Johnny Mac

Lions to take Jason Smith?

I'm sad because its not Curry but I'm VERY happy that its not Stafford. Hopefully the rumor holds true and we can get a good MLB later on.

If true, I guess i'm not overly upset. While I would have loved to give away this pick, I was leaning towards Stafford or defense.

I remember the Texans a few years ago holding "negotiations" with 2-3 players. Mario Williams was the deal that got done first, so they took him. I'd guess the same thing is true here. Probably talking to more than one player.

I'm guessing this is in one of the draft threads, but if you're looking for information on Smith, here's an interview link:

http://profootball.scout.com/2/823851.html

By all accounts I've read he's an exceptional character guy. Apparently he also graduated his junior year and has taken graduate classes at Baylor since. That's probably meaningless from a football perspective, but still good to know.

-Tony

By all accounts I've read he's an exceptional character guy. Apparently he also graduated his junior year and has taken graduate classes at Baylor since. That's probably meaningless from a football perspective, but still good to know.

-Tony

It means he's mature and has a (short) history of making good decisions. Does it significantly alter the on-field product? Probably not to a great deal but its a slight positive rather than a negative.

I'm not a huge fan on Jason Smith, but as long as they don't pick Stafford I can live with it. I still think Curry is the BPA.

the website updated it a little

Lions | Drafting J. Smith No. 1 overall?

Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:11:33 -0700

Updating a previous report, KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions are expected to select Baylor University OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. The Lions are currently negotiating with Smith, University of Georgia QB Matthew Stafford and Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry, but Smith is believed to be the Lions' choice, according to sources with intimate knowledge of the situation. An announcement could be made within the next two weeks.

I don't put too much faith in these rumors... right now. Still very early and there's still a very good reason for the Lions to be sending out a lot of smoke screens. I read somewhere that Kiper thinks the Lions are going with Stafford and the other talk is just a smoke screen, while here it's Smith and the others are just decoy.

Give it a couple of weeks and then we'll really get a good idea of where they are headed.

Known for his pass-protection skills, Smith displayed solid drive-blocking technique in 2008. The team gained more than 65% of its rushing yardage on running plays to the left. With Smith leading the way, the Bears finished 21st in the nation and third in the Big Twelve Conference with an average of 195.75 yards per game on the ground. With their left tackle hobbled in 2007, Baylor ranked 113th nationally with 77.83 yards per game rushing.

Baylor didn't have Robert Griffin in 2007, so this stat doesn't really mean a whole lot.

I don't put too much faith in these rumors... right now. Still very early and there's still a very good reason for the Lions to be sending out a lot of smoke screens. I read somewhere that Kiper thinks the Lions are going with Stafford and the other talk is just a smoke screen, while here it's Smith and the others are just decoy.

Give it a couple of weeks and then we'll really get a good idea of where they are headed.

Hell, if this move is just to bait St. Louis to swap spots, I think we are going to be very happy with this draft.

Hell, if this move is just to bait St. Louis to swap spots, I think we are going to be very happy with this draft.

If Mayhew gets St. Louis to switch spots, getting us an extra 2nd rounder... AND we still have our choice of Stafford, Monroe, Raji, or Curry... well, I'm just going to...

I'm going to...

Well, I don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe scream or something. I will be impressed for certain.

But... I don't think St. Louis will take the bait. They'll just start exclaiming their love for Monroe and how he is really their #1 choice, if "the draft falls that way". End of Mayhew's bait.

No one wants the #1 pick, im willing to bet the pick is not traded. There are plenty of good O-Line in the draft, St Louis is not going to trade a pick to move up one spot to pay more money to take a guy when a similar guy is available at their pick.

No one wants the #1 pick, im willing to bet the pick is not traded. There are plenty of good O-Line in the draft, St Louis is not going to trade a pick to move up one spot to pay more money to take a guy when a similar guy is available at their pick.

I think I just said that. In a way.

I was responding to Fool Inc post, didnt even see we were on a 2nd page

Hah!!!

So you're saying we're ON THE SAME PAGE?!?!?!?!

:grin:

I don't think it's going to happen, but rumors are St. Louis has a huge boner for Smith.

And don't we forget the Millen was able to swap with Cleveland, so anything is possible.

Here's my preferred list:

Smith

Curry

Monroe

Sanchez

Raji

In that order. If we trade down 3 or 4 spots(assuming we can, of course) at least one of those players will be available and we fill a need.

Ew.

Oh fine just because my list doesn't look like yours-

Stafford

Stafford

Stafford

Stafford

Stafford

Staffords cousin

Staffords dad

Staffords grandpa

Staffords mom

Staffords great grandma