slim pickens

Cory redding traded to Seattle?...

Fantasy land? Stafford will likely go #1, and that's a fact. Your credentials (as far as being correct with any of your posts) are considerably underwhelming.

Seriously, you are one of the last people that should resort to attacks on credibility. Need I remind you ...

He's more talented than Peyton Manning.

EXACTLY...our two best drafted players last year were 2nd day picks (Smith and Avril). Gosder is good too, don't get me wrong, but Avril led the rookie class in sacks as a situational pass rusher and Smith had a strong performance dispite splitting time for the first part of the year. I think we can get a nickle corner/punt returner, and a #3 WR on day two at least.

Day 1 picks are QB, DT, LB...mark it down.

You very well could be right! Would not surprise me at all! I am still a proponet of talking the best player on my board, regardless of position. I think the Lions, as bad as they were, have the luxury of needing any and all positions with quality players..... only possible exception being Crabtree in 1A!

EXACTLY...our two best drafted players last year were 2nd day picks (Smith and Avril). Gosder is good too, don't get me wrong, but Avril led the rookie class in sacks as a situational pass rusher and Smith had a strong performance dispite splitting time for the first part of the year. I think we can get a nickle corner/punt returner, and a #3 WR on day two at least.

Day 1 picks are QB, DT, LB...mark it down.

If we draft a QB, we are going to need to protect him.

You very well could be right! Would not surprise me at all! I am still a proponet of talking the best player on my board, regardless of position. I think the Lions, as bad as they were, have the luxury of needing any and all positions with quality players..... only possible exception being Crabtree in 1A!

How 'bout Maclin?

Seriously, you are one of the last people that should resort to attacks on credibility. Need I remind you ...

I was wrong for posting that about his credibility, but I'm also allowed to state my opinion, sir.

Why would the Lions ever want to give up the highest paid interior lineman in NFL history?? Don't they realize that franchises are built on scrubs like Redding??????

I don't understand why people like this trade. The Lions got older, lost cap space and gave up a 5th round draft pick. By the time the Lions are a playoff-calibur team Peterson will be too old to help them. Someone please explain how this helps the Lions (btw I'll admit I don't understand the cap ramifications to this deal).

Plus it increases the odds that Darby (a guy I don't like) will have to start.

Did you watch the Lions defense last year, Redding was a no show, and Paris Lenon was playing LB.

He has more God-given ability than Manning. Manning is one of the best QB's of all time. Also, one of the most cerebral, and hardest working ever. If Stafford wants to be as good as Manning, he'll have to work as hard as him, and he'll be in good shape.

So do Kyle Boller and Ryan Leaf, big arm doesn't mean all that much in the NFL, you only need to have an adequate arm, accuracy/intelligence and demeanor are much more critical.

So do Kyle Boller and Ryan Leaf, big arm doesn't mean all that much in the NFL, you only need to have an adequate arm, accuracy/intelligence and demeanor are much more critical.

He's got alot more than that.

At the risk of getting flamed, I think Mayhew has been a little bit sacrificing the future with band aid type fixes for 2009. Mayhew really only has this season to prove himself, and I think he'd rather have a 6 win season with older guys than a 3 win season with younger guys. Of course, the draft is still to come so there is an opportunity to do both.

IMO, free agency should be used for band aid type fixes. There have been only a few "big name" free agents that have been worth the money. Most of the time they never live up to the hype. I can understand what Mayhew is doing. He is upgrading the roster (hard to downgrade) withOUT sacrificing the future by signing ridiculious contracts that will kill the salary cap in the future.

I think Mayhew believes he needs to build a respectable club before he can get some bigger free agents that will come to play here for reasonable contract.

He has more God-given ability than Manning. Manning is one of the best QB's of all time. Also, one of the most cerebral, and hardest working ever. If Stafford wants to be as good as Manning, he'll have to work as hard as him, and he'll be in good shape.

Cruzer: I've grown to respect you and I certainly hope you are correct with your evaluation of Stafford if indeed he becomes a Lion. Your opinions and research on him have made me want to draft this guy! However, I am expecting to see you seated next to him on draft day offering an embrace when his name is called.

Cheers, Mr. Stafford. :classic:

Welp, with this trade, if Mayhew can go out and get Cutler, then the day after they release the new logo I will order my Martin Mayhew #35 Lions uniform.

He's got alot more than that.

Not that I've seen or heard or read. All everyone says is about his arm. Not his decision making, making teammates better, his performance in the clutch, etc. All you ever hear is:

1) 3 year starter in SEC

2) His LT went down so that excuses any mistakes he made last year

3) His rocket arm

Never heard anything else.

How can someone compare Manning and Stafford? Really? We knew he had the mental toughness and the ability to succeed as a pro due to pedigree. He grew up in the NFL due to his dad. He had a mentor from day 1. He also completed 60% of his passes each year. Stafford did it once.

I truely can't believe someone has such a man crush on the guy they're trying to compare an award winning QB in college to a guy that finished 2nd team SEC. Get real. Sure he has potential, but that's all it is. You don't spend a #1 overall pick on a guy that is 80% potential and 20% resume.

For the argument about cap space, did we really lose on this trade? I haven't seen any figures, but I figured based on Peterson being a pro-bowl LB and Redding getting severely overpaid, that is was a wash.

While I approve of the trade, IMO we did get better talent wise, this takes a D-line that was underwhelming already and takes the best player off of it. As Seattle proved last year, you can have a great linebacking core and still suck.

Theres more then three picks in the draft though...

Apparently the Lions are high on Cliff Avril, he was a 3rd rounder.

I think its ludicrous that we can't fill needs in the 2nd day. There's plenty of talent that could be drafted on day 2. It doesn't hurt to go QB, OT with 1a and 1b.

I agree with this. I was just looking at Lofa Tatupu's stats. He was picked in the mid-40s in his draft year and won defensive ROY that year. The Lions need to have their scouts scouring for those lower round diamonds in the rough.

For the argument about cap space, did we really lose on this trade? I haven't seen any figures, but I figured based on Peterson being a pro-bowl LB and Redding getting severely overpaid, that is was a wash.

While I approve of the trade, IMO we did get better talent wise, this takes a D-line that was underwhelming already and takes the best player off of it. As Seattle proved last year, you can have a great linebacking core and still suck.

We got hit for 2 million because we traded Redding, but other than that Peterson is better for our cap because we will be able to cut him if he turns out to be a bust without getting another cap hit.

the cap argument is silly. so the lions lose a little ca space ths year? it's not like they're going to go out and sign an expensive free agent. the cap flexibility in the future is more imortant.

plus they got the better player in the deal.

the cap argument is silly. so the lions lose a little ca space ths year? it's not like they're going to go out and sign an expensive free agent. the cap flexibility in the future is more imortant.

plus they got the better player in the deal.

Exactly...couldn't agree more with this statement.

3 scary blurbs from Peter King's small article on the trade.

1)The Seattle Seahawks, unable to get disappointing pass-rusher Julian Peterson to take a pay cut, traded him to Detroit Saturday

2)Peterson, 30, had just five sacks in 2008 and was part of the reason why the Seahawks' vaunted linebacking crew contributed to an awful season in Mike Holmgren's last year as coach.

3)Peterson has shown flashes of being a great rush linebacker, but he's given the 49ers and Seahawks only 46 sacks in nine seasons.

Sounds a little harse for describing a pro bowler. Is this guy good or not?

Actually we lost a good amount of cap space in this trade. Redding was going to count around $5 million against the cap, but now we're taking the blunt force of over $7 million for trading him, on top of that now we have to pay Peterson's salary, which I'm guess it's in the ball park of around $6 million.

So all in all, had the trade not happened we'd be paying redding around $5 million, but now we're dishing out around $13 million because of all the guarenteed money to Redding counting against the cap this year.

Actually we lost a good amount of cap space in this trade. Redding was going to count around $5 million against the cap, but now we're taking the blunt force of over $7 million for trading him, on top of that now we have to pay Peterson's salary, which I'm guess it's in the ball park of around $6 million.

So all in all, had the trade not happened we'd be paying redding around $5 million, but now we're dishing out around $13 million because of all the guarenteed money to Redding counting against the cap this year.

but Redding's contract still had guarenteed money left and Peterson does not. We can cut Peterson whenever we want and not have to pay him anything

If we draft a QB, we are going to need to protect him.

We'll grab a guard in the later rounds...There's always next year to grab a good tackle, he'll be able to step in and contribute right away. We don't need to protect someone while he's sitting on the bench...this is a rebuild and Stafford doesn't need to be thrown into the fire without the proper amount of time to develop. My prediction is that Stafford may start the last 6 games, if he's absolutely ridiculously ready and prepared to.