RSS Feeder

Last bench spot a tough call for Leyland

I remember the throw Inge made on opening day against KC.

You can say all you want that Clevlen's centerfield defense is overrated, but other then Inge, who do we have for late game situations in the outfield? Thames? Im not liking the idea of Guillen (who has been DHing during the WBC), and Magglio in the outfield with a slim lead and a pitch to contact closer in Lyon. IMO, Clevlen's defense, overrated or not, is not worse then the other option.

Sure you can move Inge out there but then your putting a wild card at third in Larish. Assuming Thames sticks with the team, do we need Larish to back up first?

We also lack speed off the bench and Larish does not offer that. Brent and Clete do. Im not sure, entering the year, that Clete is the answer considering that he hasnt throw most of the spring. They may want to see him play day in and day out in Toledo.

If Inge backs up center, when does he get a day off? I know Grandy will be in the lineup more then most, but still. Also, I wonder if Inge will even want to play out there.

In short, a backup centerfielder or extra outfield answers more needs then Larish does. Rather it be Clevlen or Thomas, we need a good defender in the outfield and some speed on the bench other then Ramon.

I remember the throw Inge made on opening day against KC.

You can say all you want that Clevlen's centerfield defense is overrated, but other then Inge, who do we have for late game situations in the outfield? Thames? Im not liking the idea of Guillen (who has been DHing during the WBC), and Magglio in the outfield with a slim lead and a pitch to contact closer in Lyon. IMO, Clevlen's defense, overrated or not, is not worse then the other option.

Sure you can move Inge out there but then your putting a wild card at third in Larish. Assuming Thames sticks with the team, do we need Larish to back up first?

We also lack speed off the bench and Larish does not offer that. Brent and Clete do. Im not sure, entering the year, that Clete is the answer considering that he hasnt throw most of the spring. They may want to see him play day in and day out in Toledo.

If Inge backs up center, when does he get a day off? I know Grandy will be in the lineup more then most, but still. Also, I wonder if Inge will even want to play out there.

In short, a backup centerfielder or extra outfield answers more needs then Larish does. Rather it be Clevlen or Thomas, we need a good defender in the outfield and some speed on the bench other then Ramon.

I can see the argument that keeping both Thames and Larish makes no sense. That is why I think Thames should be traded for a mid-level prospect as soon as possible. That we can keep Larish as a backup at third, first, and rightfield.

The thing that is really hurting this team right now is that Sheffield is basically worthless. He can't hit or field anymore. All he is doing now is eating up a spot on the roster.

If the Tigers send Willis to the minor leagues and he doesn't accept, do we have to pay him his contract? I think the only option at this point is to send him to the minors, (rather than cut him or keep him) and see if he miraculously turns things around down there. There is no sense in cutting him and paying him to be in another organization.

I am stating that the Tigers are not (IMHO) ready to risk letting Clevlen go on waivers. For THIS REASON ALONE, he makes the squad.........at least for the beginning of the season. That's just the way I'm predicting it will pan out. For Larish, he's done everything to show he's ready to be on a full time ML roster.

My ONLY question with these moves are --- what if (small possibility I know) Everett AND Polanco go out for a brief stint when we ONLY have Santiago to fill in for the middle infield? -- THAT's the need to keep Raburn, even though IMHO he hasn't done anything offensively nor defensively in ST to warrant keeping him. But, the hole in the middle is a little concerning.........

Bearing in mind both their respective values to the organization and the respective values of what they could bring in if traded, whom does it make most sense to trade:

Thames?

Clevlen?

Larish?

Guillen?

For those wondering about Larish's versatility....

1B - He's an above average defender and he's continued to improve, could become a plus defender here in time.

3B - Showed average range, soft hands, and a strong/accurate arm during the Arizona Fall League. His instincts were rusty, but he improved rapidly and even showed a good ability to make throws and plays on the move to both sides. Both Rocket Wheeler (manager) and Ryne Sandberg (hitting coach) were impressed with his work at third base in the AFL when I spoke with them.

OF - Hasn't played much in games, but has worked out quite a bit there during the fall and spring, also played the position extensively at Arizona State. He has average range and plenty of arm strength, but his routes are a bit circuitous at time, and his jumps can be delayed. A couple people I've spoken with think with more time out there that he would be an average defender, others have indicated he'll always be a bit rough, but could handle it if need be.

Bottom line, he has the versatility they claim, we just haven't witnessed it in games this spring.

I'd like to see them try to trade Thames and keep one of the younger guys instead.

OF ------ those sure are comforting thoughts.

Like I said, for them to put out in media circles that he can play corner OF positions is pure window dressing!

Plain and simple ------

It's Larish for sure.....

................somehow, they take Clevlen as well.

i.e............Marcus to DL, take 12 pitchers for first week, something will fall together.

They won't put Clevlen on waivers......

Why do people assume Larish can hit at the ML level? As a 25 year old 1b/dh in AAA, he wasn't that good and he was terrible with the Tigers. Just because he hits left-handed doesn't mean he's better than Thames.

The Giants traded Ronny Paulino to the Marlins for low minors prospect Hector Correa. Thats the type of trade that id expect to see for Thames.

Although Paulino is a catcher, and Thames is a one dimensional power hitter that im sure other teams can find cheaper options if they want that type of player.

Why do people assume Larish can hit at the ML level? As a 25 year old 1b/dh in AAA, he wasn't that good and he was terrible with the Tigers. Just because he hits left-handed doesn't mean he's better than Thames.
I'm not really convinced either way. He had 104 at-bats with Detroit, batting a fairly juiceless .260, but I don't recall him getting very regular at-bats. He did manage 16 RBI so he wasn't a total waste.

I'm not really convinced either way. He had 104 at-bats with Detroit, batting a fairly juiceless .260, but I don't recall him getting very regular at-bats. He did manage 16 RBI so he wasn't a total waste.

From what ive heard from scouting reports and what have you, scouts are split on Larish as well. They either think he will be a good hitter or that he wont be, so its not surprising that us fans are split on him.