smr-nj

Can I get a little help here??

Well, it was painfully obvious that the Yanks were outplayed by Boston this weekend.

(thus far, Boston's the better team, and it pains me to say it. lol.)

But, the Tigers have been known to step up against the better team.

Pedro's going tonight, but had a bad outing last time.

I'm thinking the Tigers can get to him.

Also, with any luck, Sparks will bring his " A " game knuckler, and after the speed the Sox have been facing all weekend, maybe Mr.Sparks will have them totally fooled.

(but let's hope that the knuckler has some MOVEMENT.... cause if it goes in flat, the Sox will KILL him.)

Go Tigers.

The chances of the game being played are slim to none...

northeast_sat_440x297.jpg

Its raining hard and thundering and lightning...

Originally posted by DetroitFolly

HA! IF he has even REMOTELY decent stuff, this team will whiff til the cows come home.

I disagree. The Bosox have a distinct advantage when facing the Tigers. A smart manager of their team would have the Red Sox taking batting practice against their own knuckler a day or so before facing Sparks. Granted, it wouldn't be the same as a live game, but it certainly would give the team an idea of what a knuckler looks like.

Don't get me wrong here, when Sparks is really on, he's as impossible to hit as Barry Sanders was to catch in the open field. But having their own knuckler on the staff will help the Red Sox be better prepared for him than most teams.

HA! IF he has even REMOTELY decent stuff, this team will whiff til the cows come home.

Hmmm.

Here we see the dilemna in using pronouns.

Was Detroit Folly's " HE " referring to Sparks or Pedro? Was his "this team" referring to the Sox or the Tigers?

Was his statement mean to be:

"HA! If Pedro has even remotely decent stuff, the Tigers will whiff til the cows come home".

-or-

"HA! If Sparks has even remotely decent stuff, the Sox will whiff til the cows come home".

So,which is it?

You can practice all day against a knuckle ball pitcher, but if the knuckler is working you can forget it. You can't hit what aint there.:)

Originally posted by smr-nj

Was his statement mean to be:

"HA! If Pedro has even remotely decent stuff, the Tigers will whiff til the cows come home".

-or-

"HA! If Sparks has even remotely decent stuff, the Sox will whiff til the cows come home".

So,which is it?

Don't tell her - might drive her even more insane!

Originally posted by Buck

You can practice all day against a knuckle ball pitcher, but if the knuckler is working you can forget it. You can't hit what aint there.:)

Perhaps... but, as with all pitchs, I'm sure there are clues than can be picked up on. For instance, a knuckler's strange behavior comes from it's lack of spin. And less it rotates, the more eratic it becomes. Seeing enough knuckle piches may help a batter recongnize first when it IS the knuckle ball rather than a different pitch (Remember, some of Sparks best outing have been with he's been able to mix his pitches) and second when the balls rotating just enough that it may not jump much and is worth swinging at.

Originally posted by smr-nj

...But, the Tigers have been known to step up against the better team.

Pedro's going tonight, but had a bad outing last time.

I'm thinking the Tigers can get to him.

Also, with any luck, Sparks will bring his " A " game knuckler, and after the speed the Sox have been facing all weekend, maybe Mr.Sparks will have them totally fooled.

Oh my God! Who made that quote !!!

They must be a flippin' GENIUS !

(I know, I know.... really bush league to quote yourself and praise yourself. Evidentally, I'm totally shameless. :D )

Originally posted by Biff Mayhem

Yes, and I love you! :D

Oh hell, Biff..... you love everybody. ( Which explains those sores.)

:P

....that turned out to be a nail biter.

But in the final analysis, I was right. ;)

Pedro was hittable. :D

As official spokesperson for NYY fans everywhere,

THANK YOU, DETROIT !!

Sue we need to take you to Vegas!! Who would have ever even called that Tigers of all teams would jack Pedro tonight or even this season! ESPN should give you some time behind the mic!!!

Don't look now but it looks like the Sox are beginning their June free fall!!! Ha ha, the curse of the Bambino!!!

Actually, EWE.......... this is about where we were last year.

Not percentage-wise.....we're playing better ball, but we were behind the Sox about this time last year also.

And the Yankees are doing it without Pettitte and El Duque...

Plus, if you've seen the Red Sox middle relief perform, you can be pretty sure once the starting arms get a little weary, and they need to count on these "middle relievers", the Sox are in trouble.

( Plus, Pedro's already losing steam.)

Don't count those chickens just yet, EWE.

One more thing.

Do you suppose Manny's going to come back and immediately hit .370 ? And let's not forget that Manny's coming back from the finger injury, but his problem the last three seasons has always been hamstrings....... and you can expect to see him on the DL again with a bad hammy before the season is out.

I thought you meant Pedro, DF, but when I read Red's reply, I realized that your post could be taken either way....

Semantics........ gotta love it.

Originally posted by DetroitFolly

For the record, I was referring to Pedro.

Sparks isn't exactly a strikeout pitcher.

Well, true, but he can make some "professional hitters" look silly whiffing at some of those knuckle balls.

And Sparks did follow a Pedro "strike-em-out" inning with one of his own last night, didn't he? !! :)