vasteras

Who is your goalie?

And your goalie is.....  

24 members have voted

1. 1. And your goalie is.....

• Dom
    • Cujo
    • Manny, and spend 17 mil elsewhere

If Dom comes back, what would you do if you were the Wings GM?

I'd keep Cujo. You don't know when Dom would bolt again. If there ends up being season after next year, I'd rather go into it with Cujo and Manny than Manny and who knows. Plus, I think we'd get more for Dom in trade to a team who feels they're a goalie away from the Cup (and I hope nobody here actually tries to argue we're a goalie away from the Cup). You can't discount the fact that by October it'll be about a year and a half since Hasek has played. I don't care if "experts" say the layoff is a good thing. Nobody knows that. It is a question mark.

I'll admit, off the ice I like Cujo a ton and am indifferent at best towards Dom so it plays a small role in my thought process. It could be better for Cujo to leave because next year until the playoffs (and even more so when they start), he'll have a rough year. Fair or unfair, this town has a bad taste in their mouth with him already.

So, who would you keep?

Considering the work stoppage situation I may go with Hasek. Who could we get more for? We'd have to exercise the option on Hasek by Monday, then he'd have to agree to a trade.

This is not what Holland needed right now. I would like to see Joseph win a cup here. I think he gets a bum rap.

I'd go with Dom because they'd only be commited for one season. No one knows what's going to happen with the new CBA, so best to keep the long term contracts to a minimum. Also, I think he's the best of the three goalies.

Larry Brooks of the NYPost (who is the king of speculation and using things like "we've learned..." or "we've been told.." so that he can say virtually anything, because Bill on the corner could have told him these things) says that the Rangers would possibly deal Lindros to the Wings for Cujo. If Fedorov leaves I'm sure Holland would jump all over it. I'm sure Yzerman has some influence, and he and Eric are tight.

Lindross and Shanahan are also pretty close.

I will not root for Lindross. Never. Not in my lifetime.

Is that stemming from the draft thing? If so, I can understand.

But what has happened since he has gotten to New York is sort of remarkable. It turns out the guy is probably the biggest team player on the Rangers. Everybody loves him. There was one man behind the fiasco in Philly, and many other fiascoes, and that is Bobby Clarke. I have some friends in Philly who are starting to realize how big of an *** Clarke is because ever since Lindros left, more and more has come out showing that that whole thing was created and inflamed by Clarke.

But as I said before, if it's the draft thing, I understand totally.

Terry Foster says the Wings and Hasek have agreed on a deal for him to play next year. It would rest on dealing Joseph.

Call me crazy, but I see us with neither goalie in one year, if the NHL plays the '04 season. Some (MCO only, so far) would say that isn't all that bad. I like Manny too, but I am not sure exactly how much.

The more you look at this, the more complex it gets. If the Wings wanted to keep Cujo, Hasek would have the leverage wouldn't he? If he said he doesn't want the Wings to trade him unless he picks the team and they can't agree on that, he would become a FA, and likely end up in Denver.

And Drew Sharp brought up a good point on XYT. Would a Philly pick up all $8 mil on Cujo? If not, you're basically paying Hasek 11 or 12 mil or whatever, based on what you have to eat.

If it's Philly for Cujo, the guy I think we'd end up with is Justin Williams. They won't take on a player with money probably.

Also, none of this matters if Sergei leaves.

Yeah it's mostly from the draft. I also remember him making a comment lamenting the fact that Canadian teams were leaving Canada. Well, if he hadn't pulled his shenanigans, Quebec may have stayed. Oh well, that was a long time ago.

I said I'd never root for Hull either and as I got to "know" him, I changed my mind. He's a goof.

Just a random thought I had. Do you think it's possible that part of the deal for Hasek to return is that he'll have to eat whatever the Wings may have to eat on Joseph's contract?

In other words, if his option is for $10 million and the Wings can only trade Joseph if they cover $2 million, then Hasek will get $ 8 million.

Then again, Hasek can say, No and become a free agent.

Then again, maybe Hasek only wants to come back if he can be a Wing.

Maybe Joseph started all this by wanting to be moved and he talked to Hasek and convinced him to come back.

I'm cynical and never believe things happen as we see them.

The best part is that he helped Quebec win a Cup.

I was the same way with Hull. I like him. I now know that he just talks to talk and is for the most part harmless.

Chelios too. He hasn't had to play the same role here as he did in Chicago.

If Hasek does come back alot will depend on who will agree to a trade. Both Hasek and Cujo have no-trade clauses with the Wings. The way I see it, the Wings trade Cujo to NYR or Philly and keep Hasek. This puts the team in better position before the CBA expires. The Wings will have purged the 8 million contract from their roster and be better prepared to handle life after the CBA expires. Also, there probably won't be much of difference in trade value between Cujo and Hasek when its all said and done. Every team in the league knows that Holland would have to move one or the other thereby reducing the trade market value of either player (something similar to the Osgood situation). I like the idea of having Hasek for one last push with StevieY and then start the short rebuilding process after the CBA expires.

Also, I think that this situation is not necessarily a bad one for Holland. I mean having strong comodities like Cujo and Hasek (every team in the league needs goaltending-darn near) puts detroit in a strong position. I think this is a type of problem that Holland would be happy to deal with.

Speaking as a goaltender, and a hockey snob that actually plays the game (sorry Vas)... Manny Legace is a better goaltender than Curtis Joseph. Manny still has something to prove which Joseph has shown he can't, but until he proves the same, I'd take Manny Legace going into the playoffs.

do you think that makes your opinion more valid?

because it doesn't...

First of all, I have played years of hockey and realize that Vas knows more about the game than you and I put together MCO, so step down off the high horse for just a minute. Second, Cujo hasnt "proved" that he couldnt win anything. Dom wouldnt have beaten JS Giguere this year, nor would have Terry Sawchuck, or even MCO. Dom hadnt won a cup either, and barring a lucky break in game 3 last year, you might be saying the same thing about Hasek. That being said, I like all 3 goalies quite a bit, and wouldnt be terribly uncomfortable with any of them in net, even during a playoff run, but to say that Legace is better than Cujo is just without any merit. I won't say he isnt a quality player, but he isnt, in my opinion, the goalie that Curtis Joseph is.

The kids I went to school with played hockey and they didn't know much about the game. The fact that you play just means that you can say you have gotten sweatier than I have.

Ken Holland was a goalie who played the game and he went out to get Cujo to play so Legace woudln't have to.

Originally posted by MotorCityOrangeman

Speaking as a goaltender, and a hockey snob that actually plays the game (sorry Vas)...

Huh.... evidentally I was wrong in the other thread...

You obviously CAN be a bigger ASSHOLE.

You really do have some nerve, MCO.

Hell Sue, I'll openly admit I can. Nice people aren't interesting. I give Vas credit for admitting he's a hockey snob as well. Sorry if I don't gloss it over for you. I don't believe you can have a realistic idea about the position unless you've played it.

Simply stunning. Now you've made a comparison between a coach that played the game and won more Stanley Cups than anyone else in hockey history (and even he admitted having trouble understanding goaltenders and was criticized, even by his goaltenders for his lack of knowledge of the position) and someone who doesn't even play the game...

to compare your play to the pinnacle level is simply stunning. They discuss and go over things that even the great MCO has no clue about. Don't pretend you do.

MCO -- You still haven't responded to the fact that Ken Holland -- an ex-goaltender -- went out and got Cujo to play in front of Legace. So you are saying that you know more than the guy who had a major hand in building the Red Wings championship team.

Sue, MCO doesn't have the panache to be an ASSHOLE -- he's just an adolescent trapped in a 20-something body. I'm sure he actually believes that he knows more about goaltending than Ken Holland, but his prose is too blunt and obvious for him to be considered an ASSHOLE.

Well.....

Back to the original question, I'd have to take Cujo, much like Vas, I've always been partial to the guy, i've liked him everywhere he went. I'd think you would have to question the drive in Dom compared to Cujo, what's bringing Dom back to the game, money. The only reason he is coming back is because this is the last year in which he can make a whole pile of money. Cujo on the other hand still hasn't won a cup and has the drive and desire to win one, while Dom has the drive and desire to pocket 8 million. I think that chip on Cujo's shoulder which is, proving that he too can bring a cup to Detroit an he himself should be considered a top tier goalie, is great and will help in the end.

BTW, you can get double the amount back for Dom than you could for Cujo, if i'm going with Philly i'd say Gagne, he had a terrible year last year and Philly was shopping him at the deadline.