Johnny Mac

Lions to take Jason Smith?

Another team might want to talk trade.

The Lions might want to wait til they go through all the private workouts.

Needs might change as FA isn't over yet.

No one wants the #1 pick because of the cash reasons and Denver isn't trading Culter right now.

And taking Jason Smith (or Monroe) makes me a happy panda.

And if that's the case, the Lions can still back out, no?

I just think that things could still change. Players could still be cut or released that would change things.

Just to reverse it, and I'm asking honestly, what good does it do to get this done now?

If we do take Smith, we have our T locked down for the future which is a good thing. Our o-line would look not so bad. We still do not have a qb however.

I just think that things could still change. Players could still be cut or released that would change things.

Just to reverse it, and I'm asking honestly, what good does it do to get this done now?

Well for starters there aren't going to be any LT that we'd want if released would want to come to the Lions without being overpaid, so it's not like we are going to miss out on anything there.

And by picking Jason Smith, the Lions will have a better understanding of their cap situation, focus more time on deciding who to take with the 20th pick, and can work Backus out as a OG sooner.

If we do take Smith, we have our T locked down for the future which is a good thing. Our o-line would look not so bad. We still do not have a qb however.

The Dolphins went to the playoffs with Chad Pennington.

i love this paragraph

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/516673

Known for his pass-protection skills, Smith displayed solid drive-blocking technique in 2008. The team gained more than 65% of its rushing yardage on running plays to the left. With Smith leading the way, the Bears finished 21st in the nation and third in the Big Twelve Conference with an average of 195.75 yards per game on the ground. With their left tackle hobbled in 2007, Baylor ranked 113th nationally with 77.83 yards per game rushing.

im hoping this is all a ruse to get St Louis at 2, who i have read has Smith targeted at their first pick to make a swap..ala Cleveland a couple years ago for Winslow. Otherwise, I believe he is just one of a number of guys they are starting initial talks with in regards to contracts. It would be dumb to publicly declare our pick this far out. You could still easily start working out Backus at G at the facility without telling reporters.

Is it really that hard to believe that maybe the Lions actually want Jason Smith? Maybe he's actually the guy they feel comfortable with taking, and don't feel the need to trade down? Maybe they don't want Stafford?

If he's the guy they want, who cares if they sign him now or April 25th?

Is it really that hard to believe that maybe the Lions actually want Jason Smith? Maybe he's actually the guy they feel comfortable with taking, and don't feel the need to trade down? Maybe they don't want Stafford?

If he's the guy they want, who cares if they sign him now or April 25th?

yea, waiting on more confirmation but its not unprecedented to sign the #1 pick ahead of time, in fact its better IMO because it avoids any chance of a hold out.

Well for starters there aren't going to be any LT that we'd want if released would want to come to the Lions without being overpaid, so it's not like we are going to miss out on anything there.

And by picking Jason Smith, the Lions will have a better understanding of their cap situation, focus more time on deciding who to take with the 20th pick, and can work Backus out as a OG sooner.

A LT could come in a trade. Highly doubtful, I agree.

They should have a grasp on it already. And the rookie pool isn't announced yet.

Backus at guard...I'd love it.

yea, waiting on more confirmation but its not unprecedented to sign the #1 pick ahead of time, in fact its better IMO because it avoids any chance of a hold out.

But this is over a month in advance. I believe the draft day 1 is the 24th right?

But this is over a month in advance. I believe the draft day 1 is the 24th right?

gives them a month to work out a contract. If they cant reach a deal the Lions can start looking elsewhere. If they decided who they wanted what difference is a month going to make?

Like everyone has said, it at least gives them some trade options. It isn't like the option for a trade is greater now than leading up to the draft when teams get antsy.

Like everyone has said, it at least gives them some trade options. It isn't like the option for a trade is greater now than leading up to the draft when teams get antsy.

No one is going to trade for the #1 pick. No one wants to take on that contract. The Dolphins found this out last year. You cant hold out hope on a trade for that pick.

But you can work on it silently and hope for a trade offer.

if they know who they want, id say go for signing him because the trade is very unlikely. And who knows, maybe it was working on silently but someone leaked it.