Sandlot

Higginson

Higginson

What the heck happened to this guy?

All I see is a player with about 5 packs of (Double Bubble) gum in his mouth. In fact, it's distracting watching him in the batters box.....chomp, chomp, chomp. He seems more concerned about his gum and batting stance than hitting.

How in the heck can this guy concentrate when his jaw is moving faster than his brain.

He looks like a coiled spring ready to jump about 10 feet high in the batters box on every pitch, as do most of the hitters.

Don't laugh, reminds me of Denny McClain years ago who would drink 15, 20 Pepsi's a day. We all know what happened to him.

Oh yeah... back to Higgy, once in a while he gets a hit or walks...big deal.

.240 BA, a couple of home runs, and what, 15 or so RBI's... come-on... in a half of season?

Why don't they just dump him like Easley, Clark.... get over it and move on.

Has anybody ever questioned the hitting coach or is this a taboo?

What is the ( team average) about, .225 or so.

I'd surely want to know what the heck the hitting coach is doing?

The hitting coaches have been replaced as well as most of the other coaches during this long run of misery. Hasn't changed anything. We just don't have very good players, simple as that.

Highway robbery is what I call it. 11 million dollars FOR THIS?

Unbelievable. Does anybody recall a bigger case of highway robbery? He should be ashamed to step up to the plate in front of our fans. It's terrible. I can't believe he ACCEPTS his big huge paycheck each week. This is just utterly ridiculous.

Bobby Higginson is the luckiest guy in baseball. He should be sending Christmas gifts every year to Randy Smith and Juan Gonzalez for thier help in obtaining the most underserved contract in baseball.

I dont think Higginson has ever hit below .280 in the majors which makes me believe he will pick it up and hit .280 again this year with 80 plus walks. He also is one of the best outfielders in the game.

Thats not the problem ...the problem is that his power numbers have dropped dramatically. Something like 10 homeruns a year wont cut it. Comerica Park seems to be the problem...Higgy doesnt like it it seems though I dont think its that tough to hit a HR to RF here.

When Higgy got his huge contract, he lost his edge, his desire, whatever you want to call it, and became satisfied. He didn't have to earn the money once the ink was dry. There was no incentive for him to perform and he just doesn't have the athletic ability to put it on auto-pilot and still excel. He's not A-Rod.

All he has to do is show up. And that's exactly what he has done for three years.

I really think Higgy's let Comerica get to his head too much. He'd be doing much better if he was still at Tiger Stadium.

I think he just was never that good and is reaching the normal letdown that guys in their 30s make.

He was Larry Herndon all along.

Originally posted by Oblong

I think he just was never that good and is reaching the normal letdown that guys in their 30s make.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/higgibo02.shtml

You can argue the contract all you want, because most guys will decline after they reach 30, but you cannot dispute the fact that Higginson was a quality player in his time. With the exception of 1999, from 1996-2000, he put up good years (great years in 96 and 00).

There's not much the Tigers can do with Higginson, because of his contract, but this slide is certainly not surprising. He was a good player who is now approaching 33, the point at which most good (not great) players begin to decline. Management should have known this. All they had to do was a little research, but, like so many things about this franchise, they just reacted from the hip and signed the guy to a long term contract.

If Tram sees the light & plays Higgy in the lead off spot for the rest of the year, he'll get close to .300. His power #s won't be as good, but his average will rebound.

Originally posted by LansingLugnut

I dont think Higginson has ever hit below .280 in the majors which makes me believe he will pick it up and hit .280 again this year with 80 plus walks. He also is one of the best outfielders in the game.

Higginson's stats:

1995 - .224/.329/.393

1996 - .320/.404/.577

1997 - 299/.379/.520

1998 - 284/.355/.480

1999 - .239/.351/.382

2000 - .300/.377/.538

2001 - .277/.367/.445

2002 - .282/.345/.417

2003 - .242/.336/.342

Career BA: .278

Career high: 80 walks

While it is possible that Higginson will get his average up to .280, I don't see any reason to think that it's guaranteed. His OBP and SLG have each dropped for the last 3 seasons. That's a bad sign.

Looking at those stats, the last 2 times he had high avgs that dropped the next 2 years, were followed by a near .300 season. No reason, by these stats, to believe he can't hit .300 next season.

Originally posted by sports_nut

Looking at those stats, the last 2 times he had high avgs that dropped the next 2 years, were followed by a near .300 season. No reason, by these stats, to believe he can't hit .300 next season.

Maybe I should have added another column, then: his age. He was 24 as a rookie, and is 32 now. So in the two previous years that you are referring to, he was 25 and 29. 25 and 29 year old hitters are much more likely to show sudden improvement than 32 year old hitters. Look, I'm not saying it's impossible. It could happen. I'm just saying that if you expect it to happen (as opposed to merely hoping), you're being a bit naive.

So then he'll drop off when he's 34 and 35 and pick it back up at 36 dropping off at 37 and 38 coming back with a big season at age 39. He'll win the MVP at 63.

The world doesn't revolve around higgy. YOu guys are obsessed with Higgy and this is the 100th post about him in the last week. GET OVER IT. HE IS THE BEST ON THIS HORRIBLE TEAM ANDYOU GUYS CAN't SEE IT. AND THAT DOESN't EVEN SAY MUCH FOR HIM. GET OVER THE HIGGY BASHING. Each and everyone of you doesn't need their own separate thread rehashing the same ideas every day. Quite old. COme up with something else. Hey I got an idea, why not set up the I HATE HIGGY thread and just continue the low brain ideas every day. THIS team has far more problems than him and it isn't his fault that he is considered a leader on this suck *** team. Ya, he has his faults, he is not perfect, but for god sake their is more wrong with this team than him and you guys need to find it. What about young??????? where is his .300 season? etc etc etc. THe guy just wants to play in detroit and win here and you guys continuously bash him for it. At least he wants to be here and is not begging to be elsewhere. GET OVER IT.

Young started out slow hitting .167 since then he is batting about .340 and is stinging the ball every night.

Dmitri Young is impressing me. I didnt know he was this good a hitter...neither did the Reds evidentally.

He just missed another homerun last night getting his 5th triple to go along with 11 doubles and 15 homeruns. I hope the Tigers keep him around.

"he lost his edge, his desire, whatever you want to call it, and became satisfied. He didn't have to earn the money once the ink was dry."

You have zero clue if this is true. Fans love to act like allt he athletes are about is money but the fans make things about money MUCH more than the players.

Originally posted by JS

Maybe I should have added another column, then: his age. He was 24 as a rookie, and is 32 now. So in the two previous years that you are referring to, he was 25 and 29. 25 and 29 year old hitters are much more likely to show sudden improvement than 32 year old hitters. Look, I'm not saying it's impossible. It could happen. I'm just saying that if you expect it to happen (as opposed to merely hoping), you're being a bit naive.

I'd like it to happen, because that SEEMED to be the trend. Hell, I know people don't always get better as they get older. I just hope Higgy DOES continue the trend...it'd be nice at least.

I tend to think if he got out of this horrible situation he would be better. He's been in the cellar too long and he's pretty emotional. You want to think because he is getting a big contract that he is coming to the park every day with a great attitude, but how realistic is that ? He's never been on a team that has been in a pennant race, subconciously he has to know this is a lost cause.

I think it's just more that he's getting into the area where decline happens naturally. I don't buy that Comerica gets to him since he had his best season here.

That could probably explain most of it. He seems to run with a limp more often than not. But I think if he went to a contender he would be better.