pick up an extra first 3 rounds pick and still get Pettigrew, I would love it.

I agree Norman. If one of the MLB's is there, they HAVE to take them. If not, they need to look at DT. If it's too much of a reach, fine take the TE. If not, defense is the name of the game.

I think the only DT that is really attractive is Ron Brace. I have loss a lot of my love of Ziggy Hood and Peria Jerry's age and injury history concern me a bit.

My ideal target for 20 would be Robert Ayers. Imagine adding Robert Ayers and Ron Brace to that DL.

If one of the MLB's is there, they HAVE to take them.

I'm not that excited about the two USC guys, so I disagree. I understand that you need to build a defense, but we're going to be back here next year, might as well take the best player available with every pick. How often does a TE come along that can block/protect/catch, and do them well?

My biggest fear is that with a Stafford pick at No. 1, now you need to get additional pieces to compliment that selection - particularly on the offensive line. And as bad as the offense (and the quarterbacks) were last year, the defense clearly was the worst part of this team a year ago.

The Lions must find a way to make this a draft that is defense-intensive. That has been made more difficult if this news is actually true.

The Lions better be right about Stafford. I hope they are.

...The Lions must find a way to make this a draft that is defense-intensive. That has been made more difficult if this news is actually true....

Mutiple trade-downs for extra picks.

It's the only way.

I have seen Brandon Pettigrew on some big boards as being a top 15 talent overall, so how would him slipping to 20 be a reach for the Lions?

My biggest fear is that with a Stafford pick at No. 1, now you need to get additional pieces to compliment that selection - particularly on the offensive line. And as bad as the offense (and the quarterbacks) were last year, the defense clearly was the worst part of this team a year ago.

The Lions must find a way to make this a draft that is defense-intensive. That has been made more difficult if this news is actually true.

The Lions better be right about Stafford. I hope they are.

The good thing about getting the qb now is you give him a year to sit to learn the offense, you will probably be bad next year two, which gives you two years of high picks in each round to build up the positions of needs around him. OT and LB can come in and play right away, draft one of them next year in the first and in two years hopefully everything comes together. If we did it the opposite and took the qb next year we would still have to wait a year most likely for him to develop and it puts us another year behind.

Quarterback is just too much of a need at this point and the one that will impact what happens on the field the most. We can improve our other weaknesses with the later picks we have in this draft. I'll just have to gulp and swallow the fact that I'm puting faith in Lion's scouting at this point.

Welcome Joey Harring......err Matt Stafford! You'll get paid but you're career is already over....you just haven't realized it yet.