JonBenke

4th pick in the draft

Well he is up to 225 now, so I'm thinking if he can put on another 20 pounds by November he'd be pretty solid. Hell even 10 pounds and maybe another 10 in the months following.

http://aol.nba.com/pistons/news/draft_central2003.html

They have a nice list of all the players who have worked out for us -- some of these I knew of, some I did not...

PRE-DRAFT WORKOUTS

Darko Milicic

Leandrihno Barbosa

Troy Bell (Boston College)

Lavell Blanchard (UM)

Jermaine Boyette (Weber St.)

Ronald DuPree (LSU)

Malcom Fields (Ohio Central State)

Reece Gaines (Louisville)

Willie Green (Detroit)

Travis Hansen (BYU)

Marcus Hatten (St. John's)

Jerry Holman (Minnesota)

Sam Hoskin (DePaul)

Josh Howard (Wake Forest)

Sani Ibrahim

James Jones (Miami)

Bernard King (Texas A&M)

Jason Kopono (UCLA)

Will McDonald (S. Florida)

Kendrick Perkins (Ozen HS)

Hollis Price (Oklahoma)

Blagota Sekulic

Tommy Smith (ASU)

Wesley Wilson (Georgetown)

and

Chris Bosh (Georgia Tech)

???

I never knew he came in for a workout.

Obviously Joe has something he could be cooking up -- if he's working out a "high lottery pick". Just a thought.

It's all about scouting. Before the draft each team has an opportunity to assess each player in individual workouts, and their medical history. The reason why Anthony and James didn't work out for the Pistons is their teams probably didn't want the Pistons to get the information available at these workouts. I can see why James didn't work out, but I don't see why Anthony didn't. It kind of exposes his competitiveness, or lack thereof.

Come on, by the time 'Melo cancelled his workout with the Pistons it had long been a foregone conclusion that the Pistons were going to draft Milicic. To question his competitiveness is definitely a stretch.

I'm agreeing with MCO on this one. Carmelo's as competetive as anyone...I think he saw the writing on the wall, and figured it didn't make sense to work out for Detroit.

Why risk injury when you don't have to?

I think he showed his competetive nature in that nice title run.

cruzer1

It's all about scouting. Before the draft each team has an opportunity to assess each player in individual workouts, and their medical history. The reason why Anthony and James didn't work out for the Pistons is their teams probably didn't want the Pistons to get the information available at these workouts. I can see why James didn't work out, but I don't see why Anthony didn't. It kind of exposes his competitiveness, or lack thereof.

I thought you bring in guys you're thinking about drafting.

Maybe Bosh came in before Detroit was set on Darko, I don't know. But, I know for a fact he's not gonna slip to the 25th pick. I understand scouting. Thanks for the two cents though. I was just wondering if anyone knew when Bosh came in. That's why I mentioned it.

:classic:

Thanks for the List JoB! I didn't realize they had had that many players in for workouts. It is interesting that they have had several players in that are expected to go in the late lottery or just after.

Yeah - that made me think of your mid-first round trade -- which would work for Detroit. Troy Bell was just picked 16th - WOW. Andy Katz said something about a three team deal -- never mentioned those two other teams.