slim pickens

Cory redding traded to Seattle?...

Thank you for answering yourself there.

But...your position wasn't simply that Freeman has the strongest arm in the draft, but that other's more credible than I had come to that same position. So it doesn't work.

As for Ryan vs. Stafford. Ryan was known for having all the intangibles and was widely touted as a great QB (but a bad thrower).

Actually he wasn't known for that at all. That's why he was heavily criticized for the 19 interceptions he threw (double the number Stafford threw last year). He was known for keeping a cool head when his team was down and being a great leader. You know...the sort of leadership that is required to bring your team back from an 18 point deficit in your Freshman Bowl game, or having to bring your team back in the last couple minutes in an away SEC game.

Stafford is known for having questionable intangibles (spottiest play from a #1 QB prospect I've ever seen) and is a great thrower (but an average QB)

Spottiest play from a #1 QB ever...yet his QB ratings was significantly higher in his last year than Matt Ryan's.

That's the scouting report. Continue to live in your "Stafford ist das Ubermench" fantasy land all you want. Best QB in a bad year is nothing special.

It doesn't matter if Stafford was in last year's draft, this year's draft or next year's draft he would always be the top QB off the board.

As I see it now:

1 - Matt Stafford, QB

20 - Rey Maualuga, MLB or Ziggy Hood DT

33 - Ron Brace DT or James Laurinitis MLB

I could see several draft scenarios (I'm putting picks up through our first 3rd rounder...):

1 - Matt Stafford, QB

20 - Vontae Davis, CB

33 - James Laurinitis, MLB

65 - Ron Brace, DT (two-down run defender... don't think he'll go high in the 2nd...)

1 - Aaron Curry, MLB

20 - Alex Mack, C/OG (possibly after a trade-down to a mid-20's spot)

33 - Josh Freeman, QB

65 - Ron Brace, DT

1 - Jason Smith, LT

20 - Ziggy Hood, DT

33 - Josh Freeman, QB

65 - CB/ MLB/

1 - Matt Stafford, QB

20 - Ray Maualuga, MLB

33 - Elben(sp) Britton, OT

65 - WR/ TE

In other words... I don't see any options CLOSED AT THIS POINT... (including making a trade for Cutler!!! Which would change EVERYTHING!!! (Just mentioned below by nd1377...))

Guaranteed. Throw away the keys. Lock it up.

Even if the Lions trade for Cutler?

I'm still hoping for Curry as the number 1 pick. That sounds exciting with him at MLB.

Really? because he's only played that position in the nickel package. I'd much rather take Monroe or Jason Smith, slide Backus to guard, and take a MLB and DT with the next two picks (though probably it would be Hood with the 2nd 2st rounder).

Really? because he's only played that position in the nickel package. I'd much rather take Monroe or Jason Smith, slide Backus to guard, and take a MLB and DT with the next two picks (though probably it would be Hood with the 2nd 2st rounder).

It is worth a try, imo. Curry is the best defensive player in the draft and makes plays all over the field. They probably need to cut Peterson in a year or two anyway so if it doesn't work out they can move Curry back to SSLB. But I think it will work out just fine.

He's more talented than Peyton Manning.

You have to be joking right? Even if we take into account only their college stats, Manning was leaps and bounds superior.

Manning's College Career

Attempts Comp. Comp % Yards INT TD's
1994 144 89 61.8 1141 6 11
1995 380 244 64.2 2954 4 22
1996 380 243 63.9 3287 12 20
1997 477 287 60.37 3819 11 37
Total 1354 851 62.85 11201 33 90

Stafford's

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2006 135 256 1749 52.7 6.83 53 7 13 12 108.99
2007 194 348 2523 55.7 7.25 84 19 10 15 128.92
2008 235 383 3459 61.4 9.03 78 25 10 17 153.54

Based on these numbers how can you possibly claim that Stafford is more talented than Manning, not to mention Manning's already HOF career. No offense, but in my honest opinion all your credibility was tossed out the window with that comment.

It is worth a try, imo. Curry is the best defensive player in the draft and makes plays all over the field. They probably need to cut Peterson in a year or two anyway so if it doesn't work out they can move Curry back to SSLB. But I think it will work out just fine.

This is the same reason I really don't want to draft Stafford. "It's worth a try" is not the mindset you want for the draft. Drafting the LT of the future and moving the aging veteran "is worth a try." Forcing Curry into the MLB role when it's not a sure thing, paying him top dollar to do it, having a ton of money for 3 natural outside linebackers, and not improving the OL is not worth a try.

If they somehow trade Sims in a deal for Culter or something, then I will go back to wanting Curry. Right now the safest choice is drafting Jason Smith or Monroe.

This is the same reason I really don't want to draft Stafford. "It's worth a try" is not the mindset you want for the draft. Drafting the LT of the future and moving the aging veteran "is worth a try." Forcing Curry into the MLB role when it's not a sure thing, paying him top dollar to do it, having a ton of money for 3 natural outside linebackers, and not improving the OL is not worth a try.

If they somehow trade Sims in a deal for Culter or something, then I will go back to wanting Curry. Right now the safest choice is drafting Jason Smith or Monroe.

I don't think any draft pick is a sure thing. You just have to accept the fact that drafting is a crapshoot. I am not opposed to getting an LT like Smith if they think he is better than Curry. They just have to get the guy who they think is the best player and not worry about the guys that they currently have. I think Curry is the best player available.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/same-old-lions/

SAME OLD LIONS?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 7:35 p.m. EDT

With multiple reports that the Seattle Seahawks were going to cut linebacker Julian Peterson after he refused a pay cut, the Detroit Lions opted not to wait for the inevitable release of Peterson.

Instead, they packed up a starting defensive lineman and a fifth-round pick in order to inherit the back end of the puffed up contract paid three years ago to Peterson, who’ll be 31 in July.

The move has renewed criticism of the Lions in league circles.

“If you went 0-16 would you trade a pick and a good young player for a 31 year old?” one league source asked us.

(Actually, if we went 0-16, we’d cash in whatever remaining chips we could scrape together and find a new line of business to screw up over an extended period of time.)

We’ve largely forgotten about the Lions because there are no games for them to lose in March, but league insiders still point to the franchise as a shining beacon of pro football ineptitude.

The arrival of former Jags V.P. of player personnel James Harris has done little to improve the front office’s image in league circles.

“[G.M. Martin] Mayhew is bad enough in trying to evaluate talent,” one source opined. “Instead of one guy not knowing what he’s doing now you have two guys doing the same routine.”

In fact, one league insider has been referring to Mayhew and Harris as the “Millen Twins.”

But there’s possibly good news on the horizon. Some league insiders expect that new coach Jim Schwartz will try to make a power play, if he can win at least five or six games in the wake of last year’s humiliating season.

Wow... This is some pretty scathing criticism.

You have to be joking right? Even if we take into account only their college stats, Manning was leaps and bounds superior.

Manning's College Career

Stafford's

Based on these numbers how can you possibly claim that Stafford is more talented than Manning, not to mention Manning's already HOF career. No offense, but in my honest opinion all your credibility was tossed out the window with that comment.

He has more God-given ability than Manning. Manning is one of the best QB's of all time. Also, one of the most cerebral, and hardest working ever. If Stafford wants to be as good as Manning, he'll have to work as hard as him, and he'll be in good shape.

I love how every talent evaluator, coach, and gm can say things like "Curry can play MLB in the NFL" and our fans still say things like "Curry is an SLB" or "Drafting a player and moving him right away is stupid"

Anyone else remember Brian Urlacher? You know, one of the greatest LBs of our time. He was a ******* Strong Safety in college. No coach cares WHERE you played in college. Its all about the player, his strengths, and the scheme he is going into.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/same-old-lions/

Wow... This is some pretty scathing criticism.

I'm not wild about the trade but I think that is unfair. Even if you accept the fact that the Seahawks were going to cut Peterson anyway, the Lions would still need to sign him as an FA in order to get him. Based on how the rest of FA is going he probably wouldn't have chosen Detroit. So they were able to fill a hole and get rid of a bad contract at the same time. I don't like giving up a 5th round pick, but that is the only part I don't like.

BTW, when they referred to Redding as a good young player is where they lost me.

Manning's College Career

Stafford's

+1.

I love how every talent evaluator, coach, and gm can say things like "Curry can play MLB in the NFL" and our fans still say things like "Curry is an SLB" or "Drafting a player and moving him right away is stupid"

Anyone else remember Brian Urlacher? You know, one of the greatest LBs of our time. He was a ******* Strong Safety in college. No coach cares WHERE you played in college. Its all about the player, his strengths, and the scheme he is going into.

Although the Peterson trade lessens the chance of Curry it does not eliminate it. Another good point, maybe the LB coach (Schwartz) who hired the LB Coach (Cunningham), and whose protege (Bates) is an LB Coach...wants a good LB corps?

SIMS-CURRY-PETERSON is a great group with Dizon/Lewis/Nece as backups. Draft Hood@#20 and the defense looks pretty caulked up (old but not as leaky)

However, SIMS-MAUALUGA-PETERSON is still a good group if Raji is first off the board. Replace Maualuga with Cushing/Laurinaitis/Beckwith if you wish.

Do you have an article saying this?

The whole thing here is the amount of confidence in Stafford. Personally, I think there is a better chance that he ends up like Kyle Boller than Ben Roethlisberger. But there is no doubt that he has talent and could definitely be good.

I don't think anyone would question a 1st round of Stafford/Maualuga, that is a damn good start. But IMO, having Curry with Peterson and Sims is too good to pass up. I'm pretty sure that, at the very least, Curry is going to be the Defensive ROY next year, why not build with a talent like that? Replacing Redding isn't too tall of a task and Peria Jerry would be pretty nice at the 20 spot.

Defense wins championships.

I'm still hoping for Curry as the number 1 pick. That sounds exciting with him at MLB.

I don't like the idea of drafting a LB so high.

Bart Scott got a 6 year, 48 Million dollar contract. The largest contract for a 3-4 ILB, I believe its the biggest for any MLB including 4-3 MLBs.

That puts him in about the same spot as the 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

Even if Curry is projected to be better then Bart Scott, you're still overpaying Curry by 10-20 million to play MLB, with no proof that he will succeed with the shift at all, plus we are talking about a defensive coaching system that doesn't value the MLB all that much to begin with.

I worry about teams that will draft Curry thinking he can move into a different spot. I could easily see him struggling in the MLB or WLB position, being moved back to SLB, and taking a big cut in pay by year three.

I believe with this trade we added the veteran version of Aaron Curry, and there are other good LBs who have played the MLB position and would be better.

If we are looking for a MLB, I would go James Laurinitis, or Ray Maualuga any day, even over Curry.

I don't think any draft pick is a sure thing. You just have to accept the fact that drafting is a crapshoot. I am not opposed to getting an LT like Smith if they think he is better than Curry. They just have to get the guy who they think is the best player and not worry about the guys that they currently have. I think Curry is the best player available.

Exactly. Take the best player available.

That being said, if they think Stafford is just as good as Curry, then you have to take Stafford because he's a QB.

I bet they can get Curry or Raji or Smith signed to a better deal than the one they can get Stafford to sign.

Exactly. Take the best player available.

That being said, if they think Stafford is just as good as Curry, then you have to take Stafford because he's a QB.

I bet they can get Curry or Raji or Smith signed to a better deal than the one they can get Stafford to sign.

better deal overall or better deal vs. position average? Sure you can get Curry signed for cheaper than Stafford but Stafford would not be the highest paid QB and even at cheaper price you are making Curry the highest paid LB

If we take Stafford, we have to spend another top pick on an OT.

We can just draft an OT this year with the top 3 and go defense, defense with 20 and 33.

I'm still not buying Stafford at 1.

Manning's College Career

Stafford's

Lol. Manning's Junior year he threw for 3200 yds with 20tds and 12ints. Stafford's Junior year? 3400 yds 25tds 10ints. Using those numbers, one could easily argue that Stafford was better than Manning at the relatively same time in their careers. Besides, numbers alone do not reflect talent. Stafford IS more talented than Manning was. You can make the argument that after Manning's Senior year, he had more awareness and accuracy than Stafford did after his Junior year. However, the numbers indicate that Stafford has the potential to do just as well as Manning. Potential isn't everything, of course, but it's there, and denying that it's there is ignorant.

If we take Stafford, we have to spend another top pick on an OT.

We can just draft an OT this year with the top 3 and go defense, defense with 20 and 33.

I'm still not buying Stafford at 1.

Theres more then three picks in the draft though...

Apparently the Lions are high on Cliff Avril, he was a 3rd rounder.

I think its ludicrous that we can't fill needs in the 2nd day. There's plenty of talent that could be drafted on day 2. It doesn't hurt to go QB, OT with 1a and 1b.

Theres more then three picks in the draft though...

Apparently the Lions are high on Cliff Avril, he was a 3rd rounder.

I think its ludicrous that we can't fill needs in the 2nd day. There's plenty of talent that could be drafted on day 2. It doesn't hurt to go QB, OT with 1a and 1b.

EXACTLY...our two best drafted players last year were 2nd day picks (Smith and Avril). Gosder is good too, don't get me wrong, but Avril led the rookie class in sacks as a situational pass rusher and Smith had a strong performance dispite splitting time for the first part of the year. I think we can get a nickle corner/punt returner, and a #3 WR on day two at least.

Day 1 picks are QB, DT, LB...mark it down.