monkeytargets37

The Jim Leyland is awesome thread

Would have been an excellent decision to bring in Perry last night too. God, I'm so bitter about that last night.

Would have been an excellent decision to bring in Perry last night too. God, I'm so bitter about that last night.

there is a big difference between bringing in a rookie with NO experience in a tie game v. in a 4 run lead. You dont know how Perry would have reacted in that situation

Quick prediction: This thread won't get nearly as many posts as the "Fire Leyland" threads.

there is a big difference between bringing in a rookie with NO experience in a tie game v. in a 4 run lead. You dont know how Perry would have reacted in that situation

I'd agree with this. He made poor BP decisions last night, but bringing in a rookie like Perry who threw 10 minor league innings last season and has demonstrated questionable control in a tie ballgame would have been a poor play. He should have either left Seay in longer or brought Rodney out in the 9th.

-Tony

Could have brought Rodney in after Lyon lost the game the first time...

But...we won tonight. The bullpen did a great job.

Yay.

We did enough complaining last night; why not celebrate the win tonight? To quote Rube Bressler, quoting the great Chief Bender: "Forget about what happened once the game is over. It's a matter of record; get ready for the next game."

Pulling Seay after he got one out to bring in a rookie who was wild and fortunate not to get into trouble was still pretty stupid

But yes, a Manager does look better when the players perform, and no matter how horrible (or great!) decisions a manager makes it's usually not going to make a 3-4 run difference like last night's abomination

Yea...that is true, but I wanted Perry in right after Seay. I stated outloud to my girlfriend as Lyon was trotting in 'This is a homerun waiting to happen.' I wanted Perry in the 8th after Seay, then Rodney in the 9th. So, maybe that would have been different. Still, a 3-1 lead with a runner on base would have been more difficult than Perry's situation tonight.

What kind of bullpen management is it when you tell the announcers that no matter what the score of the game Perry and Rodney are going to pitch that night?

You could more easily chalk this game up to luck than any type of in game management by Leyland.

Really, what kind of manager says before a game, "You're going to see pitchers x and y in relief no matter what"?

Is that good managing to decide that three games into the season pitchers x and y need work so, goddammit, they are gonna pitch tonight?

I like that he let Seay go 1.1 IP. If you look at his career splits, he has been more effective against RH than LH. Toronto is a perfect example of a team that uses lefties out of the pen as more than a LOOGY with Carlson, Downs and Tallet.

I posted this in the game thread, but it bears repeating here: During the postgame interview, Leyland said just that: He said Perry's heart was pounding like a jackhammer after his inning tonight, and Jim said he didn't want to bring the kid into a tie game when he was so keyed up.

I like that he let Seay go 1.1 IP. If you look at his career splits, he has been more effective against RH than LH. Toronto is a perfect example of a team that uses lefties out of the pen as more than a LOOGY with Carlson, Downs and Tallet.

Yes, yes, yes.

Hahaha......just think what happens when he can throw a breaking pitch for a strike. I don't think he got one over. I think Perry had something of an advantage that the hitters didn't have much of a clue of what they were going to see. Sure was nice to see him 1-2-3.

I don't like how Minor got yanked after 85 pitches, but the relievers came through tonight. Leyland made the right calls tonight, but they could had turned out just as bad as last night if one of Seay, Perry, or Rodney had an off-night.

Hahaha......just think what happens when he can throw a breaking pitch for a strike. I don't think he got one over. I think Perry had something of an advantage that the hitters didn't have much of a clue of what they were going to see. Sure was nice to see him 1-2-3.

I bet they have scouting reports on him. Just a guess.

think of it this way, if we had left seay in yesterday he probably wouldnt have pitched today and we would have Lyon today :dead: pick your poison, we cant use only 3 RP all year.

EXCELLENT decision to bring in Seay, Perry and Rodney tonight.

Was it really a decision to pitch Perry and Rodney? Leyland said before the game those two were going to pitch regardless of the situation.

I bet they have scouting reports on him. Just a guess.

Of course. But there are FBs, FBs with movement, etc. I'm sure they knew he threw up in the high 90's.

Jimmy looks like a hobo.

Yeah, he looked like he hadn't shaved in several days. Is he growing his playoff beard a little early? :ponder: