Motor City Sonics

Your 2009 Playoff Predictions

Eastern Conference

Boston over Montreal in 5

Washington over NY Rangers in 5

Carolina over New Jersey in 7

Pittsburgh over Philly in 6

Boston over Carolina in 6

Washington over Philly in 5 (Alex owns Sid)

Boston over Washington in 5

EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS - Boston Bruins

San Jose over Anaheim in 5

Detroit over Columbus in 7

Vancouver over St. Louis in 6

Calgary over Chicago in 6

San Jose over Calgary in 6

Vancouver over Detroit in 7

Vancouver over San Jose in 7

WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIOINS - Vancouver Canucks

STANLEY CUP - Boston Bruins over Vancouver Canucks in 5

bruins-logo.jpg

Washington over New York in 6

New Jersey over Carolina in 6

Pittsburgh Over Philly in 5

Boston over Pittsburgh in 6

Washington over New Jersey in 7

Boston over Washington in 6

EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS - BOSTON BRUINS

San Jose over Anaheim in 6

Detroit over Columbus in 5

Vancouver over St. Louis in 5

Chicago over Calgary in 6

Detroit over Vancouver in 6

San Jose over Chicago in 7

Detroit over San Jose in 6

WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS - DETROIT RED WINGS

STANLEY CUP FINALS:

Detroit over Boston in 6

THE CHAMPS RETAIN!

170425-3.jpg

I think the Wings have as good of a chance of winning the Cup as anyone. I don't expect the Eastern conference champion to come from one of the top 3 seeds. I'll make 1st round Western picks for now:

San Jose over Anaheim in 5. - I didn't want the Wings to play Anaheim due to travel and the Ducks' playoff-seasoned roster, but travel won't be an issue for San Jose and beyond their big names the Ducks have relatively little depth. Plus the Ducks have big goaltending issues.

Detroit over Columbus in 6 - This will be a typical Wings' 1st round matchup. A less talented but hungry team trying to stop the Wings with defense and grinding. The Wings will need to work hard but will outlast them in 6. Then hit their stride starting in the 2nd round ...

Chicago over Calgary in 6 - This should be a very intense, loud-crowd series. Keenan facing one of his many former teams. Both teams slumped in the final quarter of the season, but the Hawks can turn it back on.

Vancouver over St. Louis in 7 - Canucks in a groove right now. St. Louis may have shot their load just to get here. But the Canucks are incapable of doing anything the easy way.

Eastern Conference 1st round picks:

Boston over Montreal in 7 - I'm not sold on the Bruins. The Habs' 100th anniversary season has been anything but boring, so I expect a few twists this series before ultimately they bow out.

Washington over Rangers in 5 - Ovechkin on Broadway. I expect him to get a hattrick in one of the Manhattan games. This series could just as easily be a sweep.

Carolina over Jersey in 7 - Whatever. The series I'm least interested in. 2 decent teams, but franchises that would be at the top of my list for contraction. Brodeur has struggled in the 1st round often since the Devils' 2003 Cup.

Pittsburgh over Philly in 5 - The Flyers coughed up home-ice advantage for this series today. Sid will take charge. The Pens could make it to the Finals.

wow. I hope you're wrong MCS

AMEN. The LAST thing the Boston area needs is another championship. They're insufferable as it is.

I say the same thing every year: I don't know how they'll do it or how many games it'll take them, but the Wings will win the Cup. Again! :classic:

First Round Picks

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston vs. Montreal - The Bruins have handled the Canadiens all year, and have beat them the past 5 times they've played. Bruins in 5.

Washington vs. New York - Ovechkin & the supporting crew of the Capitals > The Rangers. Capitals in 5.

New Jersey vs. Carolina - Carolina has had Jersey's number this year, but Brodeur is back, and he was in net for the only game they won against the Hurricanes. Good series, but Devils in 6.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia - Penguins won the season series & have been playing better than Philly as of late. Penguins in 6.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

San Jose vs. Anaheim - Anaheim has been playing well lately, but San Jose comes in ready & takes care of business in another good first round series. San Jose in 6.

Detroit vs. Columbus - Blue Jackets have been a pain in our *** all year, but we've got the experience & this is the time we've been waiting for all year. Wings in 6.

Vancouver vs. St. Louis - The Blues have been streaky, and Mason has been damn good, so I'm going with the crazy pick on this one. Blues in 6.

Chicago vs. Calgary - The Blackhawks young guns come through & prevail over the Flames, who they have dominated all year long. Blackhawks in 5.

I'm not really sure on the Blackhawks, Kane, Toews and co. are all young

and I'm not sure if they can handle the play-off pressure, but Im a pessimistic

in sports so I'm going to just go with my gut:

Boston over Montreal in 6

Washington over New York in 5

New Jersey over Caroline in 6

Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in 7

Detroit over Columbus in 4

Chicago over Calgary in 5 (The Bulin' Wall and Huet are top notch goalies IMO plus we pwnd the flames all year)

Anything past the first round I can't even begin to predict

Washington over New York in 7

New Jersey over Caroline in 5

Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 5

Anaheim over San Jose in 6 (my big first round upset prediction)

Vancouver over St. Louis in 5

Chicago over Calgary in 7

I'm gonna go against conventional wisdom a little bit...

New York over Washington in 7

Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in 7

San Jose over Anaheim in 6

Detroit over Columbus in 6

St. Louis over Vancouver in 7

Chicago over Calgary in 6

Washington over New York in 5

New Jersey over Caroline in 6

Pitt over Philly in 6

San Jose over Anaheim in 4

Detroit over Columbus in 4

Calgary over Chicago in 7

Boston over Pitt in 7

NJ over Caps in 6

SJ over Calgary in 5

Detroit over Vancouver in 4

Boston over NJ in 6

Detroit over SJ in 7

Detroit over Boston in 6

Unanimous so far ... Boston over Montreal. First Round.

Several other predictions, i.e. NJD, Washington, Pittsburgh, SJS, Detroit .... and to a lesser extent Chicago over Calgary ... Vancouver over STL ...

I think some upsets are possible, probably very likely. This NHL is VERY close in skill. These matchups, IMO, will probably surprise some folks.

I have a feeling we are gonna see some suprises

Boston vs Montreal- Boston Sweep

NYR vs Washington- NYR in 7

Carolina vs NJ- NJ in 5

Pitt vs Phi- Pitt in 5

SJ vs Anaheim- Ducks in 7

Our Wings vs CBJ- Wings sweep

Chicago vs Calgary- Calgary in 7

St Louis vs Vancouver- Vancouver in 6

Eastern Conference:

Washington over NYR in 5

Pitt over Philly in 7

Boston over Pitt in 5

New Jersey over Washington in 7

New Jersey over Boston in 6

Western Conference

Vancouver over St Louis in 7

Calgary over Chicago in 7

San Jose over Calgary in 6

Detroit over Vancouver in 7

Detroit over San Jose in 6

The Cup stays in Detroit in 5 games over New Jersey.

Prince of Wales

Boston over Montreal

NYR upset Washington

NJ over Carolina

Pitt over Philly

Boston over NYR

NJ over Pitt

NJ over Boston

Clarence Campbell

SJ over Anaheim

Detroit over Columbus

Vancouver over StL

Chicago over Calgary

SJ over Chicago

Detroit over Vancouver

Detroit over SJ

Stanley Cup Finals

Detroit over New Jersey in 5

Here's the First Round Predictions from the "Experts" (Barnaby, Buccigross, Burnside, Hradek, LeBrun & Melrose) at ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news/_/id/4067079/2009-stanley-cup-playoffs-experts-picks

All picked the Bruins, Capitals, Wings, Canucks & Hawks to win their series. Melrose was the only one to choose the Flyers over the Penguins & the Ducks over the Sharks, and Buccigross & LeBrun were the only ones to choose the Devils over the Canes.

Here's the First Round Predictions from the "Experts" (Barnaby, Buccigross, Burnside, Hradek, LeBrun & Melrose) at ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news/_/id/4067079/2009-stanley-cup-playoffs-experts-picks

All picked the Bruins, Capitals, Wings, Canucks & Hawks to win their series. Melrose was the only one to choose the Flyers over the Penguins & the Ducks over the Sharks, and Buccigross & LeBrun were the only ones to choose the Devils over the Canes.

Pretty much a given considering the Habs have several key players out for the first round with injuries.

I'm sticking to my sleeper pick AKA my I'm crazy but making the pick anyways, and saying St. Louis is going to beat the Canucks. Maybe just because the Blues have been playing well heading into the playoffs, but they're my upset special.

I didn't want to create a whole new thread for a single video, so I figured I'd put it here. Its a commercial that deadspin posted, pretty funny. Don't date within your division!

I'm sticking to my sleeper pick AKA my I'm crazy but making the pick anyways, and saying St. Louis is going to beat the Canucks. Maybe just because the Blues have been playing well heading into the playoffs, but they're my upset special.

Not crazy at all, Vancouver fans are giddy but also quite nervous. The Canucks missed the playoffs last year and were still sitting outside the playoff position this season on February 1. So it's not like the Canucks are an established powerhouse.

By the way, if the top 3 seeds all win in the West's 1st round, it would be Wings-Canucks in round 2. It would be INSANE around here. I own a condo just 8 or so blocks from GM Place. Probably would be like nothing I've experienced since living on campus at U of T in downtown Toronto during the '87 Tigers-Jays pennant race (I was in Asia on business the week in '02 that the Wings-Canucks played in the playoffs).

Pretty much a given considering the Habs have several key players out for the first round with injuries.

Lang and Markov are losses. But surprisingly, Schneider has been playing through his shoulder injury.

I would like to see Wings over Devils, so that is what I will pick. I also prefer winning every series in 6 games, so I will predict that as well.

Not crazy at all, Vancouver fans are giddy but also quite nervous. The Canucks missed the playoffs last year and were still sitting outside the playoff position this season on February 1. So it's not like the Canucks are an established powerhouse.

By the way, if the top 3 seeds all win in the West's 1st round, it would be Wings-Canucks in round 2. It would be INSANE around here. I own a condo just 8 or so blocks from GM Place. Probably would be like nothing I've experienced since living on campus at U of T in downtown Toronto during the '87 Tigers-Jays pennant race (I was in Asia on business the week in '02 that the Wings-Canucks played in the playoffs).

Wow, I hadn't done the analysis for a second round pairing. I realize you're Wings all the way, but the prospects of a second round match-up between athe WINGS and CANUCKS has to be an exciting thought. I've always wanted to go the Pacific northwest (Washington, Oregon), but I'd certainly include Vancouver if I did go out there.