FloridaTigers

So is THIS the real reason more numbers haven't been retired?

I gotta think Trammell will eventually get a statue. The five guys on the right are clearly the top five Tigers of all time in my mind but if Willie Horton got one, then I think Trammell deserves one.

Good point, but im sure if they wanted to retire some more that they would find a way.

I gotta think Trammell will eventually get a statue. The five guys on the right are clearly the top five Tigers of all time in my mind but if Willie Horton got one, then I think Trammell deserves one.

That logic just opens up the floodgates though, because a lot of Tigers were better players than Horton.

Newhouser was the best pitcher in franchise history but he's not one of the top 5 players. He has a statue because he's one of only two pitchers in Tigers history (Bunning) to ever make the hall of fame. Crawford, Heilmann, and Mickey Cochrane are higher level HOFers but Cochrane is an A's player and Crawford and Heilmann played before and just after Tiger Stadium opened so people don't give them their due.

ETA: Willie Horton's statue isn't about baseball as much it is about what he did for Detroit in tough times. I don't think he deserved a statue and still don't but Willie is a Detroit guy through and through so I don't protest much.

I'm pretty sure it's just painted brick. They could add more by re-doing them all but just a little smaller in size.

I've never been to Comerica before, but is there room for more statues to line up if they had to repaint smaller numbers?

I agree with you guys Horton is up there for more than just stats. But I also think Trammell holds a special place in Tigers fans hearts, much the same way Jeter does for Yankees fans, even if he is not the greatest shortstop.

Well the Tigers have not issued #1, #11, and #47 since Lou, Sparky and Jack left the team and only issued #3 to Sheffield with Trammell's blessing.....so I would expect that sometime those numbers will be retired.

Well the Tigers have not issued #1, #11, and #47 since Lou, Sparky and Jack left the team and only issued #3 to Sheffield with Trammell's blessing.....so I would expect that sometime those numbers will be retired.

There is a difference between retiring and not letting people use them. Look at the Red Wings, no one is going to be using 16, 6 or 2 anytime soon but those wont be retired (although 6 was but got taken down, long story)

I will probably get ripped for this comment but I dont think Trammell should have his number retired.

I'm not gonna rip you, but...

...if being a Tiger for 20 seasons (joining Cobb and Kaline as the only others to be here that long); winning the World Series MVP; being the face of the franchise in one of the most successful eras in team history; by far the best shortstop in team history -- and a class act and nice guy, to boot -- doesn't deserve to have his number retired, then pray tell, who does???

I think they could also put statues in right field where everyone stands in front of the smoking section. maybe 5 or 6 more even

I will probably get ripped for this comment but I dont think Trammell should have his number retired.

Other than being able to show everyone here how un-biased you are, I really see no reason to expect them not to. It will probably happen at some point in time.

The Lions face an interesting conundrum if they take Matthew Stafford. His number is 7 which has been retired in honor of Dutch Clark. Dutch was the best player of the 1930's but does retiring that number really have any meaning any more? Perhaps when he was still alive but how many fans can remember him play?

With regard to the issuing of numbers, I don't think that's an organizational thing as much as it's the call of Jim Schmakel, the clubhouse manager.

With regard to the issuing of numbers, I don't think that's an organizational thing as much as it's the call of Jim Schmakel, the clubhouse manager.

Jim has been in the Tiger organization forever. Who was it before him...Bill Behm? That's going back aways.

Quick trivia: When Kaline first got here, he originally was given number...?

I'm not gonna rip you, but...

...if being a Tiger for 20 seasons (joining Cobb and Kaline as the only others to be here that long); winning the World Series MVP; being the face of the franchise in one of the most successful eras in team history; by far the best shortstop in team history -- and a class act and nice guy, to boot -- doesn't deserve to have his number retired, then pray tell, who does???

I will admit I am only old enough to remember the end of Trammell career, so I probably dont have the personal connection to him a lot of you guys do who watched him all 20 years.

I will admit I am only old enough to remember the end of Trammell career, so I probably dont have the personal connection to him a lot of you guys do who watched him all 20 years.

I don't think Tram's number should be retired alone -- it would have to accompany the retiring of #1.

If you look at Tram and Lou's stats, they're each just a shade under HOF material. But when you take them together, they are, hands-down, the best double play combination ever, and something that's unique in baseball history. Never before had a keystone combo performed so well for so long. Fans don't often think of players in pairs, but with Tram and Lou, you can't have one without the other.

There have been a few DP combos that, for a short time, consisted of better players than #1 and #3 (for awhile there, the Orioles' DP combo was Cal Ripken and Roberto Alomar). But Trammell and Whitaker were excellent for so many years -- they were together far longer than any DP combo in history, and, if memory serves, they were together longer than any other teammates in history.

So Tram was more than just a darn good player. He was part of something that has never been done in the history of baseball -- and, with the way players jump all over the place nowadays, likely won't ever be repeated.

I think tram deserves it, his is one of the first baseball names I remember, due to my dad's love of the tigers and being born in 1982 I was alive for those good years, if not too young to appreciate those years fully. I was alys Tram in back yard baseball (or cecil when i launched the ball over a few neighbors' yards haha...)

I also give him some credit as mananger too, the tigers were better than the decade prior when he coached. and while he never got them to the playoffs they competed despite some clubhouse griping from certain players and not having much in terms of arms. In fact the next year they did make the playoffs, only after the rise of verlander, zoom, and miner, a healthy year from maggs, and a good year by robertson and inge... just the three arms alone could have changed that 2005 team to a serious contender if they came one year earlier...

I don't think Tram's number should be retired alone -- it would have to accompany the retiring of #1.

If you look at Tram and Lou's stats, they're each just a shade under HOF material. But when you take them together, they are, hands-down, the best double play combination ever, and something that's unique in baseball history. Never before had a keystone combo performed so well for so long. Fans don't often think of players in pairs, but with Tram and Lou, you can't have one without the other.

There have been a few DP combos that, for a short time, consisted of better players than #1 and #3 (for awhile there, the Orioles' DP combo was Cal Ripken and Roberto Alomar). But Trammell and Whitaker were excellent for so many years -- they were together far longer than any DP combo in history, and, if memory serves, they were together longer than any other teammates in history.

So Tram was more than just a darn good player. He was part of something that has never been done in the history of baseball -- and, with the way players jump all over the place nowadays, likely won't ever be repeated.

Agreed. I was born in '80 and I don't remember the '84 series, but the double play combo of Lou & Tram was what I grew up on. As a kid I just knew the two of them would be playing SS & 2B for my entire life.

Still, I think Trammell deserves the HoF on his own merits alone. Even without that I do believe the combo deserves a statue in CF. As you said what they embody is something unique to baseball and probably sports in general. Two players playing next to one another for that long with the same team...it's unheard of.

To be fair, after 1991, either due to injury or production, Trammell was essentially a part time SS.