Dino

Any chance Perry goes north as the closer?

I am not sure that Lyon is the best fit as this teams closer and Perry has been pretty lights out this spring. Is it too early to anoint Perry as the closer and use Lyon as a short reliever?

At this point I won't rule out anything, but I don't know if Perry is ready for a full season. I think he's a fill-in right now until Zumaya is ready to pitch, or at least that's probably their plan. They wouldn't make Perry this closer this quick though.

I'd prefer they use him like they did Zumaya in '06. Bring him in when they really need an out rather than in the 9th with a three run lead.

of the few games I've seen on TV so far, Perry has been very impressive for a guy with something like 13 innings in pro ball......However, I cant see Leyland using him as a closer.....but I think there is a good chance of him coming North....

I think the high leverage situations in the 7th and 8th innings when a guy comes in with men on base are more difficult then coming in in the 9th inning.

I think people are correct that Perry shold be used is these situations because he is so much better

If Lyon can do the Todd Jones role, we should be OK.

At this point I won't rule out anything, but I don't know if Perry is ready for a full season. I think he's a fill-in right now until Zumaya is ready to pitch, or at least that's probably their plan. They wouldn't make Perry this closer this quick though.

Sorry, I think he's ready. His stuff is electric. He's what Zumaya was in 2006, why wait. It's not like he has build up his stamina.....

Perry's ERA is impressive, but he's given up 7 BBs and 8 Hs in 10.2 IP. I'm not sure he's ready for high-leverage work at the MLB level.

Sorry, I think he's ready. His stuff is electric. He's what Zumaya was in 2006, why wait. It's not like he has build up his stamina.....

Except he has a flatter fastball and I don't think his curve is as good as Zumaya's. He does keep the ball low in the zone though, which should help.

Trying to compare Perry's slider to Zumaya's curve is going to lead one to believe the pitch isn't as good....simply because it doesn't break as noticeably. Perry's slider is a plus pitch, its hard, and has excellent bite late in the zone. It's a nasty pitch and every bit the quality of Zumaya's curveball.

I like having a power arm reliever like Zumaya and now Perry coming in for that 6 and 2/3 mop-up-strike out, then start the 7th. It's a lot harder to prevent a run when there is already a man on base opposed to the 9th when you come into a clean slate.

Trying to compare Perry's slider to Zumaya's curve is going to lead one to believe the pitch isn't as good....simply because it doesn't break as noticeably. Perry's slider is a plus pitch, its hard, and has excellent bite late in the zone. It's a nasty pitch and every bit the quality of Zumaya's curveball.

Fair enough. I've only seen him pitch a couple times and it just didn't look very good, but i'll take your word for it. I'm more concerned about the lack of movement in his fastball.

He's added a two-seam fastball to his arsenal that has more than enough movement. Hiis four-seamer is still straight and hard, but the two-seamer has been moving plenty and still working at 95-98....that's an old concern that hasn't been updated since the organization made some tweaks last fall at instructs.

Wow, good stuff here. I think Zumaya's lack of durability actually strenghens the argument for him become the closer oddly enough, rather than a setup role. Micro's information leads me to believe the brass intends on taking Perry North with a prominant role.

I have seen Perry pitch a couple times this spring. I just watched him yesterday here in Viera, Fl. Top speed on their radar gun was 97. I watched him warm up close in the pen and man does he have zip. Just watching his delivery was amazing! He gave up one hit and saved the one run lead. Here are some pics I took of him yesterday, enjoy!

DSC03729.jpg

DSC03730.jpg

DSC03733.jpg

DSC03740.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

DSC03743.jpg

DSC03744.jpg

It would not surprise me if Leyland brought Perry north, but I don't think it will be as the closer. Maybe just until Zumaya is ready, & then let him close in Toledo.

I don't mean to be a debby downer here, but the sooner we stop relying on Zumaya to come back and Rodney to throw strikes the better off we will be.

I don't mean to be a debby downer here, but the sooner we stop relying on Zumaya to come back and Rodney to throw strikes the better off we will be.

Kind of how Seattle stopped relying on Guillen to ever be a healthy, productive contributor? I completely agree. Especially when the player is already 24. If it hasn't happened now, it never will.

It would not surprise me if Leyland brought Perry north, but I don't think it will be as the closer. Maybe just until Zumaya is ready, & then let him close in Toledo.

Wow, I'm amazed people on here still think Zumaya is the Tiger's future closer. I will be happy if Zumaya can pitch in 50 innings this year in the 7th.

There is a difference between dumping Zumaya (like Seattle did Guillen), and not relying on him. It's been two years since he was healthy and productive, but yet people keep thinking he's going to be a savior. Sure, it's possible, but the franchise can't expect it. It needs to assume he won't give us anything, and then any production we get will be a bonus.

Kind of how Seattle stopped relying on Guillen to ever be a healthy, productive contributor? I completely agree. Especially when the player is already 24. If it hasn't happened now, it never will.

As usual, you miss the point completely. . . and have to be a jerk about it. I said rely on. Let Zumaya get healthy. Don't rush him. Don't think he's going to be the guy he used to be right away. As far as Rodney, why give him an important role until he can do his job consistently. He hasn't shown that.

I completely agree Jake. I think, quite contrarily, to what Yoda said regarding his age. I know you were being sarcastic Yoda about his age, but the fact that he's had such damaging injuries structurally to his arm/ finger, etc. are a huge factor why he isn't one to rely on. Zumaya and Rodney are extremely expendable in my opinion at this point.

Jake, we're agreeing a lot lately...

I completely agree Jake. I think, quite contrarily, to what Yoda said regarding his age. I know you were being sarcastic Yoda about his age, but the fact that he's had such damaging injuries structurally to his arm/ finger, etc. are a huge factor why he isn't one to rely on. Zumaya and Rodney are extremely expendable in my opinion at this point.

Just give Zumaya some time. He might be OK. But we can't rely on him.

Thank you. I completely agree. As for Perry. It's hard to tell if he's ready or not. I say bring him to Detroit. Try him out. Whats the worst thing that happens, he gets hit around a little bit and he gets sent down to AAA? Big deal, he's only 21 and only has 13 innings of pro ball under his belt. I know one thing, no matter what, he'll still do better then Rodney.