dt35456884

Worst Ever Tigers Trade

What might have been..

Bill Freehan to the Phillies for Bob Boone -

but Freehan was a 10/5 player and nixed the trade

Minor Leaguer Lance Parrish never becomes a Tiger and either fizzles out at another position or goes elsewhere. 84 Tigers lose out to Blue Jays for division lead due in large part to lack of production behind the plate.

I still think we're going to regret getting rid of Miller and Maybin.

I remember how this board blew up when we gave up Scott Moore, Bo Flowers, and Roberto Novoa for Kyle Farnsworth.

Farnsworth ended up not doing a ton before leaving for FA, but you'd have thought that Moore, Flowers, and Novoa were the 2nd coming by the board's reaction.

I remember how this board blew up when we gave up Scott Moore, Bo Flowers, and Roberto Novoa for Kyle Farnsworth.

Farnsworth ended up not doing a ton before leaving for FA, but you'd have thought that Moore, Flowers, and Novoa were the 2nd coming by the board's reaction.

Farnsworth was pretty good for Detroit and was traded for Roman Colon and Zach Miner.

I am not sure if I ever saw a faster, straighter fastball thrower in my life. It may have only been a snapshot in time, but I vividly recall watching him throw darts while here.

The worst ever tigers trade was when they agreed to send torii hunter millions of dollars in return for torii hunter playing baseball for them.

I am not sure if I ever saw a faster, straighter fastball thrower in my life. It may have only been a snapshot in time, but I vividly recall watching him throw darts while here.

Yup. His FB was always pretty flat. Usually when you throw hard the spin on the ball just naturally increases as your fingers drag across the ball harder at release, but for some reason not for Farnsworth.

The worst ever tigers trade was when they agreed to send torii hunter millions of dollars in return for torii hunter playing baseball for them.

You really have a lot of venom for Hunter. He was pretty decent his first season so I can hardly see this being that bad of a signing.

What might have been..

Bill Freehan to the Phillies for Bob Boone -

but Freehan was a 10/5 player and nixed the trade

back to this... did 10 and 5 rights exist at that time?

back to this... did 10 and 5 rights exist at that time?

I've wondered the same thing. 1st MLBPA contract was in '68, Freehan's 11th full year was '72, so the union and a Basic Agreement were there, but I couldn't find a reference on casual searching that said whether 10/5 was in one of those 1st two contracts. Ask me to guess, my recollection would be 10/5 would have been one of the very 1st things negotiated. It was a big issue to veteran players in those days when the money wasn't that good and guys really didn't want to relocate on relatively small money at the end of their careers.