Vonlenska

Lions to resume Cutler talks

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/03/lions_poised_to_pounce_as_cutl.html

Source: Lions, Broncos will discuss QB Jay Cutler

by Tom Kowalski

Monday March 16, 2009, 8:25 AM

According to a league source, the Detroit Lions will continue to talk to the Denver Broncos about the possibility of acquiring quarterback Jay Cutler in a trade.

Cutler's anger with Denver initially began when he learned that the Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were involved in active trade talks. An effort to mend fences reportedly has done more damage than good.

In a story that was originally reported by NFL.com, the Broncos were in trade discussions a couple of weeks ago with Detroit and Tampa Bay. The Broncos wanted those teams to acquire Matt Cassel from the Patriots and then turn around deal Cassel to them in exchange for Cutler.

The Lions have plenty of ammunition to use in a deal, they have five draft picks in the first 82 choices in the upcoming draft. But more teams are expected to enter the bidding for Cutler.

Since everyone is calling Stafford a bust, how is it we all KNOW that Cutler will be good here?

Lions will trade #20 and Ernie Sims to Denver for Cutler and Denver's 2nd round pick.

No. I'd much prefer a swap of 1sts and a 2nd or 3rd from Denver.

Since everyone is calling Stafford a bust, how is it we all KNOW that Cutler will be good here?

seems a little over-the-top to call a guy a bust when he hasn't even played a down yet!

Good grief.

I don't know that anyone is calling Stafford a bust. Rather, I think people are questioning how well he will do as an NFL QB. Probably a lot of that is residual fear stemming from the Joey Harrington failure. But beyond that predicting which college QBs will be successful NFL QBs is not an exact science and many can't miss QBs have failed. Likewise some late round picks who obviously were not highly thought of by some turned out to be pretty dang good.

So, why are people higher on Cutler? Cutler has shown some success in the NFL. He'd certainly be somewhat of an unknown here as we don't know how well he'd do with the less talent we have here, as well as in a different system. But at least we do know that he can produce in the NFL... that he can read NFL defenses, that he can react to the speed at which the NFL game is played, and that he can lead an NFL team. We can check off those boxes with a solid YES. Those boxes need to be all check as UNKNOWN with Stafford.

Correct me if i'm wrong in any of this...

Cutler has a 17-20 record. Has not been able to get the team to the playoffs, especially in 2008 when they had a 3 game lead over San Diego with only 3 games left to play. He has a career 54-37 TD-INT record and has 24 fumbles in 37 games.

Maybe i'm not seeing his GREATNESS? Or does he have those intangibles that shows he can win, he just hasn't used them yet?

The Lions wouldn't be giving up their whole draft for the guy. I'd much rather have him than Stafford.

Correct me if i'm wrong in any of this...

Cutler has a 17-20 record. Has not been able to get the team to the playoffs, especially in 2008 when they had a 3 game lead over San Diego with only 3 games left to play. He has a career 54-37 TD-INT record and has 24 fumbles in 37 games.

Maybe i'm not seeing his GREATNESS? Or does he have those intangibles that shows he can win, he just hasn't used them yet?

Don't penalize a QB for mediocrity in their first couple of seasons, and take into account the context of the Broncos (awful defense, no-name RBs)

Again then that asks why you think he will be anything here? Are you saying Detroit is a better team than Denver?

Also in the 3 games that Denver couldn't win at the end of the season Cutler was 2-4 TD-INT, so it isn't like he was helping the team win either.

I don't know that anyone is calling Stafford a bust. Rather, I think people are questioning how well he will do as an NFL QB. Probably a lot of that is residual fear stemming from the Joey Harrington failure. But beyond that predicting which college QBs will be successful NFL QBs is not an exact science and many can't miss QBs have failed. Likewise some late round picks who obviously were not highly thought of by some turned out to be pretty dang good.

So, why are people higher on Cutler? Cutler has shown some success in the NFL. He'd certainly be somewhat of an unknown here as we don't know how well he'd do with the less talent we have here, as well as in a different system. But at least we do know that he can produce in the NFL... that he can read NFL defenses, that he can react to the speed at which the NFL game is played, and that he can lead an NFL team. We can check off those boxes with a solid YES. Those boxes need to be all check as UNKNOWN with Stafford.

Well said. But with all this stuff going on in Denver, what about his attitude? That worries me a bit. Trade our #1 pick for Cutler and Denver's #1 pick? I would probably go for that.

You know, I think I'm starting to like the way the Lions new management is doing things. I guess we'll see how well they address needs during the draft.

Cutler just threw for 4500 yards, had a completion percent of 62.3 and a very respectable 25/18 TD ratio.

Considering those numbers, that'd be the best season for a Lions QB in a LONG time.

No. I'd much prefer a swap of 1sts and a 2nd or 3rd from Denver.

I'd rather see that too, but I doubt that is gonna happen.

Denver's position is weakend right now, but I still don't see them giving us their first and second (or thrid) and Jay Cutler for the #1 pick.

Denver would be frickin crazy to trade Cutler away and not get a QB back.

The 20th ain't gonna do it folks.

This is why I am guessing that if I trade happens, we'll be swapping the 1st for the 12th. Will there be more to the deal? Probably, but the swap seems to be a given unless there are three teams involved.

I just hope they don't give up Sims for him. Sims has so much potential, and with a solid LB corp, I think our defense will be dramatically better. Losing Sims would be a difficult pill to swallow.

This is why I am guessing that if I trade happens, we'll be swapping the 1st for the 12th. Will there be more to the deal? Probably, but the swap seems to be a given unless there are three teams involved.

Yes. Thats reasonable value for Cutler.

I can't believe the 20th pick will do it. Especially when Cutler would be an upgrade over about about 20 other teams QBs.

Yes. Thats reasonable value for Cutler.

I can't believe the 20th pick will do it. Especially when Cutler would be an upgrade over about about 20 other teams QBs.

Value wise, I think it's worth it considering Culter is pissed off enough to demand a trade. However, there is going to be a lot of interest and Denver will need a QB.

I just hope they don't give up Sims for him. Sims has so much potential, and with a solid LB corp, I think our defense will be dramatically better. Losing Sims would be a difficult pill to swallow.

I think you are serious. There are those out there that disagree. He gets run over a little bit at times.

Bringing in Peterson and potentially drafting Curry (or at least drafting a LB at 20 or 33) would make trading Sims hurt a litlle bit, but not devastating to an 0-16 team.

Value wise, I think it's worth it considering Culter is pissed off enough to demand a trade. However, there is going to be a lot of interest and Denver will need a QB.

Yes again, there could be surprise teams that jump in the mix somehow.

Surprise team: Eagles for example

right now, Cutler would be the best QB the lions have ever had (Im my 30 years as a fan so I guess from 80)

It's not even close. How can you not like a deal? I would give 1.1 for Cutler and a 3rd.

I would actually give 1.1 for Cutler straight up. Save money in the long run, Can still draft a LT @ 20 then go D the rest of the draft.

Can you Imagine Cutler to Calvin???????

I think McD thinks he can turn Simms into a viable starting QB in the NFL. He certainly doesn't want to put up with any more of Culter's bs, which could make Cutler easier to acquire.

I'd give up 20 and 33 for Cutler, but I wouldn't touch that #1 pick. Esp. since both sides (should) know that Sanchez will probably be around at 12, Simms is that stop-gap between the Cutler and Sanchez time periods.