slim pickens

Cory redding traded to Seattle?...

Lol. Manning's Junior year he threw for 3200 yds with 20tds and 12ints. Stafford's Junior year? 3400 yds 25tds 10ints. Using those numbers, one could easily argue that Stafford was better than Manning at the relatively same time in their careers. Besides, numbers alone do not reflect talent. Stafford IS more talented than Manning was. You can make the argument that after Manning's Senior year, he had more awareness and accuracy than Stafford did after his Junior year. However, the numbers indicate that Stafford has the potential to do just as well as Manning. Potential isn't everything, of course, but it's there, and denying that it's there is ignorant.

Manning's junior year was his worst season as a starter while Stafford's junior year was his best. Look at their stats over their college careers (completion %, TD:INT, etc.) and it isn't even close.

Even in Stafford's best year he didn't reach the AVERAGE completion % that Manning had. Not to mention Manning's 2.5+ TD:INT ratio as compared to Stafford's 1.5.

The two are not even close statistically when taking into account their entire college careers, not to mention Manning made the smart move and stayed his senior year to help develop. If you can honestly say that you believe Stafford is more talented than Manning before he made one professional snap, you are utterly hopeless.

We'll grab a guard in the later rounds...There's always next year to grab a good tackle, he'll be able to step in and contribute right away. We don't need to protect someone while he's sitting on the bench...this is a rebuild and Stafford doesn't need to be thrown into the fire without the proper amount of time to develop. My prediction is that Stafford may start the last 6 games, if he's absolutely ridiculously ready and prepared to.

If we take Stafford at 1, mark it down, we take a tackle at 20 or 33.

3 scary blurbs from Peter King's small article on the trade.

1)The Seattle Seahawks, unable to get disappointing pass-rusher Julian Peterson to take a pay cut, traded him to Detroit Saturday

2)Peterson, 30, had just five sacks in 2008 and was part of the reason why the Seahawks' vaunted linebacking crew contributed to an awful season in Mike Holmgren's last year as coach.

3)Peterson has shown flashes of being a great rush linebacker, but he's given the 49ers and Seahawks only 46 sacks in nine seasons.

Sounds a little harse for describing a pro bowler. Is this guy good or not?

I definitely don't think Lions fans should expect Peterson to return to Pro-Bowl form. He is an old LB on the decline. The positives of the trade are that the Lions filled a hole on next year's defense and freed up cap space in future years. They had to give up a 5th round draft pick to do it. They also had to use up a lot of 2009 cap space but I agree that giving up 2009 cap space for more cap space in 2010 and beyond is a good move at this point.

Did you watch the Lions defense last year, Redding was a no show, and Paris Lenon was playing LB.

Yes, I did. Did you watch Julian Peterson or the Seahawks last year? Peterson wasn't very good.

I definitely don't think Lions fans should expect Peterson to return to Pro-Bowl form. ...

Peterson would be a great mentor to Aaron Curry, IMO. Start Curry at Mike this year, and shift him to Sam next year...

Just a thought...

I'm still sifting through this one. Even a declining Peterson is still better than the best player on this defense last year. I also like getting rid of Redding's massive contract and the flexibility of Peterson's deal. I do not like anything that may keep Chuck Darby in the middle of the Lions defense as this deal may end up doing.

Seattle should be happy as I see Cory Redding becoming a very solid player with a change of scenery. They ended up getting a guy that could be a key part of their interior defense for the next 5 years in exchange for an aging player they were planning on cutting anyway.

Manning's junior year was his worst season as a starter while Stafford's junior year was his best. Look at their stats over their college careers (completion %, TD:INT, etc.) and it isn't even close.

Even in Stafford's best year he didn't reach the AVERAGE completion % that Manning had. Not to mention Manning's 2.5+ TD:INT ratio as compared to Stafford's 1.5.

The two are not even close statistically when taking into account their entire college careers, not to mention Manning made the smart move and stayed his senior year to help develop. If you can honestly say that you believe Stafford is more talented than Manning before he made one professional snap, you are utterly hopeless.

Yeah, those numbers were helped by a terrific Senior year. My point is, at equal points in their career, they compiled comparable stats, a point that apparently went right over your head, or you're choosing to ignore it because it doesn't benefit your argument in any way. It doesn't help that we cannot know what type of Senior year Stafford would have had, although I'm willing to bet with a healthy offensive line and more mature receiving corps, it would have been pretty great. However, when looking at the draft and seeing that the #1 pick could come down to a linebacker, an offensive tackle in a very deep year for tackles and that team also holding pick #20, and yourself, and that team's biggest need is arguably quarterback, you have to come out.

Yes, I did. Did you watch Julian Peterson or the Seahawks last year? Peterson wasn't very good.

I watched every down of every game including preseason. He had a good season. Played hard and well. The problems the Seahawks had had nothing to do with him. Playing a third-string QB, losing their top 3 receivers for the majority of the season, and a line consisting of 5 back-ups for several games had more to do with their troubles than anything else.

I watched every down of every game including preseason. He had a good season. Played hard and well. The problems the Seahawks had had nothing to do with him. Playing a third-string QB, losing their top 3 receivers for the majority of the season, and a line consisting of 5 back-ups for several games had more to do with their troubles than anything else.

Ok, I am not disagreeing, but then why did they want to cut him? If he is still anywhere near his pro-bowl form why would they trade him for Cory Redding?

Ok, I am not disagreeing, but then why did they want to cut him? If he is still anywhere near his pro-bowl form why would they trade him for Cory Redding?

They wanted him to restructure and he wouldn't do so. There are some money issues there as they had to franchise their other outside linebacker (LeRoy Hill who has emerged as a big-time player). They really needed a DT as Rocky Bernard, who has been pretty good for them for several years, signed with the Giants as a FA. The trade made sense roster-wise as they are also deep at LB with some pretty good guys. This puts DD Lewis as the starter in Peterson's place. He is solid and costs a lot less.

The Lions just had one of the worst seasons in pro sports history. They are cleaning house as much as possible, which is exactly what they should be doing. It's true that the right way to rebuild is through the draft and acquiring young players, however, there is a lot of potential for turnover from one year to the next in the NFL and every team has older players on it. It's necessary to have some older players, especially good older players who can be the face of a franchise. This seems like a good move for the Lions looking at it from that perspective and also looking at needs and salary cap implications. It would be nice if they had a 4th round pick, though.

Peterson is a good guy for them to have in their transition time as he plays hard on every down. I keep thinking of Sam Adams who the Seahawks drafted and worked with for years before giving up on him. He was a complete unstoppable monster for about 5 plays per game and loafed the rest of the time. Not the kind of model you want for a young, developing team and a team without depth. You want guys who will show the young players how to be a successful pro.

What? He's one of the best cover linebackers in the league. Even at 30+ he's still very fast and very good.

They were going to cut him for $$ reasons, not because he was no longer a good player. The Seahawks have a lot of good LBs and a need for a DT. The Lions need anything that's any good. It's a good trade.

Don't listen to Peter King. It's hard for Peter to pay attention with his head so far up Brett Favre's *** all season long.:classic:

I've been in South Carolina for a week and a half, and this is the first time I've seen or heard of this. Personally, I love the trade. We dump Redding & his bloated salary & get a good LB.

I still like the trade.

We took about 2m cap hit, but Pete's contract is no longer guaranteed either.

He won't be around forever obviously, but he could help out a young LB core greatly if thats the way the Lions go. He will still be a very good player as well.

Yeah, those numbers were helped by a terrific Senior year. My point is, at equal points in their career, they compiled comparable stats, a point that apparently went right over your head, or you're choosing to ignore it because it doesn't benefit your argument in any way. It doesn't help that we cannot know what type of Senior year Stafford would have had, although I'm willing to bet with a healthy offensive line and more mature receiving corps, it would have been pretty great. However, when looking at the draft and seeing that the #1 pick could come down to a linebacker, an offensive tackle in a very deep year for tackles and that team also holding pick #20, and yourself, and that team's biggest need is arguably quarterback, you have to come out.

But Manning also had vastly superior freshman and sophomore years. I also think Stafford should have remained in school for another year instead of opting out. Honestly, this is a non-argument no one can possibly say that Stafford is even close to as talented as Manning.

Peterson isn't a kid anymore and is in obvious decline. I'd still draft Curry #1 ahead of anyone else. That kid is going to be great.

The reason for the trade initial delay.

A knee injury reportedly almost nixed the Seahawks' trade for Cory Redding before further testing eased concerns.

Redding, who battled a bum knee for much of last season, had an issue with a tendon and the deal was initially delayed. He won't be ready for Seattle's first minicamps, but should be ready to start at left end by Week 1.

per rotoworld