CoachBelch

Fire Tram, hire Gibby

I can't believe anyone is bashing Alan. Granted, I sometimes disagree with the way he leaves in pitchers too long. He knows this team better then we do, and I believe he is doing the best he can with what he has (which isn't much).

But, come on guys...lay off!

I seriously think Alan knew it was going to be rough when he got here, but I don't think he knew it was going to be this ugly.

Give the man credit for even accepting this challenge in the first place! Kudos to Trammell for wanting to come in and turn this organization around; Lord only knows it is not going to be easy.

Why blame Trammell, when it is plain to see that ALL of this crap lays solely on the owner's shoulder for allowing The Tigers to reach this point in the first place.

You better believe that if I was Boss, the first thing I would is

FIRE MIKE ILITCH!

For someone who says he cares about The Tigers, he sure does have a very funny way of showing it.

<<It's save to say this will be tram last mangerial job. I give it two years. That's if he wants to come back next year.>>

I disagree, to a point. Yes, this will Trammell's last manerial job; but only after he manages them for 20 years.

:classic:

Originally posted by sports_nut

We could go out and get a great manager like Joe Torre or something, but what would that prove? I bet Torre even couldn't get this club a winning record.

Torre is the only manager in MLB history to lose 1,000 games before winning 1,000 games. I believe it's very safe to say that he couldn't get this club a winning record, given his own record.

Torre couldnt even get this club a winning record....no doubt. I dont think even Jesus could get this club a winning record.

But at least we wouldnt see the worst record ever in major league history since 1899.

Some observers are saying that Trammell is in over his head...that he is too nice of a guy...I personally do not agree, but even if it is true, just give him some time to respond to what has been dumped on him...I suspect the Mr. Nice Guy image will fade and he will get his head above water...sooner rather than later...

by the look on Trams face most of the time i wouldnt be surprised if he quit taking the blame for the bad season.... even if its not his fault trams that kinda guy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! Can that first post really be serious?

I used to say the past managers are basically playing chess against the opposition without having their rooks or queen. Trammell is playing with only a pawn or two.

I 100% agree with the people that say Trammell can't be held accountable at all. In fact his stability and work ethic - he's working with these kids day and night - has been far and beyond the call of duty. Trammell has been nothing short of outstanding in my mind.

Trammell can't be judged based on Ws and Ls at all this year. He can't even be judged based on his managerial decisions because he simply never gets a chance to make any legit ones. And when he rarely does get that chance he gets to make the decision between a .120 hitter and a .180 hitter. Come on - give me a break.

I love how he's shown confidence in his Rule 5 guys and they've responded. I love how he's trying to hold people accountable right now when really he has so few options to do just that that it's amazing he's able to make some decisions to keep people accountable.

If he loses 145 games people 10 years from now are going to laugh and say he was a lousy manager. Anyone who's watched this year knows they may lose that many only because the team has no talent. He's worked hard and has done everything he possibly can to reverse this trend. Unfortunately, signs are things will probably get worse in the second half of the season before they get better.

Originally posted by CoachBelch

Phil Garner and Buddy Bell are much better managers...

This statement in & of itself says all we need to know about CoachBelch.

Tram is a great choice to manage the Tigers this year. It didn't matter if Casey Stengel was leading this pack, we'd still be rotten. To give a living Tiger legend a chance as to manage and learn on the fly on a team with no expectations gives Tram the experience he'll need in the future for a team(hopefully the Tigers) that isn't a complete joke. No, he's not making all the right moves. No, he's not doing the best job possible. Fortunately we're at a point where the most important job is being done by the GM, and there isnt' a person around who doesn't think DD is the right man for the job. Come 2-3 years from now, hopefully this team is turned around, and Tram has a few years under his belt and has earned the right to remain manager of the team. To complain about him this year is to expect a miracle from him. It ain't happening.

Are you trying to say Alan Trammel is clearly a better manager than Phil or Buddy? None of the three are going into the hall for being a great manager but if all 30 teams were forced to select a manager and they had to chose between Buddy, Phil, or Alan. 29 out of the 30 would chose buddy or Phil over tram. with or course the tigers being the one. So why is it so crazy.

And to all you saying you can't blame tram and he has no players. Well either Phil or Buddy and we fired them. Who did Buddy have Easly and Tony Clark? Devi Cruz? How do you win with that. My whole point was to ask why are our young players failing and going backwards in their games under Tram. I know they are bad players but why are they getting worse instead of better. Where is this displince and playing the right way stuff going to show up on the field

Are you trying to say Alan Trammel is clearly a better manager than Phil or Buddy? None of the three are going into the hall for being a great manager

He's been a manager for all of 80 games. I nominate this as the most premature statement in the history of this board. Its a runner up for the dumbest too, I'm sure something Ranger said sometime would beat it.

The new scapegoat has emerged. This is similar to when Tram was the batting coach. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken . . . well you know what I'm saying.

An inexperienced manager. A relatively inexperienced coaching staff. Inexperienced players. What more could we hope for. Life isn't "Major League." The 62 Mets had one of the best coaches in baseball and they won 40 games. Blaming Trammell for the debacle that is 2003 is like blaming the Orchestra Leader on the Titanic for the iceberg. He's just bravely playing as the ship is going down, because there is nothing else he can do.

Peace,

Shabba

I think perhaps Coach Belch should be designated for assignment for this thread.

Are you trying to say Alan Trammel is clearly a better manager than Phil or Buddy? None of the three are going into the hall for being a great manager but if all 30 teams were forced to select a manager and they had to chose between Buddy, Phil, or Alan. 29 out of the 30 would chose buddy or Phil over tram. with or course the tigers being the one. So why is it so crazy.

No, I'm not saying he's clearly better. I'm saying IT IS clearly to early to tell how good or bad a manager Alan Trammell will be. Buddy had no players, Phil had even fewer. Tram has bupkus.

Granted, Buddy & Phil were led to believe they would have more $ to spend & better players coming. Tram is suffering because of the poor talent evaluation of Randy Smith. But I also think he does not put up with as much crap as Buddy & especially Phil did. Phil played favorites. I don't see Tram doing that.

My whole point was to ask why are our young players failing and going backwards in their games under Tram. I know they are bad players but why are they getting worse instead of better. Where is this displince and playing the right way stuff going to show up on the field

You say our young players are getting worse instead of better. Compared to what? Worse compared to what they did in the minor leagues? There's a difference between the Majors & minors. Brandon Inge never could hit. Infante & Santiago both have less than a year of ML experience. He is evaluating right now. I believe you will see Tram giving his players shorter ropes with which to hang themselves as we head into the 2nd half. If they don't play the right way, they'll be gone sooner rather than later. I don't think you can say that about Buddy Bell's Tigers or Phil Garner's.

P.S.

I really don't blame Buddy Bell. Still think he got shafted by Randy Smith.

CoachBelch's post has to be one of the most ridiculous posts that I have ever read. You are a complete idiot.

To paraphrase the movie Billy Madison....

"Mr.Belch, what you've written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

:confused:

Originally posted by baseball4

CoachBelch's post has to be one of the most ridiculous posts that I have ever read. You are a complete idiot.

Give the guy a break. I give him credit for starting a topic that has opened up some discussion, some friendly debate.

Originally posted by DTroppens

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! Can that first post really be serious?

I used to say the past managers are basically playing chess against the opposition without having their rooks or queen. Trammell is playing with only a pawn or two.

I 100% agree with the people that say Trammell can't be held accountable at all. In fact his stability and work ethic - he's working with these kids day and night - has been far and beyond the call of duty. Trammell has been nothing short of outstanding in my mind.

Trammell can't be judged based on Ws and Ls at all this year. .

DTroppens has been eating a little corn bread lately?

So I guess you also think Marty Morningweigh was an awesome coach too?

I like Tram and am sure he will get better but lets call the worst record in history what it is the worst record in history.

Its ok to say something bad about a rookie coach...Morningweigh was a rookie too...they almost always have to learn on the fly. Its no surprise Tram is struggling.

Originally posted by LansingLugnut

Its ok to say something bad about a rookie coach...Morningweigh was a rookie too...they almost always have to learn on the fly. Its no surprise Tram is struggling.

I think that is the general sentiment. Tram is learning on the job and IMHO making a few strategy mistakes along the way, which is ok and expected from a rookie manager. Im sure he will learn from them which will make him even a better manager in the future.

I said that I'd never be able to criticize Tram, but I do have one I'm going to throw out.

What the eff is it with all the effing bunting? This is 2003 and bunting is so 1950. Do NOT waste an out when you have no outs to waste.

Originally posted by Moonlight Graham

Give the guy a break. I give him credit for starting a topic that has opened up some discussion, some friendly debate.

Overall, his post was just plain stupid. If he thinks Buddy Bell and Phil Garner could do a better job than Trammell, then he is smoking something.

To Kevin: nice post, lol.

To Trammells credit...I think he is doing a better job than Luis Pujols did...

AT least he hasnt batted a guy out of order yet.

DTroppens has been eating a little corn bread lately?

So I guess you also think Marty Morningweigh was an awesome coach too?

I like Tram and am sure he will get better but lets call the worst record in history what it is the worst record in history.

The question is really though whether it is Tram struggling or just the fact that the team is not very good at all. I think its that the team just isn't good. I don't think that too many managers make a difference in baseball beyond maybe 5 games +/- and I actually think that is stretching it.

There is something mental to the game of course and I do like managers like Tram that know how to treat young arms (to this point) but in the long run managers don't make that big of a difference.

Look at the Mets and Art Howe for example he was great with the A's so logic tells you that the Mets should win a lot more with Howe right? Well it isn't working out that way. I know lets look at Torre and the Yankees he must be a great manager!? Well before he went there he had a losing record with every other club.

Maybe talent wins not managing in baseball??!!

To Trammells credit...I think he is doing a better job than Luis Pujols did...

AT least he hasnt batted a guy out of order yet.

what are you talking about!!! attempting to skip inge in the batting order was perhaps the greatest individual managerial decision luis pujols ever made.